[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Do we really need to draft a star pg to run the triangle or should we draft a more glaring hole at the sg position
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

3/17/2017  1:27 PM
I think we should go sf or sg unless we score the number 1 pick obviously you can't pass up
On drafting the next magic johnson/ j Kidd ... but say we are drafting # 7 and monk is their or Josh Johnson I think you have to go with one... before the draft we need to find out if melo will waive his no trade clause ...

Next year if melo waives his NTC

Baker,Randle,second rounder
Monk,lee,randle
Pj tucker,lance
Willy,oquin
KP,Noah,plumlee

That is a roster that can compete in today's NBA ... no ball hogs pass and hit open jumpers and run a offense through our big men...

Baker and pj are lockdown defenders both are capable of hitting the open shot or making the right pass on offense ...

We need to realize baker is a perfect glue triangle pg ala Ron Harper... he'll knock down open jumpers if he has to or run the triangle and make the right pass or play to set up... there is a reason all of his witchata state teams were top 4 in the nation... everyone loves playing with Ron and trying to match his intensity on defense. He's one of if not the smartest high iq basketball players on this team... he is a big part of our future, what a find by Phil he is the best udfa signing since John starks .

KP,Willy,monk all can score and cause big mismatches that's all the offensive firepower this team
Needs for now the more focus we give KP on offense the better he's going to get, same can be said for Willy

Lee is not a starter but he is a great bench player who brings energy on both ends... his game esp on defense really suffers as a starter, he also is non existent on offense for long stretches of the game with the ball strictly in Melos or roses hands.

And If that team loses a lot we get another top pick in next years draft... id also be curious to see what players will say about rose and melo after they are gone ...

Today's NBA is all about team offense and passing... the days of individual take overs all game long are over in today's NBA ... melo ball is dead, team basketball is very much alive with small spurts of individual performances but the takeover is a team effort of finding the open man or open lanes ...

I don't watch to much college basketball so maybe there are better options for the shooting guard we so desperately need

Who are they let me know?

AUTOADVERT
JrZyHuStLa
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1241

3/17/2017  2:02 PM
Who is Josh Johnson? You mean Josh Jackson?

He won't be anywhere near available at 7.

We need the best player available.

Thanks.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/17/2017  2:05 PM
PG, SF and SG will all be available for this team in this draft. We won't have to reach in order to address those needs! If the Knicks stay in the range they are very good options will be in play.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

3/17/2017  2:19 PM
JrZyHuStLa wrote:Who is Josh Johnson? You mean Josh Jackson?

He won't be anywhere near available at 7.

We need the best player available.

Thanks.

yea josh jackson. I agree to take the best player available and i feel monk will be there at 7

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/17/2017  2:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2017  2:24 PM
no we don't need a star PG... it's just that everyone that pays attention to college hoops realizes there's a surplus of talented PGs available and all the SGs that are available are not lotto picks, unless you want to count Malik Monk as a SG
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/17/2017  2:33 PM
If we trade Melo, likely it will be to the Clippers for Rivers, so he would be an adequate PG- takes the pressure off when we come to pick as then we don't HAVE to draft a PG. Rivers should actually be quite a good fit in the triangle, but if we draft a pg we can slide him to SG, or play him off the bench.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
3/18/2017  11:30 AM
Over the year you will notice one thing the triangle had to thrive was a sg that was GOAT. I don't see the formula changing to success. I would draft a SG/PG combo type player. That is what Phil had in the past and should go about doing the same again. That is why I'm hoping for a tall PG/SG type player in the draft. As for PG you need a capable defender, bring the ball up get out in break and hit his shots type player, Harper/Fisher/Armstrong type player.

If he Knicks can land either Ball, Jackson, Fultz or Ntilikina it would be ideal to go forward. Also I really like Hart from Villanova. I wouldn't see a problem going forward with Randle as the PG. He is a capable defender, gets out in the break and hits his shots and isn't averse to playing triangle basketball.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

3/18/2017  11:49 AM
I always say draft the best player avaliable. Now obviously drafting a stud pg would be ideal but get the best talent/upside player
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/18/2017  12:55 PM
We can't start planning like Melo will waive his NTC. He is too fukking selfish to do it, not to mention stupid. We may have to see him take away PT from our young guys again next year. This is what happens when your team is at the mercy of weak minded selfish jerks that think they are "stars". There is really zero motivation for him to leave. All he cares about is Melo. It's NOT about winning for him. As much as I hate to think about it he will most likely stay.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2017  1:04 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:We can't start planning like Melo will waive his NTC. He is too fukking selfish to do it, not to mention stupid. We may have to see him take away PT from our young guys again next year. This is what happens when your team is at the mercy of weak minded selfish jerks that think they are "stars". There is really zero motivation for him to leave. All he cares about is Melo. It's NOT about winning for him. As much as I hate to think about it he will most likely stay.
It is what happens when the guy that gives him his contract doesn't know what he is doing.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/18/2017  1:16 PM
Moving out of the upper tier I like Dillon Brooks for Sg. He's 6-7 225 athletic tough plays both ends he's a good team player a leader played for a great college team-- his 40 min production is as good as anyone in draft-- per over 27 hard for a guard to achieve
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/18/2017  1:29 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I always say draft the best player avaliable. Now obviously drafting a stud pg would be ideal but get the best talent/upside player

Definitely draft best player available- we need a few visits to the lottery, and we kind of need everything.

nixluva
USA
3/18/2017  1:33 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:We can't start planning like Melo will waive his NTC. He is too fukking selfish to do it, not to mention stupid. We may have to see him take away PT from our young guys again next year. This is what happens when your team is at the mercy of weak minded selfish jerks that think they are "stars". There is really zero motivation for him to leave. All he cares about is Melo. It's NOT about winning for him. As much as I hate to think about it he will most likely stay.
It is what happens when the guy that gives him his contract doesn't know what he is doing.

How about personal responsibility to the player? Melo stepped back from being more of a facilitator as he showed last year. He's not giving max effort. To get the contract he did should've motivated him to do all he can to live up to that contract!!! No one would be talking about Melo leaving if he was giving max effort and being the team player and leader he should be!!!

VCoug
Member: #1406

3/18/2017  1:57 PM
As always, there are holes all over the roster. We are in no position to be drafting for need. Whoever the best player left is when we draft is the guy we should take.
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2017  2:10 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

How about personal responsibility to the player? Melo stepped back from being more of a facilitator as he showed last year. He's not giving max effort. To get the contract he did should've motivated him to do all he can to live up to that contract!!! No one would be talking about Melo leaving if he was giving max effort and being the team player and leader he should be!!!

He's older. I think you could predict his decline. No one is facilitating on the Knicks right now. KP on the offense,
Porzingis said. "A lot of times it's -- especially one on one -- whoever it is, myself, Carmelo [Anthony], Derrick [Rose], Courtney [Lee], we try to make something happen and that's not how it's supposed to be. It's very random."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18895941/new-york-knicks-kristaps-porzingis-says-there-confusion-top-bottom-organization
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/18/2017  2:53 PM
Lonzo Ball is not a P&R player. He's a triangle PG
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

3/18/2017  5:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

He's older. I think you could predict his decline. No one is facilitating on the Knicks right now. KP on the offense,
Porzingis said. "A lot of times it's -- especially one on one -- whoever it is, myself, Carmelo [Anthony], Derrick [Rose], Courtney [Lee], we try to make something happen and that's not how it's supposed to be. It's very random."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18895941/new-york-knicks-kristaps-porzingis-says-there-confusion-top-bottom-organization

Excuses always at the ready for Melo. SMH
Then again he has never actually given max effort, so I guess it's ok for him to slack off so Phil can take the blame. Glad we are moving from this loser, whether he stays or goes.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
nixluva
USA
3/18/2017  6:30 PM
fishmike wrote:Lonzo Ball is not a P&R player. He's a triangle PG

Yeah I was noting this when I watched the game. He gives it up early and often gets the Hockey Assist that leads to the assist. He's a very different kind of guard. I bet Phil is salivating over the idea of possibly getting him or at least Gaines is salivating LOL. It's gonna take some luck but I think he'd be right at home in this system.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/18/2017  6:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2017  6:54 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:Lonzo Ball is not a P&R player. He's a triangle PG

Yeah I was noting this when I watched the game. He gives it up early and often gets the Hockey Assist that leads to the assist. He's a very different kind of guard. I bet Phil is salivating over the idea of possibly getting him or at least Gaines is salivating LOL. It's gonna take some luck but I think he'd be right at home in this system.

Lakers want him bad and are doing everything in their power to get him.
I can't see us get him unless we somehow move up.
And his dad is annoying as hell. Not sure I'd even think he's worth the headache of his father.

Draft the best talent available. Develop the player well. Do like we've done with KP and Willy. Give them an opportunity right away and give them confidence. We've done really well with keeping both of them rolling.

Hoping whomever is there at 5, 6, 7 or 8, will be someone we can pair with KP/Willy together.
I think Malik Monk is BPA after top 4, Kid has 22+ ppg a night potential in the NBA. Good looking shot. Explosive drives at the basket. Moves well off the ball. Problem is not a real point.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

3/18/2017  7:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2017  7:14 PM
If we move Melo to the Clippers for Rivers/Crawford/#1 pick and Crawford/#1 goes to a third team as a salary dump, that allows us to get Rivers, maybe draft Monk. If we drafted a player like Monk and paired him with Rivers, Rivers is one of the few players who has SG size with PG handles and skill. So in which case you could get away with a player of Monk's size who isn't really a poiny guard, despite PG size. Then you'd also have more capspace having shed some of Melo's deal and also allowing Rose to walk.

Willy/O'Quinn/Noah
KP/Thomas/Kuzminskas
SF/Holiday
Monk/Lee
Rivers/Baker/Randle

Would have like 35$ million in space to add a starting SF, some bench talent. Make a FA push for Gordon Hayward, Otto Porter, Gallinari,
Or lesser names like Kyle Korver and Patty Mills.

We're not doing anything earth shattering. Just get good solid players that fit into the system and allow the young players to grow. Say what you want about Jose Calderon, Joakim Noah and Lance Thomas type of players, they don't stop young players from devloping and are good mentors/locker room guys. That's what we need around KP, Willy, 2017 lotto pick, whomever we trade Melo for, and other young developing players like Holiday/Baker/Randle/Kuz.

Even this team while likely a 30 win team wouldn't upset me because it'd keep us in the 2018 lottery allow young players to develop.

Noah/Hernangomez/O'Quinn
KP/Kuzminskas/Thomas
Korver/Holiday
Monk/Lee/Baker
Rivers/Mills/Randle

Do we really need to draft a star pg to run the triangle or should we draft a more glaring hole at the sg position

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy