[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah dealing with exiting players...
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/11/2004  9:44 AM
It seems he could do a better job at treating players that have been traded or released. Deke and Dice seem to have some issues with the way their departure was handled and those guys are pretty upstanding vets.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/11/2004  9:47 AM
Business, nothing personal.Vets should understand that better then anyone
ES
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
8/11/2004  9:50 AM
There is business and then there is professionalism, which Isiah doesn't understand
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
8/11/2004  9:56 AM
Posted by MS:

There is business and then there is professionalism, which Isiah doesn't understand
same thing happened with chaney, he needs to call up the players and show some respect. It's a real slap in the face if to a guy like dikembe if he sees all these free agents being treated to all sorts of things by Isiah and when he gets traded he doesn't even get a phone call.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/11/2004  10:00 AM
tough one... how do you say we dont want you anymore? Deke has a lot of pride... you heard him saying he wants to play another 3-4 years. There were time when he looked very good to be honest, but there were other times when he was so bad it was almost shocking.

When Isiah first started it was a bad situation. I think the coaching staff and many of the players knew he wasnt brought in to watch and learn and it created an ugly environment (just ask Islesfan, er.. I mean Don Chaney).

Don and his staff were in the building getting ready for the Magic when they got the news at like 4pm. Thats lousy.. but I dont care about feeling good about my GM, so long as he gets good players and those players are happy being a part of this team. So far so good... time will tell though if this stuff catches up w/ him.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/11/2004  10:01 AM
Thomas had no problem with a departing KVH, actually called him and they parted on good terms, sometimes these guys feel that they are owed much more than the millions they are paid.. what did deke want? a farewell parade?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/11/2004  10:04 AM
I would appreciate to see IT try do be more human with the players, coaches...

Yet, nobody says anything about players that take their teams as hostage (ie : shaq,mac grady), those who don't have a word (boozer), and guys like dikembe who, even if he's proud and everything, should understand that he's not the man anymore.

So, I'll gladly take the good with the bad.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
8/11/2004  10:12 AM
Posted by tkf:

Thomas had no problem with a departing KVH, actually called him and they parted on good terms, sometimes these guys feel that they are owed much more than the millions they are paid.. what did deke want? a farewell parade?

Deke never complained about the way he was treated. He did indicate that he hadn't even talked to Isiah...or Isiah didn't call him when the trade went down. If that is true, shame on Isiah. Give the guys a call...thank them for their time with the Knicks and maybe they will want to come back (FWill maybe?). Regardless, it makes other guys (FAs) notice and make them more inclined to want to play for you.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/11/2004  10:15 AM
The only guys that seem to have real problems are the guys that are older and where all Layden's boys....I mean, Ward didn't have a problem....both McDyess and Mutumbo are older, past their prime, and injury prone....
~You can't run from who you are.~
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/11/2004  10:16 AM
Deke was cool complimenting others but being neutral on Isiah.

Isiah treated Chaney like dirt. You may not like his coaching job, but the year before he got a lot out of that team and they played well as a unit. Isiah said he was there to "help" but he really was cold going on Letterman the night before and just handling the whole situation badly.

This considering how much he was hurt by Larry Bird. Isiah I thought handled it and referenced that he would do better.

As long as he improves we can just say Isiah is not perfect. He is not.

Dice went thru a tough time and Laydog was nice to him. Isiah should have comunicated better, but new GM in town gonna have its effects. Dice can look upon the communication from Laydog, Dolan, and Mills and say we treated him well.

Deke is like 50 years old and in denial that he has 4 more years left. He is a proud man, and a great guy. He handled his comments well, and I am sure the press was looking for an angle very hard to get him on somthing.

OTher than chaney, I think Isiah is doing ok.
joec32033
Member: #583
USA
8/11/2004  11:14 AM
I think the whole Zeke-Chaney situation and how Zeke dealt with it was overblown. IMO, the media treated Chaney like crap and leaked the story out before he knew....I am sure Zeke didn't confirm or deny the report, and I am damn sure he didn't leak it to them. The media ran with the story...Maybe Dolan told Zeke to let him sleep on it, and Zeke had an appearence on Letterman (his hiring was huge NY news), and didn't want to cancel because than they would've figured something was up...maybe they wanted to wait until the day after the game to fire him so Williams could at least impliment something...Zeke may ot may not be totally clean, but there are definately variables to this issue...
~You can't run from who you are.~
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/11/2004  11:22 AM
As much as a love the job Isiah's doing,Im not going to kid myself and ignore the fact that he has a reputation for being an SOB back to his days in Detroit.

Yeah,he could do better in the personality department but pretty much everyone to a man said that Layden was a really nice guy which I believe he probably was but look where that got us.

If I had a choice,Ill take the SOB who is making the right moves every time.Its not like he disrespected an LJ or a Ewing who were established vets with the Knicks or JVG.Yeah Chaney deserved better but so did we.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/11/2004  11:29 AM
Posted by joec32033:

I think the whole Zeke-Chaney situation and how Zeke dealt with it was overblown. IMO, the media treated Chaney like crap and leaked the story out before he knew....I am sure Zeke didn't confirm or deny the report, and I am damn sure he didn't leak it to them. The media ran with the story...Maybe Dolan told Zeke to let him sleep on it, and Zeke had an appearence on Letterman (his hiring was huge NY news), and didn't want to cancel because than they would've figured something was up...maybe they wanted to wait until the day after the game to fire him so Williams could at least impliment something...Zeke may ot may not be totally clean, but there are definately variables to this issue...

I am in complete agreement here. The whole Chaney thing is WAY overblown.

Also, wasn't it Deke who threatened to retire last year after rumors that he was going to be traded? Where is the love in that?!

There no obligation to call a person you are letting go - although it IS nice to do so.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/11/2004  11:30 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Yeah Chaney deserved better but so did we.

lol this one is very good !
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/11/2004  1:06 PM
If any of us had the chance you wouldn't hesitate to pull chaney by his ear and fling his incompotent ass out the door.

As far as dice and deke are concern, there time has come and gone, your as good as your last big game.

Remember little penny and the way hardaway got treated after his injury , that made me a firm beliver. IT's business, nothing personal.
ES
islesfan
Member: #712
8/11/2004  1:20 PM
It's ok when Isiah does it to somebody else but when it's done to Isiah, it's unprofessional and unfair.

All I can say it, what goes around, comes around.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/11/2004  2:30 PM
Isiah pissed off jordan and was left of the Dream team. That deeply hurt him. I think Isiah isolated him during an allstar game. IT came around later when Isiah was not at the peak of his career and Jordan had him excluded on that dream team. While not a big lover of the Detroit team then, I felt that was wrong. I was always sick of all that Michael crap even back then.

Isiah might have been kicked around and gotten his, but its at a much higher level than most. He thrived under Bobby Knight and might not have ever beena pro if not for his "intese" ways. He won his two rings and overcame many many obsticles. Isiah is a fighter and will be rought around the egdes from time to time.
I admire him as he is willing to stick his head out and take chances. A tough city kid hard headed going to a Bobby Knight team? That took balls! He had to learn to win after coming close to the lakers, and he did that.

I hope he finally finds ulitmate success in the front office!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/11/2004  2:31 PM
Posted by islesfan:

It's ok when Isiah does it to somebody else but when it's done to Isiah, it's unprofessional and unfair.
Who said that??
bernard
Member: #475
8/11/2004  2:54 PM
Ever notice that in corporate world when people get fired or laid off, they often complain about the way it was done. Well, there's no nice way of saying "we don't want you anymore." It's not the way it was done. It's what was done.

Same goes for NBA. It's going to be the rare case when a GM remains friendly (if he ever was) with a player he traded or didn't re-sign. Better to focus on your relationship with the guys on your team than on those going elsewhere. That's how you get the reputation of being a "player's GM", which is much more valuable than being thought of as a nice guy.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/11/2004  2:58 PM
This subject is touchy. Isiah IMHO has done nothing wrong in all his transactions since he arrived to NY. He is a business man for God's sake. Business is business, a deal is a deal more or less. He doesn't have to kiss every rejected player's ass just to make sure their feelings are not hurt. The media like to twist this around to sell the papers, otherwise they only have a line or two to print.

Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Isiah dealing with exiting players...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy