Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/13/2004  9:57 AM
http://www.news-daily.com/articles/2004/08/12/sports/sports2.txt

Sex & drugs: the athlete's kryptonite

By Jeffery Armstrong
Sex and drugs.

If there is anything in this world that brings down more athletes, especially pro athletes, it is sex and drugs.

If an athlete isn't getting into trouble via having non-consensual sex (according to the victim), he is busted for some sort of drug use n and these drugs aren't meant to cure Excedrin Headache No. 5. The situation with football players Ricky Williams of the Miami Dolphins and former UGA quarterback Quincy Carter of the Dallas Cowboys is another example of how athletes are so addicted to this mess.

Last year, I wrote a column about how I don't understand the need for drugs. What good is being high when you're going to come down from it eventually? Getting high isn't going to stop bills from having to be paid and if you're upset about something, it won't go away when you're high.

Now sex is another story. Whew, where to begin on that one. I guess I'll start with myself.

I was on vacation last week and I traveled to Dallas to visit some of my high school classmates whom I hadn't seen in nine years. On Sunday, all of us were exchanging stories about what crazy things we did when we were younger and yes, many of those stories had to do with sex and women.

My friend and classmate Bobby Pace said something that stuck with me the whole day. He said all the crazy things we did years ago were in the name of chasing women and sex. And I guess that's the deal with all these male athletes n they just have to chase women and do drugs. And do you notice that when these athletes overdo one or both, they end up worse than they were before? It's sort of like Superman once he encounters some deadly kryptonite.

Athletes have known from day one that women are attracted to them and that some women will literally throw themselves at these guys for sex. What's sad is that very few athletes have the willpower to turn them down. There are so many athletes who have been hurt by too much sex and drugs, from Magic Johnson to Lyle Alzado to Kobe Bryant, and it doesn't seem like things will change anytime soon.

What's crazy is that athletes succumb to these two temptations at the worse possible moments. What was Quincy Carter thinking to take drugs during NFL training camp?? Why couldn't Kobe Bryant wait to get back home and be with his wife?

Perhaps one of the worst examples of an athlete abusing sex and drugs before a big moments was the case of former New York Knicks guard John Starks in the 1994 NBA Finals.

Starks had a monster Game 6 in the Finals, scoring at will and nearly leading the Knicks to a series-clinching win over the Houston Rockets. Instead, the Rockets won 86-84 to send the Finals to Game 7. Starks had an ugly Game 7, however, missing 16 out of the 18 shots he took and the Rockets went on to win the NBA championship.

I lived in Houston at the time and one of my co-workers told me that this gold digger she knew managed to find Starks the night before Game 7, have sex with him and fill him full of cocaine. I was surprised, but not really shocked. Unlike Superman, many athletes want to be around the kryptonite.

Jeffery Armstrong is a sports writer for the Daily and his column appears on Thursdays. He can be reached at jarmstrong@news-daily.com.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/13/2004  10:03 AM
"one of my co-workers told me that this gold digger she knew"

Yea.. because *THATS* a solid source of information. Cmon... hey, anything could have happened your better off NOT quoting a source than actually using that one.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/13/2004  10:07 AM
the sad thing is these athletes know they are targets, and yet they still fall prey, but what needs to happen is one of these lying so called victims needs to be made an example, extortion is against the law.. How many regular people you know, I mean accountants, lawyers, Doctors, etc end up in court after consentual sex, getting sued for millions? None that I know of.. The fact is that these women seek these men out with a plan to get rich by any means necessary... I remember a case with Nick Anderson from the magic, Nick is a good guy and family man, he was on TV crying his heart out because he was being accused of raping a woman, come to find out the woman, dropped the charges and admitted to lying about the situation, as far as I know he didn't even sleep with the woman..... This crap has to stop, but I do agree that the players have to be responsible... and that is the bottom line!!

[Edited by - tkf on 08/13/2004 10:08:22]
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/13/2004  10:08 AM
found that funny too.

my friend told me that his mother knew a man that heard that a doctor...

but at the same time, i remember reading magic's book a few yrs ago, and he did some very dumb things so, why starks would not this one ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/13/2004  11:19 AM
Starks was no angel by any means and very little stories about his discipine being that great.

Im glad they drug test now.

Yeah, in the face such pressure some blow and bootie is a nice way to unwind. I would not be surprised if it happend not just to John, but to any player.

I would be the first to admit in the late 80's and into the 90's I would have done the same thing.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/13/2004  11:41 AM
my brother's plumber knows a guy & according to him, his wife's friend's sister has a 2nd cousin who knows a guy who works for the Knick's front office, so you know my source is reliable.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/13/2004  11:47 AM
heh, I bet there is some good lines about Dolan Blow... a mix of Dolan doing coke in the 80's and a take-off of the Colon-Blow cereal thing from SNL.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
8/13/2004  11:55 AM
I can't believe I'm hearing these types of allegations. Don't you all know that being great at sports makes a person completely perfect and able to resist even the strongest temptations?
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/13/2004  12:03 PM
FUBAR.

Imagine all that sex happening in Athens these next two weeks. The Gold Medal winners are the ones that abstain?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/13/2004  12:17 PM
In todays papers H20 comments that he will mentor Craw as others, including Starks had memtored him./;

And we all know Allan is the biggest boyscout this side short of Doug Christie!
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
8/13/2004  1:11 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Yeah, in the face such pressure some blow and bootie is a nice way to unwind.

Damn straight.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
don't know if this is true, hope it's not

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy