[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo leads the team in deflections and is 9th in NBA in three point shot contests
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  12:05 PM
Q: Who leads the Knicks in deflections?

A: Carmelo Anthony, with 125. FYI, that’s more than current DPOY candidate Rudy Gobert and former DPOY Marc Gasol. So really, the question isn’t “Carmelo: great defender?” but “Carmelo: Greatest Defender?”

Q: The Knicks have a player in the top-10 for contesting two-point shots and another in the top-10 contesting three-point shots. Who are they?

A: Kristaps (6th) and Melo (9th).

source: http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2017/3/24/15044860/knicks-stats-quiz-how-well-do-you-know-the-2016-17-knicks

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  12:08 PM
Can we stop this fiction that Melo is a terrible defender? He's certainly average... but plenty of teams win with average defenders in their lineup. Check out James Harden, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

The issues this season have been more about:

1) Playing the big lineup too much. Melo is a 4. Melo is very similar to Paul Millsap. Does Atlanta play Millsap at the 3? No. No they do not. Melo is a 4. Playing him at the 3 destroys the defense.

2) Coach switching the offense and defensive schemes too much. I won't say the "T" word, but you already know deep down it's the "T" word.

¿ △ ?
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/25/2017  12:10 PM
crzymdups wrote:Can we stop this fiction that Melo is a terrible defender? He's certainly average... but plenty of teams win with average defenders in their lineup. Check out James Harden, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

1) Playing the big lineup too much. Melo is a 4. Melo is very similar to Paul Millsap. Does Atlanta play Millsap at the 3? No. No they do not. Melo is a 4. Playing him at the 3 destroys the defense.

2) Coach switching the offense and defensive schemes too much. I won't say the "T" word, but you already know deep down it's the "T" word.

he isnt terrible BUT he certainly doesnt show enough effort on the defensive end. Im not a George Karl fan but he wasnt wrong about that
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/25/2017  12:11 PM
Equating total deflections with great defense is not even kindergarten level logic. That said, I would not have expected Melo to have been that high on this list and that warrants a little credit.
Regarding the 2nd Q and A, it is strange that Melo is contesting shots but his man is still hitting shots at a slightly above league average rate. Either it's random bad luck or Melo is contesting the shots ineffectively (or both).
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/25/2017  12:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  12:16 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Equating total deflections with great defense is not even kindergarten level logic. That said, I would not have expected Melo to have been that high on this list and that warrants a little credit.
Regarding the 2nd Q and A, it is strange that Melo is contesting shots but his man is still hitting shots at a slightly above league average rate. Either it's random bad luck or Melo is contesting the shots ineffectively (or both).

I'm gonna put my money on "ineffectively". After all, this is Carmelo Anthony we're talking about.

crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  12:23 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Equating total deflections with great defense is not even kindergarten level logic. That said, I would not have expected Melo to have been that high on this list and that warrants a little credit.

Part of the problem with playing him out of position at the 3 is that he has to contest more threes. If he were playing at the four, his rebounding would be more valuable, and he wouldn't have to cover as much ground running out to the three point line.

You see this when Lance Thomas starts at the other forward spot next to Melo and KP is at center. That lineup is +12pts per 100 possessions since the all star break. Small sample size, but it fits with the common sense we've known for years - Melo is not a three!!!! He's actually an above average 4 at this point. And a below average 3.

But at the very least, these stats show he is trying on defense. He's just in the wrong position.

¿ △ ?
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

3/25/2017  1:45 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Can we stop this fiction that Melo is a terrible defender? He's certainly average... but plenty of teams win with average defenders in their lineup. Check out James Harden, Isaiah Thomas, etc.

he isnt terrible BUT he certainly doesnt show enough effort on the defensive end. Im not a George Karl fan but he wasnt wrong about that

For one that defends KP and all his defensive deficiencies you would think you would also applaud a fellow Knick. And to bring up a counter point that is over 10 years old, when he was in early 20's, is bush and short sighted. Thanks for showing your colors.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
StarksEwing1

3/25/2017  1:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  1:49 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

For one that defends KP and all his defensive deficiencies you would think you would also applaud a fellow Knick. And to bring up a counter point that is over 10 years old, when he was in early 20's, is bush and short sighted. Thanks for showing your colors.

sorry melo
Chandler
Member: #6197

3/25/2017  2:28 PM

Why are deflections telling? Seems the epitome of playing D w ur hands not ur feet

He is a gifted athlete. Has great hand eye coordination instincts etc

My "eyeball" stats show very very inconsistent effort. Pretty consistent sagging intermixed w the extreme opposite of over-aggression when he decides to give effort trying too hard for a highlight as opposed to the "sounder" force the opponent to a tougher shot or pass

Sorry it will take a lot to persuade me that melo is even mediocre on D

(5)(5)
Chandler
Member: #6197

3/25/2017  2:32 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Part of the problem with playing him out of position at the 3 is that he has to contest more threes. If he were playing at the four, his rebounding would be more valuable, and he wouldn't have to cover as much ground running out to the three point line.

You see this when Lance Thomas starts at the other forward spot next to Melo and KP is at center. That lineup is +12pts per 100 possessions since the all star break. Small sample size, but it fits with the common sense we've known for years - Melo is not a three!!!! He's actually an above average 4 at this point. And a below average 3.

But at the very least, these stats show he is trying on defense. He's just in the wrong position.

Good points but I still don't agree w "trying". Eyeballs see too much loafing in Transition. No help on D unless you count reaching in.

I honestly can't remember melo taking a charge

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/25/2017  2:47 PM
This part of the article is just sad.
4) Actually, a Knick leads the NBA in two-point shots contested, more than 100 ahead of second-place Rudy Gobert. Who he be?

4) Robin Lopez. Oh, RoLo’s not a Knick! My bad. Must’ve been a dream. It’s not like the Knicks would ever land an in-his-prime two-way big on a good contract proven to show growth in the Triangle or anything like that. Not when there’s a former NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to be had.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/25/2017  3:23 PM
Melo wasn't brought to NY to be a defensive stopper. The problem has been that its taken him an increasing number of shot attempts to put up the same numbers. He went from one of the healthier stars in the league to one who was frequently hurt. Went from one of the better clutch players in the league, to one of the worst.

Its time to cut bait, I believe even Melo is coming to the same conclusion. Not about liking or disliking Melo, its about moving on now that we have a legit player (not yet in his prime) to build the team around.

StarksEwing1

3/25/2017  3:33 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Melo wasn't brought to NY to be a defensive stopper. The problem has been that its taken him an increasing number of shot attempts to put up the same numbers. He went from one of the healthier stars in the league to one who was frequently hurt. Went from one of the better clutch players in the league, to one of the worst.

Its time to cut bait, I believe even Melo is coming to the same conclusion. Not about liking or disliking Melo, its about moving on now that we have a legit player (not yet in his prime) to build the team around.

exactly
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/25/2017  4:46 PM
Classic.
Melo's an iso ball hog. Except when he manages to lead the team in assists. But then he actually sucks because LeQ and CP3 are real basketball players.

Melo's not as clutch as Paul Pierce. Except when it's shown statistically that he actually is. But then he actually sucks because PP won a chip with his superfriends.

Now Melo's a defensive piece of ****. Except when you can see statistically that he isn't. But then he actually sucks because George Karl says so and anyone with eyeballs can see he sucks.

Of course none of this continual exercise in bullsheehit middle school piss-ant haterade is anything but the highest level of NBA basketball IQ and honest Knicks fandom.

Somebody needs to bump all those "Melo don't got patches on his warmup jacket" and "melo's fat" and "melo's a team cancer" threads... they were chock full of more brilliant arguments showing the level headed approach that it's not really about like or disliking Melo.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/25/2017  4:59 PM
jrodmc wrote:Classic.
Melo's an iso ball hog. Except when he manages to lead the team in assists. But then he actually sucks because LeQ and CP3 are real basketball players.

Melo's not as clutch as Paul Pierce. Except when it's shown statistically that he actually is. But then he actually sucks because PP won a chip with his superfriends.

Now Melo's a defensive piece of ****. Except when you can see statistically that he isn't. But then he actually sucks because George Karl says so and anyone with eyeballs can see he sucks.

Of course none of this continual exercise in bullsheehit middle school piss-ant haterade is anything but the highest level of NBA basketball IQ and honest Knicks fandom.

Somebody needs to bump all those "Melo don't got patches on his warmup jacket" and "melo's fat" and "melo's a team cancer" threads... they were chock full of more brilliant arguments showing the level headed approach that it's not really about like or disliking Melo.

Jrod, your ignorant sluttiness knows no bounds, just like your boy Eli. Ive been defending Melo since day one, but Im not blind to the fact that its been a long time since he was consistently clutch, and his numbers as far as shooting pct has been going south. Look it up, please. Paul Pierce? Might as well compare him to Moses if you're going that far back.

Most of this can be traced to his body failing him, not about his character. Please dont make any criticism to be "hate". Was never close to being in that camp.

crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  5:25 PM
Chandler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Good points but I still don't agree w "trying". Eyeballs see too much loafing in Transition. No help on D unless you count reaching in.

I honestly can't remember melo taking a charge

That's fair. As I said - average. He's also in his 14th year in the league. I think playing the 4 would actually be better for him in terms of having to work less on D, at least running up and down the floor and chasing perimeter guys. I think he should be playing more like Millsap at this point in his career.

Realistically - I just don't think you can build a contending team with the way Melo and KP mesh in the front court. Both guys probably are best served playing next to a defensive guy like Tyson Chandler or something. Playing Melo/KP at the 3/4 or the 4/5, you are going to have a mediocre defense.

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/26/2017  8:28 AM
He's an average defender, but he knows where to be. He's not some rookie who is lost on assignments.
The problem I've seen with Melo is effort. Intensity. He takes too many defensive possesions off.
A young team or a inexperienced team, when they see that, they form the same habits.

I've never blamed Melo for the entire team's poor defense. However Melo has played his part in forming this bad defensive team. No question about.

Melo is going to be 33 soon. There's just no point in jutifying his salary and his presence on a rebuilfing team.
I much rather see us lose and have players like Willy and Kuz have big nights than Melo iso his way to 25.
I much rather see KP attempt to become the go to player.

Time to rebuild.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/26/2017  8:37 AM
I see the blame game with regards to talent (just players. not looking at Horny/Phil) as follows for this season for me

1- Noah completely useless season due to injuries and the rest.
2- Rose played poor defense and selfish offense mindset most of season
3- Melo played iso heavy selfish offense most of seaso and set the wrong tone during the season
4- Jennings lost his shot completely we needed him to play better off the bench
5- Porzingis played stupid many games with silly fouls, letting his team down and hurting his rhythm.

Noah and Rose share the biggest blame. Then Melo. After lack of impact as a 6th man by BJ. KP's stupid habits on defense/fouling 5th. I can understand KP as he's 21 and in his 2nd year, very young player still learning D. I see Noah as someone that was never healthy. this year Rose and Melo, I feel they just came into this season with a very poor mindset. Their play was self inflicted and easily changed if they bought in and adapted to the situation.

Coaching and Phil deserve blame, and I will assign them, but for talent wise, Noah/Rose/Melo really let down.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/26/2017  9:15 AM
The deflections don't add up in the win column.
This is not on Melo, this is chemistry.
I supppose this is an interesting stat, but we go down the same path of blame and defending Melo vs. KP.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/26/2017  10:18 AM
opposing players (especially at the 4) vs. Melo have an inflated FG%. Melo isnt stopping anyone. None of his metrics show anything that indicates good defense and I mention #s because Melo completely fails the eye test. Melo's motor on defense was never his strength to start. He looks very old and apathetic on that side of the ball. Before my comments are quarantined into the Melo hate folder and ignored let me simply say again that Phil failed to put the parts around Melo that translate to wins, or those part under performed, or whatever and who cares. I look at Willy, KP, even some of the other young guys. We will get another prospect in this draft. Is trying to build a team around Melo what I want as their "NBA 101 - Intro to NBA basketball" first year experience?

We are not going to add the pieces that will get a Melo centric team deep into the postseason, or even round 2 for that matter. It just time to move on for the benefit of all the parties involved.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Melo leads the team in deflections and is 9th in NBA in three point shot contests

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy