Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/19/2017  10:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2017  10:43 PM
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Wizards couldn't stop DRose / KP pick and roll. So of course we go ice cold Iso Melo on the last two possessions. Makes no sense.

This.

Rose had 2 assists, must have missed that part.

The Wizards were sticking like glue to KP. It set up Rose for drives to the rim.

Would Rose have passed to him anyway? We have season's worth of statistical evidence so far to indicate that the answer is no. 2 assists crzy, thats not good, even for a backup.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/19/2017  10:42 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Anyone that ignores giving up 100 points in 3 and is blaming the loss on offense should give up talking Basketball.

The defense in the 4th was actually solid. Or the wiz got tired. In the first and third it was terrible.

I gotta say - baker did not play well tonight. Anyone have his plus/minus? I'm guessing it was bad.

¿ △ ?
holfresh
Member: #1081

1/19/2017  10:42 PM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:I missed the game tonight. I was able to listen a little but not home to see it end.

Looking at the box score, I am confused as to why WillyHG did not play? Was he available? I see Plumlee got some time but not Willy.

He had 17 and 1ast night and coul match up with Gortat too!

So Ingather it was ISO Melo at the end again? He will never learn.

Yeah..How come Willy didn't get any burn tonight?..After a nice game last night?

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
1/19/2017  10:43 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:Wall got easy buckets for Gortat and Jason Smith! Where are the highlights from Rose to KP???

You do realize Wall and Gortat have been playing together for four years now?

KP and Rose have less than 30 games on the court together and no training camp.

It took Wall and Gortat years to learn the timing on the pick and roll.

Also the pick and roll between KP and Rose was getting Rose drives to the hoop the entire 4th quarter because the Wizards were afraid to leave KP.

Obviously Wall and Gortat have history but You can't tell me that if you have ALL DAY in the gym to work with a guy on a 2 man game you should be able to develop more chemistry than we've seen so far. As i've asked before, where are all the Rose to KP highlight videos??? There should be tons of stuff. It doesn't take that much to develop chemistry in a 2 man game.

crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:44 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Wizards couldn't stop DRose / KP pick and roll. So of course we go ice cold Iso Melo on the last two possessions. Makes no sense.

This.

The Wizards were sticking like glue to KP. It set up Rose for drives to the rim.

Would Rose have passed to him anyway? We have season's worth of statistical evidence so far to indicate that the answer is no. 2 assists crzy, thats not good, even for a backup.

As I said to nixluva - rose and KP have like 30 games played together and no training camp. It took Wall and Gortat years to develop their timing on the pick and roll.

Also, at the beginning of the season the Knicks were running triangle sets and a KP / Rose pick and roll was not even being used.

¿ △ ?
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/19/2017  10:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2017  10:49 PM

That's my biggest problem with Melo. He will always play hero ball even when it's not needed. The way this team is scoring and getting good looks the last few games, there is no reason for Melo to play that way. If things get cold and things are not working, yes. In that situation it was just typical "It's my team so I have to make the big plays now" stuff. It's ridiculous.

The other thing about Melo, it's become clear that Melo and KP can not play 3/4 together. KP can play 4 or Melo can. KP is probably best served because of lack of strength to play 4 and 5. We also can't play Willy, a really talented scorer because of this issue. I find it tough to see a way where we can Melo minutes at 4, minutes that a player of KP's caliber deserves and then also give Willy 20 minutes that he deserves becuase of his talent level.

Rose runs the screen and roll best with Willy and Plumlee because they roll well. KP and Rose pick and roll is effective for Rose as a scorer, not so much overall as a team play. Rose is old school, he doesn't look back for a big behind him much spotting up. He sees rollers. He has chemistry with Plumlee and Willy. KP is effective for Rose because KP's man doesn't want to leave a shooter like him open, but teams will quickly realize that Rose rarely passes to KP once he drives. That's fine, because after screen setting drives, Rose is quite effecient. I see Rose as a SG, who has some point guard skills, not a PG. I don't care about that stuff as much as his lack of effort on defense irks me. He has to play harder on defense. That's where I get upset with him.

crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:46 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:Wall got easy buckets for Gortat and Jason Smith! Where are the highlights from Rose to KP???

Also the pick and roll between KP and Rose was getting Rose drives to the hoop the entire 4th quarter because the Wizards were afraid to leave KP.

Obviously Wall and Gortat have history but You can't tell me that if you have ALL DAY in the gym to work with a guy on a 2 man game you should be able to develop more chemistry than we've seen so far. As i've asked before, where are all the Rose to KP highlight videos??? There should be tons of stuff. It doesn't take that much to develop chemistry in a 2 man game.

The triangle you used to advocate for didn't allow a KP / Rose pick and roll from the top of the key like that. It's a wrinkle Hornacek has added. It can get better. But what do you want to bet Phil makes a fuss through his mouth piece that the Knicks need to get back to Triangle principals.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
1/19/2017  10:48 PM
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

This.

As I said to nixluva - rose and KP have like 30 games played together and no training camp. It took Wall and Gortat years to develop their timing on the pick and roll.

Also, at the beginning of the season the Knicks were running triangle sets and a KP / Rose pick and roll was not even being used.

I'm sorry but you can't tell me that it would take CP3 or some other good PG that long to run PnR with KP and make it work. It's a damn 2 man game!!! You have NOTHING but time in the gym to pull your guy aside and just work on PnR.
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/19/2017  10:48 PM

Agreed. We need a different identity than our current one: I.e., Melo telling his teammates eff you. I'll take bad shots, miss FTs, play poor D, and act the victim

(5)(5)
crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:49 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

This.

I'm sorry but you can't tell me that it would take CP3 or some other good PG that long to run PnR with KP and make it work. It's a damn 2 man game!!! You have NOTHING but time in the gym to pull your guy aside and just work on PnR.

So your argument is that DRose is not as good of a passer as Chris Paul? Ok, I concede that point.

¿ △ ?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/19/2017  10:51 PM
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

This.

I dont see someone who is having trouble finding KP open, I see someone who hasn't really tried. Don't believe training camp was the reason that Jennings has found KP with far fewer possessions, its that he was making a concerted effort to get KP going. I just dont see that from Rose, not even close. Don't believe the lack of training camp explains it.

nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

1/19/2017  10:51 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

This.

Rose is a driving shooting guard with some passing skills. He is not a point guard. He plays point guard because of his size. He has better effectiveness with Baker or Jennings because they run point and he can just focus on scoring.

I have no problem with the way he operates now that I see him play at full gear. He's getting to the basket at will. My only issue with him is defense. He takes too many possessions off ala Melo. Not as many as Melo, but still quite a bit of that "I"m a star so I'll conserve my energy for offense".

crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:53 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
SocraticBallin22 wrote:

This.

Rose is a driving shooting guard with some passing skills. He is not a point guard. He plays point guard because of his size. He has better effectiveness with Baker or Jennings because they run point and he can just focus on scoring.

I have no problem with the way he operates now that I see him play at full gear. He's getting to the basket at will. My only issue with him is defense. He takes too many possessions off ala Melo. Not as many as Melo, but still quite a bit of that "I"m a star so I'll conserve my energy for offense".

Yeah I agree with that. It's also better to hide him on defense on a shooting guard. Too many PGs just carve up DRose or catch him napping.

¿ △ ?
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/19/2017  10:53 PM
holfresh wrote:

Kenny Smith just said the Knicks never stick with what works..

Smith thinks the Knicks could be better with better offensive and defensive schemes..

I'm tired..

He was right though. We didn't come back from 14 down by having Melo take difficult shots

(5)(5)
nixluva
USA
1/19/2017  10:54 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

The triangle you used to advocate for didn't allow a KP / Rose pick and roll from the top of the key like that. It's a wrinkle Hornacek has added. It can get better. But what do you want to bet Phil makes a fuss through his mouth piece that the Knicks need to get back to Triangle principals.

Actually you most definitely could run a PnR in the Triangle at any time. This notion that you can't is way off. If you do you would want the other players to space out once Rose Calls for the screen, which isn't hard at all. This is besides the point. Rose and KP should be a dynamic duo in the PnR by now. If it was something they ran a lot all season we'd all be talking about it but it hasn't been.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/19/2017  10:56 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Not that its why we lost but here is the thing I keep bringing up about KP, he does not like like to dive off PnR. Neither does KO. Prefer Willy for that. Also, we do not have any down low presence other than Melo. Prefer Willy for that. Maybe I am still feelin the Boston performance but we just didnt have anything down low without him. Shit, even prefered ROLO because he cut to the hole. Hard to get easy outside shots without a inside out game.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:56 PM
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Actually you most definitely could run a PnR in the Triangle at any time. This notion that you can't is way off. If you do you would want the other players to space out once Rose Calls for the screen, which isn't hard at all. This is besides the point. Rose and KP should be a dynamic duo in the PnR by now. If it was something they ran a lot all season we'd all be talking about it but it hasn't been.

Really dude. Enough. Are they running the Triangle now? No they are not. Not remotely.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
1/19/2017  10:57 PM
¿ △ ?
holfresh
Member: #1081

1/19/2017  10:59 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Not that its why we lost but here is the thing I keep bringing up about KP, he does not like like to dive off PnR. Neither does KO. Prefer Willy for that. Also, we do not have any down low presence other than Melo. Prefer Willy for that. Maybe I am still feelin the Boston performance but we just didnt have anything down low without him. Shit, even prefered ROLO because he cut to the hole. Hard to get easy outside shots without a inside out game.

KO doesn't roll to the basket on PnR..

nixluva
USA
1/19/2017  11:00 PM
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
nixluva wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Really dude. Enough. Are they running the Triangle now? No they are not. Not remotely.

Yeah i'm well aware of what they run if you haven't noticed. Please don't challenge me on my knowledge of offensive basketball. It's become tiresome to me. The point still stands that Rose should be able to consistently get KP the ball if he was focused on doing it. Rose has total freedom with the ball to call for a screen at any time and if he was smart he'd have KP come out on the regular and they'd have worked on it in practice in the gym all year. It should be a consistent and spectacular weapon by now.
GameThread: KP back tonight v WAS

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy