The more I see Marbury
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/17/2004  2:13 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i wouldnt evaluate marbury at the olympics because this type of game is not suited for his style of play. here is an explanation PGs like Mike Bibbiy and John Stockton are fluid team players. They are in constant motion[by the way thats why i like rip for the olympics his style of play is made for it] marbury and iversen pound the ball into the ground to much because they have been the center pieces of their respective nBA teams. Stockton and Bibby -while being highly talented are mere pieces that fit into solid team play. You see glimpses of Marbury with team play--the best example is Phoenix and SA playoffs-- but for the most part--even dating back to GT--Marbury is THE GUY. Its hard to get two guys like iversen and marbury on a team and expect cohesion.

I still believe that if the USA team changes course and focuses on POWER--using the 4 bigs amare boozer emeka and duncan in two set rotations i.e 2 of the 4 are ALWAYS on the court--use a BIG 2G and sit either marbury or iversen and substitute Marion for Jefferson

any way you look at it, we WILL not have a great outside shooting team. The way we win actually is how the Knicks won in the 90s power it inside EVERY time in the halfcourt and aggresively defend+rebound. We can run opportunistically, but we also ned to run to get back on the D first and foremost.

I agree with this... I still think this USA team can win on defense and physical play. We need to be more patient on D. These international teams use the whole 30 secs. It doesnt help that everyone has been ice cold. We have seen Marbury, Iverson, Marion, Wade get hot with the shooting. Now would be a good time. I suprised we havent seen more motion and backdoor plays that take advantage of our athleticism.

Some would call me a homer but I'm putting a little faith in Larry B and this US squad to straighten their stuff out before its too late.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/17/2004  2:16 PM
the difference between fans and "fans" from a knicks point of view

scenario: knicks just lost to the pacers in a game 7.

fans response: "i can't believe ewing missed that finger roll. you guys are killing me"

"fans" response: "i can't believe ewing missed that finger roll. you guys SUCK"

scenario: knicks just lost to the raptors in game 5.

fans response: "man, if we only had camby"

"fans" response: "we can't beat toronto? man, the knicks SUCK"

scenario: isiah just traded for stephon marbury.

fans response: "yeah. finally a star player from new york, and it only cost us a draft pick and 2 rookies"

"fans" response: "marbury? aww man, he never wins. he SUCKS. we should gotten reef, sheed, or ratliff instead."

scenario: knicks get swept by the nets.

fans response: "that's alright. we didn't have h20 or tim and the nets are just better"

"fans" response: "man, we just got swept by the nets. marbury SUCKS"

now, the question is, which type of fan/"fan" are you?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/17/2004  2:27 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by BRIGGS:

i wouldnt evaluate marbury at the olympics because this type of game is not suited for his style of play. here is an explanation PGs like Mike Bibbiy and John Stockton are fluid team players. They are in constant motion[by the way thats why i like rip for the olympics his style of play is made for it] marbury and iversen pound the ball into the ground to much because they have been the center pieces of their respective nBA teams. Stockton and Bibby -while being highly talented are mere pieces that fit into solid team play. You see glimpses of Marbury with team play--the best example is Phoenix and SA playoffs-- but for the most part--even dating back to GT--Marbury is THE GUY. Its hard to get two guys like iversen and marbury on a team and expect cohesion.

I still believe that if the USA team changes course and focuses on POWER--using the 4 bigs amare boozer emeka and duncan in two set rotations i.e 2 of the 4 are ALWAYS on the court--use a BIG 2G and sit either marbury or iversen and substitute Marion for Jefferson

any way you look at it, we WILL not have a great outside shooting team. The way we win actually is how the Knicks won in the 90s power it inside EVERY time in the halfcourt and aggresively defend+rebound. We can run opportunistically, but we also ned to run to get back on the D first and foremost.

I agree with this... I still think this USA team can win on defense and physical play. We need to be more patient on D. These international teams use the whole 30 secs. It doesnt help that everyone has been ice cold. We have seen Marbury, Iverson, Marion, Wade get hot with the shooting. Now would be a good time. I suprised we havent seen more motion and backdoor plays that take advantage of our athleticism.

Some would call me a homer but I'm putting a little faith in Larry B and this US squad to straighten their stuff out before its too late.

man...i wouldn't even want to think about the ramifications if this squad doesn't win the gold, let alone medal altogether. they're treading a fine line here. iverson starting to call out some players (no names mentioned) along with larry brown's frustration. it's early, but nothing good can come of this if they don't win. and that's all they need to do, be it by 20 points or by 1 point, they just need to win.

briggs, you are right. if iverson can't go, this may be a blessing in disguise. this'll free up marbury to handle the rock for the majority of the time. princeton offense fellas, that's what needs to be done here. there's no way anybody is dealing with our physical players or athleticism. we need to take advantage of that.
fishmike
USA
8/17/2004  2:36 PM
I should have said dont bother.. its a pattern with him. Eventually people on this board will realize all his posts are the same and any discussion he's involved in degrades into the same arguement.
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/17/2004  2:51 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Some would call me a homer

Fishmike is quite the poet.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
8/17/2004  6:33 PM
Marbury is a franchise PG. Keep him, add parts, collect championships...
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/18/2004  12:44 PM
Isles, that's fair. I suppose I see some of where you're coming from with your playoff views. I honestly just don't feel he had enough to work with for four games to be a fair judge, in this case. As for the Arroyo comment, I didn't realize that it was tounge in cheek.

As for the 'infinite funds' concept, I guess it depends on how you view it. Bonn had mentioned, numerous times, that in the next two seasons we'll have $60 million in ending contracts. In theory, we could drop slightly under the cap in two years, if we stopped adding pieces, so the financial situation isn't hopeless. However, does it really matter? I do believe we have nearly unlimited funds for a few reasons. One, I keep hearing people tell me that the luxury tax might not be triggered for the next few years. We were spending $120-$140 MM every year with the luxury tax invoked. Without it, we can afford to have a $100 MM payroll or more. Second, it all depends on getting fair value. I don't think any player that Isiah has personally signed has gotten a ridiculous deal. Crawford did ask for 7 years, $70 MM, but only got 7 years, $56 MM. Kurt got a fair extension. The rest has been moving around bad deals, and trying to add pieces that help.

I honestly don't think our odds would be that good by rebuilding and going through free agency. Here's why: Usually teams with minimal payroll have very poor records, so top line free agents don't want to sign there. So that Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, etc... free agent that we all desire, likely would stay with their current contending team, rather than leaving into an unknown rebuilding project. The best we could reasonably expect to do with a poor team into free agency is a guy like Steve Nash. Did you want Nash for $65 MM over 5 years with a $15 MM option for a sixth? I sure as hell didn't. Phoenix overpaid, because that was the only way they could get him. Utah overpaid for Okur & Boozer, because that was the only way free agents would sign there. See the dilemma? You need a winning team to attract free agents, winning teams usually cost money, but if you're spending money, the cap doesn't let you sign free agents? The only exception is Denver, who got good real quick, while still under the cap. That's the rare case, and would've been a big risk trying to hope for that. So, then you're hoping for that superstar draft pick, which is a huge crapshoot.

Anyway, at this point, I'm off the rebuilding kick. Sure, somewhere a year ago, I still feel my rebuilding team of Lampe, Sweetney, Vujanic, F. Williams, some more good picks, to go with a vet core of Van Horn, Dice/Kurt, Deke and Allan Houston, and then a few free agents once we got under the cap, to see how competitive we'd be in 2007, and possibly even make the playoffs once or twice before that. Isiah didn't share that vision and went a different path. At this point, it's done, and Isiah isn't going to stop in the middle and say, 'rebuilding would be better'. So, at this point, you have to keep looking ahead with the current mindset. That's what our GM is doing, and we are getting more athletic, younger and, arguably, considerably more talented. So, let's see what happens. If we win the championship in three years, great, but guess what? We're three years away from finding out, so let's just have some patience.

[Edited by - Solace on 08/18/2004 13:07:01]
fishmike
USA
8/18/2004  12:58 PM
Solace, I've missed you.
I appreciate your views. Just because someone doesnt do something the way you think it should be done, doesnt make it wrong.
I get called a homer because I preach patience or a wait and see attitude. Heck, Isiah may fail miserably, or this team may be stuck at 45 wins for the next 5 year unable to do anything because of bad contracts. I doutb it but anything is possible.

At least w/ Isiah you see a plan. With Layden obviously there was none. The jury is still out on really off his moves, but since the beginning he's talked about getting younger, more athletic, more versatile... he's accomplishing those goals. He knows the NBA and he's been solid judge of talent in the past. Hopefully he's successfull here. We will know in a couple years.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/18/2004  1:11 PM
I've missed you too fish. *tear* I've even missed Bippity (that married sap) and the others, as well.

I wasn't able to access UK from work, so I never started posting here when the others made this their primary board. For the past few days, I've been able to access UK from work, but if they start to block it again, I have one way around it, albeit it, it's much slower. Hopefully it continues to remain unblocked, but I won't bet on it.

[Edited by - Solace on 08/18/2004 13:12:32]
fishmike
USA
8/18/2004  1:38 PM
this is the only one I can post on. I made it my home the first time I got kicked off MSG and have just stayed since.

Its not fancy, just nut and bolts. I like the other stuff they have added and of course its the best site for Knick news and media fodder.. so it just made sense to post here.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/18/2004  2:18 PM
hey fish, since you refused to post at our forums when we started it up, we figured we'd come harass you over here instead.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/18/2004  2:32 PM
Posted by Solace:

I wasn't able to access UK from work, so I never started posting here when the others made this their primary board. For the past few days, I've been able to access UK from work, but if they start to block it again, I have one way around it, albeit it, it's much slower. Hopefully it continues to remain unblocked, but I won't bet on it.

Geeze...you must have a really strict workplace.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
8/18/2004  2:41 PM
mines the same way. Forums, chat, webmail... all are big no-no's. For whatever reason the proxy doesnt block this site (thank god).

Thats what you get for working for a bank.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/18/2004  2:54 PM
Can I get some love too? Or do I have to go get that hooker?

I came here because I missed my good buddy Fish.

Solace, you may not think that any one deal is bad but we took on about $170 million in additional contracts in the Marbury and Crawford deals. If we use those expiring contracts to make other deals we're just going to keep adding to that.

I understand and appreciate your point about free agents being unwilling to come to bad teams. There's certainly some validity to it. But like you said, it's about getting and using high draft picks in order to rebuild. Certainly there's luck involved in that but sometimes that's what it takes, the way San Antonio, Houston, Denver and Cleveland got their Franchise players. Like I've said, it's about flexibility in being able to obtain players instead of relying on just expiring contracts.

I agree that what's done is done and we have to look from this point forward. That's why I didn't think signing a fundamentally challenged backup in Crawford to a long term deal was a good idea. At this point I would have planned everything around Houston's deal expiring. Stockpile young talent and draft picks while clearing cap room for when Houston comes off so you can be a player in free agency and build around Marbury and hopefully a top free agent big man. Everyone here seems to be of the mind that we arne't going to be a contender for 3 more years at least so what would have been the harm in that?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/18/2004  3:37 PM
Posted by Solace:

Isles, that's fair. I suppose I see some of where you're coming from with your playoff views. I honestly just don't feel he had enough to work with for four games to be a fair judge, in this case. As for the Arroyo comment, I didn't realize that it was tounge in cheek.

As for the 'infinite funds' concept, I guess it depends on how you view it. Bonn had mentioned, numerous times, that in the next two seasons we'll have $60 million in ending contracts. In theory, we could drop slightly under the cap in two years, if we stopped adding pieces, so the financial situation isn't hopeless. However, does it really matter? I do believe we have nearly unlimited funds for a few reasons. One, I keep hearing people tell me that the luxury tax might not be triggered for the next few years. We were spending $120-$140 MM every year with the luxury tax invoked. Without it, we can afford to have a $100 MM payroll or more. Second, it all depends on getting fair value. I don't think any player that Isiah has personally signed has gotten a ridiculous deal. Crawford did ask for 7 years, $70 MM, but only got 7 years, $56 MM. Kurt got a fair extension. The rest has been moving around bad deals, and trying to add pieces that help.

I honestly don't think our odds would be that good by rebuilding and going through free agency. Here's why: Usually teams with minimal payroll have very poor records, so top line free agents don't want to sign there. So that Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, etc... free agent that we all desire, likely would stay with their current contending team, rather than leaving into an unknown rebuilding project. The best we could reasonably expect to do with a poor team into free agency is a guy like Steve Nash. Did you want Nash for $65 MM over 5 years with a $15 MM option for a sixth? I sure as hell didn't. Phoenix overpaid, because that was the only way they could get him. Utah overpaid for Okur & Boozer, because that was the only way free agents would sign there. See the dilemma? You need a winning team to attract free agents, winning teams usually cost money, but if you're spending money, the cap doesn't let you sign free agents? The only exception is Denver, who got good real quick, while still under the cap. That's the rare case, and would've been a big risk trying to hope for that. So, then you're hoping for that superstar draft pick, which is a huge crapshoot.

Anyway, at this point, I'm off the rebuilding kick. Sure, somewhere a year ago, I still feel my rebuilding team of Lampe, Sweetney, Vujanic, F. Williams, some more good picks, to go with a vet core of Van Horn, Dice/Kurt, Deke and Allan Houston, and then a few free agents once we got under the cap, to see how competitive we'd be in 2007, and possibly even make the playoffs once or twice before that. Isiah didn't share that vision and went a different path. At this point, it's done, and Isiah isn't going to stop in the middle and say, 'rebuilding would be better'. So, at this point, you have to keep looking ahead with the current mindset. That's what our GM is doing, and we are getting more athletic, younger and, arguably, considerably more talented. So, let's see what happens. If we win the championship in three years, great, but guess what? We're three years away from finding out, so let's just have some patience.

[Edited by - Solace on 08/18/2004 13:07:01]

Those are all good points. One minor clarification is that the Knicks actually have $76 mil (not $60 mil) in expiring contracts over the next two years. I think I posted an inaccurate number a while ago.
fishmike
USA
8/18/2004  3:44 PM
I think we are a solid playoff team that will compete for our division as of right now.

I think we can be 1-2 years away (with a little luck granted) in contending for a title.

Which high draft pick helped helped Det win their title?
Billups: MLE player
Rip: trade (Stackhouse)
Prince: late first rounder (22 over all?)
Sheed: trade, expiring contracts, cash, draft picks
Ben: trade (Grant Hill)
None of their key players were very high picks or aquired because of cap space.

Look, its not going to be easy but it can be done. The Knicks wont be getting a high draft pick unless they pay for it with a bad contract attached to it or they give up a lot. But they can upgrade their roster, get younger, get players that fit together....

Isiah isnt Jerry West, but by drafting Tmac, Camby and Stoudemire he does have a proven eye for talent. If his used car salemen mentality gets a good player to sign for the MLE when they could make more somewhere else even better.

He obviously has a plan and its only in its early stages. Why not see where it goes? In the meantime the Knicks will make the playoffs and have some exciting athletic players to watch in the meantime. One thing is this team WILL be able to score. That much I can promise.

I just fail to see how being happy about making the playoffs and being happy with the team improving is somehow "settling"
fishmike
USA
8/18/2004  3:54 PM
Everyone here seems to be of the mind that we arne't going to be a contender for 3 more years at least so what would have been the harm in that?
I think that was the mind set when our roster was still built around Eisley, Houston, McDyess, KT and KVH being the starters. With Marbury, Crawford, TT and others in the mix (including Sweetney) I see some pieces that will work together.

Obviosly we need an athletic big.. especially on D, but we also havent seen our current bigs play with that scoring group of wing players for ANY period of time. Maybe we are better than we thought, maybe worse. Either way we are a lot close than we were last summer when Harrington and Spoon were ahead of Sweetney (IR) in the rotation.
The more I see Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy