Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/13/2004  2:29 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/18594.htm

ALLAN WELCOMES CRAWFORD

By MARC BERMAN

August 13, 2004 -- A still-rehabbing Allan Houston extended an olive branch to the new young stud on the block, Jamal Crawford, heading off a potential controversy over playing time.

Houston, who plans to be at full strength by the start of training camp Oct. 5, said he wants to be Crawford's mentor. Houston compared Crawford's arrival to when he left Detroit for New York eight years ago to share the shooting guard role with John Starks — an indication he's ready for a reduced role.

"Joe Dumars and John Starks were people I consider mentors," Houston said yesterday at a Read-To-Achieve event at Macy's in Midtown. "Jamal is in his career where I was, coming from Detroit. Whatever he's willing to take in, I'm willing to help him. I want to do the same thing John Starks did with me. I want to help him become better than he already is, on and off the court."

Houston isn't ready to pass the torch, however, still feeling his knees will be healthy. Though he says, "I'm where I want to be at this point" in his rehab, Houston admitted, "I still have a ways to go."

It has been 41/2 months since he has played and is still only doing shooting and court drills, having yet to scrimmage.

"My goal has always been to do drills on the court in August," said Houston. "I still have a ways to go, but I'm right where my goal is. My goal is to play in August and I think in a couple of weeks I'll be able to go out and play.

"The key right now is the progression. I'm being very smart so I can be my strongest not now, but when I need to be. To sit out that long and be ready to play at that intensity, you have to build up to that. That's what happened last summer. I tried to come in and go all out without making progressions. That's why I had a setback."

Houston hasn't spoken to Crawford, though he made a recruiting call to C Erick Dampier. Even without Dampier, Houston believes the Knicks have the cast to earn home court in the first round.

With the Nets' fall, Crawford's addition and the expected signing of Vin Baker — who's coming off surgery to correct a rapid heart rate that friends say will make him a new player — the Knicks, on paper, should challenge for the title in the newly structured Atlantic.

Asked about the Knicks' Dampier quest, Houston said, "I hope so. With him in the mix, it makes things a lot better for us."

AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/13/2004  3:29 AM
Posted by Rich:

Houston, who plans to be at full strength by the start of training camp Oct. 5, said he wants to be Crawford's mentor.
"Joe Dumars and John Starks were people I consider mentors,"
I want to do the same thing John Starks did with me. I want to help him become better than he already is, on and off the court."

Say what you want, that that's only politics and blabla, but houston is really a classy guy. Crawford would be clever to learn as much as he can from that guy, as long as it will be possible for him to do so.

Every basketball team should be that about. Passing the torch, raising young players with the help of vets. IT on that point is doing the right thing.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/13/2004  4:09 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/221567p-190431c.html

Allan will help Jamal

BY SAM STEIN
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Allan Houston's aching knees kept him out of 32 games last season, and when he was unable to suit up for the playoffs, the Knicks desperately missed him as they lost four straight first-round games to the Nets.

When Houston finally gets healthy again, he'll be part of a very different team thanks to last week's trade that brought guard Jamal Crawford and forward Jerome Williams from the Bulls for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski.

In fact, the 24-year-old Crawford may even push Houston for playing time, especially if health woes continue for the veteran shooting guard. But the 33-year-old Houston is glad to have Crawford aboard.

"Jamal gives us depth," Houston said yesterday at a "Read to Achieve" event at Macy's in midtown. "When you look at teams that go far and win they have depth in that position. He can give us some quality minutes and you have to have that."

Houston believes he'll be physically ready for training camp, but said, "my body is telling me to take it step by step."

Houston seemed more inclined to view Crawford as a protege than as a competitor for minutes, but knows that Crawford, who averaged 17.3 points per game last season, will likely replace him down the road.

"I wanna help him become a better player than he already is," Houston said. "We got to get to know each other and do what it takes. Maybe we'll have some slumber parties or something."

Originally published on August 13, 2004

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/13/2004  9:22 AM
Posted by raven:
Posted by Rich:

Houston, who plans to be at full strength by the start of training camp Oct. 5, said he wants to be Crawford's mentor.
I want to do the same thing John Starks did with me. I want to help him become better than he already is, on and off the court."

Say what you want, that that's only politics and blabla, but houston is really a classy guy. Crawford would be clever to learn as much as he can from that guy, as long as it will be possible for him to do so.

Every basketball team should be that about. Passing the torch, raising young players with the help of vets. IT on that point is doing the right thing.
Jamal has a great opportunity to learn from five great guards--Isiah, Lenny, Allan, Penny, and Steph. You can't ask for a better opportunity than that
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/13/2004  9:31 AM
hope he'll do it, and try to learn with humility instead of jacking shots to boost his stats and be "the man".
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/13/2004  11:04 AM
"I wanna help him become a better player than he already is," Houston said. "We got to get to know each other and do what it takes. Maybe we'll have some slumber parties or something."

After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/13/2004  11:10 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by raven:
Posted by Rich:

Jamal has a great opportunity to learn from five great guards--Isiah, Lenny, Allan, Penny, and Steph. You can't ask for a better opportunity than that

Don't forget Shandon and Moochie!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/13/2004  11:10 AM
TMS... that cracked me up. Houston is actually a pretty funny guy.

These guys are the same respective ages that Starks/Houston were. I believe Starks was the 6th man of the year that first year as well. Probably the only difference was Starks didnt have $58mm remaining over his last 3 years. The legacy of Layden lives on...

I like Penny but he's cap fodder in another year and I'm not even sure he's the backup 3. With Crawford and Marbury in the backcourt together I would like to see JYD get some time at the 3 as well.

We will see... I guess it depends on matchups.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/13/2004  11:11 AM
Don't forget Shandon and Moochie!

sounds like some kind of demented cartoon from Heavy Metal.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/13/2004  11:14 AM
I was gonna look for that same emoticon, TMS, but I had a feeling you would beat me to it, and you did.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/13/2004  12:38 PM
As long as Houston shows Crawford how to shoot we're in great shape. Crawford is a much better athlete than Houston and probably even more talented. He's going to be a great player to look forward to.
timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/13/2004  12:57 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

As long as Houston shows Crawford how to shoot we're in great shape. Crawford is a much better athlete than Houston and probably even more talented. He's going to be a great player to look forward to.

i hear crawford is like an iverson in the making, how much truth is there in that?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/13/2004  2:12 PM
Posted by timmyTtop:
Posted by Knixkik:

i hear crawford is like an iverson in the making, how much truth is there in that?
He's much taller than Iverson, but I don't know if he's as quick or as good a ball-handler (almost no one is)
s3231
Member: #544
USA
8/13/2004  2:15 PM
I remember reading somewhere that an NBA player (I think it could've been Dajuan Wagner, not sure) called Crawford the 2nd quickiest player in the NBA behind Iverson. Maybe I'm thinking about another player?
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
8/14/2004  2:29 PM
layden’s legacy?…..so much for being cynical. if anything , its going be the legacy houston leaves when he calls it quits in ny. if we had more players take the same attitude as h20 maybe some of the player hype can be dispelled of….its always better to be a giver. hopefully, jamal takes note to h20’s off court contributions as well. If you factor in the tumultuous spree period , and the vg era, h20 continues to be a class act and the standard by which ny players should perform
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/14/2004  2:45 PM
This article made me laugh. Houston wants to be Crawfords 'mentor?' WTF!! Crawford is already better than Houston. What is Houston going to teach him?

Rebounding? Defense? Passing the ball? Ball Handling? running without the ball? playing hard? Oh no wait. The only thing Houston can do is jump shoot!! What are these people thinking writing articles like this? I would hope Crawford decides to take lessons from Marbury about his game rather than Houston.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/14/2004  3:40 PM
thats true Silver lol

I think the only thing he can teach him is to be wiser on the court and put up better shots.
Silverfuel
USA
8/14/2004  7:08 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I think the only thing he can teach him is to be wiser on the court and put up better shots.
Yo guns, no offense to you or all the Houston apologists out there but, he really cannot teach Craford anything.

Houston has a talent: shoot jumpshots with almost anyone in the league. His talent is not versatile. It requires a system that makes use of his skill at right times. His game itself restricts him to break certain defensive patterns. I dont think Houston should teach Craw anything. I think Crawford should learn to shoot for a better % but I think he should a) learn that for himself or b) learn that from someone else.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
8/14/2004  7:49 PM
Actually, I agree with Houston. He should teach whatever he knows to Craw, just like Starks did with him- before he got TRADED. See the pattern?

Allan Houston was the last to be handed the torch (from Starks) @ the 2-spot on the Knicks. Now it's time for Allan to pass it to Craw.

The Changing of the Guards, literally.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Silverfuel
USA
8/14/2004  8:03 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

The Changing of the Guards, literally.
If we can change the guard from Allan Houston to anyone else I will be happy. I still think he will do more harm in teaching Craw how to do anthing. And also, I dont think Houston learned anything from Starks. No heart, no passion, no defense, no drive to the hoop, no ferocity and obviously no 'THE DUNK'.

Just like he cannot learn anything, he cannot teach anything. H2O and his contract is the worst thing that could've happened to the Knicks.
NY Post: Houston wants to be a "mentor" for Crawford

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy