Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/16/2004  11:33 AM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by martin:

did't we just see Detroit win the Championship?

You can't always say that you need a particular type of position player to win a championship, but the right mix of players COULD lead you down that path.

Have lots of defensive players ala Detroit? Scoring PG works just fine.

Have Shaq and Kobe on your team? A good-shooting deep threat of a PG works just fine.

It's the chemistry that's more important than the exact role.

Yes Chemistry is very important, but all signs are starting to show that even with an all star team Marbury is unable to create chemistry. Now that the Knicks are getting better players will Marbury be able to change his game to accomodate his teammates. I personally am having doubts about Marbury's ability to change his game to the teams need.

well, there's 2 things here.

One, team chemistry evolves or grows with familiarity. One player just doesn't create it. The USA team was plain old put together incorrectly. If Marb and AI had Redd, Houston, and whoever sitting on the outside after they broke their man down, you would see a different outcome and be talking about how great those two are.

Second, Isiah is building a team around Marbury, not the other way around. Athletic guys who can run. Pick and roll guys who can feed off of Marbury. Marbury will have to work with the team around him with the Knicks to bring out the best in them, but it IS a tow-way street.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/16/2004  11:35 AM
Posted by MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK:

Marbury is the best player who ever came to the knicks, besides Starks and Ewing! And NOW you people want to dump him!! Crazy A$$ !@#$%@@!

wow, seems as if you weren't around in the 70s.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #737
USA
8/16/2004  11:35 AM
True dat I agree totally
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
8/16/2004  11:36 AM
Lol martin, I am just a teenager.
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/16/2004  11:49 AM
Posted by martin:

One, team chemistry evolves or grows with familiarity. One player just doesn't create it. The USA team was plain old put together incorrectly. If Marb and AI had Redd, Houston, and whoever sitting on the outside after they broke their man down, you would see a different outcome and be talking about how great those two are.

that's a very good point. importance of shooters for slashers and post players is sooo underrated.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/16/2004  12:03 PM
Is there any way that we could get Utah to trade us Arroyo for Marbury? That would be pretty sweet to get a PG who knows how to get his teammates involved, play defense and still be able to score when he has to.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/16/2004  12:10 PM
Marion is the worst pick for this team. Undersized athletic SF whom can't shoot. Can jump, but not shoot!

Marbury and Iverson get passes on this one. Its not their doing.

Its all wrong this team, all wrong.

Any trade thoughts based on this is silly.
raven
Canada
8/16/2004  12:11 PM
Is there any way that we could get another board to trade us another poster for islesfan ? That would be pretty sweet to get a poster who knows how to get his fellos posters happy, post positive thinkings and still be able to make some valid critics when he has to do.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/16/2004  12:11 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by martin:

did't we just see Detroit win the Championship?

You can't always say that you need a particular type of position player to win a championship, but the right mix of players COULD lead you down that path.

Have lots of defensive players ala Detroit? Scoring PG works just fine.

Have Shaq and Kobe on your team? A good-shooting deep threat of a PG works just fine.

It's the chemistry that's more important than the exact role.

Yes Chemistry is very important, but all signs are starting to show that even with an all star team Marbury is unable to create chemistry. Now that the Knicks are getting better players will Marbury be able to change his game to accomodate his teammates. I personally am having doubts about Marbury's ability to change his game to the teams need.

Second, Isiah is building a team around Marbury, not the other way around. Athletic guys who can run. Pick and roll guys who can feed off of Marbury. Marbury will have to work with the team around him with the Knicks to bring out the best in them, but it IS a tow-way street.

It's ridiculous to criticize any of the players involved in this Team USA debacle. Stu Jackson and friends didn't build a team. They just looked around for stars who wouldn't turn them down. Where are the shooters? Take RJ, Matrix, Boozer and Lebron off the team and give me Keith Van Horn (yes, I'm serious), Stephen Jackson, Brent Barry and Tim Thomas (of Corey Maggette) and this team would be FINE.

And to criticize Marbury for trying to be unselfish on a team full of selfish jerks is patently idiotic. MArbs is doing what Larry Brown is asking, the system is flawed and the team is flawed. No jumpshooting big men, which everyone knew we needed. What else is there to question? They went 3-24 from 3pfg! If they had made 7 more shots (10-24), they would've scored 94 points and Puerto Rico would've had seven less fast breaks. The team iis HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY flawed. And Marbury isn't the flaw. What do you want him to do? Dunk like Vince? You can't go one on one here. You need someone like Marbury to find someone like KVH open in the corner.

Okay, I've said my piece.
¿ △ ?
raven
Canada
8/16/2004  12:12 PM
Posted by Nalod:

alright, so there's some light in the tunnel.
islesfan
8/16/2004  12:14 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Marion is the worst pick for this team. Undersized athletic SF whom can't shoot. Can jump, but not shoot!

Marbury and Iverson get passes on this one. Its not their doing.

Its all wrong this team, all wrong.

Marion sat on the bench most of the game. Marbury and Iverson were the ones who couldn't stop Arroyo and couldn't get the offense going. It's ridiculous to give them free passes. They're just as culpable as anyone else on that team if not moreso.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/16/2004  12:19 PM
Ok. I'll throw in my two cents. I don't think you can trade Marbury unless you can seriously do better. Here's some criteria I'd like to put in. I'll say that you need to satisfy most of these criteria in order for trading away Marbury to make sense.

1) You receive a star in return.
2) The player isn't injury prone.
3) The player is a center or tall power forward.
4) The player is as talented or more talented than Marbury.
5) The player would be as fan friendly or nearly as fan friendly as Marbury.
6) The move adds more balance to our team and ultimately gives us a better chance to win for now and for the future.
7) The guy is young (27 or under) and possibly even still has some upside.

I'm sure you could add more criteria on your own. IMHO, Vince Carter doesn't meet a lot of these criteria that I mentioned (admittedly, he meets a few). But, you don't trade Marbury in what some would say is an 'even trade'.

If we traded Marbury in a deal to get back Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Yao, Gasol, Dirk, Kobe, B. Wallace, J. O'Neal (even though I'm not a big fan), possibly T-Mac (only if proven to have fully recovered from his injury), or, finally, LeBron. I think this is a pretty inclusive list. Anyone not on this list, I don't see as more valuable to this team than Marbury, especially considering Crawford is not a true PG.
MS
Member: #724
8/16/2004  12:22 PM
Starbury.....yea he is proven to be a star, with a ton of heart, i don't care who you are you don't score two points on Puerto Rico, they have one NBA player two at most, Isiah said he was a top 10 talent, then step up.

This is why the NBA sucks, because players just don't care. Look what Utah did last year, look what the Magic did in Doc Rivers first year. They nearly finished at 500 on sheer will and determination....Marbury like many other guys doesn't seem to care...Its a disgrace to see these NBA players pass on the oppurtunity and honor to be in the Olympics...We are actually talking about paying these losers who want money to play you have to be joking. There is no way the this team should lose i don't care how structially flawed, good players, especially Starbury and the King should eat these kids for breakfast. Sure setbacks are expected because they haven't played together but this is a joke. Step up, play some defense, and show some heart. You just go blown off the court

He better not bring this game back to the garden, because at 13 million a year, he should be giving himself up every night. I hope he does, because thats what the fans deserve and he owes it to himself to be the player he thinks he is.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/16/2004  12:28 PM
Posted by MS:

Starbury.....yea he is proven to be a star, with a ton of heart, i don't care who you are you don't score two points on Puerto Rico, they have one NBA player two at most, Isiah said he was a top 10 talent, then step up.

This is why the NBA sucks, because players just don't care. Look what Utah did last year, look what the Magic did in Doc Rivers first year. They nearly finished at 500 on sheer will and determination....Marbury like many other guys doesn't seem to care...Its a disgrace to see these NBA players pass on the oppurtunity and honor to be in the Olympics...We are actually talking about paying these losers who want money to play you have to be joking. There is no way the this team should lose i don't care how structially flawed, good players, especially Starbury and the King should eat these kids for breakfast. Sure setbacks are expected because they haven't played together but this is a joke. Step up, play some defense, and show some heart. You just go blown off the court

He better not bring this game back to the garden, because at 13 million a year, he should be giving himself up every night. I hope he does, because thats what the fans deserve and he owes it to himself to be the player he thinks he is.

Oh please. Give me a break. To pin this on Marbury is ridiculous. Yes, the team looks lost. could that be because they've only played together for two weeks before this thing started? Could it be because they have no outside shooters at all? Could it have something to do with the fact that other countries have a system, team and coach that have been in place for YEARS?

If you put Stephen Jackson and Keith Van Horn and Michael Redd on this team and took off Matrix, RJ and Lebron, they'd be fine. The problem is adding too many one on one players and not enough shooters. They could add more defense too, but I think the main problem is lack of outside shooting. You can't blame the players here, you have to blame the system: the leadership of USA Basketball (the specific team, not the whole country) is severely flawed. They are taking a team over that's designed to market stars. Hence Lebron, the single most overrated player in the league being asked to come to a team where he has no role at all. Hence Matrix over someone who would help like Van Horn.

¿ △ ?
islesfan
8/16/2004  12:43 PM
Marbury is just a statistics hog. He doesn't do the things necessary to win games, just accumulate stats. It's nothing new though, he's always been a me-first type of player for teams that never seem to meet or God forbid, exceed expectations. But he always has his enablers who never find fault with him.

In the playoffs we're told he didn't have enough talent, despite being told about the Knicks great depth and given the fact that he was terrible in the 2nd halves when the games were still being decided.

In the Olympics it's his teammates who aren't doing their part and Marbury deserves a free pass despite the fact that he was one of the PG's who couldn't stop Arroyo and couldn't get the offense to click. 22 minutes with 1 assist and you want him to get a free pass?

If Marbury wants to play the part of "Franchise Player" then everybody better accept the fact that he's going to take the heat when things go wrong and not his "supporting cast". It's interesting how as our supposed best player, Marbury never gets any blame only credit but Patrick Ewing always took the blame.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/16/2004  12:58 PM
Posted by raven:

Is there any way that we could get another board to trade us another poster for islesfan ? That would be pretty sweet to get a poster who knows how to get his fellos posters happy, post positive thinkings and still be able to make some valid critics when he has to do.
No, we're not that lucky. We went through months of this at MSG. Just wait until the season starts and the hatorade will get even more out of control
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/16/2004  1:17 PM
Posted by islesfan:

It's interesting how as our supposed best player, Marbury never gets any blame only credit but Patrick Ewing always took the blame.

is 35 games enough of a body of work to blame anybody? and that's all we can go on, 35 games AS A KNICK. forget about him before he got here b/c each situation is different - just ask the ENTIRE detroit team. 35 games as a knick and he should get blamed, amazing. and tell me exactly, blamed for what? a 39 win season? a sweep in the first round? what exactly?

this entire post is EXHIBIT A on why you CAN NOT tear down and rebuild in new york.
islesfan
8/16/2004  1:35 PM
Give me a break with the 35 games thing. People on these boards didn't want to hear any criticism towards Marbury for individual game performances in the playoffs. All we heard from the enablers was that he didn't have a full supporting cast as if that absolved him for his pathetic 2nd half performances in a couple of very winnable games.

Marbury is a big boy, if he deserves some criticism I'm sure he can take it.

Of course you can tear down and rebuild in NY. That's complete crap to suggest otherwise. It's all about expectations. If we saw them go in that direction we would suck it up and appreciate the development of young players and look forward to making big time splashes in the free agent market. But if you're going to say that you're going to try to be competitive right now, then we're going to expect more and react accordingly.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/16/2004  1:49 PM
Islesfan, if we traded Marbury for Garnett, you would be unhappy.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/16/2004  1:52 PM
dude, in the middle of all your constant bashing and negative criticisms, you sometimes make valid points but the problem is that you have NEVER given isiah, marbury, or anybody else a chance to prove your reservations wrong. from the Very beginning, you've been bashing everything. has isiah made all the right moves? too early to tell. is marbury the franchise player we need? too early to tell but you've already come to the conclusion that they're not. that's where you need to accept some criticism and give us a break.
The more I see Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy