[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

4/6/2017  10:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/6/2017  10:57 AM
crzymdups wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:What skillset separates De'Aaron Fox from everything we heard/thought of Mudiay entering the 2015 draft?

Fox actually proved it over a whole season. I'd say he's a better mid-range shooter, he's got that great little floater. I think he's a better passer too.

Honestly, I think you can make a case he's closer to Wall than Mudiay. He was feeding Monk a lot to the tune of Monk leading the SEC in scoring and monk being named player of the year.

I dunno, I think he could bust or maybe only be as good as Elfrid Peyton... But could also be more of a Rondo/Wall type. His outside shot needs work, but has good form to my eyes.

Honestly I think the bust potential of Ntilikina or Monk is higher. And I worry about Smith's game. He seems much smaller than he's listed. Maybe smith is a more explosive Lowry... i see something more like a Marbury or Francis style PG in him that looks for buckets over dimes. Isn't that a problem in the triangle?

Like I said, in some ways I'm more comfortable with Phil drafting a non-PG like Josh Jackson or Isaac both for our positional needs and because I worry any pg in the triangle will be just utterly confused about their role.

Mudiay doesn't really play D from what I have seen...this is not an issue with Fox, who is also quicker.

Have to admit that I'm surprised he didn't take a step up this year. I was critical of him at times, and did not want to draft him, but he showed glimpses last year that he could be a good player, and even hit his jumpers at times.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  11:04 AM
Listening to Mike and Mike...seems that Walton tried to tank and still could not do it. Sat down Russell and after they were up big time, sat down other players.

Gawd..I really hope they get bumped out of the lottery, now. Even more so since we dropped from our 2 position and they picked it up last year.

Down deep, I suppose I wish we were better at the tank & doing what they did, but when you are as obvious as Walton was last night, it is kind of pathetic.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  11:50 AM
crzymdups wrote:I see stuff like this and it makes me covet a guy like Josh Jackson or Jonathan Isaac in this draft.

I think the focus on the PGs might be leading some to underrate some of the non-PG players... for once I am glad Phil won't necessarily be obsessed with grabbing a PG.

At 6th/7th, the only PG I would drop everything for would be De'Aaron Fox. If it came down to Frank Ntilikina/Dennis Smith/Monk or Jonathan Isaac... I might lead toward Isaac at this point.

I feel like I need to see more Dennis Smith tape. I didn't see him in game action all season long... I'm very skeptical of him for whatever reason. He seems like the kind of PG Phil would hate.

When we had the #4 in 2015, the only player I would have taken over KP is KAT, so I was pretty happy when we got the Latvian.

As much as I would like Fox of Ntilikina, I don't have the same feeling with them that I had with Porzingis.

I don't think Jackson will be available, but unless we find out something terrible about Isaac, you won't hear me complain a bit if we take him.

Jackson as a defender and distributor on the Knicks would be an intriguing thing to consider, and he can probably play SG or SF.

Biggest worry for me is that we don't get a top 7 pick. I have my favorites, but the first 7 on this list are acceptable.

Smith is D. Rose2.0

Monk is a premium scorer, who will get chewed up on D at either guard position and from what I've seen and read, he is not even a Triangle lead guard, let alone a classic PG.

Have not looked at Bridges enough. Tweener size, but from the things I read he seems to have improved his game over the years...which is always a good thing

1 Markelle Fultz
PG/SG | Washington 6'5" 185 lbs

2 Lonzo Ball
PG | UCLA 6'6" 190 lbs

3 Josh Jackson
SF | Kansas 6'8" 205 lbs

4 Jayson Tatum
SF | Duke 6'8" 205 lbs

7 Jonathan Isaac
SF | Florida State 6'11" 205 lbs

9 Frank Ntilikina
PG | Strasbourg IG 6'5" 175 lbs

10 De'Aaron Fox
PG | Kentucky 6'4" 170 lbs

5 Dennis Smith
PG | NC State 6'2" 180 lbs

6 Malik Monk
SG/PG | Kentucky 6'3" 190 lbs

8 Miles Bridges
SF/PF | Michigan State 6'7" 230 lbs

smackeddog
Member: #883
4/6/2017  3:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/6/2017  3:14 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Listening to Mike and Mike...seems that Walton tried to tank and still could not do it. Sat down Russell and after they were up big time, sat down other players.

Gawd..I really hope they get bumped out of the lottery, now. Even more so since we dropped from our 2 position and they picked it up last year.

Down deep, I suppose I wish we were better at the tank & doing what they did, but when you are as obvious as Walton was last night, it is kind of pathetic.

As tempting as it would be to see the Lakers fail, strategically its worse for us if the Sixers end up with 2 high picks in this draft to add to Embiid, Saric and Simmons

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/6/2017  4:33 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:I see stuff like this and it makes me covet a guy like Josh Jackson or Jonathan Isaac in this draft.

I think the focus on the PGs might be leading some to underrate some of the non-PG players... for once I am glad Phil won't necessarily be obsessed with grabbing a PG.

At 6th/7th, the only PG I would drop everything for would be De'Aaron Fox. If it came down to Frank Ntilikina/Dennis Smith/Monk or Jonathan Isaac... I might lead toward Isaac at this point.

I feel like I need to see more Dennis Smith tape. I didn't see him in game action all season long... I'm very skeptical of him for whatever reason. He seems like the kind of PG Phil would hate.

When we had the #4 in 2015, the only player I would have taken over KP is KAT, so I was pretty happy when we got the Latvian.

As much as I would like Fox of Ntilikina, I don't have the same feeling with them that I had with Porzingis.

I don't think Jackson will be available, but unless we find out something terrible about Isaac, you won't hear me complain a bit if we take him.

Jackson as a defender and distributor on the Knicks would be an intriguing thing to consider, and he can probably play SG or SF.

Biggest worry for me is that we don't get a top 7 pick. I have my favorites, but the first 7 on this list are acceptable.

Smith is D. Rose2.0

Monk is a premium scorer, who will get chewed up on D at either guard position and from what I've seen and read, he is not even a Triangle lead guard, let alone a classic PG.

Have not looked at Bridges enough. Tweener size, but from the things I read he seems to have improved his game over the years...which is always a good thing

1 Markelle Fultz

2 Lonzo Ball
PG | UCLA 6'6" 190 lbs

3 Josh Jackson
SF | Kansas 6'8" 205 lbs

4 Jayson Tatum
SF | Duke 6'8" 205 lbs

7 Jonathan Isaac

9 Frank Ntilikina

10 De'Aaron Fox

5 Dennis Smith

6 Malik Monk

8 Miles Bridges

One thing I'll say about Smith is that if he's Rose 2.0 that's pretty special cuz we had the broke down version that stopped passing the ball and defending. Smith would be at full strength and so it would still be a MASSIVE upgrade in talent for this team. They could play Smith with Baker and have Smith play more of the SG role. Not saying they take Smith but just sayin it could work if he was the BPA when we pick.

Also you could use him as a trade asset with a team that really wants him.

WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  5:21 PM
smackeddog wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:Listening to Mike and Mike...seems that Walton tried to tank and still could not do it. Sat down Russell and after they were up big time, sat down other players.

As tempting as it would be to see the Lakers fail, strategically its worse for us if the Sixers end up with 2 high picks in this draft to add to Embiid, Saric and Simmons

This is true...and they've been the masters of the tank...and done it in a way that irked me somewhat.

WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  5:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/6/2017  5:27 PM
nixluva wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Smith is D. Rose2.0

1 Markelle Fultz

2 Lonzo Ball
PG | UCLA 6'6" 190 lbs

3 Josh Jackson
SF | Kansas 6'8" 205 lbs

4 Jayson Tatum
SF | Duke 6'8" 205 lbs

7 Jonathan Isaac

9 Frank Ntilikina

10 De'Aaron Fox

5 Dennis Smith

6 Malik Monk

8 Miles Bridges

One thing I'll say about Smith is that if he's Rose 2.0 that's pretty special cuz we had the broke down version that stopped passing the ball and defending. Smith would be at full strength and so it would still be a MASSIVE upgrade in talent for this team. They could play Smith with Baker and have Smith play more of the SG role. Not saying they take Smith but just sayin it could work if he was the BPA when we pick.

Also you could use him as a trade asset with a team that really wants him.

Size and defensive issues are the killer for me. Might be a fan favorite, but I doubt he would be a Phil favorite.

Does have some f'n hops, though.

To me it is ESSENTIAL that we are in the top 7.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
4/6/2017  6:53 PM
¿ △ ?
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

4/6/2017  7:43 PM
Since when was size in a pg such a big deal? The league has been getting smaller for years in that department.
Smith is not drose. Smith can actually shoot the basketball, rose can't. Smith's issue on defense has been lack of effort. A bad habit in a youngster, but one that can be fixed. When locked in, he has the tenacity and strength to lock down most players.
The Future is Bright!
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/6/2017  8:36 PM
crzymdups wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:What skillset separates De'Aaron Fox from everything we heard/thought of Mudiay entering the 2015 draft?

Fox actually proved it over a whole season. I'd say he's a better mid-range shooter, he's got that great little floater. I think he's a better passer too.

Honestly, I think you can make a case he's closer to Wall than Mudiay. He was feeding Monk a lot to the tune of Monk leading the SEC in scoring and monk being named player of the year.

I dunno, I think he could bust or maybe only be as good as Elfrid Peyton... But could also be more of a Rondo/Wall type. His outside shot needs work, but has good form to my eyes.

Honestly I think the bust potential of Ntilikina or Monk is higher. And I worry about Smith's game. He seems much smaller than he's listed. Maybe smith is a more explosive Lowry... i see something more like a Marbury or Francis style PG in him that looks for buckets over dimes. Isn't that a problem in the triangle?

Like I said, in some ways I'm more comfortable with Phil drafting a non-PG like Josh Jackson or Isaac both for our positional needs and because I worry any pg in the triangle will be just utterly confused about their role.

Fair. Mudiay did only play like 12 or so games in China but many of the same pros used to describe her were also being mentioned of Fox. I do like Fox but what I perceived as the similarities in hype did give me pause, since Mudiay seems to have fallen off a cliff this season; in large part due to his inability to space the floor, which I think also indirectly contributes to him turning the ball over so much.

As for Smith, I'm also similarly concerned. He was one of my favorites entering the draft but the waive of negativity that seems to be accompanying him has sent a redflag up in my book. If we're picking out of the top 7 or 8, I'd roll the dice and take him but the fall would make me still wonder what scouts know that we don't.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

4/6/2017  8:38 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Mudiay doesn't really play D from what I have seen...this is not an issue with Fox, who is also quicker.

Have to admit that I'm surprised he didn't take a step up this year. I was critical of him at times, and did not want to draft him, but he showed glimpses last year that he could be a good player, and even hit his jumpers at times.

Do you think that there were parallels between both players entering their respective drafts though? I can't help but feel that it was the case, which is having a negative impact on how I perceive Fox's outlook (even though I do like him).

WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  11:04 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

Do you think that there were parallels between both players entering their respective drafts though? I can't help but feel that it was the case, which is having a negative impact on how I perceive Fox's outlook (even though I do like him).

I like the fact that the KU offense has some discipline to it. The original clips I saw of Mudiay in China showed him in a run and gun type situation. Not sure Mudiay had ever had much experience running a sophisticated half court offense.

I think that Fox is better prepared for the NBA than Mudiay was, though like Mudiay, one of his problems is shooting consistency.

WaltLongmire

4/6/2017  11:20 PM
TPercy wrote:Since when was size in a pg such a big deal? The league has been getting smaller for years in that department.
Smith is not drose. Smith can actually shoot the basketball, rose can't. Smith's issue on defense has been lack of effort. A bad habit in a youngster, but one that can be fixed. When locked in, he has the tenacity and strength to lock down most players.

Jackson seems to like them taller...Grant was a tall PG, Baker, Schved, and even Calderon has good size, Galloway had a SG's wingspan...

Just saying.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

4/6/2017  11:34 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
TPercy wrote:Since when was size in a pg such a big deal? The league has been getting smaller for years in that department.

Jackson seems to like them taller...Grant was a tall PG, Baker, Schved, and even Calderon has good size, Galloway had a SG's wingspan...

Just saying.

If we are going off of Jackson's wishes, then Smith's size might be a problem, but he did sign BJ, no?

The Future is Bright!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
4/6/2017  11:55 PM
TPercy wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Just saying.

If we are going off of Jackson's wishes, then Smith's size might be a problem, but he did sign BJ, no?

Phil has preferences but of course there are exceptions. He has also talked about the idea of a very small quick player being a handy change up.

WaltLongmire

4/7/2017  2:14 AM
TPercy wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Just saying.

Strange signing in some ways...but he didn't even last a season, though I expect it had less to do with his size than how he plays the game.

Phil wanted to see the Triangle at the end of the season...and there is no way Jennings was going to be a part of it, and you'll notice that the efficiency of the Triangle has improved with Jennings and Rose out of the lineup.

My own feeling is that Ntilikina is the guard Phil would prefer for lead guard in the Triangle, but we will see.

crzymdups
USA
4/7/2017  9:18 AM
Interesting, I'm not so sure how much the nbadraft.net crew talks to actual scouts and stuff, vs the Draft Express guys, who we know do talk to scouts...

But nbadraft.net updated their top five prospects on 4/5 to be -

1) Josh Jackson
2) Markelle Fultz
3) Lonzo Ball
4) De'Aaron Fox
5) Jonathan Isaac

That's very close to what my own top five would be at this point. Which is a bummer because we're looking at pick 6. Really hope Philly becomes enamored of Malik Monk or Orlando does with Jayson Tatum.

¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
4/7/2017  10:05 AM
Would love to get this kid in the second round. I think he has Isaiah Thomas 2 written all over him

¿ △ ?
reub
Member: #6227

4/7/2017  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/7/2017  10:15 AM
crzymdups wrote:Interesting, I'm not so sure how much the nbadraft.net crew talks to actual scouts and stuff, vs the Draft Express guys, who we know do talk to scouts...

But nbadraft.net updated their top five prospects on 4/5 to be -

1) Josh Jackson
2) Markelle Fultz
3) Lonzo Ball
4) De'Aaron Fox
5) Jonathan Isaac

That's very close to what my own top five would be at this point. Which is a bummer because we're looking at pick 6. Really hope Philly becomes enamored of Malik Monk or Orlando does with Jayson Tatum.

If this is the case I'd be very happy with Frank or Smith.

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

4/7/2017  10:44 AM
crzymdups wrote:

A better defensive Andrew Wiggins is not appealing to me as a top 3 pick. If he is there at 6 maybe if Isaac is off the board but to me guys like him come around in every draft. I do not see a special talent.

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy