This game is making me SICK
Author Thread
mattinNH
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #695
8/15/2004  5:51 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by technomaster:

20 ft is closer and would seem to be easier--- but fact is that NBA players don't EVER practice at that range! They'd be better off shooting a step behind the 3pt line.

good point

I've thought about that, but I'm not sure that should matter. If they did have a problem with it, I think a couple games would be more than enough to get acclimated to the new 3 pt line.

I mean, if it's moving from the international 3 pt line to the nba one, I can see how that might be a problem, but nba players shoot 20 footers all the time.

There was just something wrong with them all today. They missed 10 footers, they shot airballs, they missed wide open baskets right next to the hoop.
AUTOADVERT
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
8/15/2004  6:23 PM
Larry Brown just said on channel 4 that he has asked marbury to play different than he usually does, that he asked marbury to make sacrifices and marbury has done that so all these people that are bashing marbury should stop cause he is being the ultimate team player
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
8/15/2004  6:32 PM
i think we all need to take it easy.

it's obviously apparent that the rest of the world has caught up talent wise to the united states. and at some times, have excelled in other areas like you all mentioned, teamwork and fundamentals.

the problem with us is not the talent. the problem with the US is that we don't have a team with pieces that fit. there really isn't any reason why RJ AND the matrix are BOTH on this team, let alone on the same court at the same time. secondly, there's only one point guard and he's not even in there down the stretch. marbury has sacrificed ALOT yet it's wade that's in there while iverson runs the point. there aren't enough two-way players nor any jump shooters. so, don't start chewing out the players, start questioning the the selection committee for putting this bunch together.
NYK3
USA
8/15/2004  6:40 PM
the problem with us is not the talent. the problem with the US is that we don't have a team with pieces that fit. there really isn't any reason why RJ AND the matrix are BOTH on this team, let alone on the same court at the same time. secondly, there's only one point guard and he's not even in there down the stretch. marbury has sacrificed ALOT yet it's wade that's in there while iverson runs the point. there aren't enough two-way players nor any jump shooters. so, don't start chewing out the players, start questioning the the selection committee for putting this bunch together.

I AGREE
NYK3
USA
8/15/2004  6:42 PM
Does anyone know who's on the selection committee?
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
8/15/2004  8:08 PM
Posted by NYK3:

Larry Brown just said on channel 4 that he has asked marbury to play different than he usually does, that he asked marbury to make sacrifices and marbury has done that so all these people that are bashing marbury should stop cause he is being the ultimate team player

Why does Marbury get a free pass? The one player on Puerto Rico that the US team couldn't stop was their PG. Marbury was part of the problem since he couldn't D him up when he was on the court.

Marbury's sacrifice was to take fewer shots and be more of a traditional PG who gets everybody involved in the offense. Obviously the offense was very spotty so that falls on Marbury too. Just look at Arroyo if you want to see a PG who can score and involve his teammates at the same time.

As much as some of you would like to believe, I don't place the blame for this loss on Marbury but on the entire USA basketball. The organizers who put the team together, the coaches and the players. Marbury certainly doesn't get a free pass.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/15/2004  8:19 PM
Marbury's changed for whatever reason from being a pass-first PG, which worked very well in the NBA, to a pass-only PG in the olympics unfortunately. Marbury may have been following orders but he still gets one-twelfth of the blame for the loss like all the other 11 players
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/15/2004  8:31 PM
Stop giving Marbury a free pass because he is a Knick. The man sucked. Even if Brown asked him to change his style to accomodate the team its very obvious he isn't a pure PG who can change his way of playing. That mean he can only play one way which is a big deal because a pg should be able to change his playing method and adapt it to the game at hand its seems Marbury doesn't have the capacity to change.

Personally I think all the player on the USA team except for Duncan suck. They are all one on one play ground chumps who don't have a clue to the fundamantals of what basketball is all about. As for Marbury his effort is piss poor especially on defense there is no reason Arroyo should be getting by him and lighting him up the way he did. Lets be honest here none of these chumps asides from Duncan really belongs on this team and that goes for AI who has been exposed for the fraud he is.
Bonn1997
USA
8/15/2004  8:33 PM
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/15/2004  8:36 PM
Thank you Vmart, as much as I love Marbury, as the starting PG he takes the major part of the blaim for this debacle.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
djsunyc
8/15/2004  8:41 PM
i went to the US/puerto rico game last year at msg, and guess what, arroyo schooled us then also and that was against jkidd and before his rookie season so let's take it easy on bashing marbury on the defense, ok.

nothing good can come of this for marbury from the media and fans. usa wins, it's almost like it's despite of marbury, if usa loses, then he takes the brunt of the blame b/c he's the starting point guard. to that, i saw a big "whatever".

what is good though, is that he definitely is learning as he already stated and will become a better player b/c of it b/c of larry brown.
djsunyc
8/15/2004  8:42 PM
Posted by simrud:

Thank you Vmart, as much as I love Marbury, as the starting PG he takes the major part of the blaim for this debacle.

right, a MAJOR part when he's not even playing the last 10 minutes of the freakin' game. a coaching blunder if you ask me.
Bonn1997
USA
8/15/2004  8:45 PM
Marbury deserves blame, but he doesn't deserve more blame than the other PGs (Iverson and Wade). They all guarded Arroyo today and couldn't handle him. The rest of the team played bad defense and deserves blame too
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/15/2004  8:50 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by simrud:

right, a MAJOR part when he's not even playing the last 10 minutes of the freakin' game. a coaching blunder if you ask me.

I don't know if it was a blunder or that LB was putting Marbury out of his misery. Marbury has no defensive presense at all. What bothers me more than anything is not the 2 points he scored but the 1 lousy assist that he had in some 22 minutes of play. He is the only freakin' point guard on this team and he manages 1 lousy assist.
islesfan
8/15/2004  8:56 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by simrud:

The US played some of their best ball in the last quarter before P.R. extended the lead with 2 minutes left.

The US PG's are going to take the most blame because they couldn't get the offense going and couldn't stop Arroyo.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
simrud
USA
8/15/2004  8:59 PM
I'm just worried about the Knicks now, considering that Marbury can't lead a bunch of allstars to a victory over a vastly inferior team, how is he going to lead the Knicks, who are at best equal to some of the best teams out there in the NBA to victories?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/15/2004  9:04 PM

What you saw today is syptomatic of what is happening with the NBA.

Darious miles is outraged he was only offered 5.6 mil, and the kid can;t shoot.

Our plyaers are some of the best athletes in the world, but they are not basketball players first. We need role players and a TEAM!

islesfan
8/15/2004  9:05 PM
You honestly think that at best, the Knicks are equal to some of the best teams in the NBA???
mattinNH
Member: #695
8/15/2004  9:08 PM
Posted by simrud:

I'm just worried about the Knicks now, considering that Marbury can't lead a bunch of allstars to a victory over a vastly inferior team, how is he going to lead the Knicks, who are at best equal to some of the best teams out there in the NBA to victories?

I wouldn't be that worried. Knicks have shooters. And it's not a team that just got thrown together into a mix. Plus, as we've seen, the NBA game and the international game is different.

Marbury will be fine for us. I felt he was doing ok last year.
simrud
USA
8/15/2004  9:18 PM
Nah man I just meant that they at best have a chance to match the talent levevl, and in no way surpass it.
This game is making me SICK

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy