2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
4/26/2017  6:26 PM
wargames wrote:
nixluva wrote:How about Wesley Iwundu 6-7 SG Kansas St. and Edmund Sumner 6-5 PG Xavier with our two 2nd rd picks? Big and long Guards that have defensive potential.

I like Wesley Iwundu. On paper he is everything that Phil likes

I thought so. He moves the ball and defends. He needs to hit the weights a bit but could be a good get in the 2nd rd.

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/27/2017  12:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/27/2017  12:06 PM
Draft Express's latest mock moves Markkanen up to 6! Fine by me!

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Jackson
4) Tatum
5) Fox
6) Markkanen
7) Monk
8) Isaac
9) Smith
10) Ntilikina
11) Collins
12) Allen
13) Anunoby

Honestly, the more I think about what this team needs, I'd like to take a long look at OG Anunoby.

I'd be very interested in Isaac, Ntilikina, Monk... hope Fox might fall...

But really, I love OG Anunoby's game and I have since the beginning of the year. I think he's gonna be legit. Maybe we could trade down for him? I love his game.

¿ △ ?
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

4/27/2017  5:12 PM
crzymdups wrote:Draft Express's latest mock moves Markkanen up to 6! Fine by me!

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Jackson
4) Tatum
5) Fox
6) Markkanen
7) Monk
8) Isaac
9) Smith
10) Ntilikina
11) Collins
12) Allen
13) Anunoby

Honestly, the more I think about what this team needs, I'd like to take a long look at OG Anunoby.

But really, I love OG Anunoby's game and I have since the beginning of the year. I think he's gonna be legit. Maybe we could trade down for him? I love his game.

Interesting...wonder if they have any insight from a Minny sources. I don't believe that Isaac is an answer for them at the 4, though he could make Wiggins expendable at some point. Is Markkanen considered to be good enough as a defender, especially at the stretch 4 position- or do they just want a backup for Towns?

I'm on record as not wanting Monk, especially if Isaac and Ntilikina are on the board. I don't see the Sixers taking Fox because they truly need a shooting guard, and Monk seems to be a perfect fit for them. If you see Simmons as a "point 3," and we all know he needs the ball to be effective, taking Fox is foolish, especially when you have such a need for a sniper.

Time will tell...

I also don't see Jackson taking Monk, but who knows...

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

4/27/2017  5:24 PM
Monk could be the next Westbrook...
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/27/2017  7:11 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Draft Express's latest mock moves Markkanen up to 6! Fine by me!

1) Fultz
2) Ball
3) Jackson
4) Tatum
5) Fox
6) Markkanen
7) Monk
8) Isaac
9) Smith
10) Ntilikina
11) Collins
12) Allen
13) Anunoby

Interesting...wonder if they have any insight from a Minny sources. I don't believe that Isaac is an answer for them at the 4, though he could make Wiggins expendable at some point. Is Markkanen considered to be good enough as a defender, especially at the stretch 4 position- or do they just want a backup for Towns?

I'm on record as not wanting Monk, especially if Isaac and Ntilikina are on the board. I don't see the Sixers taking Fox because they truly need a shooting guard, and Monk seems to be a perfect fit for them. If you see Simmons as a "point 3," and we all know he needs the ball to be effective, taking Fox is foolish, especially when you have such a need for a sniper.

Time will tell...

I also don't see Jackson taking Monk, but who knows...

I agree about Monk going to Philly. I know I have read at least one Philly article that suggested he would be a really good fit next to Simmons in the back court.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
WaltLongmire

4/27/2017  8:02 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:Monk could be the next Westbrook...

Not a chance in hell from what we have seen. Fultz might be...who knows, but

Monk is not the ball handler, defender or distributor Westbrook is.

Maybe I'm wrong...but don't think so.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

4/27/2017  9:10 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Can't you say the same about Westbrook when he was drafted

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/27/2017  9:40 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Different level of athletes. Monk is smoother on on offense, but Westbrook had more opportunities to handle the ball and was way more of a force defensive. I think Westbrook was a little older when he came out. He definitely stayed in school longer. Not really an apples to apples comparison. It's hard to do these comparisons to one and done guys. That said...I don't see Russell Westbrook in any of the guys at the top of the draft.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WaltLongmire

4/28/2017  12:30 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Calipari didn't even use Monk as a co-PG when it counted.

Monk is many things...and could become a great scorer, but comparing him to Westbrook after the Triple D year he just had?

WaltLongmire

4/28/2017  1:02 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Different level of athletes. Monk is smoother on on offense, but Westbrook had more opportunities to handle the ball and was way more of a force defensive. I think Westbrook was a little older when he came out. He definitely stayed in school longer. Not really an apples to apples comparison. It's hard to do these comparisons to one and done guys. That said...I don't see Russell Westbrook in any of the guys at the top of the draft.

Looks like Westbrook was 3 months older than Monk for his draft, even though he stayed for 2 years in UCLA.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/28/2017  1:11 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Looks like Westbrook was 3 months older than Monk for his draft, even though he stayed for 2 years in UCLA.

Westbrook came off the bench at UCLA behind Darren Collison, I believe. He seemed like a ball of energy, spark plug, kind of like a supersized Nate Robinson. It's amazing he still has that energy almost ten years later. It just goes to show that you predict a guys talent and skill set, but hard to predict their heart and what they'll do with that skill set. People thought Westbrook would be good and knew he could jump out of the gym. But people said the same about Anthony Randolph.

¿ △ ?
wargames
Member: #6053

4/28/2017  3:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/28/2017  3:02 AM

Say what you want a about Frank, he's a good shooter

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/28/2017  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/28/2017  10:22 AM
Fanspeak has a nice draft simulator for the NBA.

Here is the outcome on my last run.

YOUR TEAM
NEW YORK KNICKS
ALL PICKS
1: R1P1
PG MARKELLE FULTZ
BOSTON CELTICS
2: R1P2
SF JOSH JACKSON
PHOENIX SUNS
3: R1P3
PG LONZO BALL
L.A. LAKERS
4: R1P4
SF JAYSON TATUM
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS
5: R1P5
PG DE'AARON FOX
ORLANDO MAGIC
6: R1P6
SG MALIK MONK
MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
7: R1P7
SF JONATHAN ISAAC
NEW YORK KNICKS

8: R1P8
C LAURI MARKKANEN
SACRAMENTO KINGS
9: R1P9
C ZACH COLLINS
DALLAS MAVERICKS
10: R1P10
PG DENNIS SMITH
SACRAMENTO KINGS
11: R1P11
SF JUSTIN JACKSON
CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Here are my picks for the whole draft...
7: R1P7
SF JONATHAN ISAAC
FLORIDA STATE
44: R2P14
PG KOBI SIMMONS
ARIZONA
58: R2P28
SG KOSTJA MUSHIDI
GERMANY

I think I did pretty well.

Here is the link
http://fanspeak.com/nbaotc/

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
4/28/2017  11:13 AM
WaltLongmire wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Monk is many things...and could become a great scorer, but comparing him to Westbrook after the Triple D year he just had?

The more i think about it, the more Monk reminds me of CJ McCollum. He will be a really good NBA scorer, but lacks the complete game to be a superstar. Still, if he's there at 7, i strongly consider him. Guys that can flat out score don't grow on trees.

WaltLongmire

4/28/2017  11:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/28/2017  5:47 PM
Knixkik wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

The more i think about it, the more Monk reminds me of CJ McCollum. He will be a really good NBA scorer, but lacks the complete game to be a superstar. Still, if he's there at 7, i strongly consider him. Guys that can flat out score don't grow on trees.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/4/25/15347620/future-sixers-malik-monk-best-fit-good-shooter-defense-questionable-ben-simmons-joel-embiid
Extensive look at Monk...the good and the bad, by someone from Philly. Long read...negative stuff in second half, especially some stats when Monk had to assume more of the responsibility on offense.

I will go with our talent evaluators on this one...if they were to see Monk as worth the pick, so be it.

My vibes on him are that he will be a good scorer and little else, but we will see.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/28/2017  2:28 PM
Don't forget Philly has a stud at shooting guard in Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot.... but i can see them going for Monk especially is they think this guy Been Simmons can really run the point from the 3 spot....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire

4/28/2017  3:32 PM
EnySpree wrote:Don't forget Philly has a stud at shooting guard in Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot.... but i can see them going for Monk especially is they think this guy Been Simmons can really run the point from the 3 spot....

If Simmons can distribute, Philly can get away with 2 SGs.

I actually like T.J. McConnell a little bit, but he is not a scoring threat, and you would only give him significant minutes if he was playing distributor.

Same reason I don't think Sixers would take Fox, who loses much of his appeal if he is not controlling the ball.

If you like Fox, and I like him a lot, if he gets by Orlando, I think he would be available for, because Monk is a good complimentary player for a Simmons, and Minny won't take a PG.

Hate having to depend on the choices of other teams to determine our fate, but we just have to live with it.

We will know more when we hear about team workouts, which make a difference, despite what some think.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

4/28/2017  3:59 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
EnySpree wrote:Don't forget Philly has a stud at shooting guard in Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot.... but i can see them going for Monk especially is they think this guy Been Simmons can really run the point from the 3 spot....

I actually like T.J. McConnell a little bit, but he is not a scoring threat, and you would only give him significant minutes if he was playing distributor.

Same reason I don't think Sixers would take Fox, who loses much of his appeal if he is not controlling the ball.

If you like Fox, and I like him a lot, if he gets by Orlando, I think he would be available for, because Monk is a good complimentary player for a Simmons, and Minny won't take a PG.

Hate having to depend on the choices of other teams to determine our fate, but we just have to live with it.

We will know more when we hear about team workouts, which make a difference, despite what some think.

Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot and Monk with Simmons, Embiid and Saric? Very sexy time yes?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
WaltLongmire

4/28/2017  6:00 PM
EnySpree wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot and Monk with Simmons, Embiid and Saric? Very sexy time yes?

That is some name Cabarrot has. Same site that did the article I posted also had one on him.

Barring injuries that's an intriguing lineup, though you need Monk still has to defend at PG, and Simmons has to be the distributor they think he can be. A lot of length on that lineup.

Still have doubts about Embiid's durability, not his ability. Need to see him play 70 games to be a true believer...and why you keep OK4 around.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/28/2017  6:20 PM
wargames wrote:

Say what you want a about Frank, he's a good shooter

I know the rumor mills have the Knicks taking Frank but I still have a feeling we end up with Fox 🦊
I just think his upside is so much higher than Frank.

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy