[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

looking back, a good move by IT...
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/17/2004  5:26 AM
...was to extend kurt thomas before he could test free agency.

We didn't have to overpay for him or give him A 5 or 6 yrs contact to keep him. Seeing how the market has gone wild, no way to know how much he could have got .

AUTOADVERT
Nixhead
Member: #711
8/17/2004  7:46 AM
Posted by raven:

...was to extend kurt thomas before he could test free agency.

We didn't have to overpay for him or give him A 5 or 6 yrs contact to keep him. Seeing how the market has gone wild, no way to know how much he could have got .
The right think to do was to resign him - but I think he is trade bait. As soon as the right deal comes along Kurty will be gone.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/17/2004  8:58 AM
lets see how it pans out. His contract is very reasonable. I would like to see us get a real center, move Sweetney to PF and have him come off the bench were he is best suited. He could be the first off the bench at PF or C and still get 20-30 minutes a night. Then you dont have to worry about his foul trouble and he can come in and just be intense.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/17/2004  9:03 AM
The fact that the Knicks signed Kurt to an extension that has him signed from the age of 32 to 36--despite having Sweetney and several other PFs--was a good sign the Knicks have no interest in letting their expiring contracts expire and would always rather get something (either a trade or keeping the player) in return for them
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  9:08 AM
Posted by Nixhead:

The right think to do was to resign him - but I think he is trade bait. As soon as the right deal comes along Kurty will be gone.

only problem is, no one seems to want him...at least, not for anything worth trading for.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
8/17/2004  9:17 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Nixhead:

only problem is, no one seems to want him...at least, not for anything worth trading for.
I don't mind keeping him, but if you can trade him for anything remotely valuable, that's obviously better than losing him for nothing
TMS
USA
8/17/2004  9:23 AM
but that's the point...it doesn't seem like you CAN trade him for anything remotely valuable at this point...that's why i've been proposing trades of KT for a future pick & an ending contract, because those 2 things give you better chips with which to make deals with...but it looks like the Knicks can't even get that anymore for him...i think the Knicks' best chance to trade him was last year when he had an expiring deal
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/17/2004  9:26 AM
i think the best we can hope for is that kurt's finger is healed and he's playing at a high level by the allstar break so we can move him. like others have said, he's best as a 6th man, and i think he's ready to accept that role now that he has his extension (unlike last year with dice). i'm probably crazy, but i think he's going to play REALLY well marbury. look at doleac - look at what playing with marbury did to his value and kurt has a very similar offensive game.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/17/2004  9:28 AM
its hard to say... I could see the Jazz signing him for the same type of $$$ as he would fit nicely into Sloan's pick and roll offense.

This is another big wait and see. If this contract is burden in a year or so (especially if Sweet breaks out) then its not good. If he's a valueable player for us good.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
USA
8/17/2004  9:40 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i think the best we can hope for is that kurt's finger is healed and he's playing at a high level by the allstar break so we can move him. like others have said, he's best as a 6th man, and i think he's ready to accept that role now that he has his extension (unlike last year with dice). i'm probably crazy, but i think he's going to play REALLY well marbury. look at doleac - look at what playing with marbury did to his value and kurt has a very similar offensive game.

very good point about KT's possible readiness to be a backup since he now has his extension...financial security definitely plays a role in why a player might not have been open to taking a backup role in the past...

now don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say KT is a garbage player that no one wants...only that it seems the Knicks signed him to an extension figuring he'd have good trade value, & for some reason or another, not many other teams seem interested in making any worthwhile trades for him...

on the 1 hand, if you're right that KT has a great year playing w/Marbs & his finger is fully healed, then his trade value goes up...but on the other hand, i want to see Sweetney starting games sometime this year, but then if KT goes back to being a backup PF, how does his trade value increase? it's a catch 22 it seems.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/17/2004  9:50 AM
I really like Crazy eyes Kurt. I think he is a good starting and a perfect backup PF. Not only was he not overpaid, he was also signed for a decent amount for a long time. I think it does more good than hurt us.

I love KT's defensive style. I love his mid range jumper and I love how he never bitches about playing Center. Good player and also I think a good team mate.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/17/2004  9:50 AM
KT could be a very good big man off the bench for a contending team Sure he has some flaws as a starter, but he would be a great 6th or 7th man.

We shoudln't undervalue him cause of the following seasons.
Bonn1997
USA
8/17/2004  11:10 AM
Posted by TMS:

but that's the point...it doesn't seem like you CAN trade him for anything remotely valuable at this point...that's why i've been proposing trades of KT for a future pick & an ending contract, because those 2 things give you better chips with which to make deals with...but it looks like the Knicks can't even get that anymore for him...
I'm sure they could get that for him now; they just don't want to. And I agree with them that Kurt's valuable enough that you don't *need* to trade him for just a pick. However, my view is that although it would be worse than just keeping Kurt, trading him for just a late 1st rd pick or early 2nd rd pick would be better than losing him for nothing, which is why I was agreeing with Raven that the extension was smart.
Bonn1997
USA
8/17/2004  11:11 AM
Posted by raven:

KT could be a very good big man off the bench for a contending team Sure he has some flaws as a starter, but he would be a great 6th or 7th man.
All 6th or 7th men have flaws; that's why they're not starters. Kurt would probably be a top 8 6th man in the league.
looking back, a good move by IT...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy