Author Thread
timmyTtop
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #680
8/17/2004  12:20 PM
Room For Erick?
'Cats Could Help Mavs Get Dampier

By David Lord -- DallasBasketball.com
A sign-and-trade for Erick Dampier could happen any day now, and there is circumstantial evidence that the Mavs could be in the mix.
On Monday, Charlotte dealt center Pedrag Drobnjak to Atlanta for a draft pick, opening up cap room for the Bobcats and reducing cap room for Atlanta. Charlotte now has about $7.5M remaining cap room, out of the $29.25M they are allotted, and that amount could make them a major factor as the 3rd team in a 3-way sign-and-trade involving Dampier.
By acquiring Drobnjak, Atlanta seemed to signal that they are out of the running for Dampier, since their cap room for 2004-05 is now around $6.75M. That would be less than the $7.5M or more apparently needed for the reported $40-50M offer that they had been offering the Golden State center.
Rumors that Dallas was at the center of 3-way trade talks for center Erick Dampier from Golden State, with Charlotte the other team involved, first surfaced late last week in an interview on Mike Fisher's radio show.
These rumors fit what we have been saying all along: Golden State is only interested in sign-and-trades that essentially leave their cap room and payroll intact, while sending them something of value like cash or a draft pick or a young unproven player with a cheap short contract (like Stefansson).
Dampier is expected to command a contract starting in the $7-8M a year range. For a team like the Mavs who are over the cap, to accomplish such a feat under the NBA's trade rules, they would have to send away salary that matches Dampier's within 15%, in order to acquire him via trade. Since GS does not want any salary, the solution is to find a way to send away some salary elsewhere in a 3-way transaction, by using a 3rd team with enough cap room and a willingness to take the players Dallas is required to send away.
We first wondered if Golden State might be interested in moving Evan Eschmeyer as part of such a sign-and-trade deal, and then accept even more salary back. Eschmeyer is injured, and is mediocre when healthy. But taking Eschmeyer, who still has 3 more years on his contract, seems to be too high a price for anyone.
By trading Drobnjak, Charlotte is now far enough under the cap that they could completely absorb enough contracts from Dallas to make the deal happen. In addition, Charlotte has a whole roster full of cheap unproven players and may be willing to send one or more to GS in such a transaction, as part of the compensation to GS for making the deal.
There is an interesting “however’’ here: While the move for Drobnjak appears to close the door on Atlanta's pursuit of Dampier, it does leave them enough room to compete with Charlotte to provide 3rd-team cap room in a Dampier sign-and-trade, if they so desired. (While Dampier has expressed apprehension at joining a rebuilding team like Atlanta, prospective teammate Antoine Walker is promising to try to recruit him to the Hawks. And Dampier, a native of Mississippi, already has a home in Atlanta).
Also note that since both of those teams have the needed cap room in its entirety to be that 3rd team, other teams such as Memphis, New York, and Indianapolis now can attempt to utilize the same method with one of those two teams and get Dampier.
Dallas could offer players such as Christian Laettner, who is in the final year of his contract and who was a star at Duke, and Jerry Stackhouse, who starred at North Carolina and has been an all-star in the past. Both might be desirable for a Charlotte team that could use a proven NBA talent and regional star to draw fans, or for a Hawks team needing a short-term infusion of talent. Charlotte may have passed up both of those players in the expansion draft before knowing what cap room they may have left, and Dallas may offer other compensation to make those players even more desirable.
Other players who might also fit for Charlotte could be Shawn Bradley or Calvin Booth, centers who likely would become expendable with Dallas' acquisition of Dampier.
The Mavs continue to refuse to offer any comment on questions related to Dampier. We note that because while up until recently Dallas said unfavorable things about Dampier, team officials now saying nothing marks a change that may be significant.
It should be noted that August 23rd in on the horizon, and after that date Laettner and/or Stackhouse can be traded in a multi-player deal. It has long been speculated that one or both of those players might be destined for a trade at such a date, since neither player has yet to come to Dallas or to be introduced here in a press conference since their acquisition on June 24 during the NBA draft. NBA rules require the Mavs to keep each player for 60 days before trading them elsewhere if they are traded away with other players. Back

Quick Releases
Team USA: Stern's Created A Monster
The Full Story...

Plan R
Are The Mavs Re. ... Re. ... Rebuilding?
The Full Story...

Kidd Insurance
Mavs Get Terry While Eyeing J-Kidd
The Full Story...

Who's Who
Coach Parker Talks Up 3 Rookies
The Full Story...

Devin Can't Wait
Rookie Improves As Summer Goes On
The Full Story...

AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/17/2004  12:45 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. It sounds mostly just speculation.
I'm still convinced the running is only NY, Memphis, and maybe Atlanta(this one is a question mark)
timmyTtop
8/17/2004  12:48 PM
im hoping its just speculation, I wanna hear some dampier talk coming from the knicks
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/17/2004  1:47 PM
I'm not sure if Cuban would want Dampier. He's not a 6'8" SF who's redundant with several other players on his team
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  2:00 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'm not sure if Cuban would want Dampier. He's not a 6'8" SF who's redundant with several other players on his team

we can offer up plenty of those...why won't he trade with us then?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
8/17/2004  2:08 PM
Looks like Briggs was right.
It Is Solved By Walking
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/17/2004  2:46 PM
Posted by nyshakespeare:

When did Briggs say the Mavs might get Dampier? The only prediction I remember him making was that it would be impossible for the Knicks to get Crawford.
nyshakespeare
Alba Posts: 13
Member: #420
USA
8/17/2004  2:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by nyshakespeare:

When did Briggs say the Mavs might get Dampier? The only prediction I remember him making was that it would be impossible for the Knicks to get Crawford.

He said it here:
http://ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=5596
It Is Solved By Walking
timmyTtop
8/17/2004  3:03 PM
its just speculation, atlanta or knicks r frontrunners. that means chances of knicks of obtaining damp r higher than mavs.
franco12
Member: #599
USA
8/17/2004  3:11 PM
I am sorry- I fail to see what Charlotte gets out of this deal? The goodwill of Dampier, his agent and Mark Cuban?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/17/2004  3:19 PM
Charlotte gets usable pieces with regional interest for one year.

Makes Perfect sense. GS does not want anything.

Or can we offer Charlotte better pieces for one year? OR would they want KT in return for Damp?

Guys, I know y'all want Damp, but don't let Emotion get in the way.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/17/2004  3:55 PM
Just a thought off the top of my head...what if the trade is between GS-NY-Dallas?

NY gets Dampier
GS gets Nazr and someone like Henderson or Laettner (expiring deals, although I am not sure if they can be traded yet)
Dallas gets KT and maybe Eschmeyer?

Or maybe something like this-
NY gets Dampier
Dallas gets KT, Nazr, and Eschmeyer
GS gets Laetner and Henderson

Impossible to check numbers because Dampier isn't on GS roster on reagm and doesn' have a contract yet...Although roughing it, both deals should work with Dampier getting his 30 mil deal...

[Edited by - joec32033 on 08/17/2004 15:59:20]
~You can't run from who you are.~
franco12
Member: #599
USA
8/17/2004  4:59 PM
Charlotte doesn't need to appeal to the college basketball crowd there- they had an NBA team there that drew quite well- when the owner got greedy is when the city turned.

I'd three way with Knicks, Charlotte and GS

I have no idea what all the pieces would be, but I could see Charlotte being interested in Nazr

-too bad Frank Williams is gone- he might have been attractive to Charlotte.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/17/2004  7:01 PM
Makes a tremendous amount of sense. Dampier wants to go to a real contender--the Mavericks are WAY better than the Knicks. The Mavericks will be able to pay the same amount as the Knicks in a S+T and would be willing to take back eshymeyer. They have more attractive assets especially if its a 3 way deal with charlotte or another team-namely ending contracts and 2 number 1 +3number 2 picks they can trade--we have none other than a 2006 2nd rounder. In the west Dampier becomes close to the best C. In the east hes behind Z Shaq and possibly Magliore. The Knicks are a decent team but look at the Mavs roster much more talent younger and more athletic

RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/17/2004  7:12 PM
Mullin has said he won't trade Damps in the West. I don't know if he's changed his mind, but that seems to imply the Mavs are out.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
8/17/2004  7:23 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Makes a tremendous amount of sense. Dampier wants to go to a real contender--the Mavericks are WAY better than the Knicks. The Mavericks will be able to pay the same amount as the Knicks in a S+T and would be willing to take back eshymeyer. They have more attractive assets especially if its a 3 way deal with charlotte or another team-namely ending contracts and 2 number 1 +3number 2 picks they can trade--we have none other than a 2006 2nd rounder. In the west Dampier becomes close to the best C. In the east hes behind Z Shaq and possibly Magliore. The Knicks are a decent team but look at the Mavs roster much more talent younger and more athletic

Also, I don't argue that the Mavs are better than the Knicks - they are absolutely better. But Magloire plays in the West, as does Duncan (who is a center, I don't care what anyone says, including him), another guy who plays in the West? Yao Ming, who will be as good as Duncan very soon. Don't be misled by how his Chinese teammates froze him out of the offense yesterday.

Also, Damps would be the third best center in the East behind only Shaq and Big Ben. But he wouldn't have to carry the Knicks, he's just a cog in the machine here.

The only way I could see the trade working for the Mavs is if they give up Harris. Charlotte needs a point.

But that article is TOTAL speculation, the writer even admits Indy, Memphis and the Knicks could make the same offer. If Mullin doesn't want Damps in the West as he's said, that makes the Knicks and Indy the front runners. And unless Indy coughs up Bender, I'd say the Knicks have better chips.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  7:24 PM
i thought Dampier has maintained all along that he wanted to play in the East this season?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
USA
8/17/2004  9:13 PM
Nope. Damps to Dallas. Briggs was right.

I know I'm biased, but I honestly think that GSW got screwed again. What is Mullin thinking? I guess he's going the Denver route.

So I guess the question now will be, did Isiah move too soon to get Jamal when Dikembe and Othella and Frank and Cindy could've netted Damps? I think Jamal has higher upside and represents a much bigger need if Houston isn't healthy, but I'm sure the debate over the next weeks/months will be should Isiah have saved the expiries for Damps? Tough call. It depends on your take on Houston.

Also, there was the Bucher report on ESPN that said that Damps would've actually taken the NYK MLE, but Isiah told him it was unavailable. I'm sure THAT will be a controversy too. sigh. At least it's over.
¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/17/2004  9:25 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Nope. Damps to Dallas. Briggs was right.

Briggs WAS right... I just closing this down to funnel the posts to one thread. Briggs's thread.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Topic LOCKED
mavs after dampier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy