[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Reasonable Trade to Pursue This Offseason
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/19/2017  5:29 PM
Been paying some attention to the Raptors recently and it seems that there is a solid deal that should be available between us.

Corey Joseph seems like a poor fit for what they need out of a backup PG, since so much of their offense requires a backcourt player to create shots as opposed to the system doing so. His playing time has waned as of late and has been losing some of it to Delon Wright, who is on a cost controlled contract for the next year at least. As a result, I suspect we could get Corey Joseph on the cheap since the Raptors will be strapped for cash this offseason having to re-sign Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka, Patrick Patterson, NORM POWELL and PJ Tucker.

If we expand the deal to include DeMarre Carroll's deadweight, I think we could even get the Raptors to throw in their first round pick in this draft since they already have a bevy of young players they are developing e.g. NORM POWELL, Delon Wright, Jakob Poetl, Pascal Siakam, Bruno Cubculo, and Lucas Noguiera.

The deal would be in effect Corey Joseph, DeMarre Carroll and their 2017 first round pick for Lance Thomas, a $16 million trade exception and some cash incentives.

Personally, I think Corey Joseph would be a solid stopgap as a PG in the triangle...largely for the same reasons he's a poor fit in an iso-heavy system: he is at his best moving without the ball and reading plays; is a big guard that is more physical than finese while being a solid defender. No, he is not going to change the trajectory of this team but he's locked in to a reasonable contract that would prevent us from spending our money foolishly....at least at that position. Meanwhile, Carroll could fill Lance Thomas' role off the bench and that 2017 pick can help further our rebuilding process (I'd have my eye on Terrence Furgeson in that range). Thoughts?

AUTOADVERT
ekstarks94
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6104

4/19/2017  9:26 PM
I like...but do not forget we would be dealing with Masai....if he gave Jim Dolan a dollar for 50 cents Jim would holding it up to us light to look for the watermarks....
Paris907
Member: #6099
USA
4/19/2017  10:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2017  10:22 PM
Caught S blog today that proposed a trade something like this :
Melo Lee andThomas to Lakers for
DENG/Houstons 1st rounder/Clarkson/a 2020 first rounder Randle and Brewer.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/19/2017  10:43 PM
I can't see a playoff team like the Raptors would trade 2 rotation players and their draft pick for Lance and a trade exemption.... They could sign someone with the exemption but that's a risk. Gallinari would be awesome though.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NardDogNation

4/20/2017  10:53 AM
EnySpree wrote:I can't see a playoff team like the Raptors would trade 2 rotation players and their draft pick for Lance and a trade exemption.... They could sign someone with the exemption but that's a risk. Gallinari would be awesome though.

Without the aforementioned free agents above, I think the Raptors are set to be penciled in at $80 or so million. Then when you factor in $30 million plus for Lowry, $20 million plus for Ibaka, $14 million plus for Powell, $16 million plus for Patrick Patterson, about $10 million for PJ Tucker.....you could easily see how they could have the highest payroll of all-time, along with its luxury tax. Every bit they save can help, which is why they do the deal. That $16 million they save could potentially turn into $40 million for Joseph and Carroll. Are they worth that?

WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
4/21/2017  9:33 AM
NarDdogNation, I like that trade but it all depends on who will be our starting pg.. I'm not fond of Rose who not only is injury proved but he's not your typical pure pg.. He's more of a 2 guard who can blaze his way to the rim..

The key to this trade is acquiring raptors 1st round pick this year. If we can grab their pick and where ever Melo gets dealt to, we can also obtain that pick. Hopefully, we can draft 3 players in this year's draft and have more future picks via trades..

The Future. GO KNICKS!
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

4/23/2017  3:05 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
The deal would be in effect Corey Joseph, DeMarre Carroll and their 2017 first round pick for Lance Thomas, a $16 million trade exception and some cash incentives.

Thoughts?

Lance Thomas has negative trade value IMHO. One of the issues regarding Noah and his horrid contract is it often overshadows the real pooch of a deal given to Thomas, who is a 12th-15th man energy guy getting paid like a middle of the pack rotation guy.

The guy does nothing exceptionally well, worse, the more minutes you give him, the more he plays out of control and outside his actual skill set. He's an energy guy and a grinder and you can use guys like that on the roster, but not for the years and total money given to him by Phil Jackson.

There are times when a team is outbidding itself ( Texas Rangers and ARod) , and in a case like this with Thomas, there are times when teams are just setting money on fire.

I like Thomas as a fan of the game itself. He's a hard worker and he's fought to get into the NBA and try to carve a role out. From a fan level, good for him. But as a Knicks fan, he's a gross overpay for a limited skill set the Knicks could have gotten cheaper and more efficiently elsewhere.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/23/2017  12:41 PM
Lowry might not be on the Raptors next season if he doesnt step up this playoffs. Though he is one of the reasons they make it to the playoffs yr after yr.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/23/2017  2:03 PM
Melo would be good in a Toronto uniform... they have a need for him. They always get exposed in the playoffs.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NardDogNation

4/30/2017  10:54 PM
EnySpree wrote:Melo would be good in a Toronto uniform... they have a need for him. They always get exposed in the playoffs.

They could definitely use him if they change their offense. But the question is whether he would want to go.

NardDogNation

4/30/2017  11:08 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Thoughts?

Lance Thomas has negative trade value IMHO. One of the issues regarding Noah and his horrid contract is it often overshadows the real pooch of a deal given to Thomas, who is a 12th-15th man energy guy getting paid like a middle of the pack rotation guy.

The guy does nothing exceptionally well, worse, the more minutes you give him, the more he plays out of control and outside his actual skill set. He's an energy guy and a grinder and you can use guys like that on the roster, but not for the years and total money given to him by Phil Jackson.

There are times when a team is outbidding itself ( Texas Rangers and ARod) , and in a case like this with Thomas, there are times when teams are just setting money on fire.

I like Thomas as a fan of the game itself. He's a hard worker and he's fought to get into the NBA and try to carve a role out. From a fan level, good for him. But as a Knicks fan, he's a gross overpay for a limited skill set the Knicks could have gotten cheaper and more efficiently elsewhere.

Lance Thomas has been banged up this past season, so I would not be too critical of him given the circumstances. When healthy, he has been both a solid shooter and defender, which at ~$6 million is reasonable in this league especially when taking into consideration that he'd be traded for DeMarre Carroll who is making about 3 times as much as him.

But if Thomas is unappealing to them, we could always revamp the proposal to remove Thomas from it or have him re-routed to a third team. Personally, I think that either the Pelicans or Wolves (who will probably lose Shabazz Muhammed) would have interest in him.

TOR Trade: DeMarre Carroll, Corey Joseph and the 23rd pick
TOR Receive: -$23 million in contracts and $3 million cash (via NYK)

NYK Trade: Lance Thomas, $3 million cash and $23 million trade exception
NYK Receive: DeMarre Carroll, Corey Joseph, Quincy Pondexter and the 23rd pick

NOP Trade: Quincy Pondexter
NOP Receive: Lance Thomas

NardDogNation

4/30/2017  11:25 PM
WOODMANnYk wrote:NarDdogNation, I like that trade but it all depends on who will be our starting pg.. I'm not fond of Rose who not only is injury proved but he's not your typical pure pg.. He's more of a 2 guard who can blaze his way to the rim..

The key to this trade is acquiring raptors 1st round pick this year. If we can grab their pick and where ever Melo gets dealt to, we can also obtain that pick. Hopefully, we can draft 3 players in this year's draft and have more future picks via trades..

Corey Joseph is good enough to be our starting PG if we are in fact running the triangle/motion offense. He's not going to make any all-star game but is a solid stopgap until the PG we hopefully drafts, comes into his own.

But I agree that the 1st round pick is key to the trade. We don't have very many draft picks moving forward and need to do our best to acquire/groom young players that fit Porzingis' timeline. I'm hoping that Terrance Ferguson is available that late in the draft because he is the right type of gamble for us to be making.

Reasonable Trade to Pursue This Offseason

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy