[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Irony of the Knicks...
Author Thread
SocraticBallin22
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6096

3/23/2017  3:33 PM
The first game since Hornacek's public comments that he would cut back the minutes of his veterans and play the younger players more, he played all his veterans 30+ minutes and actually cut the minutes of the young players--Willy 17, Baker 21 and the rest all single digits in minutes. The game was relatively close--and we were actually leading for most of it--and the minute he put the starters (veterans; i.e Melo and Rose) back into the game at the 6 minute mark in the 4th quarter, the Jazz pulled away and blew the game wide open.

The irony is this: Horny is still trying to win games--when it's the worst thing possible for the organization right now and their future--and is still playing his veterans heavy minutes--and they're STILL LOSING!

I've been watching basketball for a long time, and I've never seen a team in this position actually trying to win meaningless games with veterans and still losing! All other TANK teams are sitting out their vets the rest of the season and only playing young players, which is the TANK formula--while the Knicks are doing the exact opposite, yet are still losing! Melo and Rose are inadvertently leading the Tank.

I don't know what this says, but it's embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're losing--losing is the only option at this point--but the way they are losing by not trying to lose is embarrassing. The fact they are losing with their star/veteran players is an indictment on those star players. And how much faith can we have in this franchise if we as fans know what's best for the team but they don't. Yet they still lose? Mind boggling!

Horny said he is still trying to win games and will be going back to the starters down the stretch to close out games like he tried to last night, but what he doesn't know is by bringing the starters back in it virtually ensures a loss. What a farce the Knicks have become!

AUTOADVERT
Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/23/2017  3:44 PM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:The first game since Hornacek's public comments that he would cut back the minutes of his veterans and play the younger players more, he played all his veterans 30+ minutes and actually cut the minutes of the young players--Willy 17, Baker 21 and the rest all single digits in minutes. The game was relatively close--and we were actually leading for most of it--and the minute he put the starters (veterans; i.e Melo and Rose) back into the game at the 6 minute mark in the 4th quarter, the Jazz pulled away and blew the game wide open.

The irony is this: Horny is still trying to win games--when it's the worst thing possible for the organization right now and their future--and is still playing his veterans heavy minutes--and they're STILL LOSING!

I've been watching basketball for a long time, and I've never seen a team in this position actually trying to win meaningless games with veterans and still losing! All other TANK teams are sitting out their vets the rest of the season and only playing young players, which is the TANK formula--while the Knicks are doing the exact opposite, yet are still losing! Melo and Rose are inadvertently leading the Tank.

I don't know what this says, but it's embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're losing--losing is the only option at this point--but the way they are losing by not trying to lose is embarrassing. The fact they are losing with their star/veteran players is an indictment on those star players. And how much faith can we have in this franchise if we as fans know what's best for the team but they don't. Yet they still lose? Mind boggling!

Horny said he is still trying to win games and will be going back to the starters down the stretch to close out games like he tried to last night, but what he doesn't know is by bringing the starters back in it virtually ensures a loss. What a farce the Knicks have become!

What?! lmao!

Here you are actually condoning LOSING...thats whats best? Putting your faith in the unknown all while teaching your players that its ok to lose and just give up??

Everyone here likes to talk about "developing" these young players but what would you think would happen to Hernangomez and KP if the Head Coach is showing them any sort of a losers mentality and that its ok not give any more effort because "all this doesn't mean anything and, HOPEFULLY, we can select a REAL STAR in the upcoming draft"?

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
3/23/2017  5:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  5:29 PM
I really hope Rose nor Melo are not on the team next year. Otherwise we will have another lottery season. Our bench has played better ball all year, so for us the tanking formula includes our stars. Yes it's embarrassing. One is playing for a new contract so he only does things that he is good at and is too shortsighted to show that he can grow as a ball player. The other one is a self proclaimed "digital athlete " whatever the f that means.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/23/2017  8:46 PM
I honestly think Hornacek mainly wanted to win or at least put up a good fight because he was home in Utah. I think it brought out the competitive juices. I don't fault him for that. I'm glad we lost in the end. But they played hard.

Tonight they're testing three starters in Portland. The tank is real.

But, yeah, I won't fault Hornacek for not wanting to be embarrassed in front of his old team.

¿ △ ?
SocraticBallin22
Member: #6096

3/23/2017  9:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  9:35 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:The first game since Hornacek's public comments that he would cut back the minutes of his veterans and play the younger players more, he played all his veterans 30+ minutes and actually cut the minutes of the young players--Willy 17, Baker 21 and the rest all single digits in minutes. The game was relatively close--and we were actually leading for most of it--and the minute he put the starters (veterans; i.e Melo and Rose) back into the game at the 6 minute mark in the 4th quarter, the Jazz pulled away and blew the game wide open.

What?! lmao!

Here you are actually condoning LOSING...thats whats best? Putting your faith in the unknown all while teaching your players that its ok to lose and just give up??

Everyone here likes to talk about "developing" these young players but what would you think would happen to Hernangomez and KP if the Head Coach is showing them any sort of a losers mentality and that its ok not give any more effort because "all this doesn't mean anything and, HOPEFULLY, we can select a REAL STAR in the upcoming draft"?

If we didn't massively lose a couple year ago and gotten a top 5 lottery pick, we wouldn't have KP who is the future franchise player of our team.

Winning serves no purpose right now. We have no chance of making the playoffs. Playing the veterans--who most likely will not be here next year--serves no purpose. They are what they are; they're not changing or getting any better. Moreover, both Melo and Rose have gone on record saying that they're not fans of the triangle. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Now playing the young players--i.e. KP, Willy, Baker, Randle, Plumlee, Ndour--who actually will be back next year and can improve and get better while buying into the system--makes sense, albeit if it results in maybe losing a couple more games, which is what's best for the franchise, btw.

Another top 5 lottery pick gives us two franchise changing talents to roll with next year. This should be the process.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

3/24/2017  12:44 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:

What?! lmao!

We have a handful of games left. So YES, losing is the order of the day. We reboot next season with another top 5 lottery pick and continue do develop.

IMPATIENCE = MEDIOCRITY. Let the team grow organically into a contender. Add veteran all-star talent when the core is ready to contend - probably about 3-4 years from now.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
3/25/2017  1:47 AM
Moonangie wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:

What?! lmao!

We have a handful of games left. So YES, losing is the order of the day. We reboot next season with another top 5 lottery pick and continue do develop.

IMPATIENCE = MEDIOCRITY. Let the team grow organically into a contender. Add veteran all-star talent when the core is ready to contend - probably about 3-4 years from now.

Losing being the order of the day is the mantra of fanboys who's main thrust at the NBA is March Madness brackets, fantasy leagues and wanking off to the failed Hinkie Ping Pong model. Not professional athletes who get paid to compete night after endless night. Coaching and playing to lose is what losers do and propose.

Internet sports posting reality. Fans who know better how to play, how to coach and how to manage.

I guess after a few thousand posts and several years, you can actually start to believe your opinion makes you more than just another foam fingered facepainter.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

3/25/2017  4:01 AM
SocraticBallin22 wrote:And how much faith can we have in this franchise if we as fans know what's best for the team but they don't. Yet they still lose? Mind boggling!

The year before the Seattle Seahawks won the Superbowl, they signed Matt Flynn to play QB on a pretty decent sized free agent contract. They drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round of that year's draft. Wilson, the rookie and short as hell, simply outplayed Flynn. Many teams would have stuck with the more expensive player, clearly one that was the 'safe pick' and far easier on the marketing aspect of the franchise. Instead Pete Carroll said, F**k the money, play the guy who will help us win.

Many teams pick the best marketing decision, but it doesn't always line up with the best "winning" decision.

When the Yankees resigned Jeter 3 more years at like 48 million, was that the best "winning" decision? His defense had eroded, he was no longer an elite SS and he was clearly in decline. But he was a legacy player and there was the marketing value of him getting hit number 3000 in pinstripes. Lakers had to make the same choice with Kobe Bryant, an aging injured selfish diva player with a bad attitude and no regard for his team at all. But he was a good "marketing" decision to sell tickets.

Rose and Melo sell tickets. They don't help the team win.

Sometimes you get a Steve Nash and/or a Tim Duncan and you can have both. In this case, you don't.

Sadly, winning is not always the first priority with sports franchises. Sometimes it's just about the money. ( Think about all the revenue sharing money the Yankees have shelled out, Brian Cashman said it best, everyone talks trash about us, the other teams, until we cut a 50 million dollar check that they get to split, MLB even had to change the rules so the "poor" teams couldn't just pocket the revenue sharing/tax money and keep running their teams on a penny budget)

Hornacek clearly has no control over what's going on here, hard to blame a guy when he's taking marching orders and they are from guys like Dolan and Jackson.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/25/2017  5:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2017  5:44 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Moonangie wrote:
Swishfm3 wrote:

What?! lmao!

Losing being the order of the day is the mantra of fanboys who's main thrust at the NBA is March Madness brackets, fantasy leagues and wanking off to the failed Hinkie Ping Pong model. Not professional athletes who get paid to compete night after endless night. Coaching and playing to lose is what losers do and propose.

Internet sports posting reality. Fans who know better how to play, how to coach and how to manage.

I guess after a few thousand posts and several years, you can actually start to believe your opinion makes you more than just another foam fingered facepainter.

Jr-- really you preaching to others about how losing is quite funny-- you've got a patent on it. # one playoff round in 17 years

Think about that Jr? You're talking about Hinkies failures? Well whatever model James Dolan is following while spending more money with ether worst winning % of all time in any sport and second place is miles away. Nah take a seat and let the fanboys have a shot. The paid guys have certainly failed miserably

RIP Crushalot😞
The Irony of the Knicks...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy