crzymdups wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
dwiley20 wrote:Thank you Phil for keeping in real " we can't win with Carmelo". Finally let's move on from him

Exactly- I don't get what those blasting Phil disagree with

Melo holds the ball
Melo has aged
We haven't won with Melo
We can't build a winner in melo's time frame
Melo needs to be traded
We want team ball
We want players who are skilled and play defense all game
We want unselfish players who play a team game
We need to rebuild

How is he wrong? Didn't like his comments on Rose at all, but the general thrust of what he was saying is what we've all been saying.

Phil should really sit down and have a talk with the guy who gave Melo the largest contract in the league at the time and threw in the trade kicker and NTC.

How about Melo actually stepping up and being a leader commensurate with the kind of money he's making. There's a certain responsibility a player should have when he reaches a certain level and that includes helping to bring his team to a higher level and supporting the head coach. If Melo is insubordinate then the rest of the team will feel it's ok to do the same!!!

IMO Melo was not a positive influence this season and it appears he didn't make things easier for the team to come together or support his coach. We don't need that and Phil is right to want him gone!!!

Ones could say the same for Phil. It trickles down from the top like KP said. Phil acts childish and smug so everyone else follows. Phil doesn't show up so why should 2nd be okay to go to LA on a weekend without giving anyone any notice. Phil doesn't care enough to discipline his coach so why would he discipline a player who goes awol.

I think Phil has the right to express displeasure with his players and those players need to shape up! In the Military a leader may say all kinds of things about a soldier and that doesn't give that soldier license to act out in a poor manner. Melo is not free to just do whatever he wants and disrupt the team.

Why is it OK for Melo to dog it on D and not move the ball after years of being told he needs to correct these things??? Phil didn't just say these things for no reason as some want to make it seem. Melo was a bad example to the rest of the team and he needs to go.

Melo's flaws are not OK. But there was already a 10 year history with Melo of at best, inconsistent effort on defense, mostly poor shot selection, and minimal passing. Even in the years where you praise him for getting teammates involved, we're talking maybe 1 more assist and 1 less bad shot a game. He never really learned the difference between a good shot and a bad shot on his own, and no coach or GM ever forced him to learn it either. You could say Phil gave him the contract expecting him to change. That's already a terrible gamble with a 10+ year veteran. But what was the backup plan if it didn't work? Send mixed messages on Twitter with the hope that Melo will waive his NTC? Dolan's paying Phil $60 mil to come up with that plan? But Melo is just one instance of overpaying in almost every signing and trade.

You are forgetting that Dolan was very okay with resigning Melo at that time, even as a stopgap. You are all assuming Phil *expected* Melo to change. maybe he signed him to give the fans a lollipop until he could build the team his way.

Then he made a major mistake.

Why? They sold tickets. Melo had years to make the playoffs and lure his -cough- "friends" here - yes all those friends who "like" his tweets players. It was Rose and Noah who recruited Lee. Melo recruited NOBODY.

I love that it's Melo's job to recruit players and build a competitive roster. What exactly did Phil get $60M for, again?

Yes, Melo has failed to build a competitive roster and get the team to run the Triangle effectively. The only problem is all that is Phil's job.

When you sign a high usage player to a max contract with a No Trade Clause, you are MARRIED to that player. Phil made that choice. And then tried to build a team in spite of it, instead of in concert with that decision. It is idiocy, clearly has not worked. Melo is now being blamed from everything for not defending (fair), to not building the roster (whaaa?), to not installing the Triangle properly (lol).

Though, of course, the Garden is happy because they sold tickets. This is why we will suck until Dolan goes to that great blues club in the sky.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Dysfunction permeates through the whole franchise and people looking to blame Melo or Phil (or who think it's one or the other) are missing the whole context. I still have a little hope, or at least I try to. If Dolan were to give full control to one of the metrics guys from a team like the Spurs or Warriors and were to stay out of the way, it could work. I vaguely remember reading that they were headed in the metrics direction before giving the job to Phil instead.
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/15/2017  12:37 PM
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Phil mentioned Jamie and Steve as the guys running the executive portion of the franchise while he increases his mentoring. Jamie has worked for the Knicks since Isiah came. Mills was an Isiah guy.

Right. That I heard. And we have fwerks00 telling us Phil won't get in the way of the coaching staff anymore...

At least he said he'll stop tweeting.

If anything the way the younger players ended the season actually executing the plan Jeff, Phil and Rambis came together on should be encouraging to everyone. They're going to be able to work together going forward MINUS the resistant BS.

The kids will do better without the negative influences and it can be about BASKETBALL.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/15/2017  12:43 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Phil mentioned Jamie and Steve as the guys running the executive portion of the franchise while he increases his mentoring. Jamie has worked for the Knicks since Isiah came. Mills was an Isiah guy.

Right. That I heard. And we have fwerks00 telling us Phil won't get in the way of the coaching staff anymore...

If anything the way the younger players ended the season actually executing the plan Jeff, Phil and Rambis came together on should be encouraging to everyone. They're going to be able to work together going forward MINUS the resistant BS.

The kids will do better without the negative influences and it can be about BASKETBALL.

Did you miss the part where KP blew off his exit interview? Your idea of a harmonious young team is complete fantasy.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
4/15/2017  1:01 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Did you miss the part where KP blew off his exit interview? Your idea of a harmonious young team is complete fantasy.

That is a young player showing bad judgment and supporting his friend even tho his friend is dead wrong!!! I bet KP eventually apologizes for doing that! I hope Dirk talks to KP and teaches him how to truly be a leader!!! WTF did Melo teach KP?

s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
4/15/2017  1:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2017  1:30 PM
The biggest mistake Phil has made here was trying to appease Melo this season by getting him veteran help to win immediately. All of the bad moves we've made came through this (e.g. Signing Noah to 4 years, using Lopez asset on Rose, etc.).

Funny how no one is bringing up that before the season, Melo came out and said "it's on us now, the front office did their job."

Well, the players certainly did NOT do their job this season. Phil has faults for sure and I certainly don't agree with everything he has done but for Melo to make it about the franchise not wanting to win is completely ridiculous.

Time to part ways and bring in talented 2-way players that play TEAM ball.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/18/carmelo-anthony-is-gushing-over-these-knicks-thank-you-phil/

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
nixluva
USA
4/15/2017  1:44 PM
s3231 wrote:The biggest mistake Phil has made here was trying to appease Melo this season by getting him veteran help to win immediately. All of the bad moves we've made came through this (e.g. Signing Noah to 4 years, using Lopez asset on Rose, etc.).

Funny how no one is bringing up that before the season, Melo came out and said "it's on us now, the front office did their job."

Well, the players certainly did NOT do their job this season. Phil has faults for sure and I certainly don't agree with everything he has done but for Melo to make it about the franchise not wanting to win is completely ridiculous.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/18/carmelo-anthony-is-gushing-over-these-knicks-thank-you-phil/

GREAT POST!!! 👏🏾

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/15/2017  1:46 PM
s3231 wrote:The biggest mistake Phil has made here was trying to appease Melo this season by getting him veteran help to win immediately. All of the bad moves we've made came through this (e.g. Signing Noah to 4 years, using Lopez asset on Rose, etc.).

I somewhat agree. ...but that doesn't mean it wasn't Phil's decision to trade for Rose and sign Noah. He still made the decision.

Also, I would argue his failure with both Fisher and Hornacek as coaches is his real biggest failure. He fired Fisher because Fisher wouldn't let Phil interupt his practices. He has undercut all authority Hornacek has because Hornacek does let him interupt practices. It's a mess and the single biggest problem on this team and it will be here whether Melo is a Knick or not.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
4/15/2017  2:14 PM
crzymdups wrote:

I somewhat agree. ...but that doesn't mean it wasn't Phil's decision to trade for Rose and sign Noah. He still made the decision.

Also, I would argue his failure with both Fisher and Hornacek as coaches is his real biggest failure. He fired Fisher because Fisher wouldn't let Phil interupt his practices. He has undercut all authority Hornacek has because Hornacek does let him interupt practices. It's a mess and the single biggest problem on this team and it will be here whether Melo is a Knick or not.

The only problem with your theory is the young players actually got BETTER!!! Minus the negative Vet players like Melo and Rose the kids actually made some progress in doing the things that Jeff wanted them to do. With more time they should continue to develop.

s3231
Member: #544
USA
4/15/2017  2:20 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Agreed that Phil still made the calls on Noah and Rose. For that, he obviously needs to take responsibility and believe he has. My point is that those decisions were made under the lens of trying to give Melo support to win now.

Agree that he has made mistakes with coaches as well but I think his bigger mistake personally was the "win now mentality to appease Melo." I think we should have focused more on acquiring young studs and accumulating assets to build around Kristaps.

I wish we had explored trading Melo earlier and not waiting this long. In that sense, I wish Phil was more focused in past 2 seasons on how he wanted to build and executing that vision instead of trying to appease Melo.

Fortunately, the moves he made were pretty low risk (with exception of Noah) so we at least still have our picks.

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/15/2017  3:07 PM
s3231 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Agreed that Phil still made the calls on Noah and Rose. For that, he obviously needs to take responsibility and believe he has. My point is that those decisions were made under the lens of trying to give Melo support to win now.

Agree that he has made mistakes with coaches as well but I think his bigger mistake personally was the "win now mentality to appease Melo." I think we should have focused more on acquiring young studs and accumulating assets to build around Kristaps.

I wish we had explored trading Melo earlier and not waiting this long. In that sense, I wish Phil was more focused in past 2 seasons on how he wanted to build and executing that vision instead of trying to appease Melo.

Fortunately, the moves he made were pretty low risk (with exception of Noah) so we at least still have our picks.

So his idea of support is getting flawed unreliable non defensive players? That's awesome. What a visionary. I guess Melo should have thrown Phil under the bus to start the season and when did Phil take responsibility?

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/15/2017  3:35 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
s3231 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

So his idea of support is getting flawed unreliable non defensive players? That's awesome. What a visionary. I guess Melo should have thrown Phil under the bus to start the season and when did Phil take responsibility?

Noah and Lee both made careers based off their defense. KP provided strong rim protection his rookie year. While his judgement on Noah was waay off giving him the type of contract he gave. Noah, KP, Lee were def thought to bring defense. Holiday, Lance, KOQ are also defensive players first who were expected to round out the rotation with Jennings.

Melo, Rose, KP should have carried the team to the playoffs they had the talent amoungst them to do it. They and fans can blame this and that but its a players league and players make it happen. The *dysfunction* comes from them not getting it done and JH trying to figure out ways to get them to get it done. If they took over and won games imposing their will then that would have been what JH molded the team into. But they didnt. They played THEIR games in losing efforts.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
4/15/2017  4:56 PM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:A very satisfying presser.

As many of us speculated, Phil is attempting what might most reasonably be called a "competitive rebuild". Competitive in the sense that he is actively building with youth (he mentioned our three draft picks) and competitive in signing and trading for talent (he mentioned that no one was untouchable).

As is often repeated, "The [this team] could lose as many games without [its star] as with him". I think Phil provided the best explanation of why Melo needs to move on and that is to avoid a legacy of perpetual failure that he will own if he stays. And Phil expects the same teams who would refuse moving a core player at mid-season to be more amenable to it after a playoff failure. And if the league stiffs the Knicks into keeping Melo, Phil gave fair warning that its no longer about Melo.

He also outlined the kind of players he wants to draft - not necessarily the high profile one or two dimensional players but two way, team players. It will be fun to see who the Knicks draft.

Why Isola plays Captain Obvious in his remark about Melo not being the only resistor is dumbfounding. Does he really believe Phil doesn't know that? Moronic tweet.

I get the impression that Phil does respect Rose. But I also think Rose has an uphill battle to get resigned here and that if he does, it will be on Phil's terms and not Rose's. Chances are that Rose coming off the bench as a two guard might be very effective assuming Rose recovers. OTOH, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yesterday I found Melo's claim that all he wanted was "to win" as bizarre. Why does he think the teammates he has don't want to win? Or the coaches? Or Phil? Or Dolan?
Melo seems to think he's the only one who wants to win and will hold his breath until the Knicks start winning. "I just want to win." No sh@t.

+1000

Really guys?

Even if you agree with this, which I have serious questions about, but throwing Melo under the bus like he did is poor management. As were his odd comments about the coaching situation, some other players and how this has now led to KP missing his exit interview, which I suspect would not have happened if Phil didn't say what he said in public about "resistance" etc.

Why is he trying to implement the triangle/a system that probably will be gone within a few seasons MAX after he leaves, and more likely as soon as he does? So, Dolan is only going to hire Presidents and coaches that follow Phil's system? Really? The entire NBA is about 3 point shooting now, and yes team ball is needed as well, but it's like he doesn't care about evidence that goes against his beliefs.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
yellowboy90

4/15/2017  5:37 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
s3231 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Noah and Lee both made careers based off their defense. KP provided strong rim protection his rookie year. While his judgement on Noah was waay off giving him the type of contract he gave. Noah, KP, Lee were def thought to bring defense. Holiday, Lance, KOQ are also defensive players first who were expected to round out the rotation with Jennings.

Melo, Rose, KP should have carried the team to the playoffs they had the talent amoungst them to do it. They and fans can blame this and that but its a players league and players make it happen. The *dysfunction* comes from them not getting it done and JH trying to figure out ways to get them to get it done. If they took over and won games imposing their will then that would have been what JH molded the team into. But they didnt. They played THEIR games in losing efforts.

So you are okay going on reputation instead of their recent performances? That is silly. There is a reason why the Bulls were willing to let go of their heart and soul because they knew he was breaking down. Also, there is a reason why Lee has never found a home and now you expect that same player who has never been consistent suddenly perform consistently as he gets older and older? To think Rose could help carry a team is lunacy at this stage of his career. It's also lunacy to think an aging Melo is capable of playing the 3 when before you got here he had his most success as a 4.

If you know you have a flawed player and you know he is best at a different position why surround him by other flawed players and play him at the wrong position. It's bad roster construction

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2017  5:52 PM
PresIke wrote:
martin wrote:

As many of us speculated, Phil is attempting what might most reasonably be called a "competitive rebuild". Competitive in the sense that he is actively building with youth (he mentioned our three draft picks) and competitive in signing and trading for talent (he mentioned that no one was untouchable).

As is often repeated, "The [this team] could lose as many games without [its star] as with him". I think Phil provided the best explanation of why Melo needs to move on and that is to avoid a legacy of perpetual failure that he will own if he stays. And Phil expects the same teams who would refuse moving a core player at mid-season to be more amenable to it after a playoff failure. And if the league stiffs the Knicks into keeping Melo, Phil gave fair warning that its no longer about Melo.

He also outlined the kind of players he wants to draft - not necessarily the high profile one or two dimensional players but two way, team players. It will be fun to see who the Knicks draft.

Why Isola plays Captain Obvious in his remark about Melo not being the only resistor is dumbfounding. Does he really believe Phil doesn't know that? Moronic tweet.

I get the impression that Phil does respect Rose. But I also think Rose has an uphill battle to get resigned here and that if he does, it will be on Phil's terms and not Rose's. Chances are that Rose coming off the bench as a two guard might be very effective assuming Rose recovers. OTOH, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yesterday I found Melo's claim that all he wanted was "to win" as bizarre. Why does he think the teammates he has don't want to win? Or the coaches? Or Phil? Or Dolan?
Melo seems to think he's the only one who wants to win and will hold his breath until the Knicks start winning. "I just want to win." No sh@t.

+1000

Really guys?

Even if you agree with this, which I have serious questions about, but throwing Melo under the bus like he did is poor management. As were his odd comments about the coaching situation, some other players and how this has now led to KP missing his exit interview, which I suspect would not have happened if Phil didn't say what he said in public about "resistance" etc.

Why is he trying to implement the triangle/a system that probably will be gone within a few seasons MAX after he leaves, and more likely as soon as he does? So, Dolan is only going to hire Presidents and coaches that follow Phil's system? Really? The entire NBA is about 3 point shooting now, and yes team ball is needed as well, but it's like he doesn't care about evidence that goes against his beliefs.

I didn't view Phil as throwing Melo under the bus. When asked a direct question on this, he answered. We all know this. Fans know this - they booed him repeatedly when he held ball. Writers know this, they write about it repeatedly. Scouts and players and coaches know this.

Also, it's my understanding that goal while moving towards championship is to also install a system that will last ala Pop/SA or BillB/Patriots. This speaks to me as lofty things to do for an organization, and one that should last multiple coaches/players (although ideally not a ton of them if the right pieces are initially put into place).

I don't understand this notion of system/triangle is automatically bad or not good for 3 point shooting. I've pointed this out before: San Antonio, via their system and under Pops direction, over the past 3 seasons, have taken LESS 3's over the course of 3 seasons. So, does Pop not believe in analytics? Does he believe there is more than 1 way to win? Does he not give a **** about what others are saying?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
4/15/2017  6:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2017  6:13 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
s3231 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

So you are okay going on reputation instead of their recent performances? That is silly. There is a reason why the Bulls were willing to let go of their heart and soul because they knew he was breaking down. Also, there is a reason why Lee has never found a home and now you expect that same player who has never been consistent suddenly perform consistently as he gets older and older? To think Rose could help carry a team is lunacy at this stage of his career. It's also lunacy to think an aging Melo is capable of playing the 3 when before you got here he had his most success as a 4.

If you know you have a flawed player and you know he is best at a different position why surround him by other flawed players and play him at the wrong position. It's bad roster construction

Health had more influence to y Bulls let him go over ability. A combination of Rose Melo KP should have carried the Knicks not just Rose. Rose has been one of the leagues best at driving to the hoop this season. Melo, KP, Lee are strong catch and shoot players who provide spacing that the Bulls didn't offer Rose with Gasol Noah Gibson. Lance was defensive 3/4 backup alternative. He has been banged up most of the year though. Lee is a low usage defensive 3-D guy as is Holiday who are compliments in theory to the high usage high volume Rose & Melo. Noah as a pnr or triangle playmaker made sense but Noah seems far removed from that player and,is washed up which is poor foresight by Phill.

If Rose, Melo, KP used their usage in order to create for each other and teammates. I can guarantee the defense would have been better. As it is proven, players play harder on D when they feel involved on offense. With Rose ability to drive and the spacing available for him. Penitration and kickouts and ball swinging should have been more prevailant. Melo would have brought his dad Melo game on top of that. We would be a playoff team with the same exact roster.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
yellowboy90

4/15/2017  6:29 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
s3231 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Health had more influence to y Bulls let him go over ability. A combination of Rose Melo KP should have carried the Knicks not just Rose. Rose has been one of the leagues best at driving to the hoop this season. Melo, KP, Lee are strong catch and shoot players who provide spacing that the Bulls didn't offer Rose with Gasol Noah Gibson. Lance was defensive 3/4 backup alternative. He has been banged up most of the year though. Lee is a low usage defensive 3-D guy as is Holiday who are compliments in theory to the high usage high volume Rose & Melo. Noah as a pnr or triangle playmaker made since but Noah seems far removed from that player and,is washed up which is poor foresight by Phill.

If Rose, Melo, KP used their usage in order to create for each other and teammates. I can guarantee the defense would have been better. As it is proven, players play harder on D when they feel involved on offense. With Rose ability to drive and the spacing available for him. Or,iteration and kickouts and ball swinging should have been more prevailant. Melo would have brought his dad Melo game on top of that. We would be a playoff team with the same exact roster.

Phil should have seen that Rose assists were going down and down. Grabing a player based off of one ability is terrible and we see the result. You can't bring in a lead guard that doesn't pass and play D when you have Melo especially when he is an inefficient player. Lee is and always will be a space filler. He is a decent player but he is a back up the is average at best. Shoots great, can dribble a little, and gives decent effort but it doesn't result in anything. He doesn't take advantage of his great shooting because he doesn't shoot the ball enough so he becomes a waste. He barely played the 4th quarters when the knicks started the season because he wasn't an impact player. Lance is an empty effort guy also. His 3pt shooting seems legit but everything else is bad. He tries hard on D but he doesn't finish the possession with rebounds, stls, or blocks. Phil actually included him with Melo and KP as a cornerstone player to bring other pieces in to build around. Who thinks of Lance Thomas as a piece you build around? That's crazy. What kind of President is that?

The reason why I bring this is up because I am concerned about the players he will put around KP and Willy going forward. Phil might actually think Ronny Baker is a cornertone player and decide he doesn't need a starting PG you never know.

I am not absolving Melo but I am not going to let Phil off the hook for the mess he made and put around KP and Melo.

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
4/15/2017  6:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/15/2017  6:30 PM
martin wrote:
PresIke wrote:
martin wrote:

+1000

Really guys?

I didn't view Phil as throwing Melo under the bus. When asked a direct question on this, he answered. We all know this. Fans know this - they booed him repeatedly when he held ball. Writers know this, they write about it repeatedly. Scouts and players and coaches know this.

Also, it's my understanding that goal while moving towards championship is to also install a system that will last ala Pop/SA or BillB/Patriots. This speaks to me as lofty things to do for an organization, and one that should last multiple coaches/players (although ideally not a ton of them if the right pieces are initially put into place).

I don't understand this notion of system/triangle is automatically bad or not good for 3 point shooting. I've pointed this out before: San Antonio, via their system and under Pops direction, over the past 3 seasons, have taken LESS 3's over the course of 3 seasons. So, does Pop not believe in analytics? Does he believe there is more than 1 way to win? Does he not give a **** about what others are saying?

You don't think suggesting the entire season went badly because Melo was "resistant" and "it comes from the top" isn't throwing him under the bus? Phil could have said some of what he wanted without going there. It seemed like deflecting responsibility rather than taking it.

I love the idea of a long term system, but the two you refer to involve the same manager/prez. In soccer the team I follow, Manchester City, try to do this beyond managers, but they also have a "Director" who implements it. Phil would have to remain as the exec or find someone to replace him who will buy into this. Is it Rambis? That does not instill confidence.

As for 3's, his comments on KP not taking a 3 kind of reeks of this anti-3 point shooting mentality he seems so invested in proving is right. I'm not against being smart about 3 point shooting, but Phil seems to have some kind of chip on his shoulder about his way being proven right.

I have been a critic of Melo as well and hope that his departure is the cure as it seems Phil is intent on demonstrating to us, I just don't think the way he did it here was wise and has both attracted unnecessary attention, undermined the value of the player he wants to move, as a result has appeared to piss off the most popular player and future of the team in KP, amongst some other odd comments about coaching and basketball and angered a good portion of our fan base -- more disillusioned than ever -- even further.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
yellowboy90

4/15/2017  6:36 PM
Can someone show me any evidence to the young players playing better to close the season?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/15/2017  7:01 PM
PresIke wrote:You don't think suggesting the entire season went badly because Melo was "resistant" and "it comes from the top" isn't throwing him under the bus? Phil could have said some of what he wanted without going there. It seemed like deflecting responsibility rather than taking it.

Are you looking for sugar-coating from Phil or direct answers? First thing out of his mouth was that the buck stops with him. Myabe you were more interested in Phil just coming out to the podium and saying that everything was his fault and then nothing else? Cause that's where your words and questions are headed. What else is there?

When talking about moving the ball, moving players and holding the ball, that's usage. And the 3 biggest culprits of that were KP, Rose and Melo. And IMHO Rose and Melo are the defacto leaders of the team because of their stature as players, and Rose and Melo consumed too much oxygen in lieu of team ball. And yeah I do give KP a bit of a pass until about next year.

PresIke wrote:I love the idea of a long term system, but the two you refer to involve the same manager/prez. In soccer the team I follow, Manchester City, try to do this beyond managers, but they also have a "Director" who implements it. Phil would have to remain as the exec or find someone to replace him who will buy into this. Is it Rambis? That does not instill confidence.

As for 3's, his comments on KP not taking a 3 kind of reeks of this anti-3 point shooting mentality he seems so invested in proving is right. I'm not against being smart about 3 point shooting, but Phil seems to have some kind of chip on his shoulder about his way being proven right.

When Phil was winning championships, his teams shot the **** out of the 3pt line. Their % of shots from 3 were very high and that points directly to Phil understanding and using it to his advantage. Let us not forget Big Shot Bob. Kerr, Fisher. Yeah he made a dumbass tweet about GS couple of years ago, who cares. What else do you put forth that leads you to believe that Phil/system/Triangle does not like the 3pt shot? I just posted about Pop and San Antonino having diminishing 3point shots over the last 3 years. Do you care to remark on how you think Pop's system is ass backwards or is that just reserved for Phil and 1 Tweet and an out of context statement about KP (which was really about shot selection and probably not taking a bad 3pt shot and moving the ball for a better one)?

PresIke wrote:I have been a critic of Melo as well and hope that his departure is the cure as it seems Phil is intent on demonstrating to us, I just don't think the way he did it here was wise and has both attracted unnecessary attention, undermined the value of the player he wants to move, as a result has appeared to piss off the most popular player and future of the team in KP, amongst some other odd comments about coaching and basketball and angered a good portion of our fan base -- more disillusioned than ever -- even further.

Phil has catered to Melo. Gave him a near max extension WITH NTC. Gave him vets instead of rebuilding as he should have. Is it too much to ask that he plays D? Moves the ball ala DadMelo for more than half a season?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nixluva
USA
4/15/2017  7:39 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Can someone show me any evidence to the young players playing better to close the season?

Did you watch the games or not??? If you did watch then you don't need any more evidence that the younger players were showing some growth. Like Phil said they didn't have enough talent to get wins but they were doing the right things. Also KP missed games down the stretch.

Next season the team could have a fresh new start without the resistant presence of Melo hovering like a dark cloud. I'm praying that a deal can be made to get Melo out cuz I don't think he's worth the hassle and he's not a positive influence.

Phil's press conference

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy