2017 NBA Draft Thread
Author Thread
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

2/13/2017  11:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2017  11:52 AM
fishmike wrote:
crzymdups wrote:Question for the draft followers and college bball guys -

are any of the PG or SG we're looking at really good lock down defenders? Or have that potential?

the more I read and watch Frank Ntilikina the more I think we find a way to get him. Unless we win the lottery and move up to a top 3. He's got a Rondo like build... almost a 7 foot wingspan and a very good athlete who is a pass first PG. He's got some liabilities for sure, but assume we heavily scout him. If we cant grab one of the top 5 guards this might be our play. We really need to execute on a guard prospect.

From what I have read about him he barely plays and only avgs 1.3 ast. How can anyone tell anything about him right now. Are people just looking at his measurable or are they examining his game?

AUTOADVERT
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/13/2017  11:48 AM
We should take a look at a Latvian 3/4 (More a 3) that has talent. Should fit right into our team especially if we trade Melo over the summer. Rodions Kurucs, 19 years old. Check him out fellas.

Not a lottery pick, but a later in the 1st round pick. I think he would fit in great with Willy/KP and what we try to do in NY. I heard Portland has 3 first round picks in this draft. Maybe if we don't love anyone in the draft lottery after the top 8, we should trade down for two later 1st round picks from Portland.

smackeddog
Member: #883
2/13/2017  11:58 AM
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:In 4 games against top 25 programs Ball has gone to the line a total of 5 times - or just over 1 time per game.

In 6 games against top 25 programs Fox has gone to the line 38 times - or just over 6 times per game.

Ball doesn't get to the rim easily and doesn't attack the basket --- he has some physical limitations that folks are understating (very much like D-Russell when everyone was drooling over his fancy passes and 3 point shooting.

Careful on Ball --- he is not an elite NBA athlete. On the hand Fox is lightening quick and attacks the rim.

People seem to be falling in love with the range on his shot.

Russell had nice range as well -- Ball has no (nada/none) mid range game and he doesn't get to the rim with ease. I like Ball a lot -- I fell in love with him first 2 times I saw him but the more I watch the less impressed. He seems soft offensively to me and defensively but he rebounds the ball.

He is playing in Avery uptempo system on a team that simply doesn't defend. A kid like Fox on the other hand is being held in check somewhat by Calipari.

Fox gets to the rim as easy any player I've seen in recent memory. He defends, rebounds and he is unselfish....sees the floor.

We'd be lucky to get either but I think Ball has higher bust factor due to potential physical limitations. Or maybe I'm imagining the lack of speed/quickness I think I'm seeing on TV.

Yeah I was gonna say the Ball hype reminded me a little of D'Angelo.

I think Fox would be my pick now. Hope we can get in range for him.

I know we need a PG, but I'd really be happy if we ended up with Josh Jackson.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/13/2017  12:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:In 4 games against top 25 programs Ball has gone to the line a total of 5 times - or just over 1 time per game.

In 6 games against top 25 programs Fox has gone to the line 38 times - or just over 6 times per game.

Ball doesn't get to the rim easily and doesn't attack the basket --- he has some physical limitations that folks are understating (very much like D-Russell when everyone was drooling over his fancy passes and 3 point shooting.

Careful on Ball --- he is not an elite NBA athlete. On the hand Fox is lightening quick and attacks the rim.

Russell had nice range as well -- Ball has no (nada/none) mid range game and he doesn't get to the rim with ease. I like Ball a lot -- I fell in love with him first 2 times I saw him but the more I watch the less impressed. He seems soft offensively to me and defensively but he rebounds the ball.

He is playing in Avery uptempo system on a team that simply doesn't defend. A kid like Fox on the other hand is being held in check somewhat by Calipari.

Fox gets to the rim as easy any player I've seen in recent memory. He defends, rebounds and he is unselfish....sees the floor.

We'd be lucky to get either but I think Ball has higher bust factor due to potential physical limitations. Or maybe I'm imagining the lack of speed/quickness I think I'm seeing on TV.

I don't think we will be bad enough. Thinking we land in 8-11 range and top targets are Fox, Ntilikina, Bridges, and possibly Tatum if he doesn't continue to raise his stock. We should end up with a longterm PG or SF in this draft.

smackeddog
2/13/2017  12:29 PM
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

I don't think we will be bad enough. Thinking we land in 8-11 range and top targets are Fox, Ntilikina, Bridges, and possibly Tatum if he doesn't continue to raise his stock. We should end up with a longterm PG or SF in this draft.

If we really commit to tanking we can end up with the 4th or 5th worst record (we play a few teams ahead of us after the all star break, including the sixers 3 times). Teams sometimes get lucky and move up from there in the lottery.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
2/13/2017  1:08 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

are any of the PG or SG we're looking at really good lock down defenders? Or have that potential?

the more I read and watch Frank Ntilikina the more I think we find a way to get him. Unless we win the lottery and move up to a top 3. He's got a Rondo like build... almost a 7 foot wingspan and a very good athlete who is a pass first PG. He's got some liabilities for sure, but assume we heavily scout him. If we cant grab one of the top 5 guards this might be our play. We really need to execute on a guard prospect.

From what I have read about him he barely plays and only avgs 1.3 ast. How can anyone tell anything about him right now. Are people just looking at his measurable or are they examining his game?

The scouting game is one of the more difficult jobs in Basketball. They are pretty good at it tho. The scouting videos i've seen focus on key aspects of young players that are signs to look for in a prospect as to whether they project to be a good player or not. Ntilikina seems to check a lot of those boxes. Here's a really good scouting report on him.

http://fansided.com/2016/12/28/frank-ntilikina-2017-nba-draft-prospect/

Knixkik
USA
2/13/2017  1:12 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

If we really commit to tanking we can end up with the 4th or 5th worst record (we play a few teams ahead of us after the all star break, including the sixers 3 times). Teams sometimes get lucky and move up from there in the lottery.

There's no real "commitment" to tanking. The players will play hard and the coach will coach to win. We still have too much talent to finish that poorly i believe. Even if Melo is traded, i don't think we can fall that far, but you never know.

smackeddog
2/13/2017  1:30 PM
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

There's no real "commitment" to tanking. The players will play hard and the coach will coach to win. We still have too much talent to finish that poorly i believe. Even if Melo is traded, i don't think we can fall that far, but you never know.

It depends on if we have a fire sale at the deadline, then limit KP to 30mins or less

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/13/2017  6:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/13/2017  7:17 PM
fishmike wrote:

Agreed that we really need to get a good PG prospect. I don't know much about this Ntilikina guy. I could be convinced.

I really like D Fox from Kentucky the more I see him play. He's the guy I've watched most. I'm pretty convinced he'll go top 5 when all is said and done. Maybe 6.

It'd really help us to get us to that 4/5/6 range in the draft.

¿ △ ?
reub
Member: #6227

2/13/2017  7:22 PM
crzymdups wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Agreed that we really need to get a good PG prospect. I don't know much about this Ntilikina guy. I could be convinced.

I really like D Fox from Kentucky the more I see him play. He's the guy I've watched most. I'm pretty convinced he'll go top 5 when all is said and done. Maybe 6.

It'd really help us to get us to that 4/5/6 range in the draft.

I like Fox too. But he can't shoot. 17% from three.

smackeddog
2/14/2017  3:44 AM
Some good wins tonight- Magic, pelicans and Sixers- if we'd lost the Spurs game we'd be climbing to the 7th spot I think
nixluva
USA
2/14/2017  9:37 AM
smackeddog wrote:Some good wins tonight- Magic, pelicans and Sixers- if we'd lost the Spurs game we'd be climbing to the 7th spot I think

Yeah it was a nice win but costly. I'm at the point where I feel Phil has to take action to ensure we move towards the future. It's the Fools Gold of being able to try and make a push for the playoffs! These players will try and that could lead to just enough wins to mess up our draft position. I see no long term benefits this time. I usually like to have young guys get playoff experience but not with a 1st rd pick that could be another piece to our long term future.
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

2/14/2017  9:48 AM
There's a problem with tanking though. It installs bad habits in players. Many of these players are going to come back.

Willy and KP will for sure I would guess.
O'Quinn, Holiday, Jennings, Lee, Noah, Thomas, Kuz.

That's like 9 players in a top 11 rotation for next year who may be back. You want them to lose and play as if it doesn't matter. The way the Knicks are built, they need to try and win as many games as possible, but as fans we should be ok with losing because it helps our draft positioning.

We will be adding a 10th player to the above players I mentioned, and that's likely the lottery pick. I like that. The other move we have to make is likely trade Melo, who will be in his last year of his deal anyway (I can't see Melo not opt out after next season and go for 3-4 more years at guaranteed money). Probably 1 or 2 free agent signings. That's your roster right there for next season. 13 spots right there if we keep Jennings and Holiday in free agency (which we should).

As much as I'd like to say it's great we tank, I think it's far better for KP's and Willy's development, it's far better for the team's chances next year for this team to close the season strong. If this team wins half their remaining games, that'll put them at 36 or 37 wins for the season. The way the East is that may even be enough to be a low playoff seed. I'm not saying I even want the team to win that many games or be in the playoffs. I'm just saying that they should not approach the rest of the season to lose. That's not a winning culture or environment. Plus, it's not like we can completely overhaul the roster, change coaching staffs etc. again. We're going to have some continuity. Hornachek will get another season to show what he can do. Many of these players are on 3-4 year deals. There's going to KP, Willy and our lottery pick. Knicks need to form good habits on offense at the very least. They've been playing good basketball on offense the last few games. Really good. They need to keep that ball movement and teamwork up. It's the right way to play.

crzymdups
USA
2/14/2017  12:57 PM

Not to be a downer but can we keep the tank talk in its own thread and just talk about prospects in this thread? This thread is my happy place, where I don't have to think about the current Knicks team.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/14/2017  1:27 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
fishmike wrote:

KP and Willy barely played also. He will have to be scouted, however he was a monster in the Jr circuit from what I have read. His vids look super long. This would be a pick if we miss the other good guards. It would be someone to keep an eye on. I know Phil loves long tall defensive PGs (like Jose and Rose) so I expect him to get a long look from us if available. Just looking at wings that might be available if we get stuck in the 10-14 draft range.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
2/14/2017  2:09 PM
crzymdups wrote:
Not to be a downer but can we keep the tank talk in its own thread and just talk about prospects in this thread? This thread is my happy place, where I don't have to think about the current Knicks team.

We need to keep track of our draft positioning- it affects the prospects we're zoning in on

crzymdups
USA
2/14/2017  2:35 PM
smackeddog wrote:
crzymdups wrote:

We need to keep track of our draft positioning- it affects the prospects we're zoning in on

Yes, that's one thing, but I was responding to a long drawn out post about the pluses and minuses of tanking. Draft position is one thing. The morality of tanking probably could be in its own thread. Just being cranky and tired of seeing the tank or not to tank argument.

¿ △ ?
nixluva
USA
2/14/2017  3:01 PM
I'm starting to feel pretty good about the Knicks prospects in this draft. There are so many talented young players that pretty much anywhere the Knicks land will provide a quality player for the future. Of course the higher the better but this is a pretty deep draft and I think our scouts will have a lot to choose from.
Knixkik
USA
2/14/2017  3:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/14/2017  3:20 PM
nixluva wrote:I'm starting to feel pretty good about the Knicks prospects in this draft. There are so many talented young players that pretty much anywhere the Knicks land will provide a quality player for the future. Of course the higher the better but this is a pretty deep draft and I think our scouts will have a lot to choose from.

To me there are 12 really good prospects then a huge dropoff, and a bunch of PF/C types. Of the 12 elite prospects, 10 of them are either PG, SG, or SF. So it is important to land one of those 10. I would take any of them and feel like we got a great longterm core player. Ball, Fultz, Jackson, Isaac, D Smith, Fox, Monk, Tatum, Ntilikina, or Bridges.

nixluva
USA
2/14/2017  7:26 PM
Knixkik wrote:
nixluva wrote:I'm starting to feel pretty good about the Knicks prospects in this draft. There are so many talented young players that pretty much anywhere the Knicks land will provide a quality player for the future. Of course the higher the better but this is a pretty deep draft and I think our scouts will have a lot to choose from.

To me there are 12 really good prospects then a huge dropoff, and a bunch of PF/C types. Of the 12 elite prospects, 10 of them are either PG, SG, or SF. So it is important to land one of those 10. I would take any of them and feel like we got a great longterm core player. Ball, Fultz, Jackson, Isaac, D Smith, Fox, Monk, Tatum, Ntilikina, or Bridges.

I agree!!! Some real nice talent. I really like Jackson, Tatum and Bridges.

2017 NBA Draft Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy