[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

For what its worth.....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2017  11:04 AM
Phil is in NYC and not with Jeannie Buss.
Might he have met someone new? Or her?
Who knows.

Melo is here, wants to be here, and has not given up. This team does not look like it flew off the rails. Looks like a team that can't close.
I see Melo as an asset on the court, or as a trade chip. Would not cry if he left for youthier assets.
The man got his NTC. Its his reality and ours. All things considered, I think he has handled the Crush of NYC and its media very well. This is not a bad guy, just Lebron or Kobe like.

Knicks are 12th in salary. Portland really has to get better value for its money!!!
Detroit as well.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/#hh-tab-team-payroll

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/23/2017  11:57 AM
Too bad a positive thread here never gets any traction. If you don't post something really negative, it won't generate any conversation.

For what its worth, our core of KP, Willy, and this year's draft pick is the best we have had in forever. I would include Melo too, for now. Only place to go is up, for those who don't let the media get to them.

Nalod
USA
1/23/2017  12:19 PM
Knixkik wrote:Too bad a positive thread here never gets any traction. If you don't post something really negative, it won't generate any conversation.

For what its worth, our core of KP, Willy, and this year's draft pick is the best we have had in forever. I would include Melo too, for now. Only place to go is up, for those who don't let the media get to them.

Im actually ok with this core and letting them figure it out. Just make the playoffs and KP stay healthy.
Willy is nice addition and I do like they are easing him in. The spaceing is good with what the knicks are doing when he is on the court, and he gets some nice transition points. That is not starter material stuff yet, and he has missed assignments in crunch time, which is ok for rookie to learn. Kuz is finding his shot and adjusting to the speed of the game. At 3mm, he is an improvement over Derrick Williams.

Rose is a tough fit as he was in Chicago. Half the season down the knicks problems are more apparent. But, He is physically doing well but I'd say that unless he develops a better shot I'd be very wary of paying him want he wants to be paid.

Some good stuff here, there is more to our big men than just Noah, who rebounds at a great level when he is on the floor. After him, Our bigs are not over paid and they are doing well. With Willy, we even have a prospect!!!!!!! Imagine such a thing!
Baker is a nice surprise but far from out of the woods regarding his future value. Im not sold, but that's ok. A work in progress.

The only disappointment is Jennings who's jump shot makes me want to throw up in my mouth half the time. Seemingly every shot is off balance.

Most fans reactions are like playing a driving video game. Too many strong movements or "over steer". "Dump players", "Dump Players"," use 2nd round picks as sweetners ", etc etc......

Nothing new. The expectation is "change will bring improvement". Sometimes change brings decline.
Losing suck, that we can all agree on!

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

1/23/2017  12:24 PM
I actually think melo is a decent guy and has shown loyalty to NY so i commend him for that. I have no issue with him being here. But if you ask me what we should do i do think a trade makes sense for both parties. I still feel we need to add pieces before we are really take off via draft/free agency which make take another 1-2 years. By that time he will be like 35 with many minutes logged on his legs. I do think he deserves a playoff run so hopefully it works out for both us and him
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/23/2017  12:29 PM
The team has talent, but the worst place to be in the NBA is where the Knicks are with Melo. You are neither bad enough to be drafting higher up where you can get talent like Kristaps Porzingis, and open up massive capspace to sign young free agents. Or good enough to contend for a championship or be a good enough team that free agents can come to you with 1 max capspace position available. We neither are a player for the Durant or top free agents with Melo, because the team isn't good enough. Nor are we bad enough where we can position ourselves to draft someone who can pair Kristaps with.

I don't want to install a culture of tanking or losing for good, but 2-3 years in this spot is way better than 4-5 years of where we have been with Melo. Thank god Phil Jackson didn't do what previous management did and that's trade away our picks. We will be drafting in the lottery this year and hopefully at least get a 8-10 year starter. Maybe not an all-star but someone good if we scout right and pick the right fit.

I hate where we are. I think we have enough talent to be in a top 5 team in the East, but because of having players that don't have the young fresh legs to defend AND run up at a high paced offense, the Knicks can not play enough defense to be a good team. It won't change.

Where I like what we have is that we have some trade chips. Melo possibly. O'Quinn's value is higher. Jennings, possibly Rose. Last year contracts maybe interest a playoff team looking to trade away a late first rounder. Obviously we have a few good young players in Willy and KP.

Things need to be more clear though. We should make a clear plan on whether we want to rebuild or keep going for building teams around an aging, declining (maybe not even an all-star selection anymore) Melo.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

1/23/2017  12:33 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:The team has talent, but the worst place to be in the NBA is where the Knicks are with Melo. You are neither bad enough to be drafting higher up where you can get talent like Kristaps Porzingis, and open up massive capspace to sign young free agents. Or good enough to contend for a championship or be a good enough team that free agents can come to you with 1 max capspace position available. We neither are a player for the Durant or top free agents with Melo, because the team isn't good enough. Nor are we bad enough where we can position ourselves to draft someone who can pair Kristaps with.

I don't want to install a culture of tanking or losing for good, but 2-3 years in this spot is way better than 4-5 years of where we have been with Melo. Thank god Phil Jackson didn't do what previous management did and that's trade away our picks. We will be drafting in the lottery this year and hopefully at least get a 8-10 year starter. Maybe not an all-star but someone good if we scout right and pick the right fit.

I hate where we are. I think we have enough talent to be in a top 5 team in the East, but because of having players that don't have the young fresh legs to defend AND run up at a high paced offense, the Knicks can not play enough defense to be a good team. It won't change.

Where I like what we have is that we have some trade chips. Melo possibly. O'Quinn's value is higher. Jennings, possibly Rose. Last year contracts maybe interest a playoff team looking to trade away a late first rounder. Obviously we have a few good young players in Willy and KP.

Things need to be more clear though. We should make a clear plan on whether we want to rebuild or keep going for building teams around an aging, declining (maybe not even an all-star selection anymore) Melo.

i think not have draft picks really hurt us too. I often wonder if melo would have waited to sign with us as a free agent if things would have been different. Maybe we use those assets to get chris paul
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/23/2017  12:35 PM
i think there are good things going on as well

We've been snake bit lately. Last minute losses. Crazy ref decisions and situations. We play Philly (who then gets hot). We play Suns (who then beat Raptors)

I am sincerely hoping this team sticks together (even an "us against the world" culture) and that we turn things around. We need more consistency, tighter D especially starting games (seems like we're always yielding 30+ in the first)and perhaps a break or two here or there.

I don't see any trades coming for Melo. We just need to start thinking of him as (and using him as) a very talented offensive player better suited for the 4 spot; and not expecting him to be Lebron or any other superstar.

(5)(5)
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/23/2017  12:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  1:11 PM
Nalod wrote:
Knixkik wrote:Too bad a positive thread here never gets any traction. If you don't post something really negative, it won't generate any conversation.

Im actually ok with this core and letting them figure it out. Just make the playoffs and KP stay healthy.
Willy is nice addition and I do like they are easing him in. The spaceing is good with what the knicks are doing when he is on the court, and he gets some nice transition points. That is not starter material stuff yet, and he has missed assignments in crunch time, which is ok for rookie to learn. Kuz is finding his shot and adjusting to the speed of the game. At 3mm, he is an improvement over Derrick Williams.

Rose is a tough fit as he was in Chicago. Half the season down the knicks problems are more apparent. But, He is physically doing well but I'd say that unless he develops a better shot I'd be very wary of paying him want he wants to be paid.

Some good stuff here, there is more to our big men than just Noah, who rebounds at a great level when he is on the floor. After him, Our bigs are not over paid and they are doing well. With Willy, we even have a prospect!!!!!!! Imagine such a thing!
Baker is a nice surprise but far from out of the woods regarding his future value. Im not sold, but that's ok. A work in progress.

The only disappointment is Jennings who's jump shot makes me want to throw up in my mouth half the time. Seemingly every shot is off balance.

Most fans reactions are like playing a driving video game. Too many strong movements or "over steer". "Dump players", "Dump Players"," use 2nd round picks as sweetners ", etc etc......

Nothing new. The expectation is "change will bring improvement". Sometimes change brings decline.

1) Kudos to the Centrist Czar for posting this semi-transcendent, quasi-positive thread.
2) Melo is what he is. The best player this franchise has seen since Crazy Spree and Glowering Ewing. Hands down. Anyone who thinks differently is stupid, and cannot be convinced otherwise no matter how many facts you repeat endlessly.
3) Despite the constant hoon-like carping about money (oh sheehit, we're overpaying someone in the NBA?? How did that ever happen?), his defense, his inefficiency (while he waits for the Jesus of the moment Unicorn to put on some big boy pants and take over) and his non-clutchiness of late (funny, how nobody was talking this up a month ago) he is ours. It's been better and worse. Of course this is NY, so worse is always all there is right now.
4) He handles the NY media and the Zenster with class and at least a low grade level of humor and an unassuming candor. Those bastions of incredibly high BBIQ who honor us by posting here equate that with "dumbness". Yet, we have no trucks, no lawsuits, no coach pressers in the dollar menu line at McD's; nothing from teammates and coaches but gushing and appreciating him (Pringles and Spurious George aside). Of course, all those in the same locker room must be obtuse and insincere.
5) Losing sure does suck. Doesn't mean one should spend mass amounts of energy sheehitting gleefully on those wearing the uniform. Even if a player has their name on the back, or screaming Tank! Tank! Tank! ....does the cycle never end?

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/23/2017  12:49 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:The team has talent, but the worst place to be in the NBA is where the Knicks are with Melo. You are neither bad enough to be drafting higher up where you can get talent like Kristaps Porzingis, and open up massive capspace to sign young free agents. Or good enough to contend for a championship or be a good enough team that free agents can come to you with 1 max capspace position available. We neither are a player for the Durant or top free agents with Melo, because the team isn't good enough. Nor are we bad enough where we can position ourselves to draft someone who can pair Kristaps with.

i think not have draft picks really hurt us too. I often wonder if melo would have waited to sign with us as a free agent if things would have been different. Maybe we use those assets to get chris paul

We could have received 1st round picks for Fields and Lin in 2012 if our GM had the foresight to know we wouldn't resign them. These are decisions that hurt us. We let go of 2 good young players, who at the time, were viewed highly in the league. Fields had great value as a up and coming role player after shooting 40% from 3 and being one of the best rebounding guards in the league as a rookie. Lin's value is self-explanatory. We replaced them with Kidd, Felton, Camby etc. We could have dealt them and received draft picks in return. To me, this was the biggest mishap in the Melo era. Letting go of young talent for nothing. The cupboard was bare after that.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/23/2017  1:09 PM
Without rambling.... this group is new. They could actually turn it around. The talent is there.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

1/23/2017  1:13 PM
Nalod wrote:

Losing ha it's merits - it improves out lottery position in an amazing draft class in which we own our pick. That's a valuable reason to accept losing. When trying to build a future we can all be excited about, we need to stop pretending that we can win anything in the here and now, and instead focus on KP's window. Thus we ought to get the best draft position we can this off-season and hope we get a solid running mate for KP. Then in 2-3 years we can explore adding a Melo-like player to get us into contention.

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

1/23/2017  1:16 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:

1) Kudos to the Centrist Czar for posting this semi-transcendent, quasi-positive thread.
2) Melo is what he is. The best player this franchise has seen since Crazy Spree and Glowering Ewing. Hands down. Anyone who thinks differently is stupid, and cannot be convinced otherwise no matter how many facts you repeat endlessly.
3) Despite the constant hoon-like carping about money (oh sheehit, we're overpaying someone in the NBA?? How did that ever happen?), his defense, his inefficiency (while he waits for the Jesus of the moment Unicorn to put on some big boy pants and take over) and his non-clutchiness of late (funny, how nobody was talking this up a month ago) he is ours. It's been better and worse. Of course this is NY, so worse is always all there is right now.
4) He handles the NY media and the Zenster with class and at least a low grade level of humor and an unassuming candor. Those bastions of incredibly high BBIQ who honor us by posting here equate that with "dumbness". Yet, we have no trucks, no lawsuits, no coach pressers in the dollar menu line at McD's; nothing from teammates and coaches but gushing and appreciating him (Pringles and Spurious George aside). Of course, all those in the same locker room must be obtuse and insincere.
5) Losing sure does suck. Doesn't mean one should spend mass amounts of energy sheehitting gleefully on those wearing the uniform. Even if a player has their name on the back, or screaming Tank! Tank! Tank! ....does the cycle never end?

The cycle ends when we reach our objective. Right now, we're built for mediocrity, as has been the case for two decades. It's time to take advantage of the opportunity we have and roll the dice. It's important to be realistic about Melo. You're right - he's the best NYK since Spree and Ewing. But he's not going to get us anywhere. If we can improve our team by moving him, we absolutely should try to do it. If we can't, then we'll just play out his final two years, but end up with less potential from the draft.

I prefer to shift our focus to KP's window and maximize THAT potential. I like Melo a lot, as a player and person. But I want my team to move on. I don't need to watch his amazing iso skills every night.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/23/2017  1:17 PM
We would need to have a near perfect February to get back in it. There's little games and lots of space. Rest. Good for the veterans on the team. Also good for KP who is dealing with some injuries. If we can go 7-3 or 8-2 in this month we can get back into it.

The problem is this rut has shown the moment the game is close the Knicks will blow it or not be able to close. Regardless of strength of competition.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/23/2017  1:37 PM
EnySpree wrote:Without rambling.... this group is new. They could actually turn it around. The talent is there.

This

Majority of games have been competitive. Lost a lot of close ones. Once this group gets it together (hopefully soon) they will make some noise.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/23/2017  1:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  2:02 PM
Nalod wrote:Phil is in NYC and not with Jeannie Buss.
Who knows.

Melo is here, wants to be here, and has not given up. This team does not look like it flew off the rails. Looks like a team that can't close.
I see Melo as an asset on the court, or as a trade chip. Would not cry if he left for youthier assets.
The man got his NTC. Its his reality and ours. All things considered, I think he has handled the Crush of NYC and its media very well. This is not a bad guy, just Lebron or Kobe like.

Knicks are 12th in salary. Portland really has to get better value for its money!!!
Detroit as well.

Good poimts. Knicks have lost 7 games by 3 points or less. 1 game by 4. If not for a couple of misses and stops, we would be 27 and 18. That would be 3rd or 4th in conference. But the NY Knicks fans are in rebuild mode. The scene when KP was picked sums up what we are dealing with. But ofcourse no one on here was one of those crying babies.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
USA
1/23/2017  2:08 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Nalod wrote:Phil is in NYC and not with Jeannie Buss.
Who knows.

Detroit as well.

Good poimts. Knicks have lost 7 games byb3 poimts or less. 1 game by 4. If not for a couple of misses and stops, we would be 27 and 18. That would be 3rd or 4th in conference. But the NY Knicks fans are in rebuild mode. The scene when KP was picked sums up what we are dealing with. But ofcourse no one on here was one of those crying babies.

This team started closing out games earlier in the season than I thought they would and surged to 14-10. My thinking was that they struggle with Triangle and related issues building chemistry then perhaps finish the season with quantifiable progress.

There is/was something with Rose, and perhaps in the coaching process. Is it Phil insisting the triangle get implemented that frustrated free agents to be? Once a positive momentum is breached, is it that much harder to regain it? I don't know. Defense has also been suspect. Most just think its Rambis. Rambis was deputy dog on some of PHil's championship teams so its not like "he can't coach" at this level, he can.
Is it Jeff? I dunno.

BTW, I see Noah as lacking when the knicks go Iso. When the ball is moving, I see a team doing well and Noah is a part of it, and he eats rebounds. I know his metrics are not good, but is the cure "Trading him" really going to fix this? Besides, we can't keep signing guys then trade them, especially after half a season. Rose was a great opportunity, and it was off season move.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/23/2017  2:13 PM
Knixkik wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

We could have received 1st round picks for Fields and Lin in 2012 if our GM had the foresight to know we wouldn't resign them. These are decisions that hurt us. We let go of 2 good young players, who at the time, were viewed highly in the league. Fields had great value as a up and coming role player after shooting 40% from 3 and being one of the best rebounding guards in the league as a rookie. Lin's value is self-explanatory. We replaced them with Kidd, Felton, Camby etc. We could have dealt them and received draft picks in return. To me, this was the biggest mishap in the Melo era. Letting go of young talent for nothing. The cupboard was bare after that.

We also won a lot more games after those 2 departed. This team is talented, but that's half the battle, the chemistry and coaching staff are suspect.

Constantly run ISO plays for either Rose or Melo in the final seconds, these 2 morons, don't know the difference between a good shot and a better one.

I don't know how many times MJ would beat the knicks with a pass to a wide open role player, rather than take a tough shout..melo and rose always want to be the hero..you would think after so many 1 and 2 point loses, you would thinks the coaching staff would dedicate an entire practice on last 20 second plays.

the effort with the coaching staff is just as bad as the players..

ES
Nalod
USA
1/23/2017  2:17 PM
How much value does a pending free agent have via trade? Was Landry the missing piece for a playoff push? He was a second round pick that made real good and got a great offer.
But what was his trade value?
Linsanity was in february. No way does Lin get traded and agree to not be a free agent.

Teams have free agents all the time. In retropsect, Lin cost us nothing and Landry was a second round pick. Loved both, but c'mon!

MS
Member: #724
1/23/2017  2:18 PM
What is there to be positive about.

Over the last 15+ years the Knicks are the second worst franchise in the NBA ahead of only Minnesota. We have had 9 coaches in 15 seasons. An owner that doesn't take ownership. A GM who speaks twice a season and has his buddy publish confidential meetings to the public about players we have moved. A coach who the players don't like.

We should be over the moon that finally we have a ****ing lottery pick that's going to be in the 9-12 range.

Listen, we all love KP he's our guy, the franchise, but we need to be careful with the kid. He attacks the rim and his body needs to hold up. It's a luxury to have a hometown guy, we have no doubt he's going to be a top 10 player in this league. Willy is a great piece and will be a good starter going forward.

But, Noah and Melo are locked in for three more years, there are no trading partners, which limits are ability to be aggressive in free agency.

The Bucks have more talent than we do, the Sixers are in a tremendous position if and when Simmons get's healthy, the raptors will be good for the next few years, etc.

For what it's worth we were 14-10 and it felt like we had accomplished something. That's where Knick basketball is

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/23/2017  2:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  2:24 PM
Swishfm3 wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Without rambling.... this group is new. They could actually turn it around. The talent is there.

This

Majority of games have been competitive. Lost a lot of close ones. Once this group gets it together (hopefully soon) they will make some noise.

The guys all like each other too. There's no beef. They just aren't clicking.

At the same time, what do we want to do? Sit on that idea or prepare for next year? Can't fault Phil because we still have a healthy future even if we don't do anything

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
For what its worth.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy