Kemet
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6148

3/26/2017  9:52 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Kemet wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I'm not sure how this team will formulate-- but Willy keeps his game simple and is effective at it

Maybe it's KP who might need the Kevin Mchale type 6 th man role for a couple of years. We will need some change next year-- both of these guys are part of the future-- but chemistry needs work and everyone has to buy in on that

I think KP is the star of the two. But in regards to line ups KP might be better suited coming off the bench. The goal is team success. The line up needs balance. If Melo is back ( up to him) a frontline of KP, Willy and Melo will get crushed on defense. Also, KP's foul issues and rebounding issues might be less of an issue coming off the bench. It isn't an outrageous suggestion if you want team success.

KP should NOT come off the bench. Let the young man play and take his bumps and bruises. He's gotta learn how to manage his minutes as a starter.

I think you're projecting as if KP and Willy will continue to play as they do now and that's probably not going to be the case. They will get stronger and more knowledgeable about the game. There's likely to be no reason to bring KP off the bench. I almost laugh every time someone says this. PATIENCE...

Just look at how Wall and Beal play now compared to how they started. Or DeRozan. Players need time to mature and they need to play thru it.

If the Knicks wanna win next season then KP should come off the bench .. KP has not develop enough moves to be a starter or a 30 minute player in the NBA. Putting KP in the starter lineup in his rookie season were not the Knicks head-coach (Fisher) move, the move came from upstairs management office (Phil Jackson) to prove the 7.3 skinny kid from overseas were not another high draft pick BUST, after all the Boos KP receive on draft night in MSG when the Knicks selected him with the 4th pick.
Kyle O'Quinn prove consistently throughout the start of the 2015-16 season, Quinn should have been the PF alongside center Lopez in the Knicks starter frontcourt lineup.
It was obvious to see in the 2016-17 Knicks preseason games rookie Willie G had more skill-setting experience down-low in the paint than what KP showed throughout his rookie season.

Couldn't be more inaccurate. KP started as a rookie because he was our 2nd best player. Nothing political about that move whatsoever. No team in the nba would ever bring KP off the bench. It's not even plausible. He will be developed as a go-to player, like any team would do. And you need to have patience and let him figure it out, even though you're a knicks fan and I know that's difficult.

More than half the teams in the league would have brang KP off the bench the past two seasons .. what u mean is no LOTTERY team would have KP coming off the bench. KP rookie season were good highlight hype .. as for KP all-around performance and B.Ball IQ its very low if your team are playing to win games.
KP has a very low n poor performance in screening boxing-out pick n roll passing the ball, running back on defense, and throwing a lob-pass after grabbing a defensive-rebound

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/26/2017  10:07 AM
Kemet wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Kemet wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:I'm not sure how this team will formulate-- but Willy keeps his game simple and is effective at it

Maybe it's KP who might need the Kevin Mchale type 6 th man role for a couple of years. We will need some change next year-- both of these guys are part of the future-- but chemistry needs work and everyone has to buy in on that

I think KP is the star of the two. But in regards to line ups KP might be better suited coming off the bench. The goal is team success. The line up needs balance. If Melo is back ( up to him) a frontline of KP, Willy and Melo will get crushed on defense. Also, KP's foul issues and rebounding issues might be less of an issue coming off the bench. It isn't an outrageous suggestion if you want team success.

KP should NOT come off the bench. Let the young man play and take his bumps and bruises. He's gotta learn how to manage his minutes as a starter.

I think you're projecting as if KP and Willy will continue to play as they do now and that's probably not going to be the case. They will get stronger and more knowledgeable about the game. There's likely to be no reason to bring KP off the bench. I almost laugh every time someone says this. PATIENCE...

Just look at how Wall and Beal play now compared to how they started. Or DeRozan. Players need time to mature and they need to play thru it.

If the Knicks wanna win next season then KP should come off the bench .. KP has not develop enough moves to be a starter or a 30 minute player in the NBA. Putting KP in the starter lineup in his rookie season were not the Knicks head-coach (Fisher) move, the move came from upstairs management office (Phil Jackson) to prove the 7.3 skinny kid from overseas were not another high draft pick BUST, after all the Boos KP receive on draft night in MSG when the Knicks selected him with the 4th pick.
Kyle O'Quinn prove consistently throughout the start of the 2015-16 season, Quinn should have been the PF alongside center Lopez in the Knicks starter frontcourt lineup.
It was obvious to see in the 2016-17 Knicks preseason games rookie Willie G had more skill-setting experience down-low in the paint than what KP showed throughout his rookie season.

Couldn't be more inaccurate. KP started as a rookie because he was our 2nd best player. Nothing political about that move whatsoever. No team in the nba would ever bring KP off the bench. It's not even plausible. He will be developed as a go-to player, like any team would do. And you need to have patience and let him figure it out, even though you're a knicks fan and I know that's difficult.

More than half the teams in the league would have brang KP off the bench the past two seasons .. what u mean is no LOTTERY team would have KP coming off the bench. KP rookie season were good highlight hype .. as for KP all-around performance and B.Ball IQ its very low if your team are playing to win games.
KP has a very low n poor performance in screening boxing-out pick n roll passing the ball, running back on defense, and throwing a lob-pass after grabbing a defensive-rebound

He would be the starting center for both golden state and Cleveland. Those are the 2 best teams in the league. They would kill to have him in their starting lineups.

Kemet

3/26/2017  10:24 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Borderline trolling.

Willy is a fabntastic scorer in the paint. He takes high percentage shots and is good at rolling. Almost all his shots are high percentage close to the basket. He gets set up very well. That's his game, true Center game.

KP is a shooting guard/wing, he operates on the perimeter. Comes off curls, moes off the ball to spot up, posts up on smallers on switches, drives, drives and kicks.

Completely different players who completely differet things.

Willy is 22, and closer to maximizing his skill while KP is 21 and more raw. KP is still learning how to use his body, what is a good shot and what is a bad shot. There's much more depth to KP's game. On contrast, there's a great simplicity about Willy's game.

KP is becoming an isolation scorer now, he's trying to evolve into a creative scorer in 1 on 1 situatins. That is the lowest percentage type of scoring. Then he struggles with fouls. Yesterday was a disasterous games. But he still shows great skill and is the one playing the tougher role. He's stepping in the Melo role right now. Willy's job is the paint and close to the basket.

KP is 7.3 height .. 7.3 height belong in the middle not on the perimeter acting like a guard/wing.
When u are a 7 footer u have to play TEAM-BALL for team success, not isolation ball like the Kings Cousin.

I recall back in the daze when Dirk were a fragile chump his first 5 years in the league doing the same BS KP is doing now .. Dirk acted like a little girl every time he had to play against the Lakers Shaq, Blazers Rasheed, Spurs Duncan, Wolves KG, Kings Webber, Jazz Malone, Suns Amare, and Nuggets Camby.

Kemet

3/26/2017  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  10:34 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Kemet wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He would be the starting center for both golden state and Cleveland. Those are the 2 best teams in the league. They would kill to have him in their starting lineups.

There's no way KP would have took Bogut or Green starter spot nor would KP had took Mozgov or Thompson starter spots .. When did KP learn how to play center LOL?
Or did u forget Lebron didn't let the NO-Defense Love and the No-Defense Kyrie Irving play in the Cavs playoff his first season back to the Cavs. KP is to raw with a very low b.ball IQ !!!

MS
Member: #724
3/26/2017  10:44 AM
Young players need leaders, systems and an actual plan to help them succeed.

3 coaches, the on again off again triangle, 2 complete roster turnovers, no point, limited shooting and two guys that hold the ball for considerable time.

KP needs the ball in the right spots, Jesus the kid is 21, the same applies for Willy. All these guys need is some practice this offseason on their post games and defense and they will both be elite bigs in the league for a long time.

We have perimeter break downs, constant switching, which is not easy for bigs.

Let them learn and pray we continue to lose. Orlando and Philly are right there and we need to land a top 4 pick.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/26/2017  11:27 PM

LOL this guy.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/26/2017  11:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/26/2017  11:31 PM
Havent seen a mid or long range game from Willy, or consistent defense, so I would disagree. Willy is more polished around the rim though, thats something KP absolutely has to work on during the summer.

Porzingis has to make the league understand that whoever is in the paint with him is in for a long night. Not the case right now.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/26/2017  11:44 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/26/2017  11:49 PM
It's probably not going to happen but Knicks should be getting a feel for Willy's trade value right now.

Assuming KP is a future center -- Outside of our potential draft pick we have virtually nothing at the 1-4.

We could use a great young guard and a young wing SF.

My post assumes Melo is gone this summer.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/27/2017  12:04 AM
LivingLegend wrote:It's probably not going to happen but Knicks should be getting a feel for Willy's trade value right now.

Assuming KP is a future center -- Outside of our potential draft pick we have virtually nothing at the 1-4.

MEH! I've got two names for you... Bynum and Gasol!!! KP and Willy have good chemistry but they still need so much more physical and skills development. The Triangle is an offense that can accommodate two bigs with ease. They just need to keep developing these young men. The offseason program for them needs to be stepped up. This is just the beginning stages of their development.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/27/2017  6:56 AM
LivingLegend wrote:It's probably not going to happen but Knicks should be getting a feel for Willy's trade value right now.

Its a good idea if we get a nice return, you can't play 2 lumbering bigs upfront anymore

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/27/2017  7:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/27/2017  7:30 AM
nixluva wrote:

MEH! I've got two names for you... Bynum and Gasol!!! KP and Willy have good chemistry but they still need so much more physical and skills development. The Triangle is an offense that can accommodate two bigs with ease. They just need to keep developing these young men. The offseason program for them needs to be stepped up. This is just the beginning stages of their development.

Bynum wasn't an important part of that team. It was Lamar Odom. I think their big 3 was Kobe, Gasol and Odom.
Looking at basketball reference, Bynum didn't play much in the playoff runs.

However the biggest thing is even if Bynum did play an important role, from the few times I saw him play he was a fantastic low post defensive presence, blocking shots at will. Willy is a great rebounder but his defense will never be about stopping guys in the lane. I think what has to happen is KP become a real 4. which is to be able to go out and defend players on the perimeter and be better at rotating to shooters.

I think KP has the talent to be a real 4, on D. I think it's about focus. He needs to change habits and work on it. I doubt he has worked on his defense in the summer. I think he is very focused on his offense. If he works on his defense, there is no reason KP can not become a defensive 4. Why? Look at his ability to move and athleticism and long arms. He has shown the flashes. He went straight with Kawahi Leonard on a drive from the perimeter and swatted his attempt at the lane. He has the physical tools to be a good defender at 4.

The other thing is if we look at Memphis for reference, because they did well on defense with Gasol and Randolph, they had great defenders at 3, 2 and 1. Tony Allen. Courtney Lee for a while. Conley. These guys defend. They didn't start poor defenders at the perimeter. Melo is easily blown by at 3. Rose is always beaten on defense at 1. Courtney is no longer in his prime. We need better defenders at the perimeter such that Willy/KP are not always out of position to help.

foosballnick
Member: #3148

3/27/2017  7:42 AM
Now is forever is the state of mind for many Knicks fans.
nyknickzingis

3/27/2017  8:01 AM
foosballnick wrote:Now is forever is the state of mind for many Knicks fans.

It's unreal, instead of appreciating that Phil got two great rookies, both with completely different games who already played together before the NBA, to be with this franchise for the next 8, 10 years, as corner stone pieces. Instead of being excited atleast there's something really good to work with, and we can pair them with a elite young guard with the 2017 lottery pick, some fans feel the need to pit Willy vs KP to show their agenda. It's become disgusting to read this stuff.

Willy makes less than 2 M a year. KP makes a few M less than the MLE. These guys are not paid to, nor should be asked to be carrying the team to the playoffs or be in their peak or in their prime. Only on a Knicks board do I see fans do this. I visit other boards and most fans have a great appreciation for young players like that. Instead of looking at how bad Noah, Rose and even Melo have been for a combined 18+21+25M (64M combined) they focus on these young players at 21/22 not playing enough defense, smart offense etc. I mean why hold these players to a star level? How about hold the players who are paid like stars, who are supposed to be the the defensive cog in the middle (Noah) the superstar Jordan/Kobe/Lebron (Melo) or the star point (Rose) to their standards? I see the main problems with this team being that our coaching staff was confused as to how to play this year and that our top 3 "star" or money players underperformed in their roles. Willy and KP are huge assets to this team as both talent and trade assets. We would be crazy to be upset we have them or hold them to ridiculous standards this early in their careers.

Lets see where KP is at 23, two years from now. How Willy is at 24, both having 3-4 years of the NBA experience under their belt. That's usually when young players become more consistent, show better defense and begin to show star impact, if they have it in them.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2017  8:10 AM
For now, KP and willy can play both positions and do so as needed. They also present a problem for opponents. Injury and foul trouble also happen. Im ok starting both, or Willy is first off the bench.

and yes, if anyone blows us away with a trade for Willy, it should be entertained at the very least.

nyknickzingis

3/27/2017  9:53 PM
After one of his worst games of the season, KP bounces back with one of his best, and maybe one of his best defensive games at 4. Totally shut down Tobias Harris many times in this game and was very active.

Willy is the lesser talent, but more consistent at what he's good at. Willy's also got a defensive ceiling limitation. I love Willy and think he'll be a longterm player for the Knicks just like KP. However KP's ceiling on defense is much higher but he has to be active, smart and the team has to be energetic on D.

I look forward to these two players the next few years. Melo and Rose should have led the team with the extra pass mentality all season. I can't believe how true Jeff's words were. He said before the Clipper game that good teams don't settle for good or decent shots, they move the ball an extra time or two and get a great shot. This Knicks team didn't do that. Whenever they did, they looked a top 4 team in the Easy, defensive struggles and all.

Back to KP/Willy. I think these two can start together. However KP will need to play defense like he did tonight on a consistent basis. Active, using his long arms to deflect passes and to challenge shots. Moving his feet quickly. If KP really loves Willy as much as it seems they do (They are best buds off the court) KP needs to focus on footwork on defense all summer. Watch tape of his mistakes on defense. Willy needs to learn how to take charges more often against drivers.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/27/2017  11:07 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

Its a good idea if we get a nice return, you can't play 2 lumbering bigs upfront anymore

this conversation is 4-5 years premature
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/27/2017  11:38 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Bynum wasn't an important part of that team. It was Lamar Odom. I think their big 3 was Kobe, Gasol and Odom.
Looking at basketball reference, Bynum didn't play much in the playoff runs.

However the biggest thing is even if Bynum did play an important role, from the few times I saw him play he was a fantastic low post defensive presence, blocking shots at will. Willy is a great rebounder but his defense will never be about stopping guys in the lane. I think what has to happen is KP become a real 4. which is to be able to go out and defend players on the perimeter and be better at rotating to shooters.

I think KP has the talent to be a real 4, on D. I think it's about focus. He needs to change habits and work on it. I doubt he has worked on his defense in the summer. I think he is very focused on his offense. If he works on his defense, there is no reason KP can not become a defensive 4. Why? Look at his ability to move and athleticism and long arms. He has shown the flashes. He went straight with Kawahi Leonard on a drive from the perimeter and swatted his attempt at the lane. He has the physical tools to be a good defender at 4.

The other thing is if we look at Memphis for reference, because they did well on defense with Gasol and Randolph, they had great defenders at 3, 2 and 1. Tony Allen. Courtney Lee for a while. Conley. These guys defend. They didn't start poor defenders at the perimeter. Melo is easily blown by at 3. Rose is always beaten on defense at 1. Courtney is no longer in his prime. We need better defenders at the perimeter such that Willy/KP are not always out of position to help.

What I mean is that they can have great chemistry as bigs like Bynum and Gasol displayed. The longer that KP and Willy play together the Big to Big game should develop into a consistent weapon.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/28/2017  1:31 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:After one of his worst games of the season, KP bounces back with one of his best, and maybe one of his best defensive games at 4. Totally shut down Tobias Harris many times in this game and was very active.

Willy is the lesser talent, but more consistent at what he's good at. Willy's also got a defensive ceiling limitation. I love Willy and think he'll be a longterm player for the Knicks just like KP. However KP's ceiling on defense is much higher but he has to be active, smart and the team has to be energetic on D.

I look forward to these two players the next few years. Melo and Rose should have led the team with the extra pass mentality all season. I can't believe how true Jeff's words were. He said before the Clipper game that good teams don't settle for good or decent shots, they move the ball an extra time or two and get a great shot. This Knicks team didn't do that. Whenever they did, they looked a top 4 team in the Easy, defensive struggles and all.

Back to KP/Willy. I think these two can start together. However KP will need to play defense like he did tonight on a consistent basis. Active, using his long arms to deflect passes and to challenge shots. Moving his feet quickly. If KP really loves Willy as much as it seems they do (They are best buds off the court) KP needs to focus on footwork on defense all summer. Watch tape of his mistakes on defense. Willy needs to learn how to take charges more often against drivers.

He shutdown tobias at the rim a few times but for the most part he was guarding Morris and Leur.

nyknickzingis

3/28/2017  7:38 AM
Interesting comment from Horny that they may switch Willy to defending 4's more next year and do the switching and allow KP to stay back closer to the rim and play 5. They feel Willy has the quicker feet.
Willy G might be better than KP

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy