[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kuz 5 games started 14 ppg 65.8TS%
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/26/2017  8:19 AM
He's been quite good on offense as a starter this season.
Problem is his defense.

However the guy is legit NBA level talent.

I wonder if he can work on his defense over the summer.
I think all of our skilled players like Willy, KP and Kuz need to work on their defense. I know they are very early in their NBA careers, but their defense is the biggest issue right now. Willy and Kuz in particular play really, really bad defense.

I'm hoping Kuz comes back next year and works on his defense this summer. I think Phil has done a really good job in picking up guys like Willy and Kuz. The Spurs commentators were all over how good Kuz was. They want him.

AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/26/2017  8:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  8:32 AM
It's that european thing. They just are missing a basketball chromosome. Kuz looks like a 20pt scorer but then he'll throw a pass into the 5th row or get caught spinning around on defense.... crazy. He's legit though. Would love for him to stick around. He's valuable to a teams routine.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MS
Member: #724
3/26/2017  10:48 AM
Build up his value and hopefully we can flip him with KOQ for a team that needs depth and get a late first round pick
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/26/2017  10:52 AM
His offensive game is promising. But he might be the worst defender on the team. I remember the Celtics just went at him four or five times in a row in the Christmas game and scored every time. My brother was watching with me and he's not a basketball fan but even he was like "why is that guy in the game? They're killing him."
¿ △ ?
Chandler
Member: #6197

3/26/2017  2:02 PM
Willy and kuz both seem more than willing to put the work in to improve

If they can contribute on D they will be major assets

If our team were able to get a person with a KG or Sheed mentality who both knows defense and communicates it would be a big plus

Might Be too optimistic to expect such from Noah but I'll hold out hope

(5)(5)
wargames
Member: #6053

3/26/2017  9:00 PM
MS wrote:Build up his value and hopefully we can flip him with KOQ for a team that needs depth and get a late first round pick

I am not mad at this strategy. Gel half the reason I think the emphasis is on letter youth play is to get them exposure to build up some trade value.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/26/2017  9:08 PM
Chandler wrote:Willy and kuz both seem more than willing to put the work in to improve

If they can contribute on D they will be major assets

If our team were able to get a person with a KG or Sheed mentality who both knows defense and communicates it would be a big plus

Might Be too optimistic to expect such from Noah but I'll hold out hope

Noah is supposed to be that guy. We just hasn't seen that. Not even a little bit.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/26/2017  11:38 PM
Id be curious to see what his numbers would be like with a quality pass first PG. I would keep him around until the first trading deadline next season to hopefully find out.
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
3/27/2017  4:26 AM
EnySpree wrote:It's that european thing. They just are missing a basketball chromosome. Kuz looks like a 20pt scorer but then he'll throw a pass into the 5th row or get caught spinning around on defense.... crazy. He's legit though. Would love for him to stick around. He's valuable to a teams routine.

Its basically 2 things...
First in Europe you grow up playing various zone defences.
The zones... 2-1-2, 2-3, 1-3-1 etc are really the basic thing you teach the kids here. This however is done to a great perfection I think. The shifting as a team on D is amazing on well coached teams even in lower leagues. Which btw kinda matches the offensive game plans teams use... with a lot less reliance on the ability to beat your guy 1-on-1 but finding the way to the basket via cuts and passes rather.
Based on this the tenacity to stay with your guy is often times not there to the same degree as in the US.

Second... I think especially on NBA level we have to talk about athletic abilities of the players. For guys like Kuz and Willy its the first time in their careers that they have to defend this kind of dynamic players on an everyday basis... I do think both have the tools to adjust and become useful one-on-one defenders though.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/27/2017  7:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  7:53 AM
And most rookies struggle on defense. Even great players early on in their careers were pretty bad defenders. It's usually college players who have had a few years in college, come into the NBA and defend well immediately. Most freshmen, international rookies struggle for a few years.

I'd like to see Kuz back next year. He's a good player on offense. He needs to work on his defense.

I think about the Knicks team and I'm surprised that the team has so many players with 3 or less years in the NBA.

Full NBA seasons before this year:

KP (1)
Willy (0)
Kuz (0)
Holiday (3)
Baker (0)
Randle (0)

Interesting to see if some of these guys come back next year improved. I bring them all back, KP/Willy as starters, the rest as backups. I think there is quite a bit room to grow in the system and within the team internally if you have players who have little NBA experience and you keep them a few years. We'll be adding a 2017 top 6 lottery pick, and maybe one or two rookies from the second round. If Melo is traded, this team will be in a great situation for a real rebuild, with lots of young players on the rise vs older declining vets like we had with Melo, Rose, Noah.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/27/2017  9:00 AM
I love Kuz. He is the only player on our roster that can hit the open 3 every time. Granted, he was struggling for a while, but you can see he has that skill- lethal outside shooting touch.

I do have to give Kudos to Phil & the FO for finding him and getting him.

Begrudgingly, I'm sure the triangle plays some part in getting him to come/be successful.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/27/2017  11:07 AM
He can ball - the Olympics sort of proved that. I think he probably struggled with transitioning over here. I think he's going to be a lot better next year. Hopefully we really need outside scoring and the Knicks need what he can offer
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/27/2017  11:28 AM
He could have a nice year next year. I would not count on him for a big role. He fails the eye test IMO. Gets lost on D and misses a lot of pretty good looks. He's long and athletic and a nice ball mover. He was a good player to bring in for a look. I like the reasoning that got him here. Not sure if I am sold on him as a player. A year makes a big difference. I am willing to wait and see
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/27/2017  11:53 AM
It's weird how quickly Rosen has thrown him under a bus
blkexec
Member: #748
3/27/2017  12:07 PM
To Kuz defense.....90% of the NBA suck on defense. The key things to look at is not defense or offense, but the willingness to learn and push yourself and age.

I don't think we can afford to throw cheap young talent away like that. Especially when we have expensive old (no talent) players taking up space.

Logic suggest that we try to get rid of old, expensive, no talent players......and keep the young, cheap, talent. I don't make millions, and don't have GM experience, but it seems logical to me (1+1=2). Hopefully phil has the same elementary school logic as well, when trying to build up a championship team, by creating a solid young foundation.

I'm not sure I want to trade KOQ.....He's basically giving us what Noah was suppose to give us, but a healthy version at a lower cost.

I understand using a young promising player plus Noah (for example), to unload an unwanted contract. But with the cap increasing, I'm not sure that strategy works anymore. Plus it's not like Noah doesn't want to be here or is a cancer, like Rose and Melo can turn out to be. These guys seems to have the hardest adjustment to the triangle. Phil needs to decide on who he's going to keep.

I say keep one selfish scorer (Melo or Rose)....And build around your potential young stars!

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Kuz 5 games started 14 ppg 65.8TS%

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy