Member: #758
USA
4/9/2017  2:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:So which team on the court is looking to lock up an IMPOERANT playoff position in this game?

One note to all of those who hate the Triangle... Our replacement warriors are showing that the offense can work if EVERYONE buys into it, and if you take a look at the # of 3s taken today...we are shooting as many as Toronto 18 to 20 at this moment.

I know KP likes the offense because he was scoring better before his back issue...more midrange shots...

Just seems to me that if there is a will to play it, it can work.

We're seeing what Hornacek talked about early in the season. Triangle and P&R. Ive seen more P&R these last few games than Ive seen since Phil got here. Giving the players something more familiar, instinctive, in addition to the Triangle, makes the transition for new players, rookies, easier.

If the Triangle isnt clicking, there's a plan b. Also makes things less predictable. Its when the Triangle was overemphasized that things got complicated. It will be easier to attract players to NY IMO if they dont feel like they have to learn an entirely new language. Especially those on short term deals.

It's something that was always an option but it's up to the coach to decide how to implement it into the flow. Tex had PnR like this in his playbook and the Lakers used it as well.

The president of the team has mandated the offense. Hasn't been up to Hornacek. Im glad that we are now seeing more of the hybrid scheme that was talked about at the beginning of the season.

I'm not following your point. The way the Triangle offense is implemented is still up to Jeff. This is a modified version from how Rambis looked to run it. I can clearly see Jeff's imprint. In the end he's got them moving better and less robotic. Phil isn't directing everything by running a clinic once in a while.

Up to Jeff to run an offense he has no experience with, that is something of an anomaly in this league, difficult to teach, and not what made him one of the better young coaches in the league in Phoenix. When Jeff can run the offense without the Triangle (if he chooses) then it will be entirely up to him.

When Rambis goes somewhere on his own and makes himself a name as a head coach, I will give him credit. Seen too much in NY to be anything but skeptical about his impact with the Knicks.

I've said this before but Phil had NEVER run the Triangle when he took over the Bulls! Jeff is not an idiot but rather he has a great basketball mind. I'm not buying this argument at all. Jeff is calling the plays and making the in game decisions.

You may not see it but I know I can see Jeff in this offense. This is NOT a Rambis styled Triangle.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/9/2017  2:31 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:So which team on the court is looking to lock up an IMPOERANT playoff position in this game?

One note to all of those who hate the Triangle... Our replacement warriors are showing that the offense can work if EVERYONE buys into it, and if you take a look at the # of 3s taken today...we are shooting as many as Toronto 18 to 20 at this moment.

I know KP likes the offense because he was scoring better before his back issue...more midrange shots...

We're seeing what Hornacek talked about early in the season. Triangle and P&R. Ive seen more P&R these last few games than Ive seen since Phil got here. Giving the players something more familiar, instinctive, in addition to the Triangle, makes the transition for new players, rookies, easier.

If the Triangle isnt clicking, there's a plan b. Also makes things less predictable. Its when the Triangle was overemphasized that things got complicated. It will be easier to attract players to NY IMO if they dont feel like they have to learn an entirely new language. Especially those on short term deals.

You're seeing more P&Rs because Baker is becoming a true pass first lead guard...he and Willy have a good chemistry.

I think its debatable that the Triangle was "overemphasized." I think the issue was that certain people were unwilling to fully buy into it. Rose, Jennings, and Anthony (not always) had their own offensive agendas.
The guys playing now can be controlled.

It's not just Baker running the P&R, and its not just when he's on the court. Some teams just did a good job of defending against the Triangle. Even the biggest supporters of the Triangle, former players, say its a tough system to learn, takes several seasons. Thats why its good to run something more familiar alongside it. You're right some didnt buy in, and that's on the man who built the roster, and mandated the offense. Easing into the Triangle is better than a crash course IMO because as we've seen the outcome can be ugly.

I'm sorry but Buying In is on the players. There was no reason for Pros to not give 100% effort to try and learn the offense as well as give better effort on D.

Now we can just move on from those guys and move forward with players that give a damn.

Its on mgmt to find players who will buy in. That's part of the job. Players have to do their part as well, but its Phil's vision that we're going by, and how good of a job he does in making it a reality. That applies to all areas. Again, its a difficult system to learn, easy to see that things would get ugly at times. Plenty of players bought in, can't get around the learning curve.

WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

4/9/2017  2:31 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Right now is a good time to evaluate Baker

Baker will earn his keep in this league on the defensive end...Bakes should take notes from Lowry and the way he pressures the ball handler 94 feet...Lowry gets under the ball and makes the ball handler uncomfortable...

He can take notes but he doesn't have the foot speed that Lowry has. I like Baker but he has a really really really long way to go before he is a real rotation player that deserve minutes on a good team.

Undrafted kid who did not play PG in college comes into league and in his first year he...becomes a lead guard running an offense he had not played before... If this had been a tank season from day one, and he had gotteng consistent minutes...I think he'd be a second team all-rookie contender.

He might not have Lowry's foot speed, but he is a pretty tenacious defender, who seems to have a lot of pride in defending.

Seems to me he has made a case to be a rotation player at this point, and I expect that we will even see him playing better next year.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

4/9/2017  2:34 PM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

It's something that was always an option but it's up to the coach to decide how to implement it into the flow. Tex had PnR like this in his playbook and the Lakers used it as well.

The president of the team has mandated the offense. Hasn't been up to Hornacek. Im glad that we are now seeing more of the hybrid scheme that was talked about at the beginning of the season.

I'm not following your point. The way the Triangle offense is implemented is still up to Jeff. This is a modified version from how Rambis looked to run it. I can clearly see Jeff's imprint. In the end he's got them moving better and less robotic. Phil isn't directing everything by running a clinic once in a while.

Up to Jeff to run an offense he has no experience with, that is something of an anomaly in this league, difficult to teach, and not what made him one of the better young coaches in the league in Phoenix. When Jeff can run the offense without the Triangle (if he chooses) then it will be entirely up to him.

When Rambis goes somewhere on his own and makes himself a name as a head coach, I will give him credit. Seen too much in NY to be anything but skeptical about his impact with the Knicks.

I've said this before but Phil had NEVER run the Triangle when he took over the Bulls! Jeff is not an idiot but rather he has a great basketball mind. I'm not buying this argument at all. Jeff is calling the plays and making the in game decisions.

You may not see it but I know I can see Jeff in this offense. This is NOT a Rambis styled Triangle.

Phil had the guy who invented the Triangle sitting right beside him, a HOF coach. Who does Jeff have sitting beside him? Kurt freaking Rambis. Moving on.....

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/9/2017  2:35 PM
Thank you for the loss, basketball gods, just one more and the 6th pick is ours. I still think we'll beat the Sixers, which means we're picking no worse than 8th (unless a team finishing later than us leap frogs us in the lottery). Still hoping for a Kings win and a Twolves win, to help us secure the 6th.
WaltLongmire

4/9/2017  2:40 PM
Uptown wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Right now is a good time to evaluate Baker

Baker will earn his keep in this league on the defensive end...Bakes should take notes from Lowry and the way he pressures the ball handler 94 feet...Lowry gets under the ball and makes the ball handler uncomfortable...

He can take notes but he doesn't have the foot speed that Lowry has. I like Baker but he has a really really really long way to go before he is a real rotation player that deserve minutes on a good team.

He doesn't have the foot speed but from what I remember of him in college, he has the willingness to defend. Most great defenders WANT to defend and he has that in him. Needs to learn how to play the angles being that he doesn't have the foot speed of a Lowry...I agree that he's not a rotational guy on a really good team...He can play here, as a back up though...

Think the Cavs might prefer him at this time over D. Williams?

Guys like Baker will always have a place in the league...and I'll bet there are some teams out their wondering why they didn't take a shot at him in the 2nd Rnd.

Remember, we are talking about a guy who got hardly any floor time the first 2/3 of the season...A guy who some thought should not make the team, or be replaced by any number of guys who have played in the DL this year...

You are talking about a significant change in fortune in a very short time... Have to step back to appreciate what he has been able to do... and think about it, one part of his game that we all assumed would be a strong point (jump shooting) has not been up to par...

Quite an impressive closeout by Baker...not much else to say.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/9/2017  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/9/2017  2:42 PM
smackeddog wrote:Thank you for the loss, basketball gods, just one more and the 6th pick is ours. I still think we'll beat the Sixers, which means we're picking no worse than 8th (unless a team finishing later than us leap frogs us in the lottery). Still hoping for a Kings win and a Twolves win, to help us secure the 6th.

Yeah maybe we get a player like Shump or Danilo...that instantly makes us Elite

ES
WaltLongmire

4/9/2017  2:50 PM
smackeddog wrote:Thank you for the loss, basketball gods, just one more and the 6th pick is ours. I still think we'll beat the Sixers, which means we're picking no worse than 8th (unless a team finishing later than us leap frogs us in the lottery). Still hoping for a Kings win and a Twolves win, to help us secure the 6th.

T'Wolves have Lakers, who have been playing better...OKC and Houston... Houston might not play hard that last game since their playoff slot is guaranteed...and if OKC wins or Memphis was to lose to Detroit, their slot is also guaranteed, so they might let up.

Kings have Houston, Suns, and Lakers...they just need 1 win out of 3 and they can't finish below us in terms of record.

WaltLongmire

4/9/2017  2:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

???

Better to have a greater choice of players than to depend on what too many teams must do for us to get a player we really want.

nixluva
USA
4/9/2017  2:56 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Phil had the guy who invented the Triangle sitting right beside him, a HOF coach. Who does Jeff have sitting beside him? Kurt freaking Rambis. Moving on.....

Jeff has his own wealth of Knowledge. Kerr said he got a lot of his stuff from Jeff! Jeff can glean from Rambis and Phil whatever he needs but I think he's got this!! Just look at how the Triangle looks under Jeff and it's got some tweaks that have Jeff's fingerprints all on it. Unless you think Rambis added those PnR's and extra 3 point spacing.

First you've gotta know exactly what the Triangle Offense is before you can say what is added. The Knicks aren't running a Tex Style Triangle out of a two guard front with a lag pass or typical Side Triangle post feed.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

4/9/2017  3:35 PM
N'Dour is quietly posting net positive stat lines, even in games we lose. HE definitely impacts the game
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
USA
4/9/2017  3:39 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:N'Dour is quietly posting net positive stat lines, even in games we lose. HE definitely impacts the game

It's been good to see him start to loosen up and find a role. He's got more he can do IMO. These kids have some solid 2 Way potential. Gotta keep developing them.
smackeddog
Member: #883
4/9/2017  3:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Yes, because no player drafted at the 6th spot has ever helped change their teams destiny. You are one of only a handful of fools who think you can't rebuild via the draft and would rather win a game now than end with a high spot. I have no counter argument against that level of denial

reub
Member: #6227

4/9/2017  6:40 PM
nixluva wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:N'Dour is quietly posting net positive stat lines, even in games we lose. HE definitely impacts the game

It's been good to see him start to loosen up and find a role. He's got more he can do IMO. These kids have some solid 2 Way potential. Gotta keep developing them.

Ndour is playing great. When he sat down in the 3rd quarter is when the Raptors starting raining threes. His length and agility make a big difference in protecting the perimeter. Ntilikina would help us here too...and its our biggest need.

As far as Baker goes, with a more consistent outside shot he is just perfect for our offense. Derek Fisher-like.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/9/2017  6:52 PM

Saw today that Simmons is 7' tall now. If the sixes ever get embid and Simmons on the court together they will be a nightmare.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

4/10/2017  5:03 AM
Willy. Man.
What a get.
LEADS the league in double-doubles for rookies.
AHEAD of Embiid.

Right now Willy has played like a top 10 lotto pick.

Love me how Baker plays as well. Just hard nosed, high IQ, good winning basketball. Needs to work on his 3 ball with Horny all summer.

Not sure on NDour, but I like what he did since KP went out.

Tank Thread: Raptors visit the Garden

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy