[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks suspending Joakim Noah 20 games for violation of drug policy?!?!?!?!?
Author Thread
ESOMKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6064

3/25/2017  4:57 PM
This is just great. This season has not ended yet, yet the next season is already beginning to be flushed down the shoot. Quarter of a season without your starting center?

And the worst thing: the testosterone did not do him any good, as he played like crap all year.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  5:07 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:How does Phil judge talent? Can a pro Phil fan please explain his moves to me, why he should still have his job etc.?

Phil appears to have an OK eye for talent. He got Willy, Kuz, and KP. He just has no idea how much the talent is worth. When it's a rookie contract and it's given that the salary will be low, it works out OK. When he actually has to figure out how much a player is worth in terms of salary in a signing or assets in a trade, he's as bad as it gets.

A bit of an over exaggeration. The deals he gave to Affalo, KOQ, D.Williams, C.Lee, Jennings weren't bad ones at all. . Turner, Bazemore, Deng got 4 years 70 mil. Didn't love the Lopez signing, but apparently was a very movable contract which other teams were interested in. I don't know what he was thinking with the length of the Noah contract though given his injury history(not a talent issue). The deal he worked out with Willie is very very good though. Willie will far exceed his pay while Noah will severely under perform. KOQ exceeds his pay from the center position as well. We have had 20+mil in cap space over the last 2 years and will have 20+mil in cap space going into the 3rd year. The Tyson chandler trade is the only deal I can think of at the moment that I feel he got swindled.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about larger contracts, though KOQ is the only one from that list I consider decent. The contracts on the team have all been debated too much to go into again but I'd rate the 5 largest contracts on our roster (Melo, Lee, Rose, Noah, Thomas) all between a D and an F. Jennings (6th largest) could have been OK but $5 mil for half a season from him is bad.

Under the new cap. 5 mil per may equate to like less then 2 mil under the old cap. And for it to be a one year deal. The fact that you would count that as a poor deal in today's market... Same with Lance and his 3 mil per deal. And he acquired Rose with one year remaining on his salary while dumping 30+mil from Lopez and another 7 from Calderon. Granted he ruined that with the Noah signing.

No, it wasn't $5 mil for one year. That was the initial signing but not what the deal worked out to be. It was $5 mil for half a year. (It wasn't a buyout. It was a waiver. Phil paid the full $5 mil for half a year.) Jennings is not worth paying a rate of almost $10 mil a season.

I mean, I'm not trying to defend Phil, but you're making a weird argument here. Jennings only counted $5M against the cap either way. And he played something like 58 games here which is way more than half. Jennings was a good low risk signing. It didn't work out, but it was not a bad signing financially or contract length. He comes off the books after playing decently for 2/3 the year for us. Whatever. Phil has some far worse blemishes imho.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  5:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  5:14 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:This is just great. This season has not ended yet, yet the next season is already beginning to be flushed down the shoot. Quarter of a season without your starting center?

And the worst thing: the testosterone did not do him any good, as he played like crap all year.

He's only suspended 10 games next season. He can serve ten games now, apparently, while he's out injured.

The whole thing is weird. Usually they wouldn't let a guy serve a suspension while injured. Usually you have to prove you're healthy enough to play and then serve a suspension. Something is kinda fishy about this whole situation.

Though let's be honest -

A) we're not gonna be good next year.

B) I didn't expect Noah to play more than half the season anyway.

C) I'm not convinced he should even be playing minutes ahead of KP, Willy, or KOQ at center for this team - not for tanking, I just think he might only be our 4th best center.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/25/2017  6:50 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:How does Phil judge talent? Can a pro Phil fan please explain his moves to me, why he should still have his job etc.?

Phil appears to have an OK eye for talent. He got Willy, Kuz, and KP. He just has no idea how much the talent is worth. When it's a rookie contract and it's given that the salary will be low, it works out OK. When he actually has to figure out how much a player is worth in terms of salary in a signing or assets in a trade, he's as bad as it gets.

A bit of an over exaggeration. The deals he gave to Affalo, KOQ, D.Williams, C.Lee, Jennings weren't bad ones at all. . Turner, Bazemore, Deng got 4 years 70 mil. Didn't love the Lopez signing, but apparently was a very movable contract which other teams were interested in. I don't know what he was thinking with the length of the Noah contract though given his injury history(not a talent issue). The deal he worked out with Willie is very very good though. Willie will far exceed his pay while Noah will severely under perform. KOQ exceeds his pay from the center position as well. We have had 20+mil in cap space over the last 2 years and will have 20+mil in cap space going into the 3rd year. The Tyson chandler trade is the only deal I can think of at the moment that I feel he got swindled.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about larger contracts, though KOQ is the only one from that list I consider decent. The contracts on the team have all been debated too much to go into again but I'd rate the 5 largest contracts on our roster (Melo, Lee, Rose, Noah, Thomas) all between a D and an F. Jennings (6th largest) could have been OK but $5 mil for half a season from him is bad.

Under the new cap. 5 mil per may equate to like less then 2 mil under the old cap. And for it to be a one year deal. The fact that you would count that as a poor deal in today's market... Same with Lance and his 3 mil per deal. And he acquired Rose with one year remaining on his salary while dumping 30+mil from Lopez and another 7 from Calderon. Granted he ruined that with the Noah signing.

No, it wasn't $5 mil for one year. That was the initial signing but not what the deal worked out to be. It was $5 mil for half a year. (It wasn't a buyout. It was a waiver. Phil paid the full $5 mil for half a year.) Jennings is not worth paying a rate of almost $10 mil a season.

I mean, I'm not trying to defend Phil, but you're making a weird argument here. Jennings only counted $5M against the cap either way. And he played something like 58 games here which is way more than half. Jennings was a good low risk signing. It didn't work out, but it was not a bad signing financially or contract length. He comes off the books after playing decently for 2/3 the year for us. Whatever. Phil has some far worse blemishes imho.

Yeah $5 mil for 2/3 of a season from Jennings ended up being poorly spent money but it's Phil's least bad blemish.
reub
Member: #6227

3/25/2017  7:56 PM
So if he's suspended does that mean that the Knicks get to keep his salary or is it a fine where the league takes it? The league might have just done the Knicks a big favor here.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/25/2017  8:01 PM
I think the contracts for AA and D. Will still fall on the negative side because those were deals with player options not team options. Phil just caught a break that those players didn't opt in. So basically Phil lucked out and celebrated his good fortune by burning the money on a broken down veteran Center.
crzymdups
USA
3/25/2017  9:49 PM

Oh wow. This article says he can't begin serving the suspension until he's medically cleared to play. Looking like he'll miss the first 20 games of next season. Sheesh, what a mess.

¿ △ ?
Kemet
Member: #6148

3/26/2017  7:50 AM
The drug test on a injured player that hasnt performed in over a month n half (Feb. 4th) are to to fishy for me.
Joakim Noah high B.Ball IQ plus team-ball play-maker leadership on the court are worth the $72M contract .. having Melo n Rose individual slow-tempo isolation control every offensive possession plus the two scorers are clueless on the defensive-end are oil n water mix when put in a lineup with Noah team-ball performance.
crzymdups
USA
3/26/2017  11:05 AM
Kemet wrote:The drug test on a injured player that hasnt performed in over a month n half (Feb. 4th) are to to fishy for me.
Joakim Noah high B.Ball IQ plus team-ball play-maker leadership on the court are worth the $72M contract .. having Melo n Rose individual slow-tempo isolation control every offensive possession plus the two scorers are clueless on the defensive-end are oil n water mix when put in a lineup with Noah team-ball performance.

It's absolutely insane that even though the cap is $100m now, we have $70m plus tied up in Rose, Melo, and Noah.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/26/2017  11:42 AM
crzymdups wrote:
Kemet wrote:The drug test on a injured player that hasnt performed in over a month n half (Feb. 4th) are to to fishy for me.

It's absolutely insane that even though the cap is $100m now, we have $70m plus tied up in Rose, Melo, and Noah.

The cap is actually $94 mil and we have nearly all of it ($80 mil) tied up in Rose, Melo, Lee, Thomas, and Noah. There aren't many teams carrying such an ineffective collection of $80 mil.
stopstandthere
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #6004

3/27/2017  3:20 AM
Why the Knicks needed to sign this guy?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/27/2017  8:15 AM
I suspect it will be heavily reduced given the substance will be legal next year. I think he'll get medically cleared to play soon if he can.
Knicks suspending Joakim Noah 20 games for violation of drug policy?!?!?!?!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy