Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/11/2004  11:09 AM
Newest Hawk Walker will make pitch to Dampier

By CURTIS BUNN
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Published on: 08/10/04

First order of business for the Hawks' new team-leader, Antoine Walker? Recruiting free-agent center Erick Dampier.

An eight-year veteran and three-time All-Star, Walker said he plans to find Dampier's number and start making a sales pitch.

"If that's what it takes [to get Dampier to sign with Atlanta]," Walker said Tuesday after he and reliable guard Tony Delk were introduced.

Delk and Walker were acquired in a trade that sent Jason Terry, Alan Henderson and a conditional No. 1 draft pick to the Dallas Mavericks.

"I'm going to lobby for him to come here and help us," Walker said. "I'm going to let him know that what we're doing here, he can make better. With me, him and Al Harrington, we can be one of the strongest frontlines in the league."

Walker just might have a better shot at luring Dampier, who is mulling a $55-million offer from the Hawks and a $60-million sign-and-trade deal with the New York Knicks.

General manager Billy Knight and staff pursued the former Golden State big man, but Walker was not on the team then.

Walker said he'd also throw out the idea of making the postseason.

"You've got to always set the goal of making the playoffs," Walker said. "I don't want to promise anything. We're going to use this year to surprise people. We want to be competitive every night, with the playoffs as the goal. And once you make the playoffs, anything can happen."

While the team still needs a center and a point guard, Knight's dismantling of the roster inherited from former general manager Pete Babcock -- did not make Walker and Delk wary of coming to Atlanta.

"We look forward to pushing the team in a new direction," Delk said.

Added Walker: "I haven't been this excited in a long time. It reminds me of when I first came into the league. I'm still in my prime and it's exciting to be a part of rebuilding a team. Hopefully it will be my team. I've learned a lot and experienced a lot. But I know I can't do it by myself."

Forward Chris Crawford is the lone holdover from the Babcock era.

That's where veterans like Harrington and Delk come in.

"You have to have someone to take the pressure off of you," Hawks vice president and future Hall of Famer Dominique Wilkins said. "[Walker] has a lot of opportunities around him to offset his offense. That's very important."

To get where they are "Billy has replaced 11 of 12 players," owner Michael Gearon said.

"He did that because it was a roster that was not competitive and was not fun to watch. . . . And we're not yet finished. We like the direction we are going. It's an exciting time."

Walker, who is in the last year of his contract, made it clear he wants a contract extension. Knight made it clear no extensions are given until earned on the court.

That did not set well with Walker, but it did not break his spirit. "Well, I don't want to spend my career floating around the league," he said. "When you do that, you get a label on yourself that teams can't win with you and you become very expendable. I'd love the opportunity to be in one place for a long time. . . . But I'll let my agent and Billy handle that. . . . I'll focus on playing good basketball."

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/0804/11hawks.html
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/11/2004  11:14 AM
If they were to resign Walker getting Dampier (and a good coach) could really make the Hawks a solid squad.

Dampier
Walker
Harrington
Diaw (solid defender)
Delk

Usually teams with guys that know they arent resigning dont do well however.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/11/2004  11:18 AM
They would have a great starting 5 but absolutely no depth on the bench...
~You can't run from who you are.~
raven
Canada
8/11/2004  11:27 AM
still better than anything they had at the beginning of the offseason.

and a lot of playing time for the rookies.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/11/2004  11:31 AM
What walker wont tell Dampier is that Atlanta fans wont go to the games no matter who is playing.He can make more money but nothing is like playing for NY at MSG and Dampier knows that.Either contract makes him set for life,is it worth the extra loot to play to an empty arena? Wouldnt be for me.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/11/2004  11:35 AM
if we had a sign and trade for 60mm the deal would be done already. im highly skeptical of any sign and trade with no expiring contracts i dont think they players we would send to GS warrant expanding payroll
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/11/2004  12:01 PM
I agree Briggs... its overpaying but makes sense for our team/needs/operating level.

My guess is the bigman will just have to come next year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/11/2004  1:58 PM
what a selfish player Walker is...he actually wants to win...ridiculous!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
RonRon
Member: #246
8/11/2004  2:41 PM
imagine them using walkers expiring deal to sign stro swift too?

then they really wouldnt look like that bad of a team huh?

a big 3 of looks pretty nasty
Dampier
Swift
Harrington

their picks this year, boris diaw from last year ...which i think sux,
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/11/2004  4:22 PM
what pull does Walker with an expiring contract have for Dampier.

1- the hawks might trade Walker come the deadline

or

2- Walker leaves at the end of the year to sign elsewhere

And making the playoffs?

When was the last time the Hawks made the post season?

It might have been 99 when the knicks ran through them like nothing...

Its not like Damp is rich that he could take the MLE because he wants to win, so I can't fault him for taking the Hawks money.

But playing for a loosing team, year after year, has to take some kind of psychic toll...
BRIGGS
8/11/2004  10:44 PM
imperative for the knicks to sign dampier imho. although im sweet on sweetney and we have some other good pieces, we lack a person who can truly anchor the defense and intimidate the lane. without dampier, i have no idea how easy or how wide open our lane might be to penetrate

if dampier goes to an atlanta, that makes another team who has the ability to make an 8seed although they would still be an outside shot.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/11/2004  11:30 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

imperative for the knicks to sign dampier
Imperative for the Knicks to get a big man in the next 24 months with their 76 mil in expiring contracts. If it's this summer with Dampier, great; if it's a little longer, fine. Rebuilding takes YEARS.
BRIGGS
8/11/2004  11:59 PM
this team is NOT rebuilding you dont pay 175mm $ to pay Penny hardaway and Stephon Marbury to rebuild. this team is trying to win now if you cant see that you wear rose-colored glasses.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/12/2004  4:44 AM
Rebuilding is about adding talented young players, which Isiah has added plenty of. If you can't see that, you're just being a blind critic. Having good veteran role models like Penny does not prevent rebuilding
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
8/12/2004  6:11 AM
I like Penny and his contract comes off the book soon, it wont get us under the cap but might be some worth as trade bait. I hope though IT resigns him for a reasonable amount; he showed in the playoffs that he his legs might be shot but he's still got high basketball IQ.
raven
Canada
8/12/2004  6:30 AM
in 2 yrs penny won't be worth anything.

ship him when his contract expires and turn the page.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/12/2004  8:33 AM
Why does rebuilding have anything to do with the money. It has to do with young players. If you bring in young talent you are rebuilding. Nobody cares about how much the Knicks spend.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/12/2004  9:03 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Rebuilding is about adding talented young players, which Isiah has added plenty of. If you can't see that, you're just being a blind critic. Having good veteran role models like Penny does not prevent rebuilding

When did Penny become a good role model? When his star power dropped and he was forced to eat some crow and not act like a NBA bitch Diva?

Or when his game went out with his knee's?

I hope Azira and Shandon's play make Penny useless!

ANd I hope Shandon's taking 1000 jumpshots a day to earn that freaking salary and contribute enough to get his azz traded!

Freak Penny, there ain't enough Kool-aid for me to have to all of a sudden be a penny fan. He is an unfortunate price we had to pay for Marbs, and I can tolerate that, but not more.
BRIGGS
8/12/2004  9:05 AM
if you want to use the word re-tooling the roster, I agree with you. If you use the word rebuilding the team, you are flat out wrong. This is a veteran team which cost a LOT of $ guys like marbury and tim thomas have been in this league for 7-8 years each. IT has gotten rid of Lampe Frank Williams and 5 draft picks. That is NOT rebuilding.
RIP Crushalot😞
raven
Canada
8/12/2004  9:05 AM
you'll tolerate that a lot more when his expiring contract will bring us a talented player from a team in disarray.

penny was at least a nice surprise for us, as he was said to be an absolute dead weight. He proved us deadweight he was not (yet), so at least, this is a gain.
Newest Hawk Walker will make pitch to Dampier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy