8/16/2004  3:47 PM
Very interesting.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/16/2004  3:49 PM
The hawks have $6.8 M left in cap space to start Dampier at if he signs.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/16/2004  3:54 PM
Good news for us even though Atlanta still isn't completely out of the Dampier race, it definitely improves our chances. Who knows maybe Dampier has already made up his mind?
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/16/2004  3:54 PM
Posted by Andrew:

That's great. Now the Hawks can barely offer him more money than the Knicks and they probably wouldn't have signed Drobjnak if they thought they could get Dampier and wanted to use their cap room on him. Other teams still have more to offer in a sign and trade thant he Knicks do, though; I hope the Griz don't offer Stro Swift and the Pacers don't offer Bender.

From the article:
ATLANTA, GA -- (August 16, 2004) The Atlanta Hawks have obtained veteran center/forward Predrag “Peja” Drobnjak from the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for a 2005 second-round draft pick (from the New York Knicks),
How funny would it be if that 2nd rd pick not only helped us get TT and Nazy but also helped us get Dampier (by enabling this Drobnjak trade to go through)!! That would be the best 2nd rd pick we ever had!
s3231
USA
8/16/2004  3:56 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Andrew:

That's great. Now the Hawks can barely offer him more money than the Knicks and they probably wouldn't have signed Drobjnak if they thought they could get Dampier and wanted to use their cap room on him. Other teams still have more to offer in a sign and trade thant he Knicks do, though; I hope the Griz don't offer Stro Swift and the Pacers don't offer Bender.

From the article:
ATLANTA, GA -- (August 16, 2004) The Atlanta Hawks have obtained veteran center/forward Predrag “Peja” Drobnjak from the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for a 2005 second-round draft pick (from the New York Knicks),
How funny would it be if that 2nd rd pick not only helped us get TT and Nazy but also helped us get Dampier (by enabling this Drobnjak trade to go through)!! That would be the best 2nd rd pick we ever had!

Yea I was about to mention the irony of the 2nd rounder being our pick.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/16/2004  3:58 PM
How funny would it be if that 2nd rd pick not only helped us get TT and Nazy but also helped us get Dampier (by enabling this Drobnjak trade to go through)!! That would be the best 2nd rd pick we ever had

I actually forgot we gave up a pick in that deal. It's like finding a $10 bill you never knew you lost.
s3231
USA
8/16/2004  4:11 PM
Crap, according to hoopshype the Hawks still have a ton of cap space and enough to give Dampier that $40 million deal for 4 years

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm
Andrew
USA
8/16/2004  4:15 PM
Posted by s3231:

Crap, according to hoopshype the Hawks still have a ton of cap space and enough to give Dampier that $40 million deal for 4 years

The total at HoopsHype does not include the $3.2M qualifying offer to Joel Przybilla....so I think if you add that to the 36M figure they do have less that $7M left in cap space....unless they take back their qualifying offer (I think they can do that but i'm not sure).
PURE KNICKS LOVE
s3231
USA
8/16/2004  4:20 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by s3231:

The total at HoopsHype does not include the $3.2M qualifying offer to Joel Przybilla....so I think if you add that to the 36M figure they do have less that $7M left in cap space....unless they take back their qualifying offer (I think they can do that but i'm not sure).

Oh I completely forgot about that. Yea I think a team can take a qualifying offer back, not sure either though.

[Edited by - s3231 on 08/16/2004 16:36:17]
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
8/16/2004  5:13 PM
This sounds like good news. It seems like the Hawks can't make a great offer for Damps anymore. So either he takes decent money to play on a crap team, or less decent money to play on a good team.

Is Damps on the Kool-aid?
¿ △ ?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/16/2004  5:28 PM
I think it means Damp is signing with either Memphis, Indiana, or NY....

In Memphis he would be body guard to Pau but have to split time with Lorenzen Wright and maybe Swift if he re-signs....

In Indiana he would be O'Neals Body Guard.

In NY he would be the man in the middle of the spot light. He already said he wanted to play for the Knicks so WTF....sign already.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/16/2004  5:31 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

I think it means Damp is signing with either Memphis, Indiana, or NY....

In Memphis he would be body guard to Pau but have to split time with Lorenzen Wright and maybe Swift if he re-signs....

In Indiana he would be O'Neals Body Guard.

In NY he would be the man in the middle of the spot light. He already said he wanted to play for the Knicks so WTF....sign already.

Only problem is that Indiana and Memphis have used part or all of their MLE, respectively. We have a good shot here, folks.
¿ △ ?
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
8/16/2004  5:34 PM
I really hope we have a good shot but as we ALL know money talks but hopefully he meant what he said when he was in NY, that winning is the most important thing for him right now
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/16/2004  5:40 PM
If we can get Dampier, who knows we might be even able to get another championship here in NY! *Begs to God for Dampier*
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/16/2004  6:03 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, look at it this way. Maybe one of Dampier's beef's was that he'd have to do too much work carrying a thin front line in Atl (unless there's someone on the roster that I'm missing). Maybe ATL went out and got Predrag to show Damps that he'll have help via a capable backup creating a legit rotation at center. You think?
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
rain
Member: #353
USA
8/16/2004  6:13 PM
The problem is here.. gentlemen, that it sounds as if Isiah has agreed to give Baker a big chunk of the MLE, as a kick back to his and Crawford's agent, Goodwin. He hasn't offered it yet, but I think its done, however unfortunate... therefore making the Dampier option a "slim one".
Andrew
USA
8/16/2004  6:29 PM
Posted by rain:

The problem is here.. gentlemen, that it sounds as if Isiah has agreed to give Baker a big chunk of the MLE, as a kick back to his and Crawford's agent, Goodwin. He hasn't offered it yet, but I think its done, however unfortunate... therefore making the Dampier option a "slim one".

If Isiah agreed to give Baker some mid level money as it was reported a couple of weeks ago I think it would have been announced already. It still might happen, but I think Isiah is waiting to see if Dampier will take the Mid before giving it to Baker.

Also....its strange what was written today in the Daily news...

The two sides have had an agreement for the last several weeks, with the backup forward expected to get a two-year deal worth slightly more than $3.2 million.

A 2 year deal worth 3.2...not 3.2 a year. Sounds like LLE money to me if this is true.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/16/2004  7:31 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

Just to play devil's advocate, look at it this way. Maybe one of Dampier's beef's was that he'd have to do too much work carrying a thin front line in Atl (unless there's someone on the roster that I'm missing). Maybe ATL went out and got Predrag to show Damps that he'll have help via a capable backup creating a legit rotation at center. You think?
Actually, they have a pretty good starting frontcourt with Antoine Walker and Al Harrington. Sorry but I just can't picture Dampier saying, "I'll sign with you, but only if you get Drobnjak to help us out."
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
8/16/2004  7:48 PM
The LLE is 1.6 mil so a 2 year deal would equal 3.2 mil...but the problem is we've heard so many conflicting reports in the past 3 weeks about whether its the LLE or part of the MLE. We won't know untill its signed. I just don't think Zeke would give part of his MLE to Baker if he felt he still had a chance at Dampier, agreement with Goodwin or not.
Hawks given up on Damp?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy