[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Men's Basketball Olympics Fiasco
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/15/2004  6:43 PM
This is mostly all on the USA BBall Olympics Selection committee.

Why can't any NBA'ers shoot anymore? strange...
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/15/2004  8:14 PM
im sorry but i put this on the shoulders of the coaches again.

im sorry but if you look at this team the strength is in the athletiscm and power.

when you have Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudemire and Emeka Okafor play a COMBINED 13 minutes

and let steph iversen jefferson control a ton of minutes you are not going to play as well. The NBA game is has and will always be predicated on power inside. We have to make up for our outside shooting by powering the ball inside continuosly to open up better shots if they need to kick out.

When i saw the starting line up of duncan odom jefferson stpeh and iversen i knew we were in trouble from the start of exhibition 1.

remember these NBA coaches have just as big ego's as the players. when larry brown says play the right way he expects that they will adhere to playing in your face D and having it work every time. it wont because its impossible to sustain and how the international game is called.

Bottom line 2 of those 4 guys HAVE to be on the floor at all times---we should ONLY take a small % of 3 point shots and the rest continue to pound inside--opportunistic on breaks and pounding the glass. we havent done that, we are arrogant+sloppy. the rest of the world can scre off by the way becase if put a line up of

C SHAQ
PF Wallace
SF KG
SG McGrady
PG Kobe
C Duncan
PF Boozer
SF Carter
SG Allen
PG Hamilton we would win every game by 20+
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/15/2004  8:27 PM
I was starting to agree with you until I saw Rip Hamilton listed as a PG. The best thing you could do would be to never ask Rip to play even one second at PG
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/15/2004  8:29 PM
I would love to say the same thing, but no matter who the coach is, how can a team of these players loose. I mean you have Duncan, Iverson, Marbury on it. Thats some of the top players right there. The rest are not bad either. The only way I can explain this is with lack of effort. And the fact that all of the NBA players you listed refused to play for there country is just pathetic.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/15/2004  8:46 PM
Posted by simrud:

I would love to say the same thing, but no matter who the coach is, how can a team of these players loose. I mean you have Duncan, Iverson, Marbury on it. Thats some of the top players right there. The rest are not bad either. The only way I can explain this is with lack of effort. And the fact that all of the NBA players you listed refused to play for there country is just pathetic.

iverson and marbury are top players but not a good fit for an olympic team. it's all about the right pieces fitting together dude, stop lambasting the freakin' individual players and realize that it's not b/c we're not fundamentally sound, but it's b/c we have too many players whose style don't translate well in international type play. iverson and marbury are two of them, as well as RJ, amare, wade, etc...

this isn't charles barkley making fun of the nigerian team man. it's 2004 where euro guys are getting drafted WAY ahead of anybody here so accept the fact that the talent gap is minimal at best.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 08/15/2004 20:47:29]
simrud
USA
8/15/2004  8:52 PM
If you say that the Puerto Rico team had minimally less talent then us, then fine, I just can't agree with that. This team has by far more talent then any other team out there. It is a matter of opinon of course, but in my opinon they just don't try hard enough, because with all that talent, they should be blowing teams out, at least the wosrse teams, such as Puerto Rico. This was not even Argentina, Lithuania, or the Yugos.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/15/2004  9:10 PM
I blame the selection committe they chose poorly. This team needed player that can hit the shots when open and compliment 3 or 4 superstars. For instance:
Billups/Hinrich g
Redd/ Brent Barry sg
Duncan/Miller c
Marion/Wally/Anthony sf
R. Wallace/Boozer pf
Lenard zone busters

Caseloads
Member: #41
8/15/2004  9:12 PM
Posted by simrud:

i agree with that... the effort and game plan is awful. we have to play to our strengths, but we cant try to dunk over everybody, like jefferson and wade try to do. just wont work.

by the way, i went to an ivy league university and now an ivy league med school.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/15/2004  9:14 PM
what happen to honor thy country? does it really come down to show me the money ?
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/15/2004  9:16 PM
IMHO the problems that the US team are having is exactly what awaits the Knicks this season. Both teams are put together very poorly with too many me-first players who don't play well within the confines of a team. Their players can't function without the ball on offense which causes stagnation with players just standing around waiting for someone to make a one on one move.

On defense there aren't enough players willing to play defense much less learn to play team defense where they help each other. That's going to be a huge problem for the Knicks this year, especially if they don't sign Dampier.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
simrud
USA
8/15/2004  9:27 PM
I dunno if any coaching can make these players play hard. I mean if representing your country at the Olympics is not enough, then Larry Brown should just retire, these players do not deserve him as there coach. Speaking of our previous conversation, I prolly should not have called you a retard, sorry for that I was just mad at the freaking US team. But honestly, is it really important whether there/their is spelled correctly on a basketball forum?
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
8/15/2004  9:44 PM
It isnt just lack of fundamentals and teamwork, Team USA does not have any leaders period. I dont care if it is Iverson spewing obsceneties during press conferences somebody has to step up and lead this team!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/15/2004  9:55 PM
Posted by islesfan:

IMHO the problems that the US team are having is exactly what awaits the Knicks this season. Both teams are put together very poorly with too many me-first players who don't play well within the confines of a team. Their players can't function without the ball on offense which causes stagnation with players just standing around waiting for someone to make a one on one move.

On defense there aren't enough players willing to play defense much less learn to play team defense where they help each other. That's going to be a huge problem for the Knicks this year, especially if they don't sign Dampier.
LOL! I was wondering how long it would take you to create a connection between USA's bad game today and the Knicks' future. I thought you'd be quicker than this
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/15/2004  10:04 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

LOL! I was wondering how long it would take you to create a connection between USA's bad game today and the Knicks' future. I thought you'd be quicker than this
There is one huge difference netween the Knicks and Team USA which is why I think Team USA will be fine this year. Team USA does not have Allan Houston.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/15/2004  10:28 PM
0 need for pGs. Each unit has playmakers who move the ball and have sevral guys who can bring it up. You could substitue Mike Bibby for RIP because he has a fluid shot and the ability to drive. But with rip you have another long 6-7 player who would help thwart perimeter shooters. Dream team had guys from multiple positions moving the ball. Iversen is not a PG[although when he tries to play like a PG he couldbe out there} Marbury is just not made for this international game, hes been awful almost every game. With rip you have a guy who can shoot the rock, move the ball bring the ball up and provide length on D--but again Mike Bibby is a very good choice. The only guy who deserves to play on the first team is duncan.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/15/2004  10:36 PM
hahahahahahahaha @ Silverfuel
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/15/2004  10:46 PM
I just got home and I can assume we got spanked by puerto Rico? For christ sakes, I don't know what to say about this team, when you put this type of talent on the floor, you should not lose at all..

Does this mean that gold is out of the question?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/15/2004  11:09 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

I'm glad to see that you can see the similarities as well.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/15/2004  11:40 PM
Posted by tkf:

I just got home and I can assume we got spanked by puerto Rico? For christ sakes, I don't know what to say about this team, when you put this type of talent on the floor, you should not lose at all..

Does this mean that gold is out of the question?

we can still get the gold
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
8/16/2004  12:45 AM
Maybe its just me, but I think this loss will benefit the team and its players in the long run.
Men's Basketball Olympics Fiasco

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy