Shaq blames Melo, Rose and Knicks players not Triangle
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/21/2017  4:30 PM
Lots of quotes from Shaq

Best bit was this

“If you look at how the second team runs the triangle, guys who don’t have a lot of experience in the game and a lot of habits, they ran a lot of it late in the fourth quarter and got a couple of backdoor plays,’’ O’Neal said. “It definitely does work. Look at the guys, when Phil put this team together, I was liking it: Porzingis, Carmelo, Rose, [Joakim] Noah. I said, ‘OK, it’s going to work if they embrace the triangle. I like it.’ But again, the ball can never stop
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/21/2017  4:32 PM
More from that article

Even with Jordan, my favorite clip with him is playing Utah, and Michael said, ‘I keep getting doubled,’’’ O’Neal said. “Steve Kerr said, ‘Kick it to me, I’ll be open.’ So I have three championships because of the triangle and also because of Derek Fisher, “Big Shot Bob’’ [Robert Horry] and Rick Fox. Because of the triangle, they were able to be involved in the offense. When you got a guy who holds the ball, nobody’s moving the ball, everything is out of whack.’’

https://www.google.ca/amp/nypost.com/2017/03/21/shaq-blames-knicks-players-for-failing-phil-jacksons-blueprint/amp/

holfresh
Member: #1081

3/21/2017  4:41 PM
But no one mentions that Kobe and MJ was taking 25/28 shots per game going ISO in the playoffs...
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/21/2017  4:44 PM
holfresh wrote:But no one mentions that Kobe and MJ was taking 25/28 shots per game going ISO in the playoffs...

ISO is also a part of how the Triangle is setup but it's in a structured way that the rest of the team knows what to do. Great players don't need systems but having a system makes it easier for the role players to be involved and know what to do.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/21/2017  4:46 PM
nixluva wrote:
holfresh wrote:But no one mentions that Kobe and MJ was taking 25/28 shots per game going ISO in the playoffs...

ISO is also a part of how the Triangle is setup but it's in a structured way that the rest of the team knows what to do. Great players don't need systems but having a system makes it easier for the role players to be involved and know what to do.

Agreed. Obviously Melo is nowhere near Shaq/Kobe/MJ in terms of being a complete player but when the ball sticks all the time then any system would fail
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:47 PM
So ISO is ok for MJ and Kobe and not Melo..Ok
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:48 PM
And Shaq never singled out Rose...Never..Thats a lie...
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/21/2017  4:49 PM
Passing the ball out of double teams is not unique to the Triangle. Ewing did that all the time here. So did Olajuwon - that's how he beat us.

I think the mesh of players was wrong... but also the game has changed and evolved to include a lot more spacing. Players have evolved to cover that spacing more quickly. The average team score in an NBA game when Shaq won his last Triangle ring (2002) was 95ppg. This year it's 105ppg. The league evolves - perhaps it is cyclical and the Triangle will be able to win games at some point in the future. But right now, the league favors teams that play with pace and space. The Triangle slows these Knicks down too much, and the spacing is too tight. Multiple guys on the Knicks and around the league have said so.

Perhaps it was the mix of players that was wrong. But again, Phil specifically chased this mix. A lot of league pundits roasted his move to get Rose... and it did backfire.

I think the Triangle COULD win if it adapted. But it NEEDS to be adapted. I was hoping Hornacek was the offensive mind to do it, but he basically just ditched it and went with a pick and roll offense. I think if the Triangle was adapted to include greater spacing, and maybe set up more quickly... it could work. It is just a system of sharing the ball. BUT. That said, I REALLY think the SPACING needs to be addressed. Guys being 18ft apart doesn't work anymore. It needs to be tweaked in certain sets. The Knicks are very often too tightly bunched together. Maybe that's familiarity, but if you look at spacing of even the championship triangle Lakers vs today's Warriors and Cavs and Spurs teams, the Lakers are way more tightly packed together.

¿ △ ?
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:49 PM
He said on one particular play that Melo was playing within the triangle when he went ISo and penetrated...But I saw MJ and KObe do it all the time!!!
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/21/2017  4:50 PM
nixluva wrote:

Phil himself wrote that the system kinda goes out of the window in the fourth quarter... That said, the opponent spends all game making adjustments, whatever superstar teammates aren't standing around because they've been involved, and then all of a sudden there is tsunami that gets unleashed in the 4th. Then when Kobe, MJ or whoever gets doubles within the last two minutes, those role players rise to the occasion because they aren't cold and built up their in-game confidence

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/21/2017  4:51 PM
holfresh wrote:So ISO is ok for MJ and Kobe and not Melo..Ok

Does your head ever get out of the sand? Seems like you refuse to even contemplate that there is another possibility out there.

When Melo gets the ball, unless it's pretty much a sight-line assist, he holds and jab-jab-jab dribble-dribble-dribble, watch everyone watch him cause everyone else knows he won't move the ball or move himself.

Does it means ISO NEVER happens? No. It's about the when and where and how the ball and players are moving.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:52 PM
Who cares anyway...Organization won't recover from this for a long time...We will be a lottery team for the next few years...So we need to acquire talent...Hope we find a qualified GM to do the job...
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2017  4:53 PM
martin wrote:

Does your head ever get out of the sand? Seems like you refuse to even contemplate that there is another possibility out there.

When Melo gets the ball, unless it's pretty much a sight-line assist, he holds and jab-jab-jab dribble-dribble-dribble, watch everyone watch him cause everyone else knows he won't move the ball or move himself.

Does it means ISO NEVER happens? No. It's about the when and where and how the ball and players are moving.

MJ and Kobe never jab stepped?????..Where did Melo get it from then???

we don't have the talent, you can't compare apple and oranges...

StarksEwing1

3/21/2017  4:53 PM
holfresh wrote:Who cares anyway...Organization won't recover from this for a long time...We will be a lottery team for the next few years...So we need to acquire talent...Hope we find a qualified GM to do the job...
I don't think it will take that long. I agree that next year we will probably be in the lotto but I'm very happy we are doing the right thing for a change and building through the draft and adding pieces around that young core
holfresh

3/21/2017  4:54 PM
We suck...MJ and Kobe played with hall of fame players...
blkexec
Member: #748
Melo in his prime, was a probem....just like kobe and MJ. The issue is melos game and leadership style is not the same as those guys. And speaking from experience, when ur star player is also one if the best defenders, teammates will play hard. As melo gets older, it's hard to figure out which position he can guard. Blake destroyed him. Quick players frustrated him. In fact all three of our stars are a liability on defense. That's the issue.....Its not the number of ISO plays.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
StarksEwing1

martin wrote:

Agreed Martin.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/21/2017  4:55 PM

Don't you remember Kobe not shooting at all one game because he got tired of hearing the same thing? there is a fine line between being featured and not involving your teammates. We've all played with the the guy who is constantly calling his number, everyone checks out mentally, and you've got to wait five games to get back on the court

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
holfresh

Phil won 37 games when Kobe was the only star...You need talent...
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
holfresh wrote:Who cares anyway...Organization won't recover from this for a long time...We will be a lottery team for the next few years...So we need to acquire talent...Hope we find a qualified GM to do the job...

And you accused me of being childish? The organization can recover quite well from not having Melo or Rose for that matter. They no longer play winning basketball. They're net negative players and they kill team play. These are the facts.

Shaq blames Melo, Rose and Knicks players not Triangle

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy