OT: Boston in a world of first round hurt? ...until next offseason?
Author Thread
fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

4/20/2017  8:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2017  8:44 PM
Its hard to imagine Thomas being upended in Boston for the foreseeable future. Just not going to happen given his sister's death and playing through it.

I could see Melo and Plumlee for Avery, Crowder, and next year's (late) first rounder which I think would be a decent return. Boston is largely a system team with little outstanding talent but great chemistry.

If they draft a PG, Avery is expendable. Jaylen Brown needs minutes so Crowder is also expendable. Maybe a switch of this year's second rounders makes it work.

Certainly a reasonable trade partner.

AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/21/2017  9:12 AM
http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/carmelo-anthony-to-celtics-scenario-could-pick-up-steam/

According to an NBA source, the Celtics coaching staff was in favor of trading for Anthony at the trade deadline, but general manager Danny Ainge had too many reservations. One of Ainge’s concerns, according to a source, was an Anthony trade would have given Boston no real cap space to work with for the 2017 free-agent class.

The rights to the Celtics’ 2017 draft picks could also be part of a July package. The Knicks have two second-round selections and the Celtics have three.

If Melo was moved to the Celtics that #37 2nd rounder has to be had among other things like rights to Nets pick next yr.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/21/2017  9:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/21/2017  9:42 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:They signed Al Horford to be their go to guy and he has never been that in his career. I feel like a Melo for Horford + and some combination of pics and/or yoots might have a real possibility of happening if they nosedive.

If i'm trading with Boston i'm not trdaing for A.Horford, i'm wanting J.Crowder, A.Bradley (this would be my top guy i'd want), J.Brown, M.Smart (not to sure with this guy), T.Rozier or draft picks but i would have A.Bradley at the top of my list with Crowder a close 2nd.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

4/21/2017  9:47 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Melo is a good option for Boston
But I can't see them give up more than Jae Crowder and change.

Maybe Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley for Melo.
They draft Jackson

Horford/Olnyk
Melo/Amir
Jackson
Smart/Brown
Thomas

Nice core and rotation to have plus 30$M in space to make team better with free agents.

They would never give up Crowder and Bradley for Melo but i would take either one of them for Melo especially A.Bradley. I would give them Melo, C.Lee and KOQ to get both Crowder and Bradley and would even add more to that package. I'm a huge A.Bradley fan.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 151
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2017  11:43 AM
Does anyone really know how NTC really work? IS there a rule that a player must give more than one destination? If not it really can diminish the value or opportnity for the player.
If Melo wants to LA, and only La, even with two teams it could be:

Lakers: Nope, we going Yoot or want an in prime contract like Paul George (john and Ringo).
Clippers: All we got is Rivers and Crawford, love the guy, but its all we got.

What then? Reconcile with Melo? Is that even possible? we want him to move and he wants hold the ball. Sit him on the bench and let him towel up his head like Marbury?
"StarMelo"??? That don't work for anyone.

Best scenario for both is he goes to a team that wants to win now, but has yoot assets that won't affect the "Now".

Boston can win now if they want, or keep building. In my mind Horford and Isiah Thomas are nice pieces but not champioship core at the money they are due. Thomas will get paid this summer.
They got that darn pick!!! They can do a lot of things and not need to trade for melo. Miami is my Dark Horse landing spot for him. But if La La is making movies............ Where does the kid go?

Anger sells, don't buy!
fwk00

4/21/2017  12:30 PM
Nalod wrote:Does anyone really know how NTC really work? IS there a rule that a player must give more than one destination? If not it really can diminish the value or opportnity for the player.

Lakers: Nope, we going Yoot or want an in prime contract like Paul George (john and Ringo).

What then? Reconcile with Melo? Is that even possible? we want him to move and he wants hold the ball. Sit him on the bench and let him towel up his head like Marbury?

Best scenario for both is he goes to a team that wants to win now, but has yoot assets that won't affect the "Now".

Boston can win now if they want, or keep building. In my mind Horford and Isiah Thomas are nice pieces but not champioship core at the money they are due. Thomas will get paid this summer.
They got that darn pick!!! They can do a lot of things and not need to trade for melo. Miami is my Dark Horse landing spot for him. But if La La is making movies............ Where does the kid go?

Well, Melo may want to spend more time with his daughter in Chicago - so that's one destination.

A Boston deal would be a blockbuster. Boston would really have some firepower and Thomas is the leader Melo needs to be productive. That's a trade in which NY arms a competitor BUT, BUT, BUT the assets are there for a swap. Boston's assets are system guys who buy in - the Knicks would look more like this year's Boston team - not so bad.

Another team, Philly, may have a case of draft fatigue. Though not a competitor this year, add Melo and the dynamic changes. The trade would absolutely require Philly's first round pick. The downside is that NY would likely take on some health-risk players - my guess, something along the lines of Bayless, Okafor,and Richaun Holmes.

Also can't help but feel Miami would be on the potential trade list.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 151
Member: #508
USA
4/21/2017  1:36 PM
fwk00 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Does anyone really know how NTC really work? IS there a rule that a player must give more than one destination? If not it really can diminish the value or opportnity for the player.

Well, Melo may want to spend more time with his daughter in Chicago - so that's one destination.

A Boston deal would be a blockbuster. Boston would really have some firepower and Thomas is the leader Melo needs to be productive. That's a trade in which NY arms a competitor BUT, BUT, BUT the assets are there for a swap. Boston's assets are system guys who buy in - the Knicks would look more like this year's Boston team - not so bad.

Another team, Philly, may have a case of draft fatigue. Though not a competitor this year, add Melo and the dynamic changes. The trade would absolutely require Philly's first round pick. The downside is that NY would likely take on some health-risk players - my guess, something along the lines of Bayless, Okafor,and Richaun Holmes.

You meant Rose has a daughter in Chicago?

Boston will and should try for Gordon Haywood before any trade for Melo.

Anger sells, don't buy!
fwk00

4/21/2017  2:33 PM
Nalod wrote:
fwk00 wrote:

You meant Rose has a daughter in Chicago?

Boston will and should try for Gordon Haywood before any trade for Melo.

Melo is expecting a daughter as well based on the latest reports.

Boston will do fine. But they have so many draft picks and players-in-waiting that they'll have to shed a few and likely not resign whoever is expiring. It will be possible to maybe pick up a decent bench asset this summer via Boston if the Melo thing doesn't work out.

OT: Boston in a world of first round hurt? ...until next offseason?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.