Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/10/2004  3:09 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/26597.htm

BAKER RE-SIGNING MAY KO DAMPIER

By MARC BERMAN

August 10, 2004 --

If Vin Baker re-signs this week as one source says will occur, it will eliminate the Knicks' longshot hope of having center Erick Dampier sign for the $4.9 million mid-level exception. Yes, one is related to the other, and that's been cause for the delay.

Once Baker signs for more than half of the mid-level, the Knicks could still get Dampier via a sign-and-trade with Golden State. However, the Warriors have rejected the latest Knicks' offers, and Isiah Thomas knows how difficult pulling off one summer sign-and-trade is — let alone two.

Even though agent Aaron Goodwin is on vacation this week, a source close to Baker said, "I do believe he'll be signed this week, and it even could be [today]."

Goodwin predicted Baker's signing two weeks ago, and a source close to Thomas thought it would occur early last week. But when Dampier visited New York last Wednesday, claiming to be considering the Knicks' mid-level, Thomas paused. But it appears Dampier's remark was a strategic ploy to bump Atlanta's standing offer of $8M per and motivate the Warriors to deal.

"We want Vin to still be part of the family and we also want Dampier as part of the family," Thomas said. "My job is to try to find a way to make both work. They're both a priority."

AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

8/10/2004  4:35 AM
I dont get how we could POSSSIBLY sign baker for the MLE if that meant we couldent get dampier... i just dont ****in get it
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/10/2004  4:53 AM
Read the article again. Dampier never really intended to sign with us with the MLE, it was just a way to push gloden state to accept a s&t.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/10/2004  5:35 AM
Thing is, Aaron Goodwin is the most powerful agent in the game. And he and Isiah definately have a deal regarding Baker in conjunction with the Crawford deal. If Isiah screws Goodwin now, he WILL get his revenge some time in the future.

The next time we try and get a major star, who happens to be a client of Goodwin's its not gonna happen.

Isah has to weigh that up(the and the loss of his respectability with most agents, cuz Goodwin's not gonna stay quiet over it) over getting Damp.

What he's going to do, noone but Isiah knows. But it is a risk.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Rich
USA
8/10/2004  6:12 AM
Posted by firefly:

Thing is, Aaron Goodwin is the most powerful agent in the game. And he and Isiah definately have a deal regarding Baker in conjunction with the Crawford deal. If Isiah screws Goodwin now, he WILL get his revenge some time in the future.

The next time we try and get a major star, who happens to be a client of Goodwin's its not gonna happen.

Isah has to weigh that up(the and the loss of his respectability with most agents, cuz Goodwin's not gonna stay quiet over it) over getting Damp.

Except Mullin may be in the process of screwing Goodwin, because Dampier opted out of his contract, and he isn't willing to facilitate the kind of sign and trade that will make his client happy. Next year, a couple of Warriors who are Goodwin's clients will be FAs (Richardson is one, IIRC). Will that come back to haunt GS in their dealings with Goodwin? Not necessarily.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/10/2004  6:30 AM
no no no. Youre thinking about Dan Fegan. Dampier is Fegans client, as is Richardson. Goodwin is BAKER'S agent, and we will be screwing him is we get Damps on the MLE.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Rich
USA
8/10/2004  6:43 AM
My bad.
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
8/10/2004  7:30 AM
I think Knicks are going to get DAmpier. Look how happy he was with Penn. Unless he was bull****ing, I think he truely wants to be in NY
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
8/10/2004  8:26 AM
Posted by matt:

I think Knicks are going to get DAmpier. Look how happy he was with Penn. Unless he was bull****ing, I think he truely wants to be in NY

Wanting to be here is one thing, $50 million guaranteed is another thing. I can't ever remember a player taking less except for Danny Manning, Karl Malone and Gary Payton - and the all ended up getting screwed.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/10/2004  8:39 AM
let see how it plays out. I like Baker at $3mm per, there is nothing wrong with that. He had some nice moments for us, and he was lights out for the first 2 months w/ Bos. Who knows about the impact of the heart surgury thing or how that plays out but there is clearly an upside w/ Vin and for a usefull bigman $3mm is a steal.

His first 16 games in Bos he went for 15/7 and 1 block and 1 steal in just over 30 minutes. We are looking at him as the backup center.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/10/2004  8:49 AM
Posted by fishmike:

let see how it plays out. I like Baker at $3mm per, there is nothing wrong with that. He had some nice moments for us, and he was lights out for the first 2 months w/ Bos. Who knows about the impact of the heart surgury thing or how that plays out but there is clearly an upside w/ Vin and for a usefull bigman $3mm is a steal.

His first 16 games in Bos he went for 15/7 and 1 block and 1 steal in just over 30 minutes. We are looking at him as the backup center.
I agree; if the Knicks can't get Dampier for the MLE, I think a healthy Baker is a great acquisition.
If Baker's healthy and the same player he was at the start of the year in Boston, who would you start at center: Vin or Nazy?
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/10/2004  8:55 AM
I start Vin...Nazr need to improve his rebounding consistency and defense bfore I start him.
~You can't run from who you are.~
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/10/2004  8:56 AM
I would think if Damp was going to sign for the MLE, its for one year and he might be gone next year.

I would get Baker signed with the LLE for one year, and tell him next year he'll get part of the MLE.

gets tricky making those kinds of promises, but Isiah can honestly tell goodwin and baker that he had no way of knowing he could get Damp for the MLE and that if they'll be team players, the team will be better off.

Bakers got a lot of money coming still from the Celts and I imagine he would feel good being on a team that can go far- and that is the knicks were they to sign Damps to the MLE...
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/10/2004  9:07 AM
Posted by joec32033:

I start Vin...Nazr need to improve his rebounding consistency and defense bfore I start him.

Vin may have been in an out-of-shape state last year, and it showed on the defensive end - he was like a siv out there on D. Can't really speak for his rebounding efforts.

I still start Nazr and have Vin come off the bench unless Vin shows some of his former self in the post.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/10/2004  9:30 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by joec32033:

Vin may have been in an out-of-shape state last year, and it showed on the defensive end - he was like a siv out there on D. Can't really speak for his rebounding efforts.

I still start Nazr and have Vin come off the bench unless Vin shows some of his former self in the post.

ONe thihng that stands out in my head last year (I think it was against Philly, but I am not sure)...Vin blocked a shot on one end, got it to a guard and took off and ended up getting fed down at the other end. Vin's defense may have been bad, but Nazr's was at best alot worse than Vin's. I can't remember when Nazr even blocked a shot. Nazr is a ver good offensive center who isn't strong and seems to have ADD on the defensive end. Baker brings alot more to the table, IMO. His all-star years may have come at PF, and if he is our center, I still think we need a big center (both VIn and Nazr seem preimeter oriented and are finesse guys) which is why I like Dampier.

What we really need is another Patrick Ewing. I loved that guy.

It was suggested on another board, I think, about going after Mourning. I would do that. I thought before his injury Mourning was another Bill Russell, I was/am a huge Mourning fan and would love to see him come back in a Knicks uni. Of course, this would have to be a minimum risk, low price contract.
~You can't run from who you are.~
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/10/2004  9:49 AM
Vin Baker made some spine tingling moves that last game against Nets. He showed he could still be effective.....For a few possessions
the Nets couldn't check him.

Dude has no heart though. He didn't protect Timmy.....He wasn't really aggressive enough to back-up his talk that he still can play.

I still want him but Knicks need Damp first.

Nazr is fine at center....I dunno what you guys are griping about his strength, defense and rebounding. Nazr was more than solid last year for us.

One of the real reasons I want Damp is to trade KT.....I think Nazr is not the player Damp is but Nazr is no slouch.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/10/2004  9:54 AM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by martin:
Posted by joec32033:

ONe thihng that stands out in my head last year (I think it was against Philly, but I am not sure)...Vin blocked a shot on one end, got it to a guard and took off and ended up getting fed down at the other end. Vin's defense may have been bad, but Nazr's was at best alot worse than Vin's. I can't remember when Nazr even blocked a shot. Nazr is a ver good offensive center who isn't strong and seems to have ADD on the defensive end. Baker brings alot more to the table, IMO. His all-star years may have come at PF, and if he is our center, I still think we need a big center (both VIn and Nazr seem preimeter oriented and are finesse guys) which is why I like Dampier.

I remember that play, but I also remember a lot of plays where Vin was just standing around.
What we really need is another Patrick Ewing. I loved that guy.

It was suggested on another board, I think, about going after Mourning. I would do that. I thought before his injury Mourning was another Bill Russell, I was/am a huge Mourning fan and would love to see him come back in a Knicks uni. Of course, this would have to be a minimum risk, low price contract.

Mourning is just earning too much these days and can't be trusted to play more than a handful of games. Thorn made some brilliant moves for the Nets, the Mourning signing was not one of them.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/10/2004  10:09 AM
I would trade Zo for Nazr straight up if we got at least a #1 and a #2 from the Nets (remember they got 3 #1s). We could absorb the cost of Zo not playing ang get a future asset(s) as well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
timmyTtop
Member: #680
8/10/2004  10:21 AM
Posted by firefly:

you r such a drama queen its not even funny. if goodwins client gets a great deal from ny in the future, u think he then will screw over his client bc they had a lil problem in the past with vin baker whose contract would have been worth squat in comoparison to the graet player at hand? these r just rumors to spice things up with the dampier saying he'd consider the MLE from ny and he doesnt wanna be on a rebuilding team bc guess what, atlanta and golden state are both rebuilding teams, so that would signal them to look elsewhere. and there is no reason why that should push for a sign and trade for golden state, it has nothing to do with them, only the players they will be getting from the knicks (that they dont want anyway). u guys seriously need to read between the lines when a reporter writes.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/10/2004  10:22 AM
i thought that we were trying to get younger? signing baker who will be 33 to a long term contract at more than 3mm doesnt make to much sense--sounds like we are bidding against ourselves again--how about vin LLE or bye-bye
trading for zo is a rather desperate foolish sounding move. how about no way in hll.
RIP Crushalot😞
NY Post: BAKER RE-SIGNING MAY KO DAMPIER

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy