[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Draft experts who is the best attacking guard in this draft to pair with KP/Willy?
Author Thread
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

3/20/2017  6:42 PM
Lets just say I have a bias towards us getting an attacking ballhandling guard or a point guard in this draft. I see positives and negatives in all the scouting reports on Monk, Smith, Frank (international kid from France) and others.

Ball/Fultz are not happening unless we somehow move up and land within the top 2. So now, realistically after them, who is the best guard to pair with KP/Willy over the next 3 years.

No hate in this thread for KP/Willy. We assume KP/Willy are 2 core players and we are fully investing in them (Whether Willy comes off as a 3rd option 6th man off the bench, KP starts at 5 and moves to 4 sometimes, is to be determined).

My question is basically after Ball/Fultz, how do you all rank the guards?

I like Monk's outsude shooting and quick drives. He looks like an easy fit in the Tri and next to KP/Willy. But he's not a creator for teammates. Lots of downers on Monk, so maybe I should change my opinion of him.

The french kid Frank, he has real potential. But he can't shoot from outside which is a must. Mudiay was a player I had similar concern about, If you can't shoot from ourside (see Rose) it's a liability in today's NBA.

What are your rankings for guards after Ball/Fultz?

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/20/2017  7:28 PM
I've read that the Euro guard has improved his J. The key word is "read." I'll need to see more video of him before I can have a strong opinion. I don't see Monk as ever being a pure playmaker. But all we need is "game manager" type who can hit a J. Monk's defensive intensity needs to improve big-time tho. There's a part of me that says that there's no reason that we have to go guard of it's not ball or fultz. This rebuild is going to years and I don't see the urgency to reach if we don't see what we want in this draft.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/20/2017  7:36 PM
I'm no draft expert, but I think Fox would be my top pick once Ball and Fultz are off the table.

I think he can be something between Rondo and Wall - his numbers at UK are very similar to Wall's. He'd need to be developed a bit, but the form on his jumper is good and his release is quick. He's stepped up and dominated in big games and is probably the quickest guard in the draft - definitely the most speed of the lotto-range guards.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/20/2017  7:38 PM
I like Frank Ntilikina, too, but have seen a lot less. If our Euro scouts really like him, you'd have to give him a long look. I wonder if the Knicks have sent their excellent Spanish scout, Kevin Wilson I believe, over to France to scout him.
¿ △ ?
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/20/2017  7:46 PM
I think the really interesting question is if we are picking 4th or 5th and both Tatum and fox are available - who do you take?
I think right now Fox is way better than Monk
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
crzymdups
USA
3/20/2017  7:53 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I think the really interesting question is if we are picking 4th or 5th and both Tatum and fox are available - who do you take?

My preference would be Fox, but Tatum seems promising and I'd be curious.

¿ △ ?
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/20/2017  8:18 PM
crzymdups wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I think the really interesting question is if we are picking 4th or 5th and both Tatum and fox are available - who do you take?

I like Tatum's upside more than Fox, but I think he will have more of learning curve figuring out his game as an NBA wing. Also, im not sure if has the flexibility to handle more than spot minutes as an NBA 2. Flexibility is a key in today's game. Fox will have a learning curve too, going from Calipari's offense (if you want to call it that) to the triangle. But I also feel he'll have an easier adjustment to the speed and intensity of the NBA. Triangle aside, I'm really worried about the jumper. That's the only nagging thing that has me second guessing him as a pick. In the top 5. For every John Wall, there are plenty of Sebastian Telfairs who could never find their range in the NBA.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

3/20/2017  9:13 PM
crzymdups wrote:

Fox can't shoot

crzymdups
USA
3/20/2017  9:25 PM
I
ekstarks94 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Fox can't shoot

His form is decent and he's been making them in games. He definitely needs some work. His field goal percentage is higher than John Wall's was at UK

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/20/2017  9:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/20/2017  9:38 PM
I think Phil will have a huge thing for Ntilikina. He is 6'5 with a near 7 foot wingspan. Pretty athletic. That would on paper look like a player who could be a good two way player, a defender, not just an offensive player.

Interesting to see where Ntilikina is rated on the Knicks draft board. Wouldn't shock me if he winds up in their top 5.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/20/2017  9:47 PM
We won't really know for sure until we start to see combine and pre draft videos.

I'm overwhelmed actually.... I could make a case for at least 10 players. That's a good thing. I can't wait till the lottery. At least then we'll pretty much know who we well have available to us.

We seriously can't lose.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/20/2017  10:04 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:I think Phil will have a huge thing for Ntilikina. He is 6'5 with a near 7 foot wingspan. Pretty athletic. That would on paper look like a player who could be a good two way player, a defender, not just an offensive player.

Interesting to see where Ntilikina is rated on the Knicks draft board. Wouldn't shock me if he winds up in their top 5.

The Knicks foreign scouts are probably all over this kid. We may not have good info but the Knicks scouts will have a very good idea of his actual talent level.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/20/2017  10:35 PM
The best offensive guard after the top two is probably Dennis Smith Jr. He may be a taller Dam lillard
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/21/2017  12:29 AM
I think fox, monk, and ntilikina can all be great fits for different reasons. I have a little concern with Smith being a lot like rose, but I really like the other 3 as far as fit.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

3/21/2017  12:42 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:The best offensive guard after the top two is probably Dennis Smith Jr. He may be a taller Dam lillard

Easily the best offensive guard. I can't find anything wrong with his game.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

3/21/2017  12:56 AM
Knixkik wrote:I think fox, monk, and ntilikina can all be great fits for different reasons. I have a little concern with Smith being a lot like rose, but I really like the other 3 as far as fit.

I can see how the Smith and Rose comps can be made as both players are freakish athletes with an injury history. However, Smith is a more willing and capable shooter than Rose was in college.
The Future is Bright!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

3/21/2017  1:02 AM
If the guy we pick cannot defend they make the lives of Willy and KP miserable.

If you want those two getting worn out trying to cover for a bad perimeter D, pick someone who can shoot but not play D.

I'll take Fox or the Frenchman at this point- guys who can direct an offense and play D, as well as play some offense.

Just saying...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
crzymdups
USA
3/21/2017  1:04 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:If the guy we pick cannot defend they make the lives of Willy and KP miserable.

If you want those two getting worn out trying to cover for a bad perimeter D, pick someone who can shoot but not play D.

I'll take Fox or the Frenchman at this point- guys who can direct an offense and play D, as well as play some offense.

Just saying...

Yeah, I agree completely.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
3/21/2017  1:58 AM
TPercy wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:The best offensive guard after the top two is probably Dennis Smith Jr. He may be a taller Dam lillard

Easily the best offensive guard. I can't find anything wrong with his game.

This may be completely unfair, but something about him reminds me of Steve Francis and that makes me not want him.

¿ △ ?
rpknicks
Member: #6003

3/21/2017  2:53 AM
Good thread. I think first of all that boston is going to entertain offers for #1 but they will eventually take josh jackson not any of the PG's. that means someone is going to slide and it will probably be Ball to LA, Fultz to Phoenix and then either philly, orlando , sactown or us on the clock. This is where the tank comes in as we want to be here so we can choose between Fox , smith, the french cat and monk , not having to settle for what the other 4 teams want. I see monk right now as a ridiculous scorer who can't really fail in the nba unless his head is off like JR smith, whose game he reminds me of... so he might work as our pick and I am sure if he proves he can run a team in workouts, he will move up the draft board. He is the best shooter coming out in a long time...as a freshman he hung 47 on a strong north carolina team and he still has 2 weeks to show what he can do in the tournament Smith from Nc state is nice but something just seems missing, a lot of game but not the intangibles to lead. How can't he get his team into the ncaa for example? The french guy is going to be there for us no matter how much we tank and I have to think the knicks are going to scout him so heavily that they will be speaking french fluently pretty soon. Could he be another porzingis type player who looked a little funky on tape but just kills it in workouts? Questions about his toughness and aggressiveness have to be answered.

And that leaves D'aaron fox. I really don't want to support Kentucky INC , the nba factory, the let's not even pretend we are student athletes university...but my pick would be this man. There is just something about how he moves on the court that is rare. He runs like a soccer player, never tired and can accelerate past when he wants to. He is always moving forward and can get to any spot, great body control with a developing floater, and will be a menace on D. Heart looks there too as he seems to take over at the end of games. The knock is that he can't spray 3's yet but his shot doesn't look broke, like rondo, for example. He is lean but that kind of strong lean that will get scary when you put him in the weight room for two summers. You put him with KP, who draws people away from the hoop, that lane will be wide open and this guy doesn't need much room anyway.

Now you may say that is what we have in rose right now. But rose doesn't seem to look for people like fox does and he can't guard anybody so for every point he scores, he gives up a pair on the other end. The bigger question is who on the knicks can really run with fox? Not melo, who probably won't be here on July 1st. Lee, KP, Willy, sure, sort of, but we still need to find younger SF/SG 's who can keep up with a guy like fox. I don't know if we get them in the 2nd round of this draft , FA , or in a trade for melo but the only reason to draft a velociraptor like fox is to put him up with a herd of them who can run together.

Draft experts who is the best attacking guard in this draft to pair with KP/Willy?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy