[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Were headed to the lottery for 3-5 years
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/21/2017  1:15 AM
I would say unless we get Ball or some kind of different miracle-- were are bound to rebuild regardless of Jim Dolan wanting to or not. We have an older Carmelo Anthony and a whole lot of holes
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

3/21/2017  1:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2017  1:31 AM
I was just saying 2-3 years of lottery ball is in our future..But we need a GM with a plan..We need perimeter players in this perimeter league..Better defenders..

I saw JCraw blow by Ron Burgandy..It reminded me one guy was there on talent and the other is there on hustle...You need talent in this league..
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/21/2017  1:43 AM
holfresh wrote:I was just saying 2-3 years of lottery ball is in our future..But we need a GM with a plan..We need perimeter players in this perimeter league..Better defenders..

I saw JCraw blow by Ron Burgandy..It reminded me one guy was there on talent and the other is there on hustle...You need talent in this league..

Nope you're off-- good teams have talented players who play hard

RIP Crushalot😞
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/21/2017  1:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2017  2:00 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
holfresh wrote:I was just saying 2-3 years of lottery ball is in our future..But we need a GM with a plan..We need perimeter players in this perimeter league..Better defenders..

Nope you're off-- good teams have talented players who play hard

Of course you have to play hard..What team do you see winning without playing hard..Boston plays hard and will always fall short in the playoffs because everyone plays hard in the playoffs..They don't have the talent..

Bulls used to play hard during the season with Thibs..They fell short in the playoffs because of lack of talent..Hard play is a given...
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/21/2017  4:23 AM
We need at least 2 years of the lottery. You can't project 3 to 5 years ahead because it completely depends on who you draft- pointless. We might draft 2 all stars in a row, we might draft 2 bums. I can understand this thread if it was "I'm worried we'll suck for the next 5 years", but you've changed it in to a statement of fact (anxiety creates its own reality)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/21/2017  5:10 AM
smackeddog wrote:We need at least 2 years of the lottery. You can't project 3 to 5 years ahead because it completely depends on who you draft- pointless. We might draft 2 all stars in a row, we might draft 2 bums. I can understand this thread if it was "I'm worried we'll suck for the next 5 years", but you've changed it in to a statement of fact (anxiety creates its own reality)

Bingo..

KP is 21... If he's 26 and we're still in the lottery then we really ****ed up. The Knicks have to get lottery gems the next 2 years. Phil has stockpiled alot of youth as is. If we can continue i.e. this path and sort out the good from the bad we'll be ready for the next wave.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/21/2017  6:54 AM
Here is my problem with Phil. I think it's safe to say he expected the Knicks to compete this year. He wasn't merely wrong, he was wildly wrong.

We need a GM who can better judge what we have, and what we need.

We are probably definitely looking at the lottery the next 2 years at a min. We need a GM who understands that and plans accordingly.

I know you as a coach and player can't play to lose, but GM is a different game. Fourth and long deep in your end, it's ok to punt, and that is what we need our GM to see and do.

EnySpree

3/21/2017  7:19 AM
franco12 wrote:Here is my problem with Phil. I think it's safe to say he expected the Knicks to compete this year. He wasn't merely wrong, he was wildly wrong.

We are probably definitely looking at the lottery the next 2 years at a min. We need a GM who understands that and plans accordingly.

I know you as a coach and player can't play to lose, but GM is a different game. Fourth and long deep in your end, it's ok to punt, and that is what we need our GM to see and do.

He tried and failed at winning now. He did not fail at stockpiling youth. He's got to finish off his contract and then we can evaluate what to do next. We expect to be in the lotto this off season and ther next. That coinsides with that plan... so we all just need to chill and enjoy this. It's never been done before. Id hate to miss this journey crying

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
franco12
USA
3/21/2017  7:28 AM
EnySpree wrote:
franco12 wrote:Here is my problem with Phil. I think it's safe to say he expected the Knicks to compete this year. He wasn't merely wrong, he was wildly wrong.

He tried and failed at winning now. He did not fail at stockpiling youth. He's got to finish off his contract and then we can evaluate what to do next. We expect to be in the lotto this off season and ther next. That coinsides with that plan... so we all just need to chill and enjoy this. It's never been done before. Id hate to miss this journey crying

He tried and failed, but it wasn't close. He badly misjudged talent and how it would fit together.

If Dolan could bring someone in that could say - like Briggs thread - we're 3-5 years away, lets plan for that and act accordingly- then he has to make that move.

I'm not sure Phil believes we're that far away.

Why else do you bring in a pair of FA that are on the wrong side of 30?

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/21/2017  7:39 AM
I think we're in the lottery next year, but the difference is I hope it's without Melo and Rose.
Let KP become the man and see what it's like to have to face all the heat.
Give Willy more touches in the paint as a roller and post up guy.
Lets get a young guard in the draft and allow him to run the team, even if inconsistently.
Lets keep vets like Thomas, Lee, Noah who are good mentors, play hard on defense and don't complain about their shots.
Install a good culture next year, where ball movement, defensive effort is the two main traits.

No problem with me if a KP/Willy/2017 lotto pick led team is 25-57 after 82. We'll be back in the top 5-6 of the draft, and get another crack at a big young talent. Then we are also in the position where we could make a trade for an all star on the move because we'd have 4 really good asets for a potential trade like that in KP, Willy and 2017+2018 draft picks.

The major thing for us is to get a Melo trade without taking back a bad contract.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/21/2017  8:54 AM

if you are so convinced at how good he thought this team would be why didnt he build it up? He could have traded future assets to take this to the next level. He didnt. You know why? He's a much smarter GM than you give him credit for.

You think Phil thought this would compete? Why? Because he said so? Is that why he had 5 rookies on the roster? Because he was convinced this team would compete? You guys come to these conclusions than say them over and over until you think they are true.

Phil's FA offseason was to give Melo his chance to play with some better talent and probably show Dolan the only path to rebuilding this is with young coachable players.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
USA
3/21/2017  9:22 AM
fishmike wrote:

if you are so convinced at how good he thought this team would be why didnt he build it up? He could have traded future assets to take this to the next level. He didnt. You know why? He's a much smarter GM than you give him credit for.

You think Phil thought this would compete? Why? Because he said so? Is that why he had 5 rookies on the roster? Because he was convinced this team would compete? You guys come to these conclusions than say them over and over until you think they are true.

Phil's FA offseason was to give Melo his chance to play with some better talent and probably show Dolan the only path to rebuilding this is with young coachable players.

He picked up Rose, Noah & Lee & Jennings.

He basically had no choice but to fill the remaining spots with rookies because he had already maxed out his cap space.

Who are these great rookies Phil brought in to build the future with? Ron Baker? Kuz? Randle? Those three are borderline NBA players, and would be sitting on the bench on better teams.

I know I don't know what Phil was thinking. But I think it is reasonably to assume that as a GM, you don't hand out 4 year deals to Noah & Lee if you're thinking they'll be great for the kids. Sorry, Herb Williams is around.

You don't trade Lopez who has played every game for, in essence, two players that barely played 82 between them last year in Noah & Rose.

You don't bring in Rose, and then change your mind because, well, he doesn't fit the triangle. Phil is not paid $12M a year to rely on hindsight.

So while I don't know for sure what Phil was thinking, he sure acted and traded out like he thought things were going to be way better.

Because if you thought we were going to end up in the lottery, he could have saved $50M by not acquiring Rose, Lee & Noah and achieved the same results.

Look, his gamble was SO BAD, I have to question his judgement.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/21/2017  9:34 AM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

He basically had no choice but to fill the remaining spots with rookies because he had already maxed out his cap space.

Who are these great rookies Phil brought in to build the future with? Ron Baker? Kuz? Randle? Those three are borderline NBA players, and would be sitting on the bench on better teams.

I know I don't know what Phil was thinking. But I think it is reasonably to assume that as a GM, you don't hand out 4 year deals to Noah & Lee if you're thinking they'll be great for the kids. Sorry, Herb Williams is around.

You don't trade Lopez who has played every game for, in essence, two players that barely played 82 between them last year in Noah & Rose.

You don't bring in Rose, and then change your mind because, well, he doesn't fit the triangle. Phil is not paid $12M a year to rely on hindsight.

So while I don't know for sure what Phil was thinking, he sure acted and traded out like he thought things were going to be way better.

Because if you thought we were going to end up in the lottery, he could have saved $50M by not acquiring Rose, Lee & Noah and achieved the same results.

it really wasnt. Those are just your feelings. Lee is a good player. No GM gets it right every time. Jerry West screwed up drafts. Uriji gave Demar Carrol $15mm a year. You are expecting Phil to make every perfect move and it just doesnt work that way. What makes good GMs is they dont double down on mistakes they move past them. What makes good GMs is when they do fail or have a bad year they focus on adding and developing young talent.

You can cry about how Phil THOUGHT this would be a contender and how terrible his judgement is. We are also a few months from the draft and despite missing first rounders in 2 of the last 3 draft and despite Phil's all in and win now mode we continue to add young players.

And no... Phil did NOT "have" to add rookies. There are plenty of older veteran players that know the league and needed jobs. Phil chose prospects and guys they thought they could develop.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree

3/21/2017  9:37 AM
franco12 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

He tried and failed, but it wasn't close. He badly misjudged talent and how it would fit together.

If Dolan could bring someone in that could say - like Briggs thread - we're 3-5 years away, lets plan for that and act accordingly- then he has to make that move.

I'm not sure Phil believes we're that far away.

Why else do you bring in a pair of FA that are on the wrong side of 30?

But it wasn't close? What does that mean? Missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs... there are 6 teams worse... Brooklyn doesn't even have a pick and they have the worst record. Should their management be shot?

We are already on a 5 year plan. We did draft KP and Willy... Randle and Baker. Plumlee is war and Ndour. We still are expecting a lottery pick this year and next. What more do you want? We are already rebuilding...

Noah and Lee are good pick ups. Phil likes what Noah brings off the court. Lee is also a valuable vet. You need vets during a rebuild. Someone has to help set the example.

It's all crying for nothing.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/21/2017  9:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/21/2017  10:12 AM
smackeddog wrote:We need at least 2 years of the lottery. You can't project 3 to 5 years ahead because it completely depends on who you draft- pointless. We might draft 2 all stars in a row, we might draft 2 bums. I can understand this thread if it was "I'm worried we'll suck for the next 5 years", but you've changed it in to a statement of fact (anxiety creates its own reality)

Alt-Briggs? HA.
For what is worth, i like this version better, since he seems to be talking about rebuilding.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/21/2017  9:57 AM
Can we just get real here? Melo is not playing at the same level he was in the past and if your top player is going to fall off and in addition not do things like pass the ball and defend then you're going to fail. IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!! Add in Rose who is similarly bad and it's hard to overcome that with a team full of younger and developing players. We needed more from the Vets and it didn't happen. Great players can carry their teams and we don't have any great players that can do that at the moment.

Heck if we had a Jason Kidd type it would've made a huge difference. We need a Guard that has that kind of impact on the entire team!!! We could also use a SF who is also capable of passing the ball effectively. Not to mention needing more good defenders. It's going to be a process for Phil to bring in more athletes and dynamic players but he's got Picks and should be able to do it.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/21/2017  10:01 AM
franco12 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

He got Rose for peanuts, Jennings on a one year 5 mil deal. Noah and Lee might not be leading us to the playoffs but are still quality veterans to have on the team. Well in theory anyway don't know if they actually lived up to there reputations. Their skill sets fit Rose and Melo perfectly. Lee: 3&D, low usage efficient shooter. Noah: defense, intangibles, rebounding, amazing passer. These aren't illogical moves in terms of fit. This isn't like what the Bulls did adding Rondo, Wade and Butler with none of them being known of their shooting and spacing capabilities. And all of them being ball dominant players.

The reality is that cap space isn't going to mean anything to us for the next couple of years. Just like it hasn't meant anything for us over the past 2. We can have 100 mil in cap space. Nobody of note is coming here through FA. Even with the salaries given out we will have 23 mil in cap space this off season. Which again will mean nothing other then to maybe eat a contract for a pick or 2.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/21/2017  10:08 AM
No matter what the next 3-5 years bring, i can almost guarantee next year won't be any worse than this year record-wise. Without Rose and Melo, we will become a better defensive team with much better ball movement. I don't think we will be as bad as some think. Definitely not getting a top 5 pick next year.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/21/2017  10:11 AM
EnySpree wrote:

Yeah, at the very least he gave us flexibility. Rose sucks, but he is only here for a year. Not really a big deal in the long-term. The team still needs to sell tickets and Rose did create buzz early on. I think it freed up Phil to start planning long-term w/o James breathing down his neck. I think it also frees us up in terms of draft strategy. We can truly look at the best player available, instead of reaching based on position.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/21/2017  10:27 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Yeah, at the very least he gave us flexibility. Rose sucks, but he is only here for a year. Not really a big deal in the long-term. The team still needs to sell tickets and Rose did create buzz early on. I think it freed up Phil to start planning long-term w/o James breathing down his neck. I think it also frees us up in terms of draft strategy. We can truly look at the best player available, instead of reaching based on position.

The last time we had 2 Knick drafted lotto picks on the team was Danilo Gallinari and Jordan Hill. (Yeah I know I proposed trading the pick for Porter but I was just going over options. And I would still do it if he proves to be more valuable then the available pick)

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Were headed to the lottery for 3-5 years

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy