[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game thread: Knicks Vs. Spurs......Yippi Tai yo Kai Aye........Why is this game on National TV TODAY?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/13/2017  11:18 AM
SAS has second best record in the league and some of you are saying they old, slow and fat?
22-6 ON THE ROAD THIS SEASON. Now they are 22-7.
AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6207

2/13/2017  11:21 AM
crzymdups wrote:
reub wrote:We play better against slower, older teams without dominating point guards.

Fair point. I was thinking this during our last Indiana win... but yeah basically teams that don't rely on PG penetration and pick and rolls we are actually okay against.

Too bad most of the league uses speed and athleticism at the point to create havoc in the pick and roll.

That's why you need athletic guards and wings. You can't have old declining vets who are tired running up on offense. Yesterday's game was slow paced. We also didn't get into a high tempo contest like with the Nuggets. It wasn't a track meet.

If the Knicks want to play games at that pace, and against athletic guard led teams, they have to become athletic and defsnively skilled at the PG, SG and SF spot themselves.

Too much is put on KP and Willy or whomever our bigs are. Yes they can struggle at times too, but our #1 issue is perimeter players can not stay with their man. Spurs game was an exception, helped by the fact that Spurs don't have athletic penetration guards.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

2/13/2017  11:39 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
Gudris wrote:KP 16 points 4 blocks 1 steal and +20, great defense by KP

First great defenseive game by knicks all season .... we play that kinda defense for the rest of the year we finish above 500

And totally hose our lottery chances. No thanks.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/13/2017  12:00 PM
Nalod wrote:SAS has second best record in the league and some of you are saying they old, slow and fat?
22-6 ON THE ROAD THIS SEASON. Now they are 22-7.

I'm saying LA is fat and old. Pop deserves coach of the year- the personal on that team are no where near as good as their record.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/13/2017  1:40 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
reub wrote:We play better against slower, older teams without dominating point guards.

Fair point. I was thinking this during our last Indiana win... but yeah basically teams that don't rely on PG penetration and pick and rolls we are actually okay against.

Too bad most of the league uses speed and athleticism at the point to create havoc in the pick and roll.

That's why you need athletic guards and wings. You can't have old declining vets who are tired running up on offense. Yesterday's game was slow paced. We also didn't get into a high tempo contest like with the Nuggets. It wasn't a track meet.

If the Knicks want to play games at that pace, and against athletic guard led teams, they have to become athletic and defsnively skilled at the PG, SG and SF spot themselves.

Too much is put on KP and Willy or whomever our bigs are. Yes they can struggle at times too, but our #1 issue is perimeter players can not stay with their man. Spurs game was an exception, helped by the fact that Spurs don't have athletic penetration guards.

Man you've been so on point with your posts! This Knicks team simply can't allow things to stay the same. The real key is going to be finding a way to upgrade the athletic ability at PG, SG and SF for the future. It's why even tho it would be fun to watch the team better, i'd much prefer a trade to try and get another 1st rd pick cuz this team has some serious holes to fill in those 3 key areas. PG, SG and SF have to be upgraded with some high level talent. We need 2 way players or at least some elite defensive players at those spots to really solidify this team going forward.

We can't play Horny Ball with aging Guards and Wings!!! We can't get after it on D for 82 games with the roster as it is.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/13/2017  6:37 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I agree with this, but I would add that when KP is locked in and positioned correctly on defense he helps the guards immensely by acting as a lane deterrent.

Similar to the way Tyson Chandler locking down the lane used to really help our perimeter.

This is why I continue to advocate for Willy and KP to play together - start together - they know how to play on D and it helps the interior defense, which in turn helps the perimeter D. Willy and KP have chemistry and trust one another - two foundations of good D that most of the rest of our team doesn't have.

Also, Lance's return shouldn't be overlooked. He committed a lot of fouls, but he brought good intensity and really helps the perimeter D. He's a massive upgrade over Kuz on defense in that backup SF role.

But I agree completely we need more athleticism at the 1, 2, and 3. Part of our problem is the oft mentioned fact that Melo can defend well at the 4, but is too slow for most 3s in the league.

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/14/2017  10:07 AM
Lance was a huge - in the game though. He does bring good culture I agree on that for sure. I was happy we brought him back. However in net impact, the team was always being outscored or playing poorly when Lance was out there. The Spurs had their best moments with Lance out there.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't play Lance. I agree he helps considerably. He was a top 4 player last year and one of the key reasons the team played well at 22-22 under Fisher. He needs to get healthy and play some consistent stretch of 20 games. I like what he brings to the team.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/14/2017  11:32 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Lance was a huge - in the game though. He does bring good culture I agree on that for sure. I was happy we brought him back. However in net impact, the team was always being outscored or playing poorly when Lance was out there. The Spurs had their best moments with Lance out there.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't play Lance. I agree he helps considerably. He was a top 4 player last year and one of the key reasons the team played well at 22-22 under Fisher. He needs to get healthy and play some consistent stretch of 20 games. I like what he brings to the team.

I somewhat agree - Lance wasn't actually very good in that game. But he mitigated the bleeding. This is a team that gives up 20-2 runs with some regularity... to have that be a 13-5 run instead is a huge diffence. Lance was -9... not great, but the effort was there and I saw him stop some serious efforts by Kawhi and make him work hard, which could've been why Kawhi was quiet in the end game.

¿ △ ?
Game thread: Knicks Vs. Spurs......Yippi Tai yo Kai Aye........Why is this game on National TV TODAY?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy