[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Men's Basketball Olympics Fiasco
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/16/2004  1:54 AM
I still don't know why JJ Reddick wasn't asked to play. From what I've seen he shoots like 50% from college 3, which is essentially this, and he routinely steps it up in big games. Could he have been invited?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/16/2004  4:35 AM
Posted by islesfan:

IMHO the problems that the US team are having is exactly what awaits the Knicks this season.

come on playa, this is BS. I thought that one day you'd get tired of posting such non sense stuffs.
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/16/2004  9:25 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I still don't know why JJ Reddick wasn't asked to play. From what I've seen he shoots like 50% from college 3, which is essentially this, and he routinely steps it up in big games. Could he have been invited?
yes, they can invite anyone...
MS
Member: #724
8/16/2004  9:57 AM
I would have liked to see players that don't get the respect they deserve be named to this team because it doesn't mean anything to those selected. There are already 6-7 non all-stars on this team, and to see Lamar Odom say "Were not embarrassed" sums up why his career has been a bust up until this past year in Miami.

PG Bobby Jackson/Billups/Marbury
SG Iverson/Michael Redd
SF Melo/KVH
PF Wallace/Boozer
C Duncan/Miller

That team has shooters BJ, Billups, Redd, KVH, and pretty strong de at every position other than SF.
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
8/16/2004  8:01 PM

I don't think I've ever seen that expression on AI's face before.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/16/2004  8:59 PM
Tim Duncan looks like a darker and constipated version of Stone Cold Steve Austin in that picture. Classic. Allen Iverson has got to be one of the ugliest human beings ever. He looks like a woman. An ugly one at that. What's worse is that this good looking girl at work thinks he is hot.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/16/2004  9:18 PM
Posted by ToddTT:

lol,yeah....we not talkin about practice either
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/16/2004  10:44 PM
Posted by ToddTT:

Thats ****ing hillarious.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/17/2004  3:54 AM
Team USA takes its lumps, but ...
... blowout loss to Puerto Rico fell far short of 'embarrassment'
Updated: Tuesday August 17, 2004 12:36AM

Stick a fork in them. Or maybe a trident. Here come today's probable headlines:

The Dream Is Over!

Nightmare!

Wake Up Call!

Everyone just calm down for a second. So Team USA lost. My main man Chris Sheridan from The Associated Press described it best when he wrote that the USA losing to Puerto Rico was "an upset as historic as it was inevitable."

Because really, did anyone not see this coming? Every columnist with a pulse has chimed in on this over the past three weeks, especially after Team USA lost an exhibition to Italy. Surely no one believed this team would win every game by 40 points. With the rest of the world improving exponentially, Team USA eventually was going to lose an Olympic basketball game.

And yet last night Stuart Scott tagged the loss a "national embarrassment." Right. We Americans aren't going to be able to show our faces overseas for months now! Thanks a lot, Team USA! Whatever shall we do?

I generally appreciate hyperbole, but it wasn't an embarrassment. An embarrassment would be Team USA losing by 20 points to a WNBA team. Calling a loss to Puerto Rico embarrassing is denigrating the Puerto Ricans, who nearly beat Team USA last summer in Madison Square Garden. (The only reason Team USA won that game was Ray Allen, who rained down 30 footers to keep the USA ahead.)

While it wasn't embarrassing, it was disappointing. Because our team, the team we wanted to win, lost. It's not the end of the world. They just lost, and it was to a very good team that was red hot, shooting 56 percent from the field and nailing 50 percent of their 3-pointers. Meanwhile, the only U.S. player to shoot above 50 percent was Lamar Odom, who fouled out after 15 minutes.

While we realize that Team USA could use an outside shooter or six, we can't blame the team's deficiencies on the guys who chose to play. They showed up, at least. Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal, Allen, Tracy McGrady ... all these guys watched the game from home yesterday on NBC.

But then there's Larry Brown. Those who follow the NBA have no doubt heard Brown constantly talk about playing basketball "the right way," which basically means he wants guys to pass the ball and then pass it some more, and then once more for good measure. During Game 3 of the NBA Finals, I was sitting close enough to hear Brown chew out Darko Milicic for taking a single shot out of the flow of the offense during the closing seconds of a blowout Pistons win.

That tact works in the NBA because when Brown yells at you late in a game in November, he'll still be around in May to keep you on the bench. With the Dream Team, it's one month and done. You can't accuse these guys of tuning Brown out because they never bothered to tune in.

This Olympic team needs a coach who can be fluid, who will stress defense almost exclusively and let the points come in transition, someone like Rick Carlisle or Jerry Sloan. If you don't produce, you don't play. Brown is obviously a great NBA and college coach, but for this team, he's a weird fit.

(This team also needs Ron Artest, who would give a hard foul and can shut down anyone from a point guard to a power forward. We need more guys who are working on country-and-western songs with people named Doris in their spare time. )

Before you dump dirt on Team USA's grave, hold the shovel. We lost. We play again Tuesday. If we lose every game in the tournament, I'll be embarrassed. But if we get it together and come back and win the gold -- and I never count out a club with Tim Duncan -- I'll be proud of this team.

But embarrassed? Nope. Well, unless that whole WNBA thing happens.

[Edited by - raven on 08/17/2004 03:55:08]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  2:24 PM
imo, this team needs players like Mike Bibby & Sam Cassell...PG's who can orchestrate AND shoot the ball consistently from midrange...that would free up the pick & roll plays alot more & the back cuts & alley oops would come easier as well...i think having guys like Iverson & Marbury who thrive more on penetration & getting to the foul line leading this team is a big part of what is hurting them because the international game doesn't seem to translate well w.that type of game...but obviously the lack of defensive effort is the main reason why this team is getting embarassed by clearly inferior teams...it's like watching the Knicks play.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/17/2004  2:50 PM
Posted by TMS:

imo, this team needs players like Mike Bibby & Sam Cassell...PG's who can orchestrate AND shoot the ball consistently
You just need *some* jump shooters. It doesn't matter what position they're at; any shooters would be helpful. A healthy Kurt Thomas at PF would be helpful because he can hit the 16 foot jump shot. Doleac at C would be helpful. Allan Houston (if healthy), Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Rip Hamilton at SG would be helpful. The PGs you mentioned would also be helpful (and in all fairness Bibby was invited).
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/17/2004  3:13 PM
These guy's are not nearly as smart of players as dream team 1 & 2. While those 2 teams had a host of ( soon to be hall of famers) these last 2 teams have maybe ( 2 0r 3 ) combine.

NBA players maybe has talanted as hell, but are not smart to say the least. Ill-advise shots and awful perimeter defense is what 80% of the nba teams consists of.

This is and AND 1 team without the fancy dribble and ally oopps.
ES
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/17/2004  4:27 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:

imo, this team needs players like Mike Bibby & Sam Cassell...PG's who can orchestrate AND shoot the ball consistently
You just need *some* jump shooters. It doesn't matter what position they're at; any shooters would be helpful. A healthy Kurt Thomas at PF would be helpful because he can hit the 16 foot jump shot. Doleac at C would be helpful. Allan Houston (if healthy), Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Rip Hamilton at SG would be helpful. The PGs you mentioned would also be helpful (and in all fairness Bibby was invited).

yeah, i know he was invited...i was just saying players like him would complement this roster well...we could also use some players like Dirk Nowitzki, Yao Ming, Peja Stoyakovic, Steve Nash & Tony Parker too.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
8/17/2004  5:51 PM
You know what, I don't care what anybody says, Team USA should be downright embarrassed!
They got beat by PR and they barely beat Greece.
Let's put this into perspective. Not only are we talking
about an American game, but these two countries are TINY!
4 and 10 million citizens respectively! How can they produce
atheletes to compete against a pool of 300 million citizens?

This team is seriously flawed.
And I don't care if they don't have the 5 best players in the NBA.
They shouldn't need them to beat PR or Greece.

[Edited by - panos on 08/17/2004 17:54:05]
Men's Basketball Olympics Fiasco

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy