[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: BAKER RE-SIGNING MAY KO DAMPIER
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/10/2004  10:24 AM
with restricted FA, agents have very little pull. they are more like arbiters now.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/10/2004  10:30 AM
You still need size... Baker is a good stop gap move in the front court. Getting younger is clearly a priority, but there is no reason not to address a need, and Baker clearly fills one.
Didnt you just start a thread in the last 2-3 days saying something like "it may be inconsequential to some, but we have no size."

Do you want to address the problem or dont you? If not then just start KT at center and give Sweetney minutes at the 4 and your moving towards the future. If you can about size and winning more games giving Baker 2-3 year deal at $3mm per is a good move.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/10/2004  10:38 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by martin:
Posted by joec32033:

I start Vin...Nazr need to improve his rebounding consistency and defense bfore I start him.

Vin may have been in an out-of-shape state last year, and it showed on the defensive end - he was like a siv out there on D. Can't really speak for his rebounding efforts.

I still start Nazr and have Vin come off the bench unless Vin shows some of his former self in the post.

ONe thihng that stands out in my head last year (I think it was against Philly, but I am not sure)...Vin blocked a shot on one end, got it to a guard and took off and ended up getting fed down at the other end. Vin's defense may have been bad, but Nazr's was at best alot worse than Vin's. I can't remember when Nazr even blocked a shot. Nazr is a ver good offensive center who isn't strong and seems to have ADD on the defensive end. Baker brings alot more to the table, IMO. His all-star years may have come at PF, and if he is our center, I still think we need a big center (both VIn and Nazr seem preimeter oriented and are finesse guys) which is why I like Dampier.

I remember that play, but I also remember a lot of plays where Vin was just standing around.
What we really need is another Patrick Ewing. I loved that guy.

It was suggested on another board, I think, about going after Mourning. I would do that. I thought before his injury Mourning was another Bill Russell, I was/am a huge Mourning fan and would love to see him come back in a Knicks uni. Of course, this would have to be a minimum risk, low price contract.

Mourning is just earning too much these days and can't be trusted to play more than a handful of games. Thorn made some brilliant moves for the Nets, the Mourning signing was not one of them.

But Baker didn't spend alot of time on the Knicks....he wasn't playing for long periods of time before he came to the Knicks...That just standing around could be that he was unfamiliar, out of shape....I think Baker is a decent stop gap sign ing until we can draft the next Patrick Ewing or Zo...

Regarding Mourning, I have no idea why the hell Thorn would give Mourning that big of a contract. That was an extremely dumb move (they did the same thing with Mutumbo, they are really desperate for centers with baggage--must make Collins feel really wanted). I think that Mourning at the LLE or Vet minimum would be a greeat signing...low risk, decent reward. If Mourning is healthy (BIG IF), and 80% Mourning is better than a 100% Nazr or an 90% Baker...
~You can't run from who you are.~
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/10/2004  10:44 AM
Originally posted by TimmyTTop
u think he then will screw over his client bc they had a lil problem in the past

Yes i do. Goodwin will think the Isiah doesnt stick to his word, and why should he go out of his way for him, like he dd with Crawford. Lets face it, without Goodwin's cooperation the deal for Craw would never have gone through.

That goodwill is very important. And its not the size of the deal that counts to Goodwin, its the fact that in his eyes Isiah went back on his word.

Having said that, what Franco12 said before is also right. Goodwin should be able to see the bigger picture, and acknowledge that getting Damps is more important then resigning Baker. Then im sure Isiah will promise him part of the MLE next year. But to blank him out would be a big mistake for the future IMO.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/10/2004  10:48 AM
Posted by joec32033:

Regarding Mourning, I have no idea why the hell Thorn would give Mourning that big of a contract. That was an extremely dumb move

He didn't have a lot of choice, as it as been reported many times that Kidd demanded zo to be offereed such a contract.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/10/2004  10:55 AM
Posted by joec32033:

But Baker didn't spend alot of time on the Knicks....he wasn't playing for long periods of time before he came to the Knicks...That just standing around could be that he was unfamiliar, out of shape....I think Baker is a decent stop gap sign ing until we can draft the next Patrick Ewing or Zo...

Baker also had surgery to correct an irregular heartbeat that had been misdiagnosed and he was in the throws of a drinking problem.Any one of those problems would be enough to derail him.Hopefully baker will stay on the right track and he seems to think that surgery will help him get back his game.If it does the Knicks got themselves a bargain.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/10/2004  11:18 AM
Posted by raven:
Posted by joec32033:

Regarding Mourning, I have no idea why the hell Thorn would give Mourning that big of a contract. That was an extremely dumb move

He didn't have a lot of choice, as it as been reported many times that Kidd demanded zo to be offereed such a contract.

I doubt Kidd said to over pay ZO...Kidd wanted to play with him...so they should've offered him a contract, I agree that Kidd may have played a part in getting him to the nets, but I think his demand had a minimal effect on the financial side of things...
~You can't run from who you are.~
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/10/2004  11:41 AM
I don't even think Mourning is attempting a comeback, I remember after his kidney transplant people were asking him if he would ever try to come back to the NBA and he said no. He might have changed his mind by then but I still don't see why any of you guys would want him. I would only trade for him if they gave us an unprotected first round pick. Zo has no more value as a player, he is done, its as simple as that.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
8/10/2004  12:22 PM
NY trades KT
NY gets Zo & NJ's future conditional 1st round pick

DAL trades Laettner & 2nd round pick
DAL gets KT

NJ trades Zo & future conditional 1st round pick
NJ gets Laettner & DAL's 2nd round pick

- even if Zo's comeback were unsuccessful, NY still makes out nicely by getting another 1st round pick & unloading KT's contract, & the Knicks would be deep enough to account for KT's absence with Sweetney ready to take over at PF & Baker & JYD as able backups

- DAL gets very good value for Laettner & their 2nd rounder

- NJ gets the cap relief they want...consider the fact that the Nets just gave away Kerry Kittles for cap relief & a 2nd round pick...& they gave up K-Mart for cap space & 3 picks...i think getting rid of Zo's longterm deal would be worth a conditional 1st rounder to them based on their moves so far this offseason...& the loss of a restricted 1st rounder is offset somewhat by them getting DAL's 2nd round pick as well...teams that are looking to cut salary seem to be drawn to 2nd rounders since they don't carry any guaranteed contracts.

- Zo gets to play on a team that has a better chance of competing than the Nets who would WANT him (i KNOW Isiah would welcome adding a warrior like Zo to the roster, even w/the risk associated w/his kidney)...plus, he gets to follow in his old pal Ewing's footsteps & playing at the Garden, where i'm sure he would be happy to end his career...& NY is close to all his charities that he runs & his treatment centers for his ailment, so he wouldn't have to move either.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NY Post: BAKER RE-SIGNING MAY KO DAMPIER

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy