[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game thread: Ali had frazier but first beat Liston, Knicks need to tank and not beat Piston!!!
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/27/2017  11:18 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:lol at me being Latvian, that's a good one !
I am saying you can not equate being statistically decent in a category to overall style of play.

Rose may average 4-5 assists. However he plays like a SG. A team that has issues passing the ball, playing too much isolation, you don't think that has anything to do with the fact that it's top 2 players play a certain way?

The point I was making. Just because KP is good at blocking shots doesn't make him a good defender. He is not a good defender, yet. Same way, Rose may lead the team in assists but that does not mean he should be seen as a good passer. He has poor passing instincts unless it's pick and roll basketball with a big rolling, He is only good at passing when the big is rolling. Any other situation his PG skills are very weak at the NBA level.

Melo may be good in certain stats, but the thing that was quite obvious was that he came into this season in shoot first, second and third mode. That combined with Rose's inability to be a good PG, really hurt our offensive chemistry.

If there's one thing you definitely don't want in the Triangle, it's a shooting guard type player who can get to the rim at will and averages 5apg. That would never work in the Triangle, which has never had success with shooting guard type players and has always relied on pure point guards.

You can't this daft without it being on purpose right?
Kobe and MJ played Lee's and Melo's role. Fisher and Paxton played Rose's role.

They brought the ball up, and passed then went to shoot three pointers. If the guy was open, made the pass.
The PG in the Triangle does not play Rose's role. What Rose does is different.

That said, I don't think we ran much Triangle until recent. Rose has gotten some support from Horny in recent weeks on his adjustemnt. Who knows what the season would have been at the start of the year all Tri.

Anyway back to your point, no way man, is Rose or was Rose ever playing the MJ or Kobe role. Go watch youtube videos on how MJ and Kobe played in the Triangle. Much more like a better Melo. Much better.

AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/27/2017  11:28 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Why has Stanley Johnson been such a non-factor for Detroit this year? Figured he'd be getting about 25MPG this year at the 2 & 3. Have not followed his season...expected more after some fine moments last year.
I was wondering the same thing. Could it be Stan? They were saying that he held a practice where he just didn't say anything because he felt he was being too critical.

It was probably the GM in him undermining the coach

Maybe we can get Briggs to straighten Stan out.

Clearly Van Gundy sees things that we don't...but if you're looking at a young player taking the next step after a rookie season that had some bright moments, SVG seems to have done a poor job facilitating that step.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/27/2017  11:31 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
I am saying you can not equate being statistically decent in a category to overall style of play.

Rose may average 4-5 assists. However he plays like a SG. A team that has issues passing the ball, playing too much isolation, you don't think that has anything to do with the fact that it's top 2 players play a certain way?

The point I was making. Just because KP is good at blocking shots doesn't make him a good defender. He is not a good defender, yet. Same way, Rose may lead the team in assists but that does not mean he should be seen as a good passer. He has poor passing instincts unless it's pick and roll basketball with a big rolling, He is only good at passing when the big is rolling. Any other situation his PG skills are very weak at the NBA level.

Melo may be good in certain stats, but the thing that was quite obvious was that he came into this season in shoot first, second and third mode. That combined with Rose's inability to be a good PG, really hurt our offensive chemistry.

If there's one thing you definitely don't want in the Triangle, it's a shooting guard type player who can get to the rim at will and averages 5apg. That would never work in the Triangle, which has never had success with shooting guard type players and has always relied on pure point guards.

They brought the ball up, and passed then went to shoot three pointers. If the guy was open, made the pass.

That said, I don't think we ran much Triangle until recent. Rose has gotten some support from Horny in recent weeks on his adjustemnt. Who knows what the season would have been at the start of the year all Tri.

Anyway back to your point, no way man, is Rose or was Rose ever playing the MJ or Kobe role. Go watch youtube videos on how MJ and Kobe played in the Triangle. Much more like a better Melo. Much better.

So your argument is the Triangle has failed because Melo is not Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant - two of the top ten (maybe five) players of all time? And that's Melo's fault, not Phil's? Thumbs up. Couldn't have said it better myself.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/27/2017  11:41 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

So your argument is the Triangle has failed because Melo is not Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant - two of the top ten (maybe five) players of all time? And that's Melo's fault, not Phil's? Thumbs up. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think the more rational explanation is that Melo could most definitely have bought into the ball movement of the offense as he did last year. It's not about being exactly like MJ and Kobe but rather assuming the role of a lead player and making the most of it. Melo will always be able to get his but as you saw tonight he didn't have to force it much. Just let it come to him and move the ball in the flow.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/27/2017  11:54 PM
smackeddog wrote:Dammit Nalod, martin was on a perfect 0-4 on game threads he started- if we win, it's on you

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/28/2017  3:09 AM
crzymdups wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:Rose seems to have finally figured out our offense is playing efficient. Is it too far fetched to resign him?

I would definitely consider it at this point. I like Rose. He wants to win. He needs more effort on D. But he could be an excellent sixth man for us. Not sure if he would be okay with that.

His priority is, and has been all season, a big new contract, not winning.

smackeddog
3/28/2017  3:10 AM
ScoreBot wrote:
FINAL
NYK 109 DET 95

NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smackeddog
3/28/2017  3:15 AM
Is this some sort of joke?!:

1 or 2 more wins is the difference between 4th pick and 8th! They think they deserve some wins for morale?! They don't deserve to feel good about this season- they have sucked most of the year, played selfish, played no defense, put in little effort and not listened to coach- they deserve to feel crap about it. Now they think some meaningless wins will make them feel good while destroying our future?! ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

smackeddog
3/28/2017  3:17 AM
Oh go away Melo, FFS...

We are a team full of idiots:

smackeddog
3/28/2017  3:19 AM
Me and Nixluva after the win & a quick look at Tankathon for an update:

nyknickzingis

3/28/2017  7:29 AM
crzymdups wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Again it seems you're purposely being daft with this.
You pointed to Rose's skills being good or same to MJ. I disagree. MJ was great off the ball, he was great with the ball and a dominant scorer but he played the 2/3 role while Paxton or BJ Armstrong brought the ball up. sometimes Pippen as well. That is not what Rose is supposed to do.

It has nothing to do with Melo, atleast in terms of what we were discussing about Rose. Rose is not good at coming off the ball and taking midrange jumpshots, something MJ was great at. Melo can do it, which is what I was saying

For Rose to be a good point guard in the Triangle he needs to be a better 3 point shooter and better at playing off the ball. To be fair to him he has done a solid job since the all star break. He has not laid eggs or rolled over. He has done pretty well.

The season in general, at the start of the year, up to the 40-45 game mark, I thought Rose played with tunnel vision. I don't think he's a good point guard in a PG reliant offense. He plays extremly selfish basketball. He does not find open teammamtes and has tunnel vision on drives. We saw this and complained about it alot of the year. Don't know why this is about the Triangle now. Rose is who he is, and didn't make much adjustments during the first 45 games of the year. Both he and Melo played the same way they played in their careers, which is high usage rate, not looking to pass often or find the open man, looking to get "theirs".

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/28/2017  10:05 AM
if you watch any of these highlights the thing that jumps out is how many good shots start with a Willy screen. He had a "quiet" 15pts and 5rebs on 6-9 shooting but he was all over the place on offense setting bruising screens and moving the ball. This guy is showing so many positives
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
3/28/2017  10:11 AM
smackeddog wrote:Me and Nixluva after the win & a quick look at Tankathon for an update:

Yeah that SUCKED! The damage was not as bad as I imagined. Dropped to 6th spot but hopefully a few losses can get us back to 4th. You can tell the Knicks were going for wins and I just knew this Pistons game was one they could win.

I don't understand the Knicks thinking at this point unless they feel the draft is so even that it doesn't matter where they pick.

nixluva
USA
3/28/2017  10:23 AM
fishmike wrote:if you watch any of these highlights the thing that jumps out is how many good shots start with a Willy screen. He had a "quiet" 15pts and 5rebs on 6-9 shooting but he was all over the place on offense setting bruising screens and moving the ball. This guy is showing so many positives

Yeah but he's not a building block. KP and Willy aren't worth building around.

In general good things have happened as Willy has gotten more and more PT. You can see how he can impact how the team plays. The chemistry has been improving and I look forward to seeing how he grows as a player.

Also loved how KP played. Much closer to the basket where he's very accurate. Saw more of the Down Screen Catch and Shoot looks. Little Curls and Slashing to the hoop.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/28/2017  11:21 AM
martin wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
franco12 wrote:thank you Nalod. Thread should have been locked!

Yes, agreed. Nalod should be banned from making game threads the rest of the year.

Everyone is banned but me!

Yeah, its the thread title............No worries, I won't start anymore game threads this season!!

Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
3/28/2017  11:23 AM
During the Spurs game Clyde said he doesn't see Willy as a starting center. He can't handle most teams 5's. Theyve all roasted hmm mostly. Great off the bench though. I still think with a defensively committed PG and SF Noah would look a lot better out there.
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
3/28/2017  11:23 AM
During the Spurs game Clyde said he doesn't see Willy as a starting center. He can't handle most teams 5's. Theyve all roasted hmm mostly. Great off the bench though. I still think with a defensively committed PG and SF Noah would look a lot better out there.
nixluva
USA
3/28/2017  11:35 AM
Zebo13 wrote:During the Spurs game Clyde said he doesn't see Willy as a starting center. He can't handle most teams 5's. Theyve all roasted hmm mostly. Great off the bench though. I still think with a defensively committed PG and SF Noah would look a lot better out there.

Willy needs to get stronger and learn more about proper defensive techniques. There are a LOT of tricks of the trade bigs use. Leverage, hand fighting, holding just enough to gain the advantage etc. young players don't always know all this stuff. On D Willy has quick feet and moves very well.
I think he's going to be ok defensively with time.

nyknickzingis

3/28/2017  12:09 PM
Zebo13 wrote:During the Spurs game Clyde said he doesn't see Willy as a starting center. He can't handle most teams 5's. Theyve all roasted hmm mostly. Great off the bench though. I still think with a defensively committed PG and SF Noah would look a lot better out there.

We get roasted at every position.
There isn't a position we defend well. Not a single.

Silly comment from Clyde in the sense that if defense is what you judge if a player should start or not, neither KP-Melo-Rose should be starting as well. We don't have any good man defenders outside of Lance Thomas and Courtney Lee based on this season.

nixluva
USA
3/28/2017  12:20 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:

We get roasted at every position.
There isn't a position we defend well. Not a single.

Silly comment from Clyde in the sense that if defense is what you judge if a player should start or not, neither KP-Melo-Rose should be starting as well. We don't have any good man defenders outside of Lance Thomas and Courtney Lee based on this season.

For me it's going to have to start on the perimeter. If we can upgrade the PG, SG and SF spot with capable defenders then that will make things easier for Willy and KP who are more than capable of cleaning up. If guys are just getting clean runs at the hoop then it weakens what Willy and KP can do cuz they're always out of position trying to cover up.
Game thread: Ali had frazier but first beat Liston, Knicks need to tank and not beat Piston!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy