2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/10/2017  1:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/10/2017  2:15 PM
The hype is with Media, fans or scouts?
No doubt, the old man is most definitely over hyped himself!
"Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,'' LaVar Ball told USA Today in March. Ball averaged 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds while playing for Washington State in the 1987-88 season.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/10/2017  2:51 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Lonzo Ball is highly overrated

I can't remember the many "superstar" player who had this many questions regarding their game entering the draft. I think he can be good. But I don't ever see being a top 20 talent in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm glad we're not going to be in position to have decide to pick him. My concerns aren't even take the potential off the court disasters into consideration.

He'll be very good. Could be a game changer.

Go to Draft Express and watch the Lonzo Ball Weaknesses - Creating Offense video and come back...tell us you have no concerns with his athleticism, handle, offensive creativity.

To cherry pick some tidbits from that video.....

In 1/2 court offense only 3% (8 of 238) of Balls shots came inside the 3 point line

- highlighting his inability to beat people off the dribbe
- inability to get in the paint and to the rim
- his complete lack of a mid-range game

The video shows numerous situations where Ball gets the ball picked/knocked away in one-one situations === showing a sloppy handle and lack of burst to beat even 1 on 1 situations.

I believe Ball is has elite b-ball IQ, elite vision, elite passing, is an outstanding help defender and has elite feel for the game.

Outside of those major plus's I think he is a mediocre (at best) NBA athlete, his handle is sloppy (particularly in slow down / under duress situations). He has ZERO mid-range game, he has very poor shot selection (constantly settling for contested 3 point shots because he can't take people off the dribble). He is a horrible one/one defender.

I think he may be one of the more over-rated prospects in last 10 years.

Every player has a weakness video. I feel good Lonzo will be very good.

RIP Crushalot😞
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

5/10/2017  6:12 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I can't remember the many "superstar" player who had this many questions regarding their game entering the draft. I think he can be good. But I don't ever see being a top 20 talent in the NBA. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm glad we're not going to be in position to have decide to pick him. My concerns aren't even take the potential off the court disasters into consideration.

Go to Draft Express and watch the Lonzo Ball Weaknesses - Creating Offense video and come back...tell us you have no concerns with his athleticism, handle, offensive creativity.

In 1/2 court offense only 3% (8 of 238) of Balls shots came inside the 3 point line

The video shows numerous situations where Ball gets the ball picked/knocked away in one-one situations === showing a sloppy handle and lack of burst to beat even 1 on 1 situations.

I believe Ball is has elite b-ball IQ, elite vision, elite passing, is an outstanding help defender and has elite feel for the game.

Outside of those major plus's I think he is a mediocre (at best) NBA athlete, his handle is sloppy (particularly in slow down / under duress situations). He has ZERO mid-range game, he has very poor shot selection (constantly settling for contested 3 point shots because he can't take people off the dribble). He is a horrible one/one defender.

Will be interesting to see if he adds some muscle to his body...he'll have had a number of months since his season ended.

Will he have spent too much time hawking sneakers...or is he working on his strength?

Two things about him which I cannot understand, given his father's attention...

1) How do you let a kid continue to shoot with the form Ball has- his poor midrange game surely has a lot to do with his shooting form.

2) How does his father not have him work on his body? I was stunned when I saw his arms. No definition...no muscle bulk AT ALL. He'll get abused on D and beat up on picks.

We will see...the guy still has the court awareness that is hard to "learn" if you don't have it by his age. There are still many questions about him, though.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

5/10/2017  7:16 PM
I'd be careful using DraftExpress exclusvely in examinng players. They also said "creating offense" was Devin Booker's problem as well and cuz dropped 72 points.
The Future is Bright!
BRIGGS
5/10/2017  7:20 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Will be interesting to see if he adds some muscle to his body...he'll have had a number of months since his season ended.

Will he have spent too much time hawking sneakers...or is he working on his strength?

1) How do you let a kid continue to shoot with the form Ball has- his poor midrange game surely has a lot to do with his shooting form.

2) How does his father not have him work on his body? I was stunned when I saw his arms. No definition...no muscle bulk AT ALL. He'll get abused on D and beat up on picks.

We will see...the guy still has the court awareness that is hard to "learn" if you don't have it by his age. There are still many questions about him, though.

His gaudy 67eFG is the highest in the draft. Hes getting the ball in the basket. At 6-6 he has all that size and length to make plays and the avg 6 rebounds is the highest among guards--even those with skinny arms

RIP Crushalot😞
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/10/2017  7:34 PM
TPercy wrote:I'd be careful using DraftExpress exclusvely in examinng players. They also said "creating offense" was Devin Booker's problem as well and cuz dropped 72 points.

I'm using eye test as well. The dude needs to develop a number of skills he hasn't shown yet to be a franchise player. Seventy-two point game aside, Booker hads't really been the model of efficient shooting, yet.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

5/10/2017  10:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/10/2017  10:56 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

His gaudy 67eFG is the highest in the draft. Hes getting the ball in the basket. At 6-6 he has all that size and length to make plays and the avg 6 rebounds is the highest among guards--even those with skinny arms

Fox attempted 211 FTs - Ball 98

Again - in 1/2 court offense only 3% - 8 of 238 attempts were inside the 3 point line.

Somebody name me the last 3 great guards drafted top 5 who were mediocre athletes.

reub
Member: #6227

5/11/2017  8:04 AM
Tankathon has us taking Dennis Smith, Jr., Anzeys Pasecniks (7'2" talented C from KP's Latvia) and Tyler Dorsey in the draft. That would be a great draft. I would probably substitute Ntilikina for Smith, though.
BRIGGS
5/11/2017  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/11/2017  2:37 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Again - in 1/2 court offense only 3% - 8 of 238 attempts were inside the 3 point line.

Somebody name me the last 3 great guards drafted top 5 who were mediocre athletes.

Magic Johnson Steph Curry Steve Nash Rip Hamilton Mike Bibby those guys were pretty good.

But?

RIP Crushalot😞
BigDaddyG

5/11/2017  2:55 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Magic Johnson Steph Curry Steve Nash Rip Hamilton Mike Bibby those guys were pretty good.

But?

Briggs, dunking alone doesn't make a great athlete. Aside from that, all I saw were clips of 6'7" dude dunking on much shorter highschool players. Why didn't we see dunk off the dribble that much against much college players. True Nash was the most athletic player but he was a much better shooter. Steph is an even better shooter with a quicker release. I don't consider RIP or Bibby to be great, but Magic was the LeBron of his era. Lonzo can't pull up going right. How long will it take most coaches to figure that out? What threat is he to score in the last seconds of the game? You're really going to be happy watching toss up a contested fadeaway 3 at the end of the clock. I'm not saying he won't be good, but I don't see franchise player material.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

5/11/2017  3:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/11/2017  3:21 PM

I've seen Nik Stauskas throw down more impressive dunks than Ball. I'll concede Stauskas is a solid athlete for his position, but he is far from great.
BRIGGS
5/11/2017  5:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

But?

Briggs, dunking alone doesn't make a great athlete. Aside from that, all I saw were clips of 6'7" dude dunking on much shorter highschool players. Why didn't we see dunk off the dribble that much against much college players. True Nash was the most athletic player but he was a much better shooter. Steph is an even better shooter with a quicker release. I don't consider RIP or Bibby to be great, but Magic was the LeBron of his era. Lonzo can't pull up going right. How long will it take most coaches to figure that out? What threat is he to score in the last seconds of the game? You're really going to be happy watching toss up a contested fadeaway 3 at the end of the clock. I'm not saying he won't be good, but I don't see franchise player material.

LOL Magic wasnt Lebrons underwear in terms of athletic ability??? Lonzo Ball ic clearly athletic enough. Im 6-4 and I never not even 1 time dunked a basketball on a ten foot hoop--a tennis ball bt not a basketball. And I held my own in sports. If a guy who is slightly taller is doing reverse slams--I consider that quite athletic.

RIP Crushalot😞
BigDaddyG

5/11/2017  5:23 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

But?

LOL Magic wasnt Lebrons underwear in terms of athletic ability??? Lonzo Ball ic clearly athletic enough. Im 6-4 and I never not even 1 time dunked a basketball on a ten foot hoop--a tennis ball bt not a basketball. And I held my own in sports. If a guy who is slightly taller is doing reverse slams--I consider that quite athletic.

Magic was one of the fastest players with ball during his ers-- at 6'9". Magic wasn't LeBron's level now, but what he did was unheard back then. I'm not doubting your athletic ability, but this is the NBA. Guys like Nik Stauskas, who are just OK athletically, are routinely doing dunks that were considered amazing 10 years ago. Let's compare Ball to his peers, like Fox, who made him look painfully slow twice. Let's look at defensive schemes UCLA used to hide Ball against quickers players. Let's look at Ball's failure to score inside the paint routinely? Where are ball's college highlights of him dunking on people off the dribble? He's OK athlete, but he's poor compared to other NBA starting PGs.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

5/11/2017  8:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
TPercy wrote:I'd be careful using DraftExpress exclusvely in examinng players. They also said "creating offense" was Devin Booker's problem as well and cuz dropped 72 points.

I'm using eye test as well. The dude needs to develop a number of skills he hasn't shown yet to be a franchise player. Seventy-two point game aside, Booker hads't really been the model of efficient shooting, yet.

Well all lottery picks still need a number of skills to develop. None of them are perfect. Aside from his lack of midrange game and lack of physical stature, I think he can be a big player in the league.
The Future is Bright!
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/12/2017  7:45 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

But?

Magic was one of the fastest players with ball during his ers-- at 6'9". Magic wasn't LeBron's level now, but what he did was unheard back then. I'm not doubting your athletic ability, but this is the NBA. Guys like Nik Stauskas, who are just OK athletically, are routinely doing dunks that were considered amazing 10 years ago. Let's compare Ball to his peers, like Fox, who made him look painfully slow twice. Let's look at defensive schemes UCLA used to hide Ball against quickers players. Let's look at Ball's failure to score inside the paint routinely? Where are ball's college highlights of him dunking on people off the dribble? He's OK athlete, but he's poor compared to other NBA starting PGs.

I'm w big daddy on this. Lonzo pick has risk. Gm will have to sweat that pick out

(5)(5)
reub

5/12/2017  10:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/12/2017  10:15 AM
Just how good is Hamidou Diallo? Is he worth considering with our pick?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/12/2017  10:35 AM
reub wrote:Just how good is Hamidou Diallo? Is he worth considering with our pick?

I watched him during the combine... he didn't show any arrogance or extra swag when out there. I knew he could run and jump. Watching the combine it was all about judging his attitude and character. He didn't seem nervous or intimidated. He was typically cliche in interviews. I watched him while they filmed him talking to others. He had his arm around several officials shoulder even he talked to them. He seemed very cool and engaging. Typical nyc vibe and mannerisms. Really outside from actually game play that's all we have to go by. We can judge more when we see video from the workouts.

Regardlesd, he's going to have to be willing to play in the d-league unless he shows game in summer league and training camp. I want more picks lol.... I want either this kid, Terrence Ferguson, Bacon or Trier from Arizona

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
reub

5/12/2017  10:41 AM
EnySpree wrote:
reub wrote:Just how good is Hamidou Diallo? Is he worth considering with our pick?

I watched him during the combine... he didn't show any arrogance or extra swag when out there. I knew he could run and jump. Watching the combine it was all about judging his attitude and character. He didn't seem nervous or intimidated. He was typically cliche in interviews. I watched him while they filmed him talking to others. He had his arm around several officials shoulder even he talked to them. He seemed very cool and engaging. Typical nyc vibe and mannerisms. Really outside from actually game play that's all we have to go by. We can judge more when we see video from the workouts.

Regardlesd, he's going to have to be willing to play in the d-league unless he shows game in summer league and training camp. I want more picks lol.... I want either this kid, Terrence Ferguson, Bacon or Trier from Arizona

I'm hoping that he's working out privately for the Knicks and no one else and he's the next Kobe. :)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/12/2017  11:27 AM
Phil has to pick his next Zen Studant. The kid needs to be special in more ways than long arms.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

5/12/2017  11:32 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

But?

LOL - you pull out 4 guys that have been retired for years and I think 1 of those guys Magic went top 5.

So you are supporting my point -- that it is rare for a mediocre "NBA athlete" and a guard (which Ball is both) to get picked top 5.

That said --- Steph is actually a great example and a supporting argument for Ball.

I would say many of my concerns with Ball are similar to my worries about Curry and D-Russell last year --- the thing about Steph though was he was a ****ing scorer --- Ball isn't that guy.

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy