[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

Author Poll
EnySpree
Member: #397

If all things remain the same and we had to choose.... who would you pick at #7?
Dennis Smith
Malik Monk
View Results

Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/21/2017  8:59 AM
I don't love either really.

Smith seems more like a ball dominant type of PNR guard who isn't going to be happy giving the ball up and moving away from the ball.
Monk doesn't seem to produce enough outside of getting buckets.

I would probably side with Smith over Monk though if I had to choose between the 2.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
4/21/2017  9:17 AM
Knicks will just have to win the lottery.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
4/21/2017  10:05 AM
well briggs says that 18yo malik monk is going to remain at 200lbs the rest of his life, so why would i want him?
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/21/2017  10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that Monk would be the better choice for the Knicks. He's so good without the ball in terms of moving and being effective on Catch and Shoot looks. If you're going to have a guy that can explode at any time in your rotation that's a positive over what we have. We also have to remember just how young he is.

People really do tend to forget this is a 19 year old kid. He's starting from a very high level and should get better from here. I think he would benefit from the spacing in the NBA game. I can see him excelling in Jeff's schemes. Since he's not a Ball Dominant player his game fits what the Knicks are trying to do. It wouldn't be the worst thing to end up with a kid like him IMO. That said I would still pick Smith if he was the only one left when we pick that had star potential. You've got to take BPA if you fall back.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
4/21/2017  10:52 AM
Knicks arent taking Monk
RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/21/2017  10:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  10:57 AM
I'm going to say Smith is the better player. Monk is a sg trapped in a pg body. Monk doesn't have pg skills so I feel that aspect make Monk weaker than Smith. Smith on the other hand knows his position which is pg. and he is a pretty good assist guard. And he even rebounds at a better clip than Monk. If you just want a shooter than Monk might be your guy but like I said at 6'3 he is on the small side. Honestly if I just want a shooter I would consider Luke Kennard over Monk. Crazy right.
nixluva
USA
4/21/2017  11:05 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Knicks arent taking Monk

Sure in a vacuum you can just say that but it depends on where they land in the Lottery and who is left!!! At a certain point you have to accept that a lot depends on what the Lottery balls hand us and who is off the board when we pick. I'm not saying Monk is high on the list but I do think he's on the list.

You have to imagine him with more time to work on his body and his game. He's not going to remain this skinny forever. Baker wasn't even a PG and worked hard this year to learn and showed progress. Monk has a ton of potential in him, don't get it twisted!

Why did Kentucky draft this kid?

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
4/21/2017  11:11 AM
nixluva wrote:

Sure in a vacuum you can just say that but it depends on where they land in the Lottery and who is left!!! At a certain point you have to accept that a lot depends on what the Lottery balls hand us and who is off the board when we pick. I'm not saying Monk is high on the list but I do think he's on the list.

You have to imagine him with more time to work on his body and his game. He's not going to remain this skinny forever. Baker wasn't even a PG and worked hard this year to learn and showed progress. Monk has a ton of potential in him, don't get it twisted!

Athleticism is good to have but now a days everyone one has to be able to do multiple things and Monk comes off one dimensional. He lacks the ability to make others better. His assist game is almost nonexistent and his rebounding is putrid. I'm not saying he won't be a great scorer but the signs are there that he may not make others better.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138

4/21/2017  11:19 AM

So I guess you voted for Smith? Lol

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/21/2017  11:23 AM
Not the biggest fan of either, but Smith can handle the ball.

I see Smith as another Rose and can see him getting injured because of his high flying style.

Even though I don't want either of them, given the choices we should have, both have some major talent.

Have said this earlier...Monk will go to Sixers, assuming that the Simmons "point" plan is on track.

I also think, that like Rose, Smith is more of a scorer, and he will not use up his effort on the defensive end.

Everything here, my humble opinion, of course.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/21/2017  11:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  11:30 AM
Monk has an elite NBA skill that will translate right away with his shooting. His athletic ability makes up for his size. He has high upside, and not a ton of downside for a #7 pick. Best case he's a superstar, worst case he's an instant offense 6th man. And most likely he falls somewhere in between, which is really good starting guard.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/21/2017  12:19 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Not the biggest fan of either, but Smith can handle the ball.

I see Smith as another Rose and can see him getting injured because of his high flying style.

Even though I don't want either of them, given the choices we should have, both have some major talent.

Have said this earlier...Monk will go to Sixers, assuming that the Simmons "point" plan is on track.

I also think, that like Rose, Smith is more of a scorer, and he will not use up his effort on the defensive end.

I see aspects of Rose in Smith as well. The injury potential scare. Be Smith's jumper is more advanced and he shows more defensive potential. But can Smith's iso game fit in the triangle. I pick Smith in a vacuum. But Monk might make more sense when everything is taken into consideration. I think I would punt on both and take Frank T.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
nixluva
USA
4/21/2017  12:53 PM
Vmart wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Athleticism is good to have but now a days everyone one has to be able to do multiple things and Monk comes off one dimensional. He lacks the ability to make others better. His assist game is almost nonexistent and his rebounding is putrid. I'm not saying he won't be a great scorer but the signs are there that he may not make others better.

This is what i'm getting at. The Triangle has never really been about high assist PG's. You have an offense that is predicated on short simple passes and mostly MOTION. It's the Curls, Dribble Hand Offs and Back Cuts that really lead to most of the offense. If you just watch how the Knicks play it's a very simple style for any guard.

As an example in this style you don't need a PG that has supreme passing ability. You need a PG that can handle well enough and make the simple play. No one can point to a great PG that played for Phil. It's not necessary for this style. All the passing should happen within 2-3 seconds and the passes are mostly very short and easy passes. This is why Baker has been able to adapt despite never being a PG. I think Monk is more than capable of handling the Role in this style of ball.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138

4/21/2017  1:03 PM
In respect to what we want to do offensively? Monk is a good fit.... he's essentially George Hill with Baron Davis jumping ability... like oh **** I forgot he could jump like that type of hops
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/21/2017  1:05 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Not the biggest fan of either, but Smith can handle the ball.

I see aspects of Rose in Smith as well. The injury potential scare. Be Smith's jumper is more advanced and he shows more defensive potential. But can Smith's iso game fit in the triangle. I pick Smith in a vacuum. But Monk might make more sense when everything is taken into consideration. I think I would punt on both and take Frank T.

Never know what they show in a workout.

I know there are debates on whether you put more emphasis on a players body of work...or the workouts they do for a team, where the team can put them through drills that show them if they fit in with what that team wants from a player.

Just found this series of video assessments... Have to say that when Smith is motivated he can be a good defender from what I see in this video- especially when he is on the ball... though there are moments where he reminds me of Harden when he is off the ball.

Just have to trust your talent evaluators.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/21/2017  1:19 PM
nyk4ever wrote:well briggs says that 18yo malik monk is going to remain at 200lbs the rest of his life, so why would i want him?

Yeah - I would definitely go with Brunson Jr (elite athlete) over Monk who is very pedestrian and does nothing at NBA level to be considered a top 10 pick.

I don't like Monk's ability to --- score from anywhere, score off the catch, bounce, mid-range, long-range, off glass, floaters or dunks and I hate his lightening quick release, great wrist action, high-release, elevation, toughness or his clutch shot making.

I hate all that stuff -- give me Brunson or some stiff big instead (Frank Kaminsky rings a bell - can we trade #7 for Big Frank the Tank).

Finestrg
Member: #1069

4/21/2017  1:21 PM
I want Dennis Smith BAD. NBA-ready true point guard with star potential. Very high impact potential/extremely low bust potential. Already does everything well and there's room for growth (i.e. jumper's already good but he'll get even better, etc.). I love this kid. Didn't play like a freshman--he played like a 3 or 4 yr college player. I think they're nuts to pass on him if he's there. Our very own Damian Lillard right here for years to come.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

4/21/2017  1:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  1:24 PM

This makes perfect sense since Monk doesn't fit the triangle at all given his great off ball movement, cutting/slashing and quick/release distance shooting.

DSJ on the other hand is a perfect triangle fit with his ball dominant pound the dribble style, suspect attitude and complete stand around game off the ball.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2017  1:22 PM
Monk looks like Jennings. Smith like Rose.
Too soon, too soon!
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/21/2017  1:27 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Never know what they show in a workout.

I know there are debates on whether you put more emphasis on a players body of work...or the workouts they do for a team, where the team can put them through drills that show them if they fit in with what that team wants from a player.

Just found this series of video assessments... Have to say that when Smith is motivated he can be a good defender from what I see in this video- especially when he is on the ball... though there are moments where he reminds me of Harden when he is off the ball.

Just have to trust your talent evaluators.

This is why the answer is Smith. Too many people are just focusing on the triangle and how the player would fit in offensively as a scorer but they are missing the bigger picture. Monk is undersized SG that doesn't rebound, pass, or defend but Smith can do it all. Now will it take a coach to keep him motivated sure but it is also up to the GM to get talent around him to keep him for thinking he has to force it. I think it would be best to keep the expectations low and start Smith off the bench to begin the season and then see what happens.

Dennis Smith vs Malik Monk

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy