[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If we can't get Dampier...
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/14/2004  1:31 PM
What would you give up to try to get Theo Ratliff? I think he's a very underrated center because he's a HUGE shotblocking presence on D (about FOUR blocks a game).
How about Penny, Nazy, Moochie, and $3 mil cash for Ratliff, D. Anderson, and Ruben Patterson? They save $14 mil over three years, but that might not be enough to get Ratliff. I'm sure they'd like to replace D Anderson and Ruben with Penny who is better and has a contract that expires a year earlier and Moochie's contract also expires a year earlier than DA's and Ruben's.

(Or if they are more concerned with money than winning, you could replace Penny with Shandon and they save an extra $8 mil over three years.)

AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/14/2004  1:45 PM
No more than KT and Moochie....Portland really doesn't need anything we have...

However, He is a FA at the end of the year, so I highly doubt Portland will trade him....
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
8/14/2004  2:09 PM
Posted by joec32033:

No more than KT and Moochie
Is the trade I proposed more or less than KT and Moochie? I think it's less because KT is better than any of the players I proposed we give up.

He is a FA at the end of the year, so I highly doubt Portland will trade him....
Portand has been desperately trying to get rid of DA and Ruben Patterson. Getting rid of those guys might offset the fact that they're losing one nice expiring contract
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
8/14/2004  2:44 PM
if we can't get dampier, we should get sit tight and see how the season unfolds.......lets not rush. let it be said for strategy just in time rasheed wallace was pure genius.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/14/2004  3:14 PM
i've had my eye on him too. only problem is he's not the inside presence we lack (offensively). but damn, what a shotblocker at only 6'10.
Bonn1997
USA
8/14/2004  5:13 PM
Posted by Bobby:

if we can't get dampier, we should get sit tight and see how the season unfolds.......lets not rush.
I don't mind that plan, but if we can get a center who gives us 4 blocks a game without giving up a crucial part of our team, I'd do it right away.

i've had my eye on him too. only problem is he's not the inside presence we lack (offensively). but damn, what a shotblocker at only 6'10.
I've had my eyes on him too. He's played his heart out for many years but he's never gotten recognition because he hasn't been on good teams. I wouldn't be too surprised if he took a small paycut next year when he's an FA and signed with the Knicks for the MLE.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/14/2004  6:42 PM
I would be surprised if he took a small paycut and played for the Knicks. If he has a healthy season he should get a big contract next year, if the market is half as good as it was this year.

I don't really think Portland is in the "save money" mode, and don't think they ever are. They are owned by one of the richest guys in the US, and why would they trade their starting C so they could save a relatively small amount of money (they'd probably still be over the cap, depending on the contracts of Miles and Randolph).

Just don't see them trading their starting C so they can save money, when they've never been concerned about money. Also, can the Knicks really do this? I know they get a big man, but they'll have so many enormous contracts at SG (Houston, Crawford, Shandon, Derek Anderson) and SF (Tim Thomas, Ruben Patterson). I just don't see how the Knicks can pay 6 players, all very similar, boatloads so they can get a one-dimensional C who can block shots.

Just sign Keon Clark, he's cheap and is almost as good as Ratliff.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 08/14/2004 18:45:47]
#Knickstaps
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/14/2004  7:11 PM
Portland has been looking to cut salaries over the last year or so- and they have cut their bloated payroll quite a bit.

I think they're going to be rebuilding- but taking some of those bad contracts off their hands wouldn't be such a bad deal for them- that's not such a bad deal- they get Nazr who's not such a bad offensive center

timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/14/2004  7:11 PM
any one know how good the FA will be next year as opposed to this year?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/14/2004  7:17 PM
Posted by timmyTtop:

any one know how good the FA will be next year as opposed to this year?

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php

just pick the year you want to check.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/14/2004  8:07 PM
"Portland has been looking to cut salaries over the last year or so- and they have cut their bloated payroll quite a bit.
I think they're going to be rebuilding- but taking some of those bad contracts off their hands wouldn't be such a bad deal for them- that's not such a bad deal- they get Nazr who's not such a bad offensive center"

I don't think they were rebuilding as much as remaking their image. They were filled with lunatics, sex offenders, head cases, and drug users two years ago. They've gotten rid of some of those guys (Rasheed, Kemp, etc.)

The fact they get Nazr, who you say is "not such a bad offensive center" is kind of moot since they get 20 and 10 from Randolph and don't need any scoring, and the defense from Ratliff is actually just what they need. They don't need to cut contracts when they're getting rid of Abdur-Rahim, Stoudamire, and Ratliff after this year. If they are rebuilding they're practically done, they got Telfair, Miles, Woods, Monya and Khrapa (the two Russians), and Randolph. That's a legit point, 4 good perimeter guys, and a legit 20/10 big man. The only thing they don't have is a defensive presence inside, which is exactly what Ratliff is.

Then they're going to trade him for a bunch of spare parts so they can save money when they'll already be saving money (they'll be at a reasonable payroll when Damon and Abdur-Rahim walk after this year). On top of all that a player they're trading is Derek Anderson, who is the team captain and locker room leader? It just doesn't make sense any way you spin it. They don't need this trade.
#Knickstaps
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/14/2004  8:09 PM
Theo fits in Portland next to Zack so he will be resigned.....

I wish you guys would leave Theo out of the discussions.

Portland is expected to dump alot of salary next year with Theo, Shareef, Damon and Nick supposed to all be coming off the books....that's 3 max contracts and a almost max.......jeez louis.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/15/2004  12:09 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by joec32033:

Is the trade I proposed more or less than KT and Moochie? I think it's less because KT is better than any of the players I proposed we give up.

He is a FA at the end of the year, so I highly doubt Portland will trade him....
Portand has been desperately trying to get rid of DA and Ruben Patterson. Getting rid of those guys might offset the fact that they're losing one nice expiring contract

I think the trade you suggested was alot more than KT and Moochie...Penny and Nazr can be very servicable subs.....plus they're contract are leaving with them....IMO, it is too much..

Also, I disagree about Patterson and DA. Granted Port is trying to get rid of them, but what do we need DA and Patterson for? DA will be like a 5th guard and Patterson, while Patterson may be servicable as a SF, he may not get alot of time...you think he'll be happy with that?
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
8/15/2004  3:06 AM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by joec32033:

I think the trade you suggested was alot more than KT and Moochie...Penny and Nazr can be very servicable subs.....plus they're contract are leaving with them....IMO, it is too much..

Also, I disagree about Patterson and DA. Granted Port is trying to get rid of them, but what do we need DA and Patterson for? DA will be like a 5th guard and Patterson, while Patterson may be servicable as a SF, he may not get alot of time...you think he'll be happy with that?
The point of the trade is to get Ratliff; I don't care if DA and Ruben rot on the IR
If we can't get Dampier...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy