[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/19/2017  3:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/19/2017  3:58 PM
Nalod wrote:IM not so sure Issac if on the board at 8 would not be a good pick for us.
My thinking is you take the best player available regardless of position.
The "PG" thing is not as important in my mind as "good guard". Issac is not that, but if we can obtain one thru free agency and draft Issac who might have a great upside as a stretch 4, or 3 then you go that route.
Teams when draft by position sometimes live to regret that decision.

If that's the case, then we should have Lauri Markonnen up there as well. I agree on Isaac 💯%. Just don't think he's there for us. If he is, we grab him and call it a day. We're going to suck next year. We can always start circling PG prospects for next year.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
5/19/2017  5:38 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:IM not so sure Issac if on the board at 8 would not be a good pick for us.
My thinking is you take the best player available regardless of position.
The "PG" thing is not as important in my mind as "good guard". Issac is not that, but if we can obtain one thru free agency and draft Issac who might have a great upside as a stretch 4, or 3 then you go that route.
Teams when draft by position sometimes live to regret that decision.

If that's the case, then we should have Lauri Markonnen up there as well. I agree on Isaac 💯%. Just don't think he's there for us. If he is, we grab him and call it a day. We're going to suck next year. We can always start circling PG prospects for next year.

Phil is gonna try to get another pick IMO! I think he likes the talent in this draft and if he can get 2 1st in this draft that would really boost his rebuilding process.

reub
Member: #6227

5/20/2017  3:58 PM
Bigs who can shoot will be at a premium because there aren't many of them. I expect Jackson, Tatum, Isaac, Collins and Markkanen to all go in the top 10 or 11.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

5/22/2017  12:55 AM
nixluva wrote:Phil is gonna try to get another pick IMO! I think he likes the talent in this draft and if he can get 2 1st in this draft that would really boost his rebuilding process.

What would he hypothetically trade to get this pick?

He spent all season trying to dump this roster in trades and got zilch. What is going to be better this offseason?

wargames
Member: #6053

5/22/2017  2:21 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
nixluva wrote:Phil is gonna try to get another pick IMO! I think he likes the talent in this draft and if he can get 2 1st in this draft that would really boost his rebuilding process.

He spent all season trying to dump this roster in trades and got zilch. What is going to be better this offseason?

Teams will be able to trade picks after they are officially drsfted, teams are likely to prefer a vet to a rookie they don;t like, also in the case of O'quinn his contract is cheaper than some rookie contracts

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2017  6:36 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/23/2017  10:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Yeah it stated that he was a mixed bag in his workouts

RIP Crushalot😞
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/23/2017  11:00 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

He didn't spend all season trying to dump the roster.... at the beginning of the year we were the 2nd/3rd best team in the east. No trades were rumored until the trade deadline. So shhhhhhhh.

I'd rather hope something good will happen then complain how nothing good is gonna happen. If anybody wants a spurs executive to save them,... I'm not knocking what grown people do I'm private, just use protection and wash your hands

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/24/2017  1:03 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Curses!

Oh well, it's Isaac or bust for me (though thanks to handing the 8th pick to the twolves I don't see it happening)

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2017  8:10 AM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Curses!

Oh well, it's Isaac or bust for me (though thanks to handing the 8th pick to the twolves I don't see it happening)

Good for us. Just saves us the drama 3 years from now when people are saying how stupid Phil was that he didn't draft him

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BRIGGS
5/24/2017  11:47 PM
Diallo back to Kentucky
RIP Crushalot😞
dacash
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1179

5/26/2017  3:21 PM
wow dsj has back up ligaments, now we gatta pick him

To say Dennis Smith Sr. and his son Dennis Smith Jr. are ‘close’ would be an understatement. The two are nearly inseparable.

Senior, a single parent in North Carolina, didn’t just raise Dennis Jr. to be one of the best incoming freshmen in college basketball next season (not to mention a projected top 5 NBA Draft pick next spring), but like so many parents before him, literally put a ball in Junior’s hands before he could even walk. He spent his son’s childhood teaching him the skills of a point guard, knowing that whether he grew tall or not, he’d always have a place on the court. And he coached him through thousands of games, from the youth level straight to high school, where Smith Sr. ran Team Loaded, one of the best youth programs in the country over the past few summers.

Smith Sr. has literally been there every step of the way, making it a bit ironic that in one of the most important moments of his son’s career, he was 3,000 miles away, at home in North Carolina. In one of the few games, and few events he didn’t attend, Adidas Nations — a top high school showcase in Garden Grove, California — Smith Jr., went down with a knee injury.

The terrified father received an unexpected call from a friend traveling with Smith Jr. Details were scarce, and Smith Sr. was terrified.

“Dennis is hurt, Dennis is hurt,” Smith Sr. remembered his friend screaming into the phone. “I’ll call you right back [he said]. It was the worst feeling possible.”

It was the worst feeling possible, but if you’re worried about there being a sad ending to the story of a can’t-miss basketball prospect, don’t be. It’s actually quite the opposite. Dennis Jr. returned to the court this weekend at Adidas Nations — this time as a college counselor — and on the same courts where there was fear that his basketball dreams would be taken away, Junior instead added the latest and arguably most important chapter this past weekend. Playing in his first signature games since the injury, Smith Jr. not only survived, but thrived. Against some of the top college players in the country, Smith Jr. was a bona fide star, scoring 17 points, to go along with four assists and six steals, in front of NBA scouts, in his first full, five-on-five game with referees since the injury.

Most importantly, he showed both Friday night and throughout the weekend, that a year after the first major injury of his career, he was back to 100 percent.

Actually, even better than that.

“110 percent,” Smith Jr. said, when asked, on a scale of 1-100 how his knee was feeling. “110 percent for sure.”

For Smith Jr., the road to recovery was hard, and started the day of his diagnosis last year. Smith Jr. knew before he even left California that he had torn his ACL, an injury that would require him to sit out at least 10 months and miss his entire senior year of basketball. But when he got home, he quickly realized that the injury — while serious — might not have been as worse as originally feared. There was no pain and swelling in his knee, allowing doctors to operate almost right away. And when they did go in for surgery, they found a surprise:

Smith Jr. had an extra ligament in his knee. If you didn’t even know that was possible, you’re certainly not alone, as only 20 percent of all humans have one, doctors told Smith Sr. But those who do have the added benefit of quicker recovery times when coming off serious injuries like the one Junior suffered.

LONG BEACH, CA- July 31, 2016: adidas Nations at the Next Level Sports Complex, Long Beach, CA. (Copyright: Todd Burandt/adidas)

“Adrian Peterson has the same thing,” Smith Sr. said. “That’s what allowed him to come back so fast.”

Smith Jr. wasn’t back right away, but frankly it didn’t take nearly as long as many might think.

“I’m a single parent, I still had to take care of him like a baby for a while,” Smith Sr. said. But after those first few days, Junior did the rest. He began lifting free weights in bed just days after surgery, strengthening his back and shoulders, and making sure that even if his lower-body started out a little weaker, his upper body wouldn’t be.

Then came the lower body, which came a short time after. Just a few short weeks after the surgery, Smith Jr. wasn’t just back on his feet. He was back dunking.

“I had to slow him down,” Smith Sr. said. “He was dunking two weeks after he got out [of surgery].”

With Smith Jr. on the road to recovery, it led to the biggest decision of his life, and then the surprising, arguably even bigger decision that followed afterward.

Smith Jr. committed to NC State in November, deciding to attend the school that his father and grandmother grew up rooting for. He chose the Wolfpack because, as he said, their coaching staff built trust ‘by coming to every game they could come to." But then came another decision: He wanted to enroll early. With his senior year of basketball off the table, he began to wonder: Why wait to the summer to get to campus, if he could possibly get there in January, in time for the winter semester?

“His dream was always to play in the McDonald’s All-American game,” Smith Sr. said. “Once we realized that was off the table, he asked me ‘Dad is this possible?’ It was actually his idea [to enroll early]. It came from him.”

The idea behind the decision was multi-fold. For starters, he needed to rehab, and both father and son knew that the best possible treatment he could get on the knee would come from the NC State coaching staff. Plus, it would also give him a jump-start on academics. Once on campus, Smith Jr. thrived academically as well. He finished 18 credits during a time that he could have easily been at home, cruising through his final season of high school ball.

Instead, he was on campus getting to know his teammates, making friends and enjoying one class in particular.

“Sociology,” Smith Jr. said, when asked what his favorite class was. “That’s my major. I like sociology. It’s the study of human interaction.”

That last statement is ironic as well, since Smith Jr. spent plenty of time interacting on the court with his teammates. He watched from the sidelines as the team struggled last season, but was cleared to play in April, and has spent as much time on the court as possible getting to know them.

He played with teammates Maverick Rowan and Abdul-Malik Abu at Adidas Nations this weekend, and anyone watching closely could see an already emerging chemistry among the trio. Add in other members of a highly-ranked recruiting class and several other returning upperclassmen, and the Wolfpack could be in for a surprise 2016-17 season.

Things didn’t go as planned last year, but Smith Jr. is coming to change that next year.

“Come in and win games,” Smith Jr. said of his stated goal. “The ultimate goal for everybody is to win the national championship, but we’ll take it one game at a time.”

That’s obviously music to the Wolfpack fans who spent the whole weekend following Smith Jr.’s every move at Adidas Nations. Articles were written and tweets were shared about his progress, but most important, they were simply glad to see him 100 percent. Or 110 percent.

Now it’s time to win big, and Smith Sr. thinks that’s exactly what NC State will do.

“I’m going to tell you, his mentality is just completely different,” Smith Sr. said. “He’s bigger, stronger and he’s not backing down from anyone.”

As they say, what a difference a year makes, right?

Aaron Torres is a contributor for FOXSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @Aaron_Torres or Facebook. E-mail him at ATorres00@gmail.com.

CrushAlot
USA
5/27/2017  9:12 PM
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
5/28/2017  12:01 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Why are you trying to depress us even more

CrushAlot
USA
5/28/2017  12:02 PM
dacash wrote:wow dsj has back up ligaments, now we gatta pick him

To say Dennis Smith Sr. and his son Dennis Smith Jr. are ‘close’ would be an understatement. The two are nearly inseparable.

Senior, a single parent in North Carolina, didn’t just raise Dennis Jr. to be one of the best incoming freshmen in college basketball next season (not to mention a projected top 5 NBA Draft pick next spring), but like so many parents before him, literally put a ball in Junior’s hands before he could even walk. He spent his son’s childhood teaching him the skills of a point guard, knowing that whether he grew tall or not, he’d always have a place on the court. And he coached him through thousands of games, from the youth level straight to high school, where Smith Sr. ran Team Loaded, one of the best youth programs in the country over the past few summers.

Smith Sr. has literally been there every step of the way, making it a bit ironic that in one of the most important moments of his son’s career, he was 3,000 miles away, at home in North Carolina. In one of the few games, and few events he didn’t attend, Adidas Nations — a top high school showcase in Garden Grove, California — Smith Jr., went down with a knee injury.

The terrified father received an unexpected call from a friend traveling with Smith Jr. Details were scarce, and Smith Sr. was terrified.

“Dennis is hurt, Dennis is hurt,” Smith Sr. remembered his friend screaming into the phone. “I’ll call you right back [he said]. It was the worst feeling possible.”

It was the worst feeling possible, but if you’re worried about there being a sad ending to the story of a can’t-miss basketball prospect, don’t be. It’s actually quite the opposite. Dennis Jr. returned to the court this weekend at Adidas Nations — this time as a college counselor — and on the same courts where there was fear that his basketball dreams would be taken away, Junior instead added the latest and arguably most important chapter this past weekend. Playing in his first signature games since the injury, Smith Jr. not only survived, but thrived. Against some of the top college players in the country, Smith Jr. was a bona fide star, scoring 17 points, to go along with four assists and six steals, in front of NBA scouts, in his first full, five-on-five game with referees since the injury.

Most importantly, he showed both Friday night and throughout the weekend, that a year after the first major injury of his career, he was back to 100 percent.

Actually, even better than that.

“110 percent,” Smith Jr. said, when asked, on a scale of 1-100 how his knee was feeling. “110 percent for sure.”

For Smith Jr., the road to recovery was hard, and started the day of his diagnosis last year. Smith Jr. knew before he even left California that he had torn his ACL, an injury that would require him to sit out at least 10 months and miss his entire senior year of basketball. But when he got home, he quickly realized that the injury — while serious — might not have been as worse as originally feared. There was no pain and swelling in his knee, allowing doctors to operate almost right away. And when they did go in for surgery, they found a surprise:

Smith Jr. had an extra ligament in his knee. If you didn’t even know that was possible, you’re certainly not alone, as only 20 percent of all humans have one, doctors told Smith Sr. But those who do have the added benefit of quicker recovery times when coming off serious injuries like the one Junior suffered.

LONG BEACH, CA- July 31, 2016: adidas Nations at the Next Level Sports Complex, Long Beach, CA. (Copyright: Todd Burandt/adidas)

“Adrian Peterson has the same thing,” Smith Sr. said. “That’s what allowed him to come back so fast.”

Smith Jr. wasn’t back right away, but frankly it didn’t take nearly as long as many might think.

“I’m a single parent, I still had to take care of him like a baby for a while,” Smith Sr. said. But after those first few days, Junior did the rest. He began lifting free weights in bed just days after surgery, strengthening his back and shoulders, and making sure that even if his lower-body started out a little weaker, his upper body wouldn’t be.

Then came the lower body, which came a short time after. Just a few short weeks after the surgery, Smith Jr. wasn’t just back on his feet. He was back dunking.

“I had to slow him down,” Smith Sr. said. “He was dunking two weeks after he got out [of surgery].”

With Smith Jr. on the road to recovery, it led to the biggest decision of his life, and then the surprising, arguably even bigger decision that followed afterward.

Smith Jr. committed to NC State in November, deciding to attend the school that his father and grandmother grew up rooting for. He chose the Wolfpack because, as he said, their coaching staff built trust ‘by coming to every game they could come to." But then came another decision: He wanted to enroll early. With his senior year of basketball off the table, he began to wonder: Why wait to the summer to get to campus, if he could possibly get there in January, in time for the winter semester?

“His dream was always to play in the McDonald’s All-American game,” Smith Sr. said. “Once we realized that was off the table, he asked me ‘Dad is this possible?’ It was actually his idea [to enroll early]. It came from him.”

The idea behind the decision was multi-fold. For starters, he needed to rehab, and both father and son knew that the best possible treatment he could get on the knee would come from the NC State coaching staff. Plus, it would also give him a jump-start on academics. Once on campus, Smith Jr. thrived academically as well. He finished 18 credits during a time that he could have easily been at home, cruising through his final season of high school ball.

Instead, he was on campus getting to know his teammates, making friends and enjoying one class in particular.

“Sociology,” Smith Jr. said, when asked what his favorite class was. “That’s my major. I like sociology. It’s the study of human interaction.”

That last statement is ironic as well, since Smith Jr. spent plenty of time interacting on the court with his teammates. He watched from the sidelines as the team struggled last season, but was cleared to play in April, and has spent as much time on the court as possible getting to know them.

He played with teammates Maverick Rowan and Abdul-Malik Abu at Adidas Nations this weekend, and anyone watching closely could see an already emerging chemistry among the trio. Add in other members of a highly-ranked recruiting class and several other returning upperclassmen, and the Wolfpack could be in for a surprise 2016-17 season.

Things didn’t go as planned last year, but Smith Jr. is coming to change that next year.

“Come in and win games,” Smith Jr. said of his stated goal. “The ultimate goal for everybody is to win the national championship, but we’ll take it one game at a time.”

That’s obviously music to the Wolfpack fans who spent the whole weekend following Smith Jr.’s every move at Adidas Nations. Articles were written and tweets were shared about his progress, but most important, they were simply glad to see him 100 percent. Or 110 percent.

Now it’s time to win big, and Smith Sr. thinks that’s exactly what NC State will do.

“I’m going to tell you, his mentality is just completely different,” Smith Sr. said. “He’s bigger, stronger and he’s not backing down from anyone.”

As they say, what a difference a year makes, right?

Aaron Torres is a contributor for FOXSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @Aaron_Torres or Facebook. E-mail him at ATorres00@gmail.com.

Great article. Thanks for posting it. I always wondered how Peterson was able to come back so quickly. Extra ligament.
reub

5/28/2017  1:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/28/2017  1:34 PM
I think that Gaines must love Frank Mason too. He was a lights out 3 point shooter last year....better shooter than all of them... strong body, great leaper, tenacious defender, a leader with vision. He's the same height as CP3, Lillard, Kemba. 2 inches taller than IT. I think he'd be perfect for our system too. I'd like to grab him with our #44 pick if not sooner.

He has a 41 inch vertical leap (better than all of the others mentioned) and shot an amazing 47% from three last season. He could start for us next year.

wargames
Member: #6053

5/28/2017  5:17 PM
So I finally figured out who I think Ntilikina will be in the League. Nic Batum as a SG. Defense, secondary ball handler, really good shooter...... Ironically they are both French
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Kemet
Member: #6148

5/30/2017  6:39 PM
wargames wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Teams will be able to trade picks after they are officially drsfted, teams are likely to prefer a vet to a rookie they don;t like, also in the case of O'quinn his contract is cheaper than some rookie contracts

O'Quinn performance n skills down-low are our best big-man on the roster!
Quinn should have been our starter PF the past two seasons.
I wanted to see Rolo n Quinn in a lineup, and Noah n Quinn in a lineup, which never happen.

reub

5/30/2017  9:01 PM
Ok. I have my 3 picks for this draft:
#8 Frank Ntilikina
#44 Frank Mason
#58 Deonte Burton
BRIGGS
5/31/2017  12:06 AM
reub wrote:Ok. I have my 3 picks for this draft:
#8 Frank Ntilikina
#44 Frank Mason
#58 Deonte Burton

Im not sold on Frank N Id rather us trade down. I know it takes two to tango--but I think Portlands 15-20-26 would fit the Knicks better than pick 8.

RIP Crushalot😞
2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy