[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The more I see Marbury
Author Thread
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
8/16/2004  9:08 PM
We expect only the best from steph, because he is suppose to be the go-to-guy, and ny’s building block of the future....everything pivots around steph. the ny standard to bring back one of its favorite sons was to at least challenge or make claim to ny’s domain with superb play in leading knicks to .500 performance season. win win win! ….....no explanations needed

We know this to be true by comparison to one of Brooklyn’s finest players of all time, a man of true royalty by virtue of his name.... Bernard King . At the same age of 26, steph put up similar numbers to King. And both players came with a coaching change, but King was the superior brooklynite helping knicks finish 44-38 compared to steph’s 39-43 lackluster finish. I’m not trying to hate on steph, just by coincidence steph’s entry has ny performing in worst playoff in knicks history. His entry to the Olympics couldn’t stop team USA performing worst defeat ever either……again, I hope this is only a coincidence. Only time will tell
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/16/2004  9:45 PM
Posted by Bobby:

We expect only the best from steph, because he is suppose to be the go-to-guy, and ny’s building block of the future....everything pivots around steph. the ny standard to bring back one of its favorite sons was to at least challenge or make claim to ny’s domain with superb play in leading knicks to .500 performance season. win win win! ….....no explanations needed

We know this to be true by comparison to one of Brooklyn’s finest players of all time, a man of true royalty by virtue of his name.... Bernard King . At the same age of 26, steph put up similar numbers to King. And both players came with a coaching change, but King was the superior brooklynite helping knicks finish 44-38 compared to steph’s 39-43 lackluster finish.
LOL! The Knicks were above .500 with Steph. You're not blaming him for the losses the Knicks had before he joined the Knicks, are you? You Steph critics have even less of a case than I realized
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/16/2004  10:05 PM
You're not blaming him for the losses the Knicks had before he joined the Knicks, are you?

of course not......but the way we finished is suspect
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/16/2004  10:06 PM
THe economy was recovering very well until Steph hit walls street!

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/16/2004  10:07 PM
Everyone is at fault for the team USA loss, but they are not out yet, I believe. With that being said, Steph is doing what being asked of. Distributing the ball and trying to be clutch. He's a different player on this squad. I think the team in general isn't playing enough team ball, and you can't blame Marbury for that. You have to blame the whole team. It's just one on one and fast break dunks. No flow or creativity. It's not fun watching this team. I'd rather watch the Knicks.

Back to Steph; I think he'll help NY just fine. Will he become a good leader? I don't think anyone knows. Can he? Yup. Will he become better? Nobody knows. Can he? Sure. Why such Marbury hate? If you read just Islesfans and Silverfeuls and Simruns post, the scum of the NBA would be Allan Houston and Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford, when in fact, they are one of the best backcourts in the NBA.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/16/2004  10:43 PM
Amen to that, brother!
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
Bonn1997
USA
8/16/2004  11:08 PM
Posted by Bobby:
You're not blaming him for the losses the Knicks had before he joined the Knicks, are you?

It was more of a rhetorical question. By lumping together the games the Knicks played before getting Steph with the games they played after getting him and blaming him for a 39-43 record, you obviously ARE implicitly blaming him for the 14-21 record without him. Otherwise, you would judge him on the above .500 record with him and not include the games before he joined the team
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/16/2004  11:14 PM
pessimists these days....where's the optimism???
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/17/2004  11:41 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bobby:

It was more of a rhetorical question. By lumping together the games the Knicks played before getting Steph with the games they played after getting him and blaming him for a 39-43 record, you obviously ARE implicitly blaming him for the 14-21 record without him. Otherwise, you would judge him on the above .500 record with him and not include the games before he joined the team

Not that I agree that Marbury should have games, that he didn't play in, reflect on him, but what's the difference between doing that and giving Isiah credit for games that Layden's Knicks teams won.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
islesfan
8/17/2004  11:52 AM
Posted by Solace:

This is silly. Isles is being way too critical of Marbury. Marbury isn't a 'superstar' like some make him out to be, but jesus, he's still the best player on the Knicks and is better than most of the Knicks players of the last decade. In the opinion of most, he's also a top 3 point guard. I don't know what else you could possibly want from him? It just seems like you're hating and microanalyzing any negatives, while ignoring all positives. I find myself in somewhat of a middle ground, as I'm not completely in love with Marbury as some, but I certainly try to be fair. Isles, your criticism isn't really fair, especially something like criticizing him for finally having a decent game against the Nets in game 4. That's just silly and argumentative.

Solace, with all due respect, I don't think that I'm unfairly criticizing Marbury at all. How did I criticize him for having a decent game 4? If anything I think that shows the type of player that he can be but wasn't in the previous games. I just put the blame for that on him having a couple of bad performances instead of trying to make excuses.

I've said from day 1 that Marbury is an excellent player but as a PG and team player he leaves a little to be desired. I don't think that's microanalyzing, I think his 9 year career, with 4 different teams (I'm not counting Milwaukee), has proven it.

I'm not sure how I'm hating when I said after the Marbury and Crawford trades that the Knicks have improved and been transformed from a lottery team to a 4-7 seed playoff team that can get out of the 1st rd but most likely not more than that. Being nothing more than a pretender instead of an actual championship contender is what I have a problem with. If that's truly the case I don't know why anybody would be satisfied with mediocrity.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
USA
8/17/2004  12:03 PM
Wow, anyone who has posted with Solace for a long time knows that he never gives Isiah a free pass and if even *he* thinks you're being too critical of Isiah or one of his players, it's a really striking statement. (Fish knows this)
Bonn1997
USA
8/17/2004  12:05 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bobby:

Not that I agree that Marbury should have games, that he didn't play in, reflect on him, but what's the difference between doing that and giving Isiah credit for games that Layden's Knicks teams won.
This has been addressed in other forums and I see no reason to change the topic to it here. If you want, when I get a chance, I'll try to find one of the links to a thread at MSG where you made the same comment and I responded to it and I'll post that link here.
islesfan
8/17/2004  12:09 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I already said he didnt play well. I also said he had no impact. I offered what I thought was an explanation for his poor play, that the Nets made good adjustments and the Knicks couldnt overcome the loss of Houston and TT. But you are unable to accept that as anything besides people just making excuses for Marbury, or not holding him accountable.

I dont see the point in knocking someone's performance when they are in an impossible situation.

In one breath you're saying that he didn't play well and nobody is making excuses for him or holding him unaccountable and then in the next you're talking about how he was in an impossible situation, presumably one in which he had no hope of succeeding. So which is it? It obviously wasn't impossible since the Knicks were in a few of those games until the last few minutes and it wasn't impossible because he did play well in game 4 with the very same players that he had in games 2 and 3.
I hate the term "hater" but it fits. You regurgitate the same anti Isiah crap everywhere you go and say the same thing over and over again.

Isiah? Funny but I thought we were talking about Marbury.
I dont see anyone around here making Knick players out to be something they arent.

You're obviously not looking hard enough then because it happens all the time. Remember people talking up Demarr? Remember people talking up Nazr? Do you see how people are talking up Ariza?
However when guys wear the uniform of your team a funny happens from time to time. Its called rooting for that player. This may be a tough concept to grasp...

No it's not a hard concept to grasp, it's called being homers. That's fine, but if someone wants to be realistic they shouldn't be personally attacked for it.
If it bothers you so try not watching, maybe you just need a break from hoops, or maybe you just need to get that hooker Bip recommended.

Like I said.
islesfan
8/17/2004  12:14 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Wow, anyone who has posted with Solace for a long time knows that he never gives Isiah a free pass and if even *he* thinks you're being too critical of Isiah or one of his players, it's a really striking statement. (Fish knows this)

Oh, well if Fish knows this... Let me guess, you play the Aide and he plays the G... nevermind.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/17/2004  12:46 PM
i wouldnt evaluate marbury at the olympics because this type of game is not suited for his style of play. here is an explanation PGs like Mike Bibbiy and John Stockton are fluid team players. They are in constant motion[by the way thats why i like rip for the olympics his style of play is made for it] marbury and iversen pound the ball into the ground to much because they have been the center pieces of their respective nBA teams. Stockton and Bibby -while being highly talented are mere pieces that fit into solid team play. You see glimpses of Marbury with team play--the best example is Phoenix and SA playoffs-- but for the most part--even dating back to GT--Marbury is THE GUY. Its hard to get two guys like iversen and marbury on a team and expect cohesion.

I still believe that if the USA team changes course and focuses on POWER--using the 4 bigs amare boozer emeka and duncan in two set rotations i.e 2 of the 4 are ALWAYS on the court--use a BIG 2G and sit either marbury or iversen and substitute Marion for Jefferson

any way you look at it, we WILL not have a great outside shooting team. The way we win actually is how the Knicks won in the 90s power it inside EVERY time in the halfcourt and aggresively defend+rebound. We can run opportunistically, but we also ned to run to get back on the D first and foremost.

where I would go

C-Duncan
PF-Okafor
SF Marion
SG Anthony
PG Marbury

C Amare
PF Boozer
SF Odom
SG James
PG Iversen

jefferson
wade
RIP Crushalot😞
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/17/2004  12:48 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Bobby:

Well, if you want to get technical (not that I agree with this argument), the Knicks were under .500 with Steph if you include the 4 game playoff sweep.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/17/2004  12:57 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Oh, well if Fish knows this... Let me guess, you play the Aide and he plays the G... nevermind.

I'm not entirely sure what you're implyi... oh wait, I think I get it.

Anyway, Isles, I'm not trying to get personal with you and certainly I enjoy posting with you. I've just never seen you make a positive statement when it comes to the current Knicks, in particular Marbury, Isiah and Tim Thomas. You said earlier in this thread or another one that you'd take Arroyo over Marbury. You were criticizing Marbury for his poor playoff play and then brought up why if he could have one decent game, why couldn't he play decent in the others, as if it would've been better if he was consistently poor. That was what I was pointing out before. Maybe I misunderstood your implication, but that's what it sounded like. Anyway...

Getting down it, what do you really want from the Knicks? Obviously, you want a championship, obviously, it's not the way you would've built, and goes completely opposite to your mentality for how to build a team. That aside, if you were going to build up and take the 'infinite funds' approach, is this really that bad? In all honesty, teams rarely build championship teams through picking up someone via free agency because they were under the cap (there's always a few exceptions). How many times were we burned by free agents, even when we did have cap room? What's the point? So, build up by collecting pieces, assume infinite funds, unless your owner tells you otherwise, and use your financial situation to help you build up a team. Are you against the concept because you feel it's unfair to the league or because it's just not how you would've done it? As for Marbury, look, I'm not in love with the guy either. IMHO, he's not *really* a 'franchise' player, but he's still pretty damn good. When he's on, he's on. We need more pieces, and I think it all falls into place once we solidify our frontcourt. If a Marbury is a piece of the puzzle that leads us to the finals or maybe even a championship in three years, is that so bad?

[Edited by - Solace on 08/17/2004 12:58:55]
islesfan
8/17/2004  1:30 PM
Solace, nothing personal taken at all. (Even Fish knows this) I wasn't saying that it would've been better if Marbury's play had been consistently poor, I was saying that it would make the excuses given for his poor play in games 1, 2 and 3 a little more plausible. My point is that if he plays poorly then just say that he played poorly instead of always trying to make excuses as to why. Why is that so awful? If he played well under those same conditions he would be lauded for doing so, so why is it unreasonable to criticize him when he doesn't? Everything can't be a "no lose" situation where zero criticism is allowed.

The Arroyo over Marbury comment was pretty much tongue in cheek. Although I do wish our PG was a little more team oriented and better at getting his teammates involved instead of trying to do everything himself. Better defense would also be nice, but I digress. I'm not going to insult you and anybody else and say that I've been positive about most things about how the Knicks are "retooling" but I do believe that I have been somewhat positive as I tried to show in my previous post.

For me though, it all comes down to becoming legitimate championship contenders and you're right, this isn't a way that I can see it getting done. You talk about "infinite funds" but there's no such thing. Sure Dolan has the money and is willing to spend it but every big trade we make we've taken 4-8 times what we gave up in huge contracts. That can't keep happening forever and it's not like the people we've gotten are sure things that fit together flawlessly. By limiting ourselves to "expiring contracts" as a way to adding players we're setting ourselves up for a decade of mediocrity where we can only attract players whose current teams no longer want.

Like I've said before, if Marbury is a piece of the puzzle that leads us to the finals or maybe even a championship in 3 years then I'll be more than happy to admit how wrong I was and I'll sit here all day long eating crow and washing it down with Isiah's Kool-Aid.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  1:41 PM
i don't know why you don't remember, but i was making plenty of critical posts towards Stephon when he had some of his poor performances last year & in the playoffs...so i don't think it's a case where everyone gives him a pass if he plays poorly at all...i call it like i see it...if Marbury lays an egg in a game, i call him out for it...if Isiah makes a good signing or trade, i praise him for it, but i also have no problem criticizing him if he makes a move that i feel is in the worst interests of this franchise...i know to you, you are doing the same...it's just differing ideologies...until i see where Isiah is leading this team, i am giving him the benefit of the doubt...i don't think it's fair to think ANYONE could turn things around 180 degrees after not even a full season & having inherited the mess that Scott Layden left behind...not even Jerry West could have done a significantly better job imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/17/2004  2:03 PM
Islesfan your the homer king... you really are. At times its entertaining.

You know what? Your right. I'm a homer, the Knicks suck, Isiah will ruin everything, Marbury isnt any good.

Now if you can feel better about things why dont you run along back to MSG... I'm sure there are more homers to convert over there. Considering your the only one thats every being "realistic" in a debate and everyone else you debate with is just drinking kool-aid you have a lot of work to do over there.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
The more I see Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy