2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
3/9/2017  12:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Chandler wrote:Question for draft nerds: every year there seem to be busts. Even great basketball minds have fallen victim, e.g.

Beasley (pat the rat)
Hasheem thabeet (grizzly and IIRC Jerry west)
Darko (Larry brown)
And tons of others from lesser GMs and institutions

Any guesses on who will be this year's disappointments?

Seems like Isaac has a lot of talent (like Brandon Ingram) and it hasn't yet translated at the college level yet. Every other player who will be drafted high (with exception of Ntilikina being overseas) is producing in a major way at the college level right now as freshman, except Isaac. I would think he has some bust potential. Also, Tatum for the simple fact that he plays at Duke, and Duke players drafted high in the lottery seem to do very poorly in the NBA, for a variety of reasons. But i don't see any obvious red flags with anyone.

I would say that Tatum is one Duke player that is going to be better as a Pro than he's been at Duke! He's got a Pro style game and will be much more effective on the next level. He's being held back somewhat with the lack of spacing in the College game.

AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

3/9/2017  12:56 PM
another serious question to draft nerds: should the knicks really be in love with any of these players. They're all 19 years old. Wondering if it would make sense to trade the 6th pick for a young player but at least there's info on him. E.g., could the 6 pick get a Booker or Murray or someone else a couple or few years out on KP's time line but without the bust potential
(5)(5)
nixluva
USA
3/9/2017  1:21 PM
Chandler wrote:another serious question to draft nerds: should the knicks really be in love with any of these players. They're all 19 years old. Wondering if it would make sense to trade the 6th pick for a young player but at least there's info on him. E.g., could the 6 pick get a Booker or Murray or someone else a couple or few years out on KP's time line but without the bust potential

I can't see any team giving us anyone who's been good for our pick. Why would they trade a known quantity for an unknown one? Especially if that young player has shown his potential at the NBA level.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/9/2017  2:40 PM
Chandler wrote:another serious question to draft nerds: should the knicks really be in love with any of these players. They're all 19 years old. Wondering if it would make sense to trade the 6th pick for a young player but at least there's info on him. E.g., could the 6 pick get a Booker or Murray or someone else a couple or few years out on KP's time line but without the bust potential

For Booker? Sure. I don't see many others though. Not trading it to the Lakers for Ingram or Russell, for example. This draft has 10-12 guys who have legit all-star upside. Most will be good, a couple might bust. It's a gamble, no doubt.

nixluva
USA
3/9/2017  3:17 PM
Knixkik wrote:

For Booker? Sure. I don't see many others though. Not trading it to the Lakers for Ingram or Russell, for example. This draft has 10-12 guys who have legit all-star upside. Most will be good, a couple might bust. It's a gamble, no doubt.

I think most of us admit there are no guarantees in the draft. I just wonder what other options do the Knicks have in order to build a new core of this team? The Wiz drafted third core! The Warriors drafted their core. It's time for the Knicks to give that a try.

ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

3/9/2017  4:34 PM
Chandler wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
callmened wrote:I agree that bridges could be a nice NBA player. Fortunately we have Carmelo at sf. Lol

He may be too slow and bulky to be an effective SF. And too short to be an effective PF. Picking a tweener is the most common way to bust a draft pick, next to a center who cannot shoot.

Tweeners aren't as bad as they used to be. Draymond is a tweener. Crowder is a tweener

Issue is can he play and impose his will, e.g. overpower 3s or outquick 4s, or whether it will be vice versa, see Derrick Williams, Anthony Bennett etc

There are tweeners and then there are versatile players. Draymond Green is of the second type, since his modest height is compensated by his wide wingspan, which enables him to play PF and even C effectively. Something that Bridges lacks. There is an interesting comparison article about them two. Kinda getting me interested in the standing reach measurement as being more valid than height.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/9/2017  5:49 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
Chandler wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:
callmened wrote:I agree that bridges could be a nice NBA player. Fortunately we have Carmelo at sf. Lol

He may be too slow and bulky to be an effective SF. And too short to be an effective PF. Picking a tweener is the most common way to bust a draft pick, next to a center who cannot shoot.

Tweeners aren't as bad as they used to be. Draymond is a tweener. Crowder is a tweener

Issue is can he play and impose his will, e.g. overpower 3s or outquick 4s, or whether it will be vice versa, see Derrick Williams, Anthony Bennett etc

There are tweeners and then there are versatile players. Draymond Green is of the second type, since his modest height is compensated by his wide wingspan, which enables him to play PF and even C effectively. Something that Bridges lacks. There is an interesting comparison article about them two. Kinda getting me interested in the standing reach measurement as being more valid than height.

Bridges isn't a bad tweener. He's a little short, but he's probably close to 6'6 barefoot (ESPN lists him at 6'8, most other places list him at 6'7) and he has a 6'9 wingspan. His athleticism is off the charts, and between that and his shooting ability, he will have no problem playing SF. His strength is enough for PF in a league where teams are playing smaller, he will have no problem.

ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

3/10/2017  12:42 AM
And Draymond green is 6'7 1/2" with shoes so a tad taller, plus a huge 7'1" wingspan, so Bridges is no Green. With Bridges there is a risk of taller and stronger PFs or the quicker SFs abusing him in the low post or off drives, while his biggest threats come from cuts for alley-oops and open 3s. Exactly like KP, so how many players like that do you want on the team?
If I am going undersized, I would rather take the chance on Monk at the guard position, at least Monk can create his own shot, score in bunches and bring a new dimension to the team, either as the third guard off the bench or a starter next to a big PG.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

3/10/2017  7:31 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:And Draymond green is 6'7 1/2" with shoes so a tad taller, plus a huge 7'1" wingspan, so Bridges is no Green. With Bridges there is a risk of taller and stronger PFs or the quicker SFs abusing him in the low post or off drives, while his biggest threats come from cuts for alley-oops and open 3s. Exactly like KP, so how many players like that do you want on the team?
If I am going undersized, I would rather take the chance on Monk at the guard position, at least Monk can create his own shot, score in bunches and bring a new dimension to the team, either as the third guard off the bench or a starter next to a big PG.

I agree with you. Bridges doesn't have the same foot speed as Crowder and lacks the length of Draymond which could hurt his overall skills. I think he is closer to Tobias Harris than the other two but even Harris is taller and probably more athletic.

Also, let's not forget where those other players were drafted. I think Tweeners 3/4s are great and useful but not as a top 10 pick.

nixluva
USA
3/10/2017  10:27 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:And Draymond green is 6'7 1/2" with shoes so a tad taller, plus a huge 7'1" wingspan, so Bridges is no Green. With Bridges there is a risk of taller and stronger PFs or the quicker SFs abusing him in the low post or off drives, while his biggest threats come from cuts for alley-oops and open 3s. Exactly like KP, so how many players like that do you want on the team?

I agree with you. Bridges doesn't have the same foot speed as Crowder and lacks the length of Draymond which could hurt his overall skills. I think he is closer to Tobias Harris than the other two but even Harris is taller and probably more athletic.

Also, let's not forget where those other players were drafted. I think Tweeners 3/4s are great and useful but not as a top 10 pick.

I'm sorry but Bridges is quicker and has better handles than Tobias. Bridges is also an explosive athlete. He's just not elite in terms of his height and length. That limits him a bit but he is practically the same exact measurements as Jae Crowder only he's 15-20 lbs lighter and more explosive.

yellowboy90

3/10/2017  10:49 AM
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

I'm sorry but Bridges is quicker and has better handles than Tobias. Bridges is also an explosive athlete. He's just not elite in terms of his height and length. That limits him a bit but he is practically the same exact measurements as Jae Crowder only he's 15-20 lbs lighter and more explosive.

No he doesn't he barely get by college 4s and even then he has to slip a shoulder in them to create desperation as he goes up. Being able to jump high and having the quick twitch muscles and hip flexion to move on D is totally different. Crowder weighs more and has better foot speed and strength to hold up against top offensive talent.

Chandler
Member: #6197

3/10/2017  11:02 AM
Given the state of the Knicks, if they're not in love with some player in the 6 [or whatever slot they end up], I think they should consider trades for very young players on KP's timeline. The fact that all the top guys are 19 years old, untested in NBA, and the risk of a bust, scares me some. I do trust their drafting (much more than their trades). I'm just hoping that their brain trust is considering all of the options just in case the options available are not worthy of the value of the pick that other teams might afford it
(5)(5)
nixluva
USA
3/10/2017  11:20 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

No he doesn't he barely get by college 4s and even then he has to slip a shoulder in them to create desperation as he goes up. Being able to jump high and having the quick twitch muscles and hip flexion to move on D is totally different. Crowder weighs more and has better foot speed and strength to hold up against top offensive talent.

Perhaps he's not THE quickest guy but I still think he's quicker and has better handles than Tobias. I actually think Bridges needs to drop a few pounds. He looks a bit soft to me. When he gets with some Pro Trainers and Nutritionists they should be able to help him get his body right.
yellowboy90

3/10/2017  11:34 AM
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Perhaps he's not THE quickest guy but I still think he's quicker and has better handles than Tobias. I actually think Bridges needs to drop a few pounds. He looks a bit soft to me. When he gets with some Pro Trainers and Nutritionists they should be able to help him get his body right.

That sound like most tweeners problem. Parker, Harris, and Crowder all had to work on their body early.

nixluva
USA
3/11/2017  12:31 AM
Friday has been a good Tank night so far. Just waiting to see if the Kings can finally close a game out. Leading the Wiz so far into 7:45 of the 4th. Still too close to be confident up 10.
nixluva
USA
3/11/2017  12:36 AM
nixluva wrote:Friday has been a good Tank night so far. Just waiting to see if the Kings can finally close a game out. Leading the Wiz so far into 7:45 of the 4th. Still too close to be confident up 10.

Yup just that fast they gave up most of the lead and only up 2 now with 5:00 to go. SMH

nixluva
USA
3/11/2017  12:52 AM
nixluva wrote:
nixluva wrote:Friday has been a good Tank night so far. Just waiting to see if the Kings can finally close a game out. Leading the Wiz so far into 7:45 of the 4th. Still too close to be confident up 10.

Yup just that fast they gave up most of the lead and only up 2 now with 5:00 to go. SMH

Kings tie it up with 0:15 to go. Nice Collison to WCS PnR Dunk

nixluva
USA
3/11/2017  12:53 AM
OVERTIME. WCS with good contest on Wall.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/11/2017  1:02 AM
nixluva wrote:OVERTIME. WCS with good contest on Wall.

It was rumored that the Kings had him on the block this year. He would have been a great pick up. But you could also look at it like moving Boogie was to get WCS more minutes. I grabbed him in fantasy as soon as that deal happened.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
3/11/2017  1:10 AM
nixluva wrote:OVERTIME. WCS with good contest on Wall.

KINGS SUCK!!! They had multiple chances to win and just couldn't close the deal. We can't out Tank them

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy