1/23/2017  3:57 PM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:
jrodmc wrote:His reasons for Melo to leave don't even reach the intelligence level of the haters on this board:

1) unnamed sources say... this is akin to saying nothing.
2) Melo is numb and not playing for anyone other than people on the team and in the lockerroom. Is he supposed to play for the GM and the President, I forget?
3) The Media Pressure. He's worried about Melo's health. So nice.
4) He's worried about Melo's age. Nice again.
5) Hey, the Knicks suck again. Melo's never been through that before, right? Hey old guy, go now, hurry!
6) Melo, I really really really want you to win a chip. Somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe China!
7) Melo is dynamic scorer, but is too slow to play SF, but too fragile to play PF. But he doesn't post up enough. But he takes too many jumpers. Or something. Maybe he could convert to playing free safety for the Jets...
8) Melo's fat and slow, by the way. We love saying this. Phil laughs so hard the seeds come through his nose.
9) Did I already mention the Pressure?
10) Or that the Knicks really suck right now? Phil is 70-something now. He repeats himself alot.

You can tell Charlie didn't get all this from Phil because the word triangle wasn't mentioned and Phil only makes at most, three sides to an argument. So there.

2) he's supposed to play to win.....

The whole article basically made it clear Melo didn't care about winning he just a wants to be in NY because he likes it here and loves the attention of being a star player in NY. As a human being I am fine with that. As a Knick fan I want him gone ASAP just because we need to do a rebuild and he could bring in picks. If he stays the Knicks will suck, if he leaves the Knicks will suck but with more draft picks/youth.

That's the whole article. While both choices are bleak the latter gives us a better chance to improve quickest to be ready to compete on KP's timeline

2) And you know he's just trying to knock down an open three because he actually is playing to lose, right? You scan his neurons every day and all that comes back is "Please lose this game, Please miss shots that matter, Please lose this game".

The whole article says nothing other than crap guessing. Melo must want to win, but only when it means he'd be somewhere else. Do you see how that's repeated ad nauseum?

How about noticing the bruising he takes night in and night out with no calls? Why does he continue to do that? Why does he ever bother playing brother ball with Kuz? Because these are facts that would negate negativity, and we can't have that in ESPN-HATE-THYSELF-NYC-AT-ALL-COSTS Knick fanland.

As a Knick fan I've noticed that Phil has already rebuilt the entire team twice. I also notice that the only thing that's not new and shiny is Melo, so obviously that means we cant' win with Melo. Even though we have. But enough about that.

Please continue hawking goobers down the Hinkie path, no matter what the Sixers do. That looks like so much fun.

Jr there comes a point where cutting ties to help the team makes sense. He should still be able to bring back a good asset tally. You said being the Sixers wouldn't be fun but all of these good teams got their players via high draft pick-- so did the Knicks 32 years ago. What's the difference in the melo Knicks and the 76 era anyway? They are just as good as us they beat us and now they will pass is unless we strategize a plan to re make part of this team. 15 years we spent so much money and we won 1 playoff series. Roi is worst in sports history -- time to change starting with getting younger

You make a reasonable point. But your excluding one thing...When we surrounded him with decent array of players to fit roles and some solid vets, then got out of his way and fed him the ball, we won 54 games. When we gave him a line up consisting of NBA rejects and forced him to go with the glorious TRIANGLE, we have done what? Your reasonable but now time to be objective.

and when Jason Kidd was making great decisions on the court!

Who do you surround him with now? And one can make the argument that Phil attempted that approach with Rose, Noah, Jennings and Lee. And while it's fair to criticize their individual and collective performances (if you're inclined) all you offer are vague suggestions that we would have been better to surround an aging (super)star with some others, unnamed role players to repeat a performance (2d round exit) when Melo was better. Why don't you illuminate us all and say what the roster would have been if you were supreme ruler; you'll even have the benefit of hindsight

Celts traded Pierce and KG even though they won a chip with them (and honestly should have knocked Heat out the next season but for bad reffing in game 6) to stockpile assets. We won't repeat that haul but it is a perfectly legitimate strategy to consider. He may be worth more to other teams than he is to us at present; and this doesn't have to be taken as a knock against Melo -- it could just be the reality. For example, i don't know how such a trade would even be possible but if i were the Cavs and looking at Golden State I might think more scoring could come in handy in the matchup. Personally I don't see this happening and don't see us getting max back; instead we have t the best we can with him, and for me the priority should be future-focused.

I'll iluminate you as the guy thats trying to **** on a 54 win season, and Melos year, by saying we didnt do anything except get within one game of the conference finals. And when was the last time, prior to Melo, we got that close? I know your not saying there was an effort to surround him with players in 2104 and 2015? And yes Phil has tried. Pretty decent effort except for a Kidd like PG and a Chandler like Center. Which is a center who plays good defense but not invisible on offense. But what I love about your comment is that your saying Melo, only All Star that wants to be here, does not give us a better chance to do the same. How many games have we lost by 3 or less? What would our record be if we won those? Not exactly blow up the roster/**** on the superstar type performances. Add the amount of injuries we have had. New team. But yeah, I get it, **** on the guy who has been our best player. I know that hurts for many on here. As for vague, I have said, since signing, Noah is our biggest problem/mistake! He puts KP and Melo out of position. Liability on offense, cant guard stretch offenses. And Whats our record without him? Is that vague? Do agree that it was tough getting a good point guard this past off season. Like Rose but not as PG.

maybe simpler words will help you. Who would you have surrounded Melo with?

You would have to reset and not have the contract of Amare and preferably Tyson taking up all of your cap space. But if you just start with the Tyson trade Crowder would have been a nice addition. Also the Knicks could have traded for Lowry. Lowry, Crowder and Melo would be a good start. Not sure but the contracts the knick management gave out and the picks that they traded were not Melo's fault. Only one first rounder was traded in the melo deal. Maybe draft Gobert instead of Hardaway, especially when you already have JR and Shump. A lot could have been done differently. The Knick management handcuffed themselves trading picks to clear cap space, making marginal picks when they did have a pick, signing Amare to the deal that the doctors in Phoenix said he would not be able to fulfill etc. The guys that have passed through during Melo's tenure have mostly been marginal guys who are out of the league or barely in the league at this point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/23/2017  3:57 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:
jrodmc wrote:His reasons for Melo to leave don't even reach the intelligence level of the haters on this board:

2) Melo is numb and not playing for anyone other than people on the team and in the lockerroom. Is he supposed to play for the GM and the President, I forget?
5) Hey, the Knicks suck again. Melo's never been through that before, right? Hey old guy, go now, hurry!
6) Melo, I really really really want you to win a chip. Somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe China!
7) Melo is dynamic scorer, but is too slow to play SF, but too fragile to play PF. But he doesn't post up enough. But he takes too many jumpers. Or something. Maybe he could convert to playing free safety for the Jets...
8) Melo's fat and slow, by the way. We love saying this. Phil laughs so hard the seeds come through his nose.
10) Or that the Knicks really suck right now? Phil is 70-something now. He repeats himself alot.

You can tell Charlie didn't get all this from Phil because the word triangle wasn't mentioned and Phil only makes at most, three sides to an argument. So there.

The whole article basically made it clear Melo didn't care about winning he just a wants to be in NY because he likes it here and loves the attention of being a star player in NY. As a human being I am fine with that. As a Knick fan I want him gone ASAP just because we need to do a rebuild and he could bring in picks. If he stays the Knicks will suck, if he leaves the Knicks will suck but with more draft picks/youth.

That's the whole article. While both choices are bleak the latter gives us a better chance to improve quickest to be ready to compete on KP's timeline

2) And you know he's just trying to knock down an open three because he actually is playing to lose, right? You scan his neurons every day and all that comes back is "Please lose this game, Please miss shots that matter, Please lose this game".

The whole article says nothing other than crap guessing. Melo must want to win, but only when it means he'd be somewhere else. Do you see how that's repeated ad nauseum?

How about noticing the bruising he takes night in and night out with no calls? Why does he continue to do that? Why does he ever bother playing brother ball with Kuz? Because these are facts that would negate negativity, and we can't have that in ESPN-HATE-THYSELF-NYC-AT-ALL-COSTS Knick fanland.

As a Knick fan I've noticed that Phil has already rebuilt the entire team twice. I also notice that the only thing that's not new and shiny is Melo, so obviously that means we cant' win with Melo. Even though we have. But enough about that.

Please continue hawking goobers down the Hinkie path, no matter what the Sixers do. That looks like so much fun.

Jr there comes a point where cutting ties to help the team makes sense. He should still be able to bring back a good asset tally. You said being the Sixers wouldn't be fun but all of these good teams got their players via high draft pick-- so did the Knicks 32 years ago. What's the difference in the melo Knicks and the 76 era anyway? They are just as good as us they beat us and now they will pass is unless we strategize a plan to re make part of this team. 15 years we spent so much money and we won 1 playoff series. Roi is worst in sports history -- time to change starting with getting younger

You make a reasonable point. But your excluding one thing...When we surrounded him with decent array of players to fit roles and some solid vets, then got out of his way and fed him the ball, we won 54 games. When we gave him a line up consisting of NBA rejects and forced him to go with the glorious TRIANGLE, we have done what? Your reasonable but now time to be objective.

My take is the team is not just about Melo. I wanted Seth Curry for 3 years and 10 mm @ 26 and we grabbed Courtney Lee for 4 years 50 mm@ 31. I wanted to draft Malcolm Brogdon and Derrick Jones Jr I wanted to sign Christian Wood 3 years 3mm. What would be the difference other than we'd have 110mm less$ out there and 4 young players that we could've integrated all of them. Spending the money on " proven" vets like you said we wanted to surround melo was outrageously expensive and a massive failure. We need to get younger and more athletic. You can make mistakes with the players I mentioned u can't make them with Lee and Noah.

I'll tell you right now I'd like Rose back but we need to make it reasonable and a line in the sand or just accept he's not right for us. This is a good draft a game changer if we get top 7 and execute in the 2 nd rd as well. But if we can change melo into a top 10 pick + cap space and we have 2 top 10s we will not care if we do or don't have Melo

RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/23/2017  4:22 PM
BRIGGS, you did want Seth at $6M per.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

1/23/2017  4:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:

Who do you surround him with now? And one can make the argument that Phil attempted that approach with Rose, Noah, Jennings and Lee. And while it's fair to criticize their individual and collective performances (if you're inclined) all you offer are vague suggestions that we would have been better to surround an aging (super)star with some others, unnamed role players to repeat a performance (2d round exit) when Melo was better. Why don't you illuminate us all and say what the roster would have been if you were supreme ruler; you'll even have the benefit of hindsight

Celts traded Pierce and KG even though they won a chip with them (and honestly should have knocked Heat out the next season but for bad reffing in game 6) to stockpile assets. We won't repeat that haul but it is a perfectly legitimate strategy to consider. He may be worth more to other teams than he is to us at present; and this doesn't have to be taken as a knock against Melo -- it could just be the reality. For example, i don't know how such a trade would even be possible but if i were the Cavs and looking at Golden State I might think more scoring could come in handy in the matchup. Personally I don't see this happening and don't see us getting max back; instead we have t the best we can with him, and for me the priority should be future-focused.

I'll iluminate you as the guy thats trying to **** on a 54 win season, and Melos year, by saying we didnt do anything except get within one game of the conference finals. And when was the last time, prior to Melo, we got that close? I know your not saying there was an effort to surround him with players in 2104 and 2015? And yes Phil has tried. Pretty decent effort except for a Kidd like PG and a Chandler like Center. Which is a center who plays good defense but not invisible on offense. But what I love about your comment is that your saying Melo, only All Star that wants to be here, does not give us a better chance to do the same. How many games have we lost by 3 or less? What would our record be if we won those? Not exactly blow up the roster/**** on the superstar type performances. Add the amount of injuries we have had. New team. But yeah, I get it, **** on the guy who has been our best player. I know that hurts for many on here. As for vague, I have said, since signing, Noah is our biggest problem/mistake! He puts KP and Melo out of position. Liability on offense, cant guard stretch offenses. And Whats our record without him? Is that vague? Do agree that it was tough getting a good point guard this past off season. Like Rose but not as PG.

You would have to reset and not have the contract of Amare and preferably Tyson taking up all of your cap space. But if you just start with the Tyson trade Crowder would have been a nice addition. Also the Knicks could have traded for Lowry. Lowry, Crowder and Melo would be a good start. Not sure but the contracts the knick management gave out and the picks that they traded were not Melo's fault. Only one first rounder was traded in the melo deal. Maybe draft Gobert instead of Hardaway, especially when you already have JR and Shump. A lot could have been done differently. The Knick management handcuffed themselves trading picks to clear cap space, making marginal picks when they did have a pick, signing Amare to the deal that the doctors in Phoenix said he would not be able to fulfill etc. The guys that have passed through during Melo's tenure have mostly been marginal guys who are out of the league or barely in the league at this point.

Fair enough, but the original premise was surrounding Melo with appropriate role players. I think we tried that -- twice at least. Once with Kidd et al. which worked to an extent, but they were old and we mortgaged our future. And we arguably tried again this off-season, but dealing with the options then at hand. Personally, I don't like that approach. I don't see how we do better than we did, when Melo was a better player. In addition, you have to contend with Cavs and Lebron (far superior to Melo in every imaginable category) surrounded by more than role players with guys like Kyrie and Love

Without any disrespect to Melo (who I don't hate -- but it's fair to say am frustrated by), we might be better off doing what the Celts or any other well run organization would do at this point. It all comes down to what options are available

(5)(5)
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/23/2017  4:33 PM
crzymdups wrote:What Phil is doing here via Rosen is pretty damn cowardly.

Here's the article-

http://www.fanragsports.com/nba/knicks/rosen-carmelo-anthony-stay-leave-knicks/

Of course the most intriguing issue surrounding the Knicks these days is the future of Carmelo Anthony.

After unequivocally insisting that he wants to stay in New York, he has recently recanted, saying he would waive his no-trade clause if the Knicks really wanted him gone.

Here’s a pro-and-con, devil’s advocate summary of the reasons — from the respective points of view of both Melo and the Knicks — why both of these options make sense.

WHY MELO SHOULD STAY

He and his wife La La love living in New York. This is totally understandable given the constant, and wide, variety of cultural attractions, media connections and brand-amplifying possibilities available in the Big Apple. Especially for a national celebrity with money to burn.
This is his sixth season living and working in the city where he was born and mostly raised, so he feels incredibly comfortable there.
Melo is still a dynamic go-to scorer. Although he doesn’t post up as much as he used to he can always create a good shot on his often spectacular and resourceful one-on-one moves.
He’s the highly recognizable face of the franchise.
Melo sincerely wants to be “The Man,” and be a prime mover in the team’s return to glory.
The Knicks have a locker room full of good people who support him through these troubled times.
Madison Square Garden is always filled to the rafters with enthusiastic fans who are eagerly waiting for good things to happen.

WHY MELO SHOULD LEAVE

Many published reports claim that several unnamed individuals in the team’s front office want him traded.
When Melo says that he’s “numb” to Phil Jackson, and upon hearing these reports, he says that he’s only playing for his teammates. This is an indication of just how isolated he feels.
The New York media has always been cynical and probing, looking to exacerbate even the slightest hint of discontent in any of the local teams. And they all have their sights set on everything Melo does and says. The pressure, then, has to be distracting and exhausting.
He’ll be 33 in May and should be understandably wary of spending what’s left of his peak years on a team that needs to commit to a rebuilding process.
With the Knicks in such disarray, there doesn’t seem much of an attractive future for him in New York.
It’s likewise understandable that he’d like to play for a team that’s a legitimate championship contender.
Lately, he’s been playing more and more time at the power forward position. With his diminished bounce, this is a good fit. However, having to bang with bigger stronger opponents will accelerate the breaking down of his already somewhat vulnerable body.
He was publicly chastised by Jackson for holding the ball too long before making his move. This tendency breaks down any semblance of a quick-footed, ball-sharing offense. As such, Melo’s adhesive hands greatly inhibit the development of the team’s young players.
His poor defense also takes its toll.
Melo’s lack of late-game production in the team’s most recent painful defeats has to frustrate him to the max.
As the losses pile up, many of the fans and the media place the blame squarely on him. As Walt Frazier recently said, the same thing happened to him and Willis Reed whenever the Knicks struggled. But this kind of blame game is routine in New York. It’s why New York is the best place to win and the worst place to lose.
At this stage in his career, Melo might thrive as being the second or even third option for a championship-caliber team.
How much longer can he stand being in the center of so much drama?
Far from making any suggestions, I’m merely trying to enumerate why whatever happens will likely happen.

And I should re-state for the record that these are my ideas, my opinions and have nothing to do with whatever Phil Jackson might or might not be thinking. I have NEVER acted as a mouthpiece for Jackson, and that remains the case here.

am I missing something? How is this on Phil? Where is the inside info? This is nothing more than the eye test. I mean any of the fans on this board could essentially say the same thing.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

1/23/2017  4:41 PM
Knixkik wrote:Does everyone really think this is phil talking?

Regardless the article is beautiful and takes so many subtle/not-so-subtle shots at Melo that Rose should be considered for a Pulitzer.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2017  4:44 PM
fishmike wrote:

Here's the article-

Of course the most intriguing issue surrounding the Knicks these days is the future of Carmelo Anthony.

After unequivocally insisting that he wants to stay in New York, he has recently recanted, saying he would waive his no-trade clause if the Knicks really wanted him gone.

Here’s a pro-and-con, devil’s advocate summary of the reasons — from the respective points of view of both Melo and the Knicks — why both of these options make sense.

WHY MELO SHOULD STAY

He and his wife La La love living in New York. This is totally understandable given the constant, and wide, variety of cultural attractions, media connections and brand-amplifying possibilities available in the Big Apple. Especially for a national celebrity with money to burn.
This is his sixth season living and working in the city where he was born and mostly raised, so he feels incredibly comfortable there.
Melo is still a dynamic go-to scorer. Although he doesn’t post up as much as he used to he can always create a good shot on his often spectacular and resourceful one-on-one moves.
Melo sincerely wants to be “The Man,” and be a prime mover in the team’s return to glory.
The Knicks have a locker room full of good people who support him through these troubled times.
Madison Square Garden is always filled to the rafters with enthusiastic fans who are eagerly waiting for good things to happen.

WHY MELO SHOULD LEAVE

Many published reports claim that several unnamed individuals in the team’s front office want him traded.
When Melo says that he’s “numb” to Phil Jackson, and upon hearing these reports, he says that he’s only playing for his teammates. This is an indication of just how isolated he feels.
The New York media has always been cynical and probing, looking to exacerbate even the slightest hint of discontent in any of the local teams. And they all have their sights set on everything Melo does and says. The pressure, then, has to be distracting and exhausting.
He’ll be 33 in May and should be understandably wary of spending what’s left of his peak years on a team that needs to commit to a rebuilding process.
With the Knicks in such disarray, there doesn’t seem much of an attractive future for him in New York.
It’s likewise understandable that he’d like to play for a team that’s a legitimate championship contender.
Lately, he’s been playing more and more time at the power forward position. With his diminished bounce, this is a good fit. However, having to bang with bigger stronger opponents will accelerate the breaking down of his already somewhat vulnerable body.
He was publicly chastised by Jackson for holding the ball too long before making his move. This tendency breaks down any semblance of a quick-footed, ball-sharing offense. As such, Melo’s adhesive hands greatly inhibit the development of the team’s young players.
Melo’s lack of late-game production in the team’s most recent painful defeats has to frustrate him to the max.
As the losses pile up, many of the fans and the media place the blame squarely on him. As Walt Frazier recently said, the same thing happened to him and Willis Reed whenever the Knicks struggled. But this kind of blame game is routine in New York. It’s why New York is the best place to win and the worst place to lose.
At this stage in his career, Melo might thrive as being the second or even third option for a championship-caliber team.
Far from making any suggestions, I’m merely trying to enumerate why whatever happens will likely happen.

And I should re-state for the record that these are my ideas, my opinions and have nothing to do with whatever Phil Jackson might or might not be thinking. I have NEVER acted as a mouthpiece for Jackson, and that remains the case here.

am I missing something? How is this on Phil? Where is the inside info? This is nothing more than the eye test. I mean any of the fans on this board could essentially say the same thing.

Alt Melo

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/23/2017  5:03 PM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:

Sorry, too busy putting aside your attempt to **** on a 54 win Melo season. But see no response. Or do I need to use simpler words?
Who would I have surrounded him with, let me give you a clue since you can't read, NOT NOAH. I'll take Rolo, Cole, Hibbert, any Center that doesn't cost 17M and can hit a foul shot. How is that for amazing GM abiloty. And, once again, we are not too far away from surrounding him with pieces to win, as suggested above. But that would be without Phil telling him not to hold the ball. Guard play, like Lee and would have preffered guys like Bayless and Augustin, **** even Curry.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/23/2017  5:28 PM
fishmike wrote:

Here's the article-

WHY MELO SHOULD STAY

WHY MELO SHOULD LEAVE

The inside info is in every single sitdown interview Rosen gets with Phil that no one else in the league gets. If he wrote something Phil didn't want out there, he'd lose that access. Access which has literally been the basis for his entire career as a writer. Rosen writes what Phil wants him to write. Evidence of this is that there is a disclaimer at the bottom of every Knicks column he writes that he is his own man and these are his own opinions not Phil Jackson's. This is not something people have to do when they are actually speaking their own mind.

If you don't think this is Phil sending a message to Melo with this in the same way he used the media to send messages to Kobe and Michael... that's totally fine. I think it's pretty obvious, but whatevs. I think that tactic worked better when he was a coach and in daily contact with the team. He's throwing guys under the bus who he hasn't really built a relationship with and it is backfiring.

Whatever, any time I try to question Phil people come out of the woodwork to scream "11 rings!"... I think he's done a ****ty job from day one, other than KP. Everything else has been dicey as hell.

¿ △ ?
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/23/2017  5:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  5:35 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:

Sorry, too busy putting aside your attempt to **** on a 54 win Melo season. But see no response. Or do I need to use simpler words?
Who would I have surrounded him with, let me give you a clue since you can't read, NOT NOAH. I'll take Rolo, Cole, Hibbert, any Center that doesn't cost 17M and can hit a foul shot. How is that for amazing GM abiloty. And, once again, we are not too far away from surrounding him with pieces to win, as suggested above. But that would be without Phil telling him not to hold the ball. Guard play, like Lee and would have preffered guys like Bayless and Augustin, **** even Curry.

for starters, i don't know why you keep saying I'm ****ting on Melo or the 54 win season, but whatever. Kind of Kindergarten rhetoric if you ask me.

I'm glad you're not our GM though -- even with the gimme of hindsight, these are your preferences?

Noah
GP MPG FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% RPG APG BLKPG STLPG PFPG TOPG PPG
2016-17 39 23.0 2.4-4.8 .492 0.0-0.0 .000 0.8-1.8 .429 9.2 2.4 0.9 0.7 2.9 1.3 5.5
Career 611 29.0 3.5-7.1 .490 0.0-0.0 .000 2.1-3.0 .700 9.4 2.9 1.4 0.8 2.9 1.7 9.1

Hibbert
2016-17 37 16.2 1.9-3.5 .534 0.0-0.0 .000 1.5-1.9 .800 3.6 0.5 1.1 0.2 2.4 0.7 5.3
Career 651 25.0 4.0-8.6 .464 0.0-0.0 .250 2.1-2.8 .755 6.4 1.4 1.8 0.4 3.2 1.6 10.1

aldrich
2016-17 39 10.6 0.9-1.7 .523 0.0-0.0 .000 0.4-0.5 .667 3.3 0.6 0.5 0.5 1.6 0.3 2.1
Career 295 10.9 1.4-2.7 .531 0.0-0.0 .000 0.6-0.8 .747 3.7 0.6 0.8 0.4 1.6 0.7 3.4

rolo
2016-17 45 28.3 4.3-8.8 .482 0.0-0.0 .000 0.8-1.3 .655 7.0 0.8 1.7 0.2 1.8 1.0 9.4
Career 592 22.6 3.5-6.6 .528 0.0-0.0 .000 1.6-2.1 .759 5.5 0.7 1.3 0.3 2.1 1.0 8.6

(5)(5)
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/23/2017  5:38 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Here's the article-

WHY MELO SHOULD STAY

WHY MELO SHOULD LEAVE

The inside info is in every single sitdown interview Rosen gets with Phil that no one else in the league gets. If he wrote something Phil didn't want out there, he'd lose that access. Access which has literally been the basis for his entire career as a writer. Rosen writes what Phil wants him to write. Evidence of this is that there is a disclaimer at the bottom of every Knicks column he writes that he is his own man and these are his own opinions not Phil Jackson's. This is not something people have to do when they are actually speaking their own mind.

If you don't think this is Phil sending a message to Melo with this in the same way he used the media to send messages to Kobe and Michael... that's totally fine. I think it's pretty obvious, but whatevs. I think that tactic worked better when he was a coach and in daily contact with the team. He's throwing guys under the bus who he hasn't really built a relationship with and it is backfiring.

Whatever, any time I try to question Phil people come out of the woodwork to scream "11 rings!"... I think he's done a ****ty job from day one, other than KP. Everything else has been dicey as hell.

I would only add that Phil adding Willy, Kuz, KOQ, Baker, Holiday and Plumlee were good moves. CLee is a solid move. Taking a flyer on Rose and Jennings was a smart move that doesn't lock us in at PG.
Jeff Hornacek is a good coach IMO. Not all moves are spectacular and Noah isn't living up to hopes but when you factor in not giving away our Picks it's not as bad as the recent losses make it seem.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/23/2017  6:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  6:01 PM
We have our picks for a change, some good prospects, a potential franchise player not even in his prime yet, cap space this summer. Saying that Phil had done almost nothing right is way off base.

Id be real happy if he went back to his original plan. A gradual rebuild around Porzingis, no more expensive retreads unless its to get further under the cap. Phil has to forget trying to compete with LeBron, Curry, etc.. this team should be on a different schedule.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/23/2017  6:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  6:51 PM
GustavBahler wrote:We have our picks for a change, some good prospects, a potential franchise player not even in his prime yet, cap space this summer. Saying that Phil had done almost nothing right is way off base.

Id be real happy if he went back to his original plan. A gradual rebuild around Porzingis, no more expensive retreads unless its to get further under the cap. Phil has to forget trying to compete with LeBron, Curry, etc.. this team should be on a different schedule.

Some of his personnel moves have been good. And keeping the draft picks is wonderful. I really hope he sticks to that and doesn't make a panic trade at the deadline this year. Some of the kids are nice pieces, but this time last year the "kids we're building around" included Galloway and Grant... some even included Derrick Williams in that group. Robin Lopez was almost always mentioned as a great signing (myself included).

Rosters turnover - it's the way of the NBA.

I think Phil's biggest failure has been as a leader. His rift with Melo is obvious and toxic to the team. They're 7-17 since he made his remarks about Melo needing to move the ball more, after the team started 12-9. The lack of punishment or Phil addressing it made the DRose AWOL feel even more toxic. Phil not addressing his good friend Rosen throwing Melo under the bus seemed to be a tacit endorsement, whether it was or not. There's a void of leadership at the top of the Knicks. We hear all the time that opposing GMs don't even know who to call to make a trade inquiry. The hiring of an unproven Fisher and then cutting ties with him abruptly. Installing Rambis to install the Triangle. Handpicking two or three different rosters around Melo, none of which are fits for the Triangle or for Melo. Hiring Hornacek I count as a good move, but he undermined him 6 games into the season by installing Rambis as defensive coordinator. The defense has been terrible. He undermined Hornacek again by not punishing Rose for going AWOL - Rose has since been seen screaming at Hornacek in games and I've seen KOQ disrespect Hornacek, too. This comes from the tone Phil has set or has failed to set.

To me - there is a massive leadership void at the top of the organization, which is the exact role they need Phil to fill... and are paying him $12M a year to fill. So while he has had some good personnel moves (I love Willy)... it has failed to come together and there is in-fighting and his silence and lack of leadership only makes it worse. He is absolutely leaking info to Rosen - heck, ESPN did an entire series each of the last two summers where he basically ripped the game of almost every player on the roster. For him to do that is one thing, but for him to do that and have almost no contact with the team... for him to rip them publicly rather than address it in private... it's bad leadership. And I really hope no one says we don't know what Phil says to the players in private - look at the quotes throughout the year, players are constantly saying they don't really talk to Phil or hear from him.

He's done a bad job. They're en route to missing the playoffs four straight springs with Phil at the helm. Maybe the first one wasn't his fault since he came on board mid-season... but the others are absolutely his fault. He blew up a roster that had won 54 games the year before and finished the season on an 18-6 tear once everyone got healthy to win 37 and finish a game out of the playoffs. He critiqued the roster and blew it up and hasn't won anything approaching 37 games since. I thought we'd get to 37+ easy this year, but his own bungling has cost the team - calling out Lebron with a borderline racist "posse" comment, calling out Melo for not moving the ball enough when the team was surging, being silent and not punishing Rose for abandoning the team, showing no accountability exists here, leaving his coach to twist and try to explain where Rose was, and finally - feeding these bogus columns to Charley Rosen. Maybe this specific column wasn't fed to him by Phil, but I guarantee Phil signed off on it. And Phil absolutely provided info for the last hatchet job of Melo (a column that ludicrously asserted Noah was a good value signing) and he certainly talks to Phil for the ESPN Phil Diary feature every summer where he rips the team to pieces - every single player on the roster (including Melo) has been brought here by Phil. For him to rip them is the height of bad form and cowardice. Heaven forbid we blame the fricking Triangle or the defensive coach who Phil made Hornacek keep on the bench, despite the fact that Rambis was openly campaigning for the head coach position at the end of last season.

¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/23/2017  6:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  6:52 PM
martin wrote:BRIGGS, you did want Seth at $6M per.

I "would've" paid up to 6mm a year--but I certainly wouldnt pay pass what other teams would pay. 3 years 10-12mm wouldve done it. Thats the whole gig--I would NOT spend my money on OLDER non star players. The only guy I was willing to pay up on was Crabbe at 17mm but he was not going to come here--hes also 23 at the time. So keep the money low and build athletic and young--save cash for the right time--the Knicks get it and spend it. Thats the whole game plan--get vets to build around Melo--it worked one time in 6 years and that fell apart when it counted.

RIP Crushalot😞
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/23/2017  7:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2017  7:20 PM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
wargames wrote:

for starters, i don't know why you keep saying I'm ****ting on Melo or the 54 win season, but whatever. Kind of Kindergarten rhetoric if you ask me.

I'm glad you're not our GM though -- even with the gimme of hindsight, these are your preferences?

Noah
2016-17 39 23.0 2.4-4.8 .492 0.0-0.0 .000 0.8-1.8 .429 9.2 2.4 0.9 0.7 2.9 1.3 5.5
Career 611 29.0 3.5-7.1 .490 0.0-0.0 .000 2.1-3.0 .700 9.4 2.9 1.4 0.8 2.9 1.7 9.1

Hibbert
2016-17 37 16.2 1.9-3.5 .534 0.0-0.0 .000 1.5-1.9 .800 3.6 0.5 1.1 0.2 2.4 0.7 5.3
Career 651 25.0 4.0-8.6 .464 0.0-0.0 .250 2.1-2.8 .755 6.4 1.4 1.8 0.4 3.2 1.6 10.1

aldrich
2016-17 39 10.6 0.9-1.7 .523 0.0-0.0 .000 0.4-0.5 .667 3.3 0.6 0.5 0.5 1.6 0.3 2.1
Career 295 10.9 1.4-2.7 .531 0.0-0.0 .000 0.6-0.8 .747 3.7 0.6 0.8 0.4 1.6 0.7 3.4

rolo
2016-17 45 28.3 4.3-8.8 .482 0.0-0.0 .000 0.8-1.3 .655 7.0 0.8 1.7 0.2 1.8 1.0 9.4
Career 592 22.6 3.5-6.6 .528 0.0-0.0 .000 1.6-2.1 .759 5.5 0.7 1.3 0.3 2.1 1.0 8.6

You wised up to me for not answering your question. Fair enough. But when I do the same its "Kinderrgarden"?

Great stats, very in depth, informative... but you forgot a small thing...How much are they making? And for how many years were they signed for? Small small fact. In spite of your fishing tactic, no cigar.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Rosen "wrote" another article about Melo

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy