[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Hornacek says Knicks committing to Triangle next season
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/22/2017  6:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  6:23 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/hornacek-knicks-full-commitment-triangle-season-article-1.3005726

SALT LAKE CITY – You’re either in Phil Jackson’s "Triangle of Trust" next season or you’re not. There is no in between.

That was essentially the message on Wednesday from Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek when asked whether the core of Carmelo Anthony, Kristaps Porzingis and Derrick Rose can work.

“Obviously, if we go into it like we did this year, no,” Hornacek said.

It marked the first time that Hornacek raised the possibility that one or more of the Knicks Big 3 won’t be on the roster next season. Rose is a free agent while Anthony, who was the subject of trade talks last month, is under contract through next season but has a player option for the 2018-19 season at $28 million. Anthony also has a no-trade clause.

“We just got to make sure that however the team is next year that we continue to get guys that play as hard as they can every play,” Hornacek said without referring to any one player. “The defensive intensity needs to be picked up next year. Scoring the basketball we have guys that can do that. But do we have the right fit of guys running the system.

“If we think that we can somehow - with a fresh start of training camp and go to it right off the bat if that helps us and Phil and Steve (Mills) - we think maybe the same guys on this team could have a different outlook on it then we’ll stay the same. If not they’ll look at other guys."

Hornacek hinted that unlike last October he intends to make a full commitment to running the triangle offense, which is a system not favored by most of the Knicks including Anthony and Rose. Hornacek said “it’s possible” that Anthony, Rose and Porzingis can all be on the roster if they’re willing to embrace whatever system the team runs.

“If we turned around and had a different way, maybe we start and go right at however we’re going to run it next year, full triangle or whatever we’re going to do, it’s possible,” he added. “You never know how those things will fit.

“Maybe a second year is helpful for us. I thought we got off to a decent start this year and then we had little injuries here and there. And then we lost some close games we shouldn’t have lost and then it kind of played with our confidence, it snowballed out of control. I don’t know. It’s something we’re really going to look at.”

Hornacek, at the urging of Jackson, renewed his commitment to the triangle following the All-Star break much to the chagrin of the locker room. Two weeks ago, Jackson run a brief triangle clinic for a handful of Knicks, including Rose which suggests that Jackson hasn’t ruled out re-signing the former MVP.

On Wednesday, Hornacek agreed with Shaquille O'Neal’s assessment that the Knicks have been too stubborn about committing to the triangle.

“Most teams in this league they all kind of play the same way,” Hornacek said. “I don’t know if it’s a necessarily easier way or more fun way to play like all the other teams do. But there is something with the knowledge of when you can execute and pick teams apart if you can get to that stage it probably gives you your best chance.

“Everybody coming into next year we got to buy into the one way that we do it. We probably tried to piece too many things together this year and we could never get it together quick enough. So we’ll look at everything next year.”

The Knicks enter Wednesday’s game against the Jazz at 27-43 and headed for a fourth straight season without a playoff appearance. While the players have been stubborn about embracing the offense, Hornacek was just as stubborn at the start of training camp. He wanted to run a more free flowing offense and use the triangle on dead ball situations and after made free throws. On Wednesday, Hornacek said that was probably a mistake on his part.

“We were trying to find a balance,” he said. “We were trying to open the game up so the current players could run some of that stuff and still have the triangle set where we can get into some stuff. As it turns out it, looking back, it probably wasn’t the greatest thing to do because you’re not focused on one or the other. You’re not getting enough of the same repetition of the same play and they can make reads off it. It’s something we have to make a decision on and just go with it.”

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
USA
3/22/2017  6:21 PM
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/22/2017  6:21 PM
¿ △ ?
Tjmorris87
Member: #6468

3/22/2017  6:25 PM
Carrying the triangle in to next year might work out.. carrying Rose in to next year definitely won't. Rose shouldn't even be a consideration.
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/22/2017  6:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  6:34 PM
Are they going to pretend Hornacek is coaching the triangle walking the sidelines next year?..We all know it's Rambis behind closed doors..
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/22/2017  6:45 PM
holfresh wrote:Are they going to pretend Hornacek is coaching the triangle walking the sidelines next year?..We all know it's Rambis behind closed doors..
Yeah. Just make the move and go with what you want. At least the next gm will have at least three high lottery picks to work with.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/22/2017  6:46 PM
How about find some players who can press full court-- we score enough points
RIP Crushalot😞
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/22/2017  6:57 PM
Glad to hear that. We need to commit to system basketball.
People who don't play that system can leave or sit on bench. I am so looking forward to this draft and possibly the next one. Finally we have a GM with the balls to do what needs to be done instead of pandering to star players and fans who care more about individual players than they do about the team.

Very happy after reading this article.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/22/2017  7:00 PM
Look im not a huge triangle fan but im glass we are done screwing around and we are focusing on building a young core through the draft
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

3/22/2017  7:01 PM
holfresh wrote:Are they going to pretend Hornacek is coaching the triangle walking the sidelines next year?..We all know it's Rambis behind closed doors..

Whey wouldn't they just make Rambis the head coach then? Huge waste of money just to pay a guy millions of dollars to be a puppet.
The Future is Bright!
holfresh

3/22/2017  7:04 PM
TPercy wrote:

Whey wouldn't they just make Rambis the head coach then? Huge waste of money just to pay a guy millions of dollars to be a puppet.

Melo, KP, and Lance knows more about the triangle than Hornacek does..They have been exposed to it more..So who are we kidding..

meloshouldgo

3/22/2017  7:07 PM
TPercy wrote:

Probably because he won't be a puppet? He has played against the triangle in NBA finals and lost. He knows, understands and respects it. And may not have an issue coaching it. But yeah who cares, let's just make sh!t up and pile on Phil.

magicTs
Member: #5564

3/22/2017  7:08 PM
Prediction: Hornacek is not coaching us by the end of January 2018.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/22/2017  7:09 PM
Was Phil a "Puppet" when he had Tex as his Offensive Coach? Phil had never run Triangle and relied on Tex to teach the players until he finally mastered it. What about Defensive Coaches? Do the coaches Thibs worked for not get full credit even tho he coached the defense?

This is just more BULLCRAP!!!

holfresh

3/22/2017  7:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  7:35 PM
No one needs to make up things to dump on Phil, his record speaks for itself...
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/22/2017  7:32 PM
magicTs wrote:Prediction: Hornacek is not coaching us by the end of January 2018.
Hornacek just became 2011-12 Mike D'Antoni.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/22/2017  7:39 PM
crzymdups wrote:

If players don't buy into a system... doesn't that usually end up meaning the team is going to be a losing team? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Member: #582
3/22/2017  7:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  8:04 PM
I don't care what kind of players you bring in, they won't have a whole of respect for a coach who doesn't run his own camp and system.

Thats human nature, who wants to sign with a team with a puppet coach who can get fired for doing his own thing. who's going to play hard and respect a man that has little to no say in what the team does.

NIX don't get it twisted, phil brought Tex on his staff, Doc Brought Thibs on his staff..JH was force to put Rambis on his staff, a guy none of the players where in favor of which is why he didn't get the title HC..

It's funny how JH can sit up there and say guys didn't play hard, How hard did he go at phil and insist he run his own show, peoeple respect a stance more than yes man.

Just like phil went to dolan and said, If im in i need you hands off. If you're a yes man at work 85% of staff hates you, that's the way it is. That's why the veterans on this team don't play hard among other things Q, Lee, Melo, Rose Jennings, noah even KP. Passive coach, produce passive players. I like JH too, but he is who he is...

Phil was a HIGH IQ coach, and his teams IQ's were through the roof, JVG was a rugged coach, no nonsense coach, riley, kerr, their teams take their personality.

ES
meloshouldgo

3/22/2017  7:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I don't care what kind of players you bring in, they won't have a whole of respect for a coach who doesn't run his own camp and system.

Thats human nature, who wants to sign with a team with a puppet coach who can get fired for doing his own thing. who's going to play hard and respect a man that has little to no say in what the team does.

NIX don't get it twisted, phil brought Tex on his staff, Doc Brought Thibs on his staff..JH was force to put Rambis on his staff, a guy none of the players where in favor of which is why he didn't get the title HC..

It's funny how JH can sit up there and say guys didn't play hard, How hard did he go at phil and insist he run his own show, peoeple respect a stance more than yes man. Just like phil went to dolan and said, If im in i need you hands off. If you're a yes man at work 85% staff hates you, that the way it is. That's why the veterans on this team don't play hard among other things Q, Lee, Melo, Rose Jennings, noah even KP. Passive coach, produce passive players.

Phil was a HIGH IQ coach, and his teams IQ's were through the roof, JVG was a rugged coach, no nonsense coach, riley, kerr, their teams take their personality.

Remind me how much respect StarMelo had for Mike D'Antoni who ran his own camp and system. PLEASE???

knicks1248
Member: #582
3/22/2017  8:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/22/2017  8:19 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:I don't care what kind of players you bring in, they won't have a whole of respect for a coach who doesn't run his own camp and system.

It's funny how JH can sit up there and say guys didn't play hard, How hard did he go at phil and insist he run his own show, peoeple respect a stance more than yes man. Just like phil went to dolan and said, If im in i need you hands off. If you're a yes man at work 85% staff hates you, that the way it is. That's why the veterans on this team don't play hard among other things Q, Lee, Melo, Rose Jennings, noah even KP. Passive coach, produce passive players.

Remind me how much respect StarMelo had for Mike D'Antoni who ran his own camp and system. PLEASE???

That's why he quit, he took a fckng stance,you could repsect that, and that very same yr, melo played excellent in the olympics under the same exact system with MDA right there. Please what? don't come half way

ES
Hornacek says Knicks committing to Triangle next season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy