Berman: Early Exit From Playoffs Will Force Ainge To Consider Melo Trade
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/21/2017  7:26 PM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Yeah no doubt, a package built around Crowder would probably be best-case-scenario. He is the ideal SF to put next to KP and Willy.

but he hasn't done anything for boston, and don't think he will magically turn into a go to scorer on the knicks..

Knicks trade melo, they better be getting back a 2O point scorer, when has the triangle even remotely wrkd with out a go to guy..

He's a sometimes guy

We don't need him to be a go-to scorer. He's a very good defender, good 3pt shooter, can play the 3 and 4, and is athletic and young-ish. Ideal role player. 14-15 ppg scorer, which is fine as a 3rd option. We don't need to get a 20 ppg scorer back. We can get scoring increases by committee.

We're not playing in an offense where we are going to one guy.... its an option offense meaning everyone is as option. We need everyone on board with that.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/21/2017  7:43 PM
EnySpree wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Yeah no doubt, a package built around Crowder would probably be best-case-scenario. He is the ideal SF to put next to KP and Willy.

but he hasn't done anything for boston, and don't think he will magically turn into a go to scorer on the knicks..

Knicks trade melo, they better be getting back a 2O point scorer, when has the triangle even remotely wrkd with out a go to guy..

He's a sometimes guy

We don't need him to be a go-to scorer. He's a very good defender, good 3pt shooter, can play the 3 and 4, and is athletic and young-ish. Ideal role player. 14-15 ppg scorer, which is fine as a 3rd option. We don't need to get a 20 ppg scorer back. We can get scoring increases by committee.

We're not playing in an offense where we are going to one guy.... its an option offense meaning everyone is as option. We need everyone on board with that.

I think Knicks fans are having a hard time with this concept. That's why so many are angry about the Melo and Phil thing. They think we have to have that Big Name guy taking most of the load. In time they will adjust to this way of doing things.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/21/2017  7:47 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

I think Knicks fans are having a hard time with this concept. That's why so many are angry about the Melo and Phil thing. They think we have to have that Big Name guy taking most of the load. In time they will adjust to this way of doing things.

I think Crowder would be a great guy to get back as part of the package. The Celtics have a lot of good young prospects as well as draft picks. But I disagree about Knick fans having a hard time with not having a big name guy. I think every Knick fan knows Phil isn't bringing back a big name guy. I think most fans have moved onto the idea of a rebuild and losing a lot for a couple of more years.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
4/21/2017  7:51 PM
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

4/21/2017  7:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
what else are they gonna say? They wont admit it but that doesnt mean they arent interested
CrushAlot
USA
4/21/2017  8:03 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
what else are they gonna say? They wont admit it but that doesnt mean they arent interested
It was just speculation on Berman's part based on trade deadline rumors if I remember correctly.
nixluva
USA
4/21/2017  8:12 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

I think Crowder would be a great guy to get back as part of the package. The Celtics have a lot of good young prospects as well as draft picks. But I disagree about Knick fans having a hard time with not having a big name guy. I think every Knick fan knows Phil isn't bringing back a big name guy. I think most fans have moved onto the idea of a rebuild and losing a lot for a couple of more years.

Moving on would denote acceptance and I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of fans are still holding out hope Melo doesn't waive his NTC and that somehow forcing Phil out. Also I don't think most are OK with losing in the short term. I think you may be projecting your own feelings onto the fan base.

That said I think the team will actually be fairly competitive after trading Melo. It's going to be a mental shift for this team not leaning on Melo as a crutch and having to step up and do more but I think the players are going to like it. KP INCLUDED!

wargames
Member: #6053

4/21/2017  8:40 PM

Never Forget Berman knows nothing and is a liar

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
CrushAlot
USA
4/21/2017  8:41 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

Moving on would denote acceptance and I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of fans are still holding out hope Melo doesn't waive his NTC and that somehow forcing Phil out. Also I don't think most are OK with losing in the short term. I think you may be projecting your own feelings onto the fan base.

That said I think the team will actually be fairly competitive after trading Melo. It's going to be a mental shift for this team not leaning on Melo as a crutch and having to step up and do more but I think the players are going to like it. KP INCLUDED!

I might be wrong but I don't think there are many, if any posters on this board that aren't okay with the team moving on from Melo. I do think that there is an attempt by some to say that guys who don't like the job Phil has done and see him as a really bad executive are pro keeping Melo. I think some posters realize the Knicks problems are a lot bigger than Melo and that moving Melo won't change things much if the Knicks continue to be run top to bottom the way they are now.
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

4/22/2017  1:58 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

Phil has thoroughly destroyed much of any trade value he might be able to get in return for Melo with his latest tirade. So, our best chance to get a 20 ppg go to scorer in return for Melo is to keep Melo.

We'd be lucky to get someone like Crowder in a trade, ideally with a first round pick also thrown in from Boston's side. At least he is a good defender and has a very high shooting percentage. Better than Austin Rivers in any case. But for the Knicks to be a contender with him in the starting lineup, they need star scorers at two or three other positions, which they won't have once Melo and Rose bolt.

The best time to do this trade was last February, this way Ainge would have had Melo for this year's playoffs. Whether it would have done him much good is an open question.

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
4/22/2017  9:07 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

Phil has thoroughly destroyed much of any trade value he might be able to get in return for Melo with his latest tirade. So, our best chance to get a 20 ppg go to scorer in return for Melo is to keep Melo.

We'd be lucky to get someone like Crowder in a trade, ideally with a first round pick also thrown in from Boston's side. At least he is a good defender and has a very high shooting percentage. Better than Austin Rivers in any case. But for the Knicks to be a contender with him in the starting lineup, they need star scorers at two or three other positions, which they won't have once Melo and Rose bolt.

The best time to do this trade was last February, this way Ainge would have had Melo for this year's playoffs. Whether it would have done him much good is an open question.

You can't destroy trade value of a player with a NTC. Phil destroyed it years ago when he gave him the NTC. Besides if a team needs Melo's service they will show a need and that ultimately is the driving force.

nixluva
USA
4/22/2017  9:40 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

I might be wrong but I don't think there are many, if any posters on this board that aren't okay with the team moving on from Melo. I do think that there is an attempt by some to say that guys who don't like the job Phil has done and see him as a really bad executive are pro keeping Melo. I think some posters realize the Knicks problems are a lot bigger than Melo and that moving Melo won't change things much if the Knicks continue to be run top to bottom the way they are now.

I don't know. It seems to me like the Knicks are actually stabilizing. There's clarity of direction now! Moving on from Melo is the right thing for this franchise at this time! Jeff and Phil are getting along and the younger players have shown some promise. Aside from KP throwing a little fit there is not dysfunction going forward.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
4/22/2017  9:54 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

He's a sometimes guy

We dont need another one dimensional chucker (Ahem, go to scorer on the team). We are actually trying to get rid of the incumbent. We need two way basketball players at every position. Once we have that we can assess the value of a score as needed.

Exactly. Crowder's deal is an absolute steal. I can't imagine they'd rather pay Melo almost quadruple what they're paying him but if they do want to, you have to immediately jump on the deal.

MS
Member: #724
4/22/2017  10:57 AM
Why trade for Anthony when they can offer Gordon Haywood the max? He's already better and 6 years younger than melo.

They have crowder, brown and a number one pick to go with Thomas and Horford and a great bench guy in smart and Bradley.

Not to mention a top 5 gm and a top 5 coach.

This article makes zero sense. Melo has a knee injury that persists and a pending divorce that can and will likely get ugly.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/22/2017  11:40 AM
MS wrote:Why trade for Anthony when they can offer Gordon Haywood the max? He's already better and 6 years younger than melo.

They have crowder, brown and a number one pick to go with Thomas and Horford and a great bench guy in smart and Bradley.

This article makes zero sense. Melo has a knee injury that persists and a pending divorce that can and will likely get ugly.

Why would Hayward leave. His team is as good as the Celtics and they are rising. I don't know man he would be giving up a bigger pay day for what a team in the same situation as his current team.

wargames
Member: #6053

4/22/2017  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/22/2017  1:33 PM
Vmart wrote:
MS wrote:Why trade for Anthony when they can offer Gordon Haywood the max? He's already better and 6 years younger than melo.

Why would Hayward leave. His team is as good as the Celtics and they are rising. I don't know man he would be giving up a bigger pay day for what a team in the same situation as his current team.

Also I think the difference in his skill to Carmelo Anthony is overestimated. Offensively their stats are basically the same and Hayward is at best an ok defender. I still think Anthony can be that level he just doesn't try and the lack of a defensive Center makes it easier for people to drive pass him, whereas Hayward has the best defensive center in the league in Gobert. On the flip in their one - on - one games Carmelo ususally gets the best of Hayward and just post him up for the whole game, and I think a good argument could be made that Carmelo has a more diverse set of offensive moves.

The only clear advantage to Hayward is he is younger and puts more effort on defense. I am not saying a team should go for Carmelo Anthony first but he would be an incredible consolation prize if they strike out on Hayward

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/22/2017  2:23 PM
reub wrote:Why does everyone want to trade O'Quinn? He's very good and is a New Yorker. His contract is team friendly also. Let's just re-sign him.

There aren't many teams that Melo would agree to be traded to, even with the recent change in his marital status. Not many teams are also willing to take on Melo's contract (and trade kicker)

Offering a good, young, role player like O'Quinn in addition to a vet with some miles on him like Melo, might get us a package deal that includes Crowder in return. O'Quinn fits right in with what Boston is trying to do.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

4/22/2017  3:44 PM
MS wrote:This article makes zero sense.

To my best understanding, Marc Berman has a relative working at Creative Artist Agency.

Melo is represented by Leon Rose of Creative Artist Agency.

Scottie Pippen, who jabbed at Phil Jackson over Melo, is now repped by Wasserman for his broadcasting career, but for the 2nd half of his playing career, was repped by Ben Dogra of CAA

Chris Smith and JR Smith were both repped by CAA, where Chris Smith essentially got a phantom contract to get what amounts to a contract discount from JR Smith in what might one of the most open examples of collusion and salary cap manipulation in the NBA modern era.

Woj, was for years, fed information by Joe Dumars, on players around the league, executives, coaches, etc.

What people don't account for are that "sports insiders" are information brokers. Sure, you can get an inside scoop now and then, but it's not for free. Around draft time, you gotta say this guy is hot or interesting when the team could care less. They gotta pump up some player a team wants to trade or highlight flaws of a guy they want.

Never a fan of Geno Smith when the Jets drafted him, but it's not uncommon for teams and "insiders" to release Wonderlic ( i.e. intelligence perception) scores to drive down the draft price of a player they want.

MS brings up a good point that many simply ignore here, ANY deal has to THE BEST POSSIBLE OPTION OUT OF ALL POSSIBLE DEALS FROM EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. A trade proposal that is actually feasible has to align to baseline league marketplace values, be defensible to the media, owners and fanbases ( both sides) and operate to each individual teams self interest. I hear too often "Yeah, that's a good deal" for the Knicks, without any regard that the other team is getting horse f**ked in the trade scenario.

Does a hot piece like Selena Gomez end up with a 400 pound janitor from McDonalds ( I'm not judging honest work or any job out there, I'm making an objective point, people are going to go after the BEST offer they can secure.) Just like a hot chick usually ends up with a tall rich good looking hung guy with massive biceps, no team is going to bleed out assets for a coach killing, no defense, selfish shotjacking with age and injury concerns, with a massive contract, when they could possibly get a younger, more team oriented guy, without the personal baggage that costs them no outgoing assets except cap space.

The basis of almost all trade rape scenarios starts with refusing to look at the needs/wants of the non Knicks team. MS brings up a good point, hence he will largely and sadly be ignored by many here. Like I was always taught, never let logic interfere with someone's desired narrative.

CrushAlot
USA
4/22/2017  3:53 PM
^^^^I don't think you have to connect the dots and come up with CAA as a source for the article. Berman's story is based on trade rumors from around the deadline. Brad Stevens at the time reportedly said he would like to coach Melo.
NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
4/22/2017  5:04 PM
Perhaps the biggest issue with Melo to Boston is . . . Boston may advance with what they have. For what it's worth, I can't see Melo fitting in at all in Boston, regardless of Stevens's comments. Stevens demands defense and smart play and if you don't do that, you sit. It would take Melo, what?, a year of concerted effort to become a Stevens-type player and a lot of bench time along the way. I can't see Melo being happy with any of that. I can kinda see Melo playing for Doc Rivers but I just can't see him playing for Stevens.
Berman: Early Exit From Playoffs Will Force Ainge To Consider Melo Trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy