[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why Are You A Fan?
Author Thread
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
3/27/2017  5:27 PM
Legitimate question. I've been a fan of Knicks since 1987, but this year I gave up.

Why do people continue to come on here talking about trades, the draft, who we should trade Melo for, can we build around Kristaps?

Isn't it absolute insanity to believe a team with James Dolan at the top will do anything but eventually become a loser? He is an insult of a human being, and has been a pox on this organization since 1999.

Why do you believe that ANYTHING will be different if they fire Phil, or trade Melo, or get a top draft pick, or hire another coach, or sign the right free agent? Why do you think suddenly, it will accomplish anything except eventually create a horrible disappointing season down the line where the Knicks are considered the worst team in the league. How often does this need to happen before you give up?

Because I did.

I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
AUTOADVERT
KP4Life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6117
USA
3/27/2017  5:53 PM
cause we ain't quiters.
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/27/2017  5:58 PM
This is a very good question, my 2nd team is the lakers, and there just as bad, if not worse.

I stop blaming Dolan, because he does hire some good people. I stop wearing my knicks hats, and t shirts, and I have no faith in the current regime, from the prez, to the coaching staff, to every player on the roster.

We are the biggest laughing stocks in sports, actually the only other franchise that's a tad bid worse is the Cleveland browns

ES
WP76
Member: #4508

3/27/2017  5:59 PM
Whether or not I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer is a matter of debate but I am loyal. Knicks fan since the late 60s and, no matter how bad they suck, I'm never giving up on them.
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/27/2017  6:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  6:29 PM
So you missed the Rory Sparrow, Louis Orr, Glen Gondrezick(white dude with a fro)#44, Truck Robinson, Ray Williams, Michael Ray(Ship Be Sinking)Richardson era???..This pain pre-dates Dolan...It is, what it is..Your either got the Knick love bug or you do...Watching the Knicks seem to have become more than just watching basketball..It's the Knicks..

I just want to see a competitive game...Doesn't have to be a Championship team, just competitive and watchable...Let me be disappointed at a loss..Too much to ask??..My favorite run was in the 90s...I was too young to appreciate Clyde, Earl the Pearl, Dollar Bill. Dave D'B defense...But great defense in the 90s and seeing players leave it on the floor, loss after crushing loss, just made me a lifer...It kills me now that it seems like they aren't even trying to win as an organization..Woodson was doing something, making us look competitive...We couldn't get him out the door fast enough..Now our seasons end in January and Feb...Just crushing...I really can't see an end to this...We aren't rebuilding around defense..Well, do we even have a plan?? They ain't saying...Just painful to watch..But I still watch...
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/27/2017  6:16 PM
If you don't know then your not a true fan. But since you aaked... it has nothing to do with the owner or winning record. It has to do with watching and rooting for one team since you were old enough to watch a game and shoot a basketball. Has to do with going to games with your dad and friends. Has to do with all the times you were pretending to be Bernard King, Ray Williams, Campie Russell, Patrick Ewing, John Starks on the black top. Has to do with following one teams every game, stat, player and draft since you can remember. You don't just change something you have been just cuz. As tough as that may be.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
blkexec
Member: #748
3/27/2017  6:36 PM
For me it's simple...Being a fan keeps my NY connection. As a kid....i was a sports fan first.....until another kid asked me whos my team....All I knew was NY everything....So when I left in 10th grade and went to military school in Jersey....I became NY everything and the bond grew strongrr. Then I fell in love with the knicks of the 90s, and their gritty passion to win.....and when I found out I was born the year they won their last ship.....It was a natural connection. Just thinking about me in diapers and my dad drinking and celebrating brings me chills. It's more than Dolan. Its like a cult.....Especially when u live outside of NY. Im in dallas and when u see another knick fan, its like being part of a fraternity. I bleed orange and blue. I represent my team regardless of their record. It's also a direct alignment with representing NY.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/27/2017  6:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  6:39 PM
Because I am a glutton for punishment.
But unlike some people who only care about acquiring broken down stars to compete for first round exits, I want to see us build a real team that can be a perennial contender without having to starfukk every off season because whatever team we put on the floor wasnt good enough for some self obsessed one dimensiinal chucker. Its a weak approach starting with a weak core that has more question marks than it has answers.

Apparently competing for first round exits is the end all be all for some people, I just want more. And in order to get more I am willing to make payments of taking several seasons of less.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/27/2017  6:48 PM
Clyde, Pearl and Namath are why I'm a Knicks and Jets fan. Those stars locked in early and the losing just seemed to intensify the fandom.
VCoug
Member: #1406

3/27/2017  7:40 PM
To be perfectly honest, I'm not as big a Knicks fan today as I was prior to the Summer of 2012. Refusing to match Lin's contract was such a slap in the face to the fans and I really haven't gotten over it. Truthfully, I've probably watched more (way more) NY Giants games over the last 5 seasons than I have Knicks games. Maybe if we ever start acting like a semi-competent franchise (or if Dolan's ever gone) I'll find my former passion but right now it's just whatever.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

3/27/2017  9:02 PM
Once a Knicks Always a Knicks
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/27/2017  9:04 PM
Hope
¿ △ ?
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/28/2017  9:52 AM
The Giants were bad for quite a long time, then won two SuperBowls with Eli. Eventually the Knicks will win a chip, and it will be MUCH sweeter for those of us who stuck it out, then for Johnny-Come-Lately's like you.

Besides, my second team is DC, and they are kicking ass this year

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/28/2017  9:56 AM
everyone should have at least one dysfunctional borderline abusive relationship in life. It builds character. Mine is with the Knicks.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/28/2017  10:11 AM
KP4Life wrote:cause we ain't quiters.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/28/2017  10:58 AM
Its indelible since I was a kid in the early 1970's.
Read all the books by Holzman, and all the championship knicks at that time.
Clyde was cool, Earl was funk/jazz, Willis was integrity, Bradley was the Intellect, Debussure was Blue collar!
Dancing harry!
My uncles season tickets!
Tickey Burden!
Nathanel Horthone Wingo!!
John Gianelli!
Cazzie!
Action Jackson
Sparrow! Orr! The Beast! Bernard! Frozen envelopes! Starks!! Riles..etc.......

Phil is a knick. Mentored under Red Holzman. I root for Phil to succeed. There is a connection, and if Dolan's money made a better connection, then Im ok with that!

Shout to University of South Carolina!! Former Knicks Frank Mcguire!!! and Tom Riker!!!

Too much history.

Why Are You A Fan?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy