Z. Harper, A Guide for Tanking
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/24/2017  6:32 PM
NEW YORK KNICKS: 27-45, 6TH HIGHEST LOTTERY ODDS

Realistic best they can do: The New York Knicks are probably too competent to challenge Phoenix for the third best odds. But they’re well within a game of sliding below Philly and Orlando. The big tanking one for them and comes on the final game of the season. They host the 76ers, and that could be prime lottery positioning for them and Phil Jackson’s future.

How they should tank: Three quick and easy things the Knicks, and even their fans, can do to help this tanking process.

1) I think Jeff Hornacek is a good enough coach in this league. But if they want to get serious about tanking then they need to fire him, set him free, and put Kurt Rambis in place. The Knicks’ winning percentage is 37.5 percent this season. Rambis’ career win percentage as a coach is 28.4 percent, and that includes him going 24-13 with the 1999 Lakers.

2) You still employ Sasha Vujacic in 2017. The team is a -18.0 net rating in 28 minutes since the All-Star break with him in the game. Play The Machine.

3) Carmelo Anthony seems pretty annoyed at this idea of full-time triangle next season. This is where the fans come into play. Bring those musical triangles to the arena. Whenever Melo gets the ball, ring them incessantly like Kings fans in the early 2000’s. Melo may snap and completely try to subterfuge the rest of this season.

The impediment to tanking: Playing Anthony over Ron Baker. Since the All-Star break, the lineup of Derrick Rose, Courtney Lee, Carmelo, Lance Thomas, and Kristaps Porzingis is an impressive +12.1 per 100 possessions. But when you take Melo out and put Baker in his place, the Knicks drop to a -74.7 per 100 possessions. As much crap as Melo catches as a star, him playing over Baker is a recipe for non-tanking. What’s the opposite of tanking? A golf cart? The Knicks with this lineup are golf carting.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/harper-guide-tanking-help-lakers-knicks/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/24/2017  7:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Realistic best they can do: The New York Knicks are probably too competent to challenge Phoenix for the third best odds. But they’re well within a game of sliding below Philly and Orlando. The big tanking one for them and comes on the final game of the season. They host the 76ers, and that could be prime lottery positioning for them and Phil Jackson’s future.

How they should tank: Three quick and easy things the Knicks, and even their fans, can do to help this tanking process.

1) I think Jeff Hornacek is a good enough coach in this league. But if they want to get serious about tanking then they need to fire him, set him free, and put Kurt Rambis in place. The Knicks’ winning percentage is 37.5 percent this season. Rambis’ career win percentage as a coach is 28.4 percent, and that includes him going 24-13 with the 1999 Lakers.

2) You still employ Sasha Vujacic in 2017. The team is a -18.0 net rating in 28 minutes since the All-Star break with him in the game. Play The Machine.

3) Carmelo Anthony seems pretty annoyed at this idea of full-time triangle next season. This is where the fans come into play. Bring those musical triangles to the arena. Whenever Melo gets the ball, ring them incessantly like Kings fans in the early 2000’s. Melo may snap and completely try to subterfuge the rest of this season.

The impediment to tanking: Playing Anthony over Ron Baker. Since the All-Star break, the lineup of Derrick Rose, Courtney Lee, Carmelo, Lance Thomas, and Kristaps Porzingis is an impressive +12.1 per 100 possessions. But when you take Melo out and put Baker in his place, the Knicks drop to a -74.7 per 100 possessions. As much crap as Melo catches as a star, him playing over Baker is a recipe for non-tanking. What’s the opposite of tanking? A golf cart? The Knicks with this lineup are golf carting.

Don't show that stat to Bonn...

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/24/2017  9:27 PM
But wait I thought Melo and Rose were the problem?? I'm so confused.

Jk, this is kinda proof that the big lineup was a big part of the problem. Playing Melo at the 4 with a more mobile guy like Lance solves a lot of problems. Imagine Josh Jackson next to KP and Melo? I mean, I'm ready to move on from Melo, but that would solve a lot of problems.

Not that I have any interest in winning games the rest of this year. We need to rest Rose, Melo, and KP as often as possible down the stretch. Lance, too.

¿ △ ?
CrushAlot
USA
3/24/2017  9:31 PM
crzymdups wrote:But wait I thought Melo and Rose were the problem?? I'm so confused.

Jk, this is kinda proof that the big lineup was a big part of the problem. Playing Melo at the 4 with a more mobile guy like Lance solves a lot of problems. Imagine Josh Jackson next to KP and Melo? I mean, I'm ready to move on from Melo, but that would solve a lot of problems.

Not that I have any interest in winning games the rest of this year. We need to rest Rose, Melo, and KP as often as possible down the stretch. Lance, too.

Josh Jackson with Melo and KP would be amazing. Josh Jackson with anybody would be pretty awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/25/2017  12:23 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Summary: Melo is better than Baker in a lineup.

Why did you feel this was worthy to point this out to us?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
USA
3/25/2017  12:49 AM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Because I don't see Melo as the reason for the last three years of non playoff bball. I don't think the team is better with him off the floor. I also don't think moving Melo fixes that and I don't think the return that Phil would get makes it worth moving him. I am fine with moving Melo. I think it probably is the best for all parties. I am very uncomfortable with Phil being the guy to move him. I don't see anything... Guy on florida just made two underhand free throws and they got a steal to tie the game. I will finish this thought later.
CrushAlot
USA
3/25/2017  12:53 AM
Florida with a three at the buzzer of ot. Madness.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/25/2017  1:27 AM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

There were a large portion of people who said that the big lineup was the issue, playing Melo at the 3, not the 4. +12.1 net rating per 100 possessions, even over a relatively small sample size (not to mention the entire 2012-3 season) seems to bear that out. I think it's relevant. Also, it's not like he wrote the article.

¿ △ ?
Z. Harper, A Guide for Tanking

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy