[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jennings opens up,confusion top to bottom, same as kp said
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/22/2017  9:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  9:22 PM
For Brandon Jennings, playing for the Knicks was a dream seven years in the making, ever since they passed on him in the draft for Jordan Hill.

It started off great. In Jennings' first home preseason game, he heard the Garden crowd chanting his name, already dubbed a 'crowd favorite' by Jeff Hornacek. Past the quarter pole of the regular season, the Knicks were third in the Eastern Conference and Jennings was being pushed as a Sixth Man of the Year candidate.

But then, like most everything involved with the Knicks these days, a dream dissolved amid losing, confusion and, of course, the triangle.

"It was a dream come true for me to be a Knick and to play in Madison Square Garden every night," Jennings, who was waived by New York and signed earlier this month with the Wizards, told the Daily News. "It was just too much going on behind the scenes that I didn't understand."

Charles Oakley on Knicks’ triangle offense: ‘It’s really easy’
Jennings, who signed a one-year, $5 million deal to serve as Derrick Rose's backup over the summer, wasn't carrying a grudge in his candid comments Wednesday to the News. He was happy with the way the Knicks handled his desire to relocate to a playoff team, having received a send-off text message from Phil Jackson relaying a 'thank you' and that contending teams were already interested in his services.

But Jennings expected much more out of himself and the season. Plus, there was an offense that countered his preferred style of play (Jennings wanted to push the pace and freestyle, while the triangle, which was re-emphasized by the Knicks just before Jennings was waived, slowed everything down).

"I think what just happened was they were just going in a different direction. I wanted to play fast. I didn't really understand the triangle," Jennings said. "I think that was my biggest thing. I really didn't understand it. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I just felt like the way the game is being played today, I just felt like you got to score. You got to score. You got to get up shots. When I came to New York, I wanted to put on a show every night. I wanted to put up shots with nice passes and things like that. So I guess it just wasn't the right timing."

There were other issues. Jennings, piggybacking off what Kristaps Porzingis said about a week earlier, indicated that practices were muddied by confusion and inconsistency. At different points in the season, the Knicks went from playing fast to pick and rolls to isolations to the triangle. The lack of continuity extended to the defense.

Hornacek says Knicks need full commitment to triangle next season
"It was just different. Every day it was just something different," Jennings said. "It was just like, if we could just stick to what we could do, we'll be fine. So at times, you'd just come into practice and you didn't know what was going on."

Hornacek has said that his tendency to switch game plans was simply a product of losing: things didn't work, so they changed. On Wednesday, the coach finally admitted it was a mistake not to stick with one offense from the beginning, specifically the triangle. Still, that doesn't excuse the lack of communication Jennings described to the News.

"The thing is, there really wasn't a lot of talking. It wasn't like, 'This is what we're going to do.' It was just we didn't know what was going on. So it just kind of left itself blank," Jennings said. "And I think that's where the frustration built for the team. Because guys didn't know what was going on."

In his 58 games with the Knicks, Jennings averaged 8.6 points and a team-high 4.9 assists. He developed a strong chemistry with Kristaps Porzingis, assisting on 50 of the Latvian's buckets despite their limited time on the court together. He wanted more time on the court with Rose, believing their flashes in the backcourt together -- specifically when they combined for 53 points in a loss to Houston on New Year's Eve - should've been rewarded with more opportunities.

But overall, the ball movement was so poor with the Knicks that Jennings noticed the difference immediately after joining the Wizards. Perhaps not coincidentally, the Knicks didn't play well when Jennings was paired with Carmelo Anthony, getting outscored by 110 points over 736 minutes. Heading into Wednesday's game against the Jazz, the Knicks carried an assist percentage of 60.5 when Anthony was off the court. When he was on the court? 52 percent.

"Anybody who is watching the game, you know if you're watching the game. When the ball got to the pinch post it was never. …," Jennings said, speaking in general terms. "You got Derrick Rose, who can score, who can do things. You have (Porzingis). Guys could never really find their shots or find their rhythm. So it was like, something's wrong with that. You have Derrick Rose who can get to the rim with ease and score. But even he was out there lost. That's how I looked at it. I looked at it that he didn't know what was going on. KP, he was trying to come into his second year trying to find himself, and he couldn't really find a rhythm either. So it's definitely difficult."

To be clear, Jennings didn't call out Anthony or any specific player. He was speaking in general terms about New York's selfish play. But Jennings was clear about who the Knicks should focus on moving forward - young big men Porzingis and Willy Hernangomez.

"That's who they should build a team around, those two," Jennings said." That's just my personal opinion because they're very young, they're very good. I mean, Willy, in a couple years, he's going to be probably one of the best big men. He reminds me of Marc Gasol."

Send a Letter to the Editor

seems like were hear the same sht from players about the triangle, yr after yr.

I'm not oppose to the triangle, i just don't think your going to find a 12 players totally committed to it, especially todays PG.

ES
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/22/2017  9:44 PM
This part is incredibly damning to the coach Hornacek -

There were other issues. Jennings, piggybacking off what Kristaps Porzingis said about a week earlier, indicated that practices were muddied by confusion and inconsistency. At different points in the season, the Knicks went from playing fast to pick and rolls to isolations to the triangle. The lack of continuity extended to the defense.

"It was just different. Every day it was just something different," Jennings said. "It was just like, if we could just stick to what we could do, we'll be fine. So at times, you'd just come into practice and you didn't know what was going on."

Hornacek has said that his tendency to switch game plans was simply a product of losing: things didn't work, so they changed. On Wednesday, the coach finally admitted it was a mistake not to stick with one offense from the beginning, specifically the triangle. Still, that doesn't excuse the lack of communication Jennings described to the News.

"The thing is, there really wasn't a lot of talking. It wasn't like, 'This is what we're going to do.' It was just we didn't know what was going on. So it just kind of left itself blank," Jennings said. "And I think that's where the frustration built for the team. Because guys didn't know what was going on."

This part is incredibly damning to Melo (and also, still damning to Horny) -

But overall, the ball movement was so poor with the Knicks that Jennings noticed the difference immediately after joining the Wizards. Perhaps not coincidentally, the Knicks didn't play well when Jennings was paired with Carmelo Anthony, getting outscored by 110 points over 736 minutes. Heading into Wednesday's game against the Jazz, the Knicks carried an assist percentage of 60.5 when Anthony was off the court. When he was on the court? 52 percent.

"Anybody who is watching the game, you know if you're watching the game. When the ball got to the pinch post it was never. …," Jennings said, speaking in general terms. "You got Derrick Rose, who can score, who can do things. You have (Porzingis). Guys could never really find their shots or find their rhythm. So it was like, something's wrong with that. You have Derrick Rose who can get to the rim with ease and score. But even he was out there lost.

That's how I looked at it. I looked at it that he didn't know what was going on. KP, he was trying to come into his second year trying to find himself, and he couldn't really find a rhythm either. So it's definitely difficult."

¿ △ ?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/22/2017  9:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
For Brandon Jennings, playing for the Knicks was a dream seven years in the making, ever since they passed on him in the draft for Jordan Hill.

It started off great. In Jennings' first home preseason game, he heard the Garden crowd chanting his name, already dubbed a 'crowd favorite' by Jeff Hornacek. Past the quarter pole of the regular season, the Knicks were third in the Eastern Conference and Jennings was being pushed as a Sixth Man of the Year candidate.

But then, like most everything involved with the Knicks these days, a dream dissolved amid losing, confusion and, of course, the triangle.

"It was a dream come true for me to be a Knick and to play in Madison Square Garden every night," Jennings, who was waived by New York and signed earlier this month with the Wizards, told the Daily News. "It was just too much going on behind the scenes that I didn't understand."

Jennings, who signed a one-year, $5 million deal to serve as Derrick Rose's backup over the summer, wasn't carrying a grudge in his candid comments Wednesday to the News. He was happy with the way the Knicks handled his desire to relocate to a playoff team, having received a send-off text message from Phil Jackson relaying a 'thank you' and that contending teams were already interested in his services.

But Jennings expected much more out of himself and the season. Plus, there was an offense that countered his preferred style of play (Jennings wanted to push the pace and freestyle, while the triangle, which was re-emphasized by the Knicks just before Jennings was waived, slowed everything down).

"I think what just happened was they were just going in a different direction. I wanted to play fast. I didn't really understand the triangle," Jennings said. "I think that was my biggest thing. I really didn't understand it. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I just felt like the way the game is being played today, I just felt like you got to score. You got to score. You got to get up shots. When I came to New York, I wanted to put on a show every night. I wanted to put up shots with nice passes and things like that. So I guess it just wasn't the right timing."

In his 58 games with the Knicks, Jennings averaged 8.6 points and a team-high 4.9 assists. He developed a strong chemistry with Kristaps Porzingis, assisting on 50 of the Latvian's buckets despite their limited time on the court together. He wanted more time on the court with Rose, believing their flashes in the backcourt together -- specifically when they combined for 53 points in a loss to Houston on New Year's Eve - should've been rewarded with more opportunities.

"Anybody who is watching the game, you know if you're watching the game. When the ball got to the pinch post it was never. …," Jennings said, speaking in general terms. "You got Derrick Rose, who can score, who can do things. You have (Porzingis). Guys could never really find their shots or find their rhythm. So it was like, something's wrong with that. You have Derrick Rose who can get to the rim with ease and score. But even he was out there lost. That's how I looked at it. I looked at it that he didn't know what was going on. KP, he was trying to come into his second year trying to find himself, and he couldn't really find a rhythm either. So it's definitely difficult."

To be clear, Jennings didn't call out Anthony or any specific player. He was speaking in general terms about New York's selfish play. But Jennings was clear about who the Knicks should focus on moving forward - young big men Porzingis and Willy Hernangomez.

"That's who they should build a team around, those two," Jennings said." That's just my personal opinion because they're very young, they're very good. I mean, Willy, in a couple years, he's going to be probably one of the best big men. He reminds me of Marc Gasol."

I'm not oppose to the triangle, i just don't think your going to find a 12 players totally committed to it, especially todays PG.

We are actually VERY close to having a full roster that is committed to the Triangle!!! If you go down the line of this roster MOST of the Players will buy in. Any new young players will buy in as well. Just watching the games even Shaq recognized that the bench players and younger guys bought into the Triangle. It's not going to be a problem going forward.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/22/2017  11:10 PM
The way I see it, all of the players who have openly expressed their distaste for the triangle offense are volume scorers/shot creators who haven't won jack in the nba. Meanwhile, former stars and nba Champs praise it. Something is off about that.
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
3/22/2017  11:42 PM
If your PG can't and won't UNDERSTAND an offense it's not the offenses fault. He just wanted to come in and ball, jack up shots and get cheered. This article sheds no negative light on Knicks brass IMO.
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/22/2017  11:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  11:44 PM
No one has a problem playing in a system..Whatever it is..The problem is whose system is it..It has to be the coach's call..The coach like the players have to buy in..
Zebo13
Member: #6434
USA
3/22/2017  11:44 PM
I agree with both of the previous posts to mine!
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/23/2017  4:05 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Yep you ignore the bit where he basically calls out Melo as being a ball hog...

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/23/2017  7:03 AM
The ball stops because the players don't understand the triangle.

They don't understand the triangle because the coach has been forced to teach the triangle, and the expert triangle coach is the GM, not the coach.

Easy fix. Fire the coach, force the GM to be the coach.

We saw this play out once before with the Knicks, so there is a precedent.

KnicksFE
Member: #3561

3/23/2017  7:55 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

We are actually VERY close to having a full roster that is committed to the Triangle!!! If you go down the line of this roster MOST of the Players will buy in. Any new young players will buy in as well. Just watching the games even Shaq recognized that the bench players and younger guys bought into the Triangle. It's not going to be a problem going forward.

It all depends if the team is winning, if they are winning, good. If not, it could another long season.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/23/2017  8:16 AM
Cool. Blessing in disguise. Worst thing for this group would have been some modest success. A total failure ensure the Knicks do the right thing moving forward. Dump the ball stoppers and non defenders. Get more lottery caliber talent. Build this with guys who will defend and move the ball.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/23/2017  8:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2017  8:29 AM
"I wanted to put on a show every night, put up shots".........Well, there you have an honest response. Jennings is not just to blame and Im ok with all he said.

Seems like team is now committed to the system going forward.

Ok, no more confusion. This is a triangle team now. Players are confused. Not anymore. Not this summer, not in training camp.
All decisions are now made with system play.

Jeff has embraced it, Rambis is the guru, phil will help teach it. Jeff is the head coach, no confusion. Jeff is ok with it, or he can quit. He talked about using triangle when he was hired.

TPercy
Member: #5748

3/23/2017  12:02 PM
crzymdups wrote:This part is incredibly damning to the coach Hornacek -

This part is incredibly damning to Melo (and also, still damning to Horny) -

"Anybody who is watching the game, you know if you're watching the game. When the ball got to the pinch post it was never. …," Jennings said, speaking in general terms. "You got Derrick Rose, who can score, who can do things. You have (Porzingis). Guys could never really find their shots or find their rhythm. So it was like, something's wrong with that. You have Derrick Rose who can get to the rim with ease and score. But even he was out there lost.

That's how I looked at it. I looked at it that he didn't know what was going on. KP, he was trying to come into his second year trying to find himself, and he couldn't really find a rhythm either. So it's definitely difficult."

I love Jeff Hornacek and all. I really do, but I don't understand how the hell you can go in half the season with the players not knowing what the hell they are doing. I thought when he said that the Knicks weren't running the triangle that much that we were at least running some form of system basketball with mostly triangle elements. Seeing this from a player perspective, it appears that the players were just lost for the most part.

Thus when:
1)Our entire team doesn't know what your doing, meaning that you are relying mostly on talent and BBIQ to get you through the season.

2)we have injuries(KP,Rose, Melo) during key parts of the season when we are trying to build momentum.

3)Certain players indulge in their selfish, hero ball tendencies which makes our play more stagnant.

4)Our defense becomes progressively worse every game, partly because we couldn't grab a defensive board if our lives depended on it.

We crash and burn.

It makes so much sense now. Imagine if we had been running with a system from the get go, we could have had a much better season.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy

3/23/2017  12:05 PM
franco12 wrote:The ball stops because the players don't understand the triangle.

They don't understand the triangle because the coach has been forced to teach the triangle, and the expert triangle coach is the GM, not the coach.

Easy fix. Fire the coach, force the GM to be the coach.

We saw this play out once before with the Knicks, so there is a precedent.

Not the triangle....They don't know what they are doing. Jeff, Brandon, and KP all said they didn't even know what they were running.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy

3/23/2017  12:06 PM
OH yes and I forgot to mention Rose went AWOL as well.
The Future is Bright!
Jennings opens up,confusion top to bottom, same as kp said

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy