[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Reasonable Free Agency targets
Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

4/26/2017  2:48 PM
This is a bad FA class for rebuilders. The Knicks should only look at below $8m guys or save the cap space to facilitate traded.
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/26/2017  3:02 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:This is a bad FA class for rebuilders. The Knicks should only look at below $8m guys or save the cap space to facilitate traded.

That's why I listed Shabazz. I don't think he gets more than $7M a season and he's 24 right now. Could be a good chip going forward.

¿ △ ?
yellowboy90

4/26/2017  3:13 PM
crzymdups wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:This is a bad FA class for rebuilders. The Knicks should only look at below $8m guys or save the cap space to facilitate traded.

That's why I listed Shabazz. I don't think he gets more than $7M a season and he's 24 right now. Could be a good chip going forward.

Bazz is a below average player who needs to become a better defender. If he can be had for around or below $8m then sure. I would also take him over Justin because of Bazz's age. Another guy I would look at is McLemore but he would have to come really cheap.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/26/2017  3:29 PM
Phil has always been in the market For under the radar players. Right now we just have to see what this Melo trade brings. We could end up with a few rotation worthy players after that trade. Might not be a need or even spot on the roster for free agents...

Ian Clark, and shabazz are names to consider. Clark got some age on him now though.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/26/2017  4:01 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a Melo trade might not happen?

And if it does, I think we're getting garbage/filler back.

Also - we don't have a lot of open roster slots - you had 2-3 draft picks, and there is basically no room unless you start letting some guys go - like Ron Baker, Kuz, etc.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
4/26/2017  4:33 PM
franco12 wrote:1)Am I the only one who thinks a Melo trade might not happen?

2)And if it does, I think we're getting garbage/filler back.

3)Also - we don't have a lot of open roster slots - you had 2-3 draft picks, and there is basically no room unless you start letting some guys go - like Ron Baker, Kuz, etc.

1) YES
2) Why? If Melo says I will go to the Lakers, Clippers or Celtics Phil calls all 3 teams and says whats your deal. He takes the best. Even Phil cant phuck that up, but we will see.

3) Why I suggest we stand pat and build from within. Holiday prob goes to play with this bro the full MLE after they max out JRue. I like him but not for $8mm

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
USA
4/26/2017  5:05 PM
franco12 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks a Melo trade might not happen?

Also - we don't have a lot of open roster slots - you had 2-3 draft picks, and there is basically no room unless you start letting some guys go - like Ron Baker, Kuz, etc.

I think Melo will be bought out if he's not traded at this rate.

I agree we aren't getting much back, but one thing we may get back is some cap room.

I'd like to use the cap room we have/get on some younger, affordable guys with room to grow.

As of right now, we have about $19-20M in cap space IF we let Rose go. We want to re-sign Holiday to a reasonable number, I wouldn't give him more than Lance Thomas - $5-6M.

We'll have some space to sign some guys. I predict we get about $10M in cap room from a Melo trade, too.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/26/2017  5:08 PM
One good thing - while I think salaries will be higher again this summer, I don't think we'll see some of the craziness of last summer. A bunch of teams already regret giving guys like Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, Noah, etc big money. Crabbe should've gotten 4yr $40M... paying him $72M is absurd.
¿ △ ?
yellowboy90

4/26/2017  5:25 PM
crzymdups wrote:One good thing - while I think salaries will be higher again this summer, I don't think we'll see some of the craziness of last summer. A bunch of teams already regret giving guys like Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, Noah, etc big money. Crabbe should've gotten 4yr $40M... paying him $72M is absurd.

You are probably right but their are some rFAs that might inflate the market some. Otto Porter might make $20m

crzymdups
USA
4/26/2017  5:27 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:One good thing - while I think salaries will be higher again this summer, I don't think we'll see some of the craziness of last summer. A bunch of teams already regret giving guys like Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, Noah, etc big money. Crabbe should've gotten 4yr $40M... paying him $72M is absurd.

You are probably right but their are some rFAs that might inflate the market some. Otto Porter might make $20m

Yeah Otto Porter might get overpaid... but does he really move the needle for most teams? I think the reality will set in that the cap is higher, but not unlimited. You can't give Otto Porter 1/5 of your cap in the NBA and expect to compete.

¿ △ ?
yellowboy90

4/26/2017  5:34 PM
crzymdups wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Yeah Otto Porter might get overpaid... but does he really move the needle for most teams? I think the reality will set in that the cap is higher, but not unlimited. You can't give Otto Porter 1/5 of your cap in the NBA and expect to compete.

Probably not but he is young and shot very well this year. Look what Harrison Barnes got last year and he was the 4th fiddle with GSW similar to how Porter is the 3rd/4th fiddle with Was.

Noel is another guy Dallas might lock up for a good chunk of money.

crzymdups
USA
4/26/2017  5:37 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Probably not but he is young and shot very well this year. Look what Harrison Barnes got last year and he was the 4th fiddle with GSW similar to how Porter is the 3rd/4th fiddle with Was.

Noel is another guy Dallas might lock up for a good chunk of money.

Noel to me is pretty worth it. I would've loved to get Noel to play alongside KP.

Man, look at what Dallas has been able to add to their roster over the past 12 months compared to us. They got Harrison Barnes, Nerlens Noel, Seth Curry - Barnes and Curry were cap room. Noel was a steal of a trade. They were all great moves for nice young players.

¿ △ ?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
4/26/2017  10:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
franco12 wrote:1)Am I the only one who thinks a Melo trade might not happen?

2)And if it does, I think we're getting garbage/filler back.

3)Also - we don't have a lot of open roster slots - you had 2-3 draft picks, and there is basically no room unless you start letting some guys go - like Ron Baker, Kuz, etc.

1) YES
2) Why? If Melo says I will go to the Lakers, Clippers or Celtics Phil calls all 3 teams and says whats your deal. He takes the best. Even Phil cant phuck that up, but we will see.

3) Why I suggest we stand pat and build from within. Holiday prob goes to play with this bro the full MLE after they max out JRue. I like him but not for $8mm

I hope you are right. But I can see Phil try to out triangulate himself.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/26/2017  10:39 PM

No. I have no idea what will happen. Someone said Melo may want to stay near his son if his marriage ends. Melo should recognize that the Knicks are not going to win anything anytime soon, and that he will be force fed Rambis. Hopefully he can get himself into a better situation.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

4/27/2017  6:42 AM
I would like the team to first draft their lottery pick, trade Melo, then see the roster after that.
Look at the needs from a roster stand point and pursue younger free agents that fit a need.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

4/27/2017  7:20 AM

I think he's content to rot on this roster and stay in NY and cash his big checks and shotjack until someone finds the balls to bench him.

I don't see any possible way he could be traded without taking in AT LEAST one bad long term contract. His trade kicker plus his huge salary plus the limitations of teams where he'd waive his NTC would mean he's not going to a gutted team and the only way to get the salaries to work, even with some open cap space, is to shed an ugly contract.

This is where the "wash principle" has to happen for Phil Jackson to make a deal. He has to be OK with moving Melo for ZERO RETURN. The function of getting asset would be as the push/pull for dumping bad contracts onto the Knicks. I.E. Julius Randle is the booby prize for lifting the ugly Mozgov and Deng contracts off their books, Melo would just be "wash" incentive to make the salaries match. The positive asset has to function from the contract dump, not from Melo's own trade value, because his trade value is pretty much shot to hell ( not because of Jackson, but because of age, his style of play, his lack of defense, his poor fit on most rosters that accommodate a hero ball gunner who freezes out his team mates and has lousy shot selection.

I think the Knicks should go for Tony Allen and Thabo Selofosha. Two guys who can defend, not the way they used to defend, but they can operate on the perimeter. Won't give you offense, but maybe are in the Tier 4 FA range where they might short a short deal and give some non intrusive veteran help without the long term bite back of eating a lengthy decline phase commitment.

Once you hit the salary floor, you have ask yourself if you are just spending money to just spend money and say you tried to something/anything. It might help the marketing and buzz, but it's an irresponsible way to run a team.

Chandler
Member: #6197

4/27/2017  7:37 AM
FA should be used selectively. I personally don't want shabazz.

We either want some guard depth or perhaps a stop gap lead guard if we draft our pg of the future

Or some ultra competitive wing defender.

(5)(5)
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/27/2017  8:24 AM
With our up cap space we should target Dallas's #9 pick. Cuban isn't a big drafter. Cuban is a guy who likes to sign/trade for established players and he is really good at it. So eating Wesley Matthews remaining 2 years freeing up 18 mil in cap space(And possibly more depending on what Dirk is willing to resign for) is more up Cuban alley then a mid-late lotto pick. Cuban can then target Teague, Holiday, Lowry and look to make playoffs next yr doing what he does best.

With the #9 I would trade down with Portland for #15, #20, #26. Take Justin Jackson with #15. Trade #20 with Orlando for #33-#35 and a future first. Take Caleb Swanigan with #26 and Josh Hart with #33. Then use #35, #44, #58 to either acquire future picks or euro stash players that gains recommends. This isn't even counting our top 7 pick.

With KP, Top7, Willy, Jackson, Swanigan, Hart, 2018 first, Baker we would be able to establish a new long term core immediately. Lee, Mathews, Lance, Noah are all high character vet hold overs to steer the young players. Jackson, Swanigan, Hart all bring intangibles that are perfect compliments for what we have and what we are looking for. Swanigan is a mobile rebounding machine who could guard the perimeter or post. Which is perfect player next to KP and Willy. He also shows potential passing and shooting 3s. But even if that doesn't translate his rebounding and defense potential is exactly what we need next to our young bigs. Hart and Jackson on the perimeter bring IQ, ball moving, shooting, defense who have potential to excell in the triangle.

We would also have flexibility with Melo, Kuz, KOQ, Lee and those 2nd rounders. Load up on more future assets or try and get some young vets to help immediately with the young developing core.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

4/27/2017  10:49 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

No. I have no idea what will happen. Someone said Melo may want to stay near his son if his marriage ends. Melo should recognize that the Knicks are not going to win anything anytime soon, and that he will be force fed Rambis. Hopefully he can get himself into a better situation.

Dont know why, but I think Melo adds teams to his list. Think he has had enough. Unless he is as stubborn as Phil and wants to fight it out. Can see him adding teams that are close to his son. Washington, Brooklyn Toronto? Unless the wife moves to LA. Then its Lakers, Clipps all the way. Again, wont be surprised if he bunkers in. Specially if KP and others are on his side.
but I Hope not. Bracing myself for 5 years of draft threads and lots of losing. As for free agents, dont see anyone wanting to come to this mess. Unless we overpay. So would prefer to avoid another Rose/Noah type signing.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

4/27/2017  12:46 PM
5 years of losing will mean KP and we didn't draft any single star in those lottery years. That will suck. I think KP can become an all-star sooner than later, he plays like an all-star 3/6 months of the season. Needs to get better. stronger and will come. Then we need to hit a homerun with one of these lottery picks. This year or next post-Melo trade. If we do well in the draft, I think by 2 years from now we will be a playoff team. However if KP fails to become an all-star and we don't draft well in 2017 and 2018, yes, it's probably another 5 years of losing.

Lets see what happens.

Reasonable Free Agency targets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy