[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: Houston wants to be a "mentor" for Crawford
Author Thread
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
8/14/2004  8:21 PM
Let's start with Houston helping Crawford with the plays, maybe places to eat and places to talk his wife/girlfreind around town... but you're right... He can't teach him anything (sarcasm)
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/14/2004  8:23 PM
if you think Crawford cant learn from Houston you dont know basketball... sorry to say.

Crawford has a great midrange game?

Right now Crawford's game is penetrating off the dribble and launching 3s. He's not good away from the ball or shooting off screens. Man.. watch that 99 video again and dog Houston some more. People have some short memories.

Has Crawford ever played winning basketball? Talent schmalent. Everyone in the NBA has talent, and Crawford has a lot to learn between the ears
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/14/2004  8:32 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

The Changing of the Guards, literally.
If we can change the guard from Allan Houston to anyone else I will be happy. I still think he will do more harm in teaching Craw how to do anthing. And also, I dont think Houston learned anything from Starks. No heart, no passion, no defense, no drive to the hoop, no ferocity and obviously no 'THE DUNK'.

Just like he cannot learn anything, he cannot teach anything. H2O and his contract is the worst thing that could've happened to the Knicks.

Well for a laugh.....John Starks had "The Dunk", while Houston had "The Shot"......

If Crawford doesn't start it would be a shame......Houston does nothing but score anyway so what better thing to have him come off the bench as instant offense....He's gonna have a really wack stat line next seaosn if his minutes fall below 30. He's gonna average 13pts, 1 reb, and 1 assist.

I can't see why Craw can't average 15, 4, and 5 at the very least.

As far as the Iverson comparison? nah man dude's game is more of a Eddie Jones on Xenadrine.....meaning Eddie Jones just twice as quick.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/14/2004  8:38 PM
Posted by fishmike:

if you think Crawford cant learn from Houston you dont know basketball... sorry to say.

Crawford has a great midrange game?
OK!! YOU GOT ME!! HOUSTON CAN TEACH CRAWFORD A MID-RANGE GAME!!! ISN'T THAT SLIGHLY F**KING DIFFERENT THAN BEING A MENTOR?

Do not insult me and say I dont know basketball if you cannot read even slightly into what I am saying!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Silverfuel
USA
8/14/2004  8:44 PM
Will you be able to honestly advise Crawford to accept Houston as a Mentor? Wouldn't you rather he pick someone like STEPHON MARBURY? Even someone who has more experience and at one time had talent and used it like PENNY HARDAWAY?

Don't read my posts on the surface and argue with the words I choose. Just so I can make it clear and spoon feed: Yes Crawford can learn a thing or 2 from Houston. But he can learn a lot more about the game of basketball from Stephon and Penny. THATS A MENTOR.

I have no problem with someone telling me I am wrong but you being up something and use extreme words like 'I dont know basketball?' Come on, do you really think Houston is the best mentor for Crawford on the Knicks?

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 08/14/2004 20:46:32]
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
8/14/2004  10:10 PM
Sheesh. We sure can get our panties in a twist this time of the year. Baseball season sure is rough isn't it?
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/14/2004  10:13 PM
I think Houston would be a great mentor for Crawford. Houston has proven that he can win in NBA and be an allstar 2 guard. Marbury is an allstar quality player and so is Penny. But neither of those guys made it as a 2 guard. Allan is the best 2 guard on our roster who has experience. Steph and Penny may be able to teach him a lot about basketball. But I'd ALSO welcome Houston. No one said that Allan would be the ONLY one mentoring him. I'm sure plenty of people will help the guy. I think all H20 was saying is that he'll be availible to show him whatever he feels the kid could learn. That's not to say he'll be the only one. Secondly, Eddie Jones was Kobe's mentor early on. Kobe has admitted that. So my feeling is, just because a player mentor's another player doesn't mean the student won't someday surpass the teacher. It's just good to know that someone is interested in showing him some things at the 2 spot. He won't learn everything from Allan. But 2 things he could learn that Steph and Penny can't teach him....HOW TO DEAL WITH THE NEW YORK MEDIA WHILE PLAYING FOR THE KNICKS IN THE WORLD'S MOST FAMOUS ARENA. That's something Penny and Steph are still getting use to themselves.

In a nutshell, I'd like Crawford to learn something from ALL of those guys. Why not?
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
8/14/2004  10:15 PM
"Marbury is an allstar quality player and so is Penny."

My fault, I meat to say Penny WAS an allstar point guard.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/14/2004  10:46 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by timmyTtop:
Posted by Knixkik:

As long as Houston shows Crawford how to shoot we're in great shape. Crawford is a much better athlete than Houston and probably even more talented. He's going to be a great player to look forward to.

i hear crawford is like an iverson in the making, how much truth is there in that?
He's much taller than Iverson, but I don't know if he's as quick or as good a ball-handler (almost no one is)

Crawford at 6'5 is as quick as anyone in the league and his handles is almost second to none, the guy is a ball handling wiz.... He does things on the court with ease that you see on the playgrounds... He makes those moves look regular...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/15/2004  5:05 PM
Houston can help Crawford develop into a pro. The fact that he's been able to survive as a Knick for so long is a testament to his staying power. He can teach Crawford how to deal with the difficult NY media... and how to be a professional.

Like the Starks/Houston thing, Crawford is the young guy w/ unlimited potential with some success... Houston is the seasoned veteran.

The biggest adjustment Crawford will need to make is that he won't be the #1 scoring threat... he won't have free reign and a green light all the time. Heck, he probably didn't in Chicago but he took the shots anyway. :)

Who will start? IMHO, it doesn't matter. If Houston comes off the bench and can come in with a gunner's mindset, he has the ability to play like the next Del Curry. If anything, it could make him more efficient on the floor.

As a starter, Crawford will need to play under control and take better shots. The thing he'll need to improve most is his lackluster shooting %.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Silverfuel
USA
8/15/2004  10:25 PM
Posted by technomaster:

Houston can help Crawford develop into a pro. The fact that he's been able to survive as a Knick for so long is a testament to his staying power. He can teach Crawford how to deal with the difficult NY media... and how to be a professional.
This is very funny. I am actually of the opinion that Crawford will not have that much of a problem getting used to the New York Media. I think Crawford will be able to develop into a pro easily without the help of Houston. I am also positive that if Houston was not his mentor, his game would not suffer in any way.

IMHO, a better mentor for him would be Penny or even Isiah. H2O is not someone I think who should be anyone's mentor. Especially since he is injuerd and should be worried about himself and getting back on the floor and staying on the floor instead of the bench.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/15/2004  11:02 PM
Our four current/former all-star guards (Steph, Penny, Lenny, and Isiah) should ALL be mentors for Jamal.

Besides benefiting from all the advice and wisdom that Houston can share with Jamal, Jamal can benefit enormously from having to guard such a strong shooter who throws great fakes like Houston in practices.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
8/15/2004  11:03 PM
there's only a handfull of players that can come off screens and get open shots like houston. r.miller, e.jones, are the only ones that come to mind. that's a hell of a trait & skill to learn from one of the best.
as a 2-guard crawford needs to learn to shoot a higher percentage from 3, so who better to teach him how to get open than houston?
i honestly don't see him teaching him anything else, but that to me is a big deal and would get him alot of open looks. there's a reason allan avg big #'s shooting mostly outside shots.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/15/2004  11:14 PM
Posted by technomaster:

Like the Starks/Houston thing, Crawford is the young guy w/ unlimited potential with some success... Houston is the seasoned veteran.

The biggest adjustment Crawford will need to make is that he won't be the #1 scoring threat... he won't have free reign and a green light all the time. Heck, he probably didn't in Chicago but he took the shots anyway. :)

Who will start? IMHO, it doesn't matter. If Houston comes off the bench and can come in with a gunner's mindset, he has the ability to play like the next Del Curry. If anything, it could make him more efficient on the floor.

As a starter, Crawford will need to play under control and take better shots. The thing he'll need to improve most is his lackluster shooting %.

excellent post....houston is also extending a ny welcome that i hope crawford and fans can appreciate.
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
NY Post: Houston wants to be a "mentor" for Crawford

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy