[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

speaking of $$$ and athletisicm...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/9/2004  9:55 PM
How much $$$ is Michael Dickerson still due? I know he's retired because of the Knee injury and I think his cap number is about $8mm.

The only reason I'm asking is because of Stro Swift. While West says he will match any offer I'm inclined to see if he will really pay Swift $38mm over 6 years to back up Pau Gasol... and if he IS going to match why did he sign Brian Cardinal long term? Where are his minutes coming?

It just doesnt make sense. Swift isnt a center but he fills a lot of needs for us and we could run him out there with no problem. I would much rather have Swift then Baker or Dampier, but if you make the full MLE offer you probably lose any chance to get one of those two as a consilation prize.

Thoughts?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/9/2004  10:38 PM
According to hoopshype, Dickerson is owed $31 mil over the next 4 years. However, I thought that because of his injury, the Grizz were relieved of most of their salary obligations to him (even though he still counts against the cap). I could be wrong, though.

It's impossible to know whether the Grizz would match an MLE offer to Stro Swift, but I'd love to have him on the Knicks. If Baker's heart surgery really has improved his energy and ability, then he'd be a better short-term answer at center, though. Another thing to consider is that it would take less than the full MLE to get Baker. You could probably get both Baker and Keon Clark with the MLE. Who would you rather have: Stro Swift or Baker AND Clark? If Baker's surgery helps him and Clark's ankle is fully healed, I'd pick them over Stro
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/9/2004  10:46 PM
I would love swift, but West has put on a good poker face by saying he would match(which I would expect him to say), but he is the kind of player that we need in NY, very long, tall and athletic, can block shots and rebound.. I say we make a run at him...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
8/9/2004  10:49 PM
if say we do offer him the MLE, and say west does match it, can we still use the mle right away on someone else? congrats Bonn you broke 1000
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
8/10/2004  12:23 AM
Zeke's first choice would be Dampier. But if that falls through, or we get him through a sign and trade, I would definately hope Zeke tries to sign Swift before Baker.
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/10/2004  5:18 AM
west would f... us if we happened to offer swift the full MLE. He would clamly wait 15 days, while crippling our last mean to get a free agent and then, would match him as he did he said.

Two reasons for that.

1 - he doesn't care, he doesn't pay the check
2 - he said it, and to be respected you have to do what you said you would do. matter of credibility.
3 - a full mle for swift is nothing, as he knows that even with that kind of contract, he would be able to move him so easily that he wouldn't even waste a second to laugh at us

French guys can't count.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/10/2004  5:40 AM
Im not so sure about Swift. The Grizz last year has amazing chemistry, with people coming off the bench know exactly what they have to do, and for how long. Can Swift start? We dont know yet. But dont forget, Eddie Robinson as also 'one of the most athletic people in the game' and look at him.

So, A. I would take Dampier for the MLE over Swift, just because its short term, he may be fightiing for a contract again and we KNOW he can start games.
and B. I would agree with Bonn and take Baker and Clark over swift, once again because those deals would also be short term deals, and if Baker can be the man he was at the start of last season for the Celts, we would'nt even be thinking about Nazr, let alone Swift.

No?
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
fishmike
USA
8/10/2004  8:27 AM
Who would you rather have: Stro Swift or Baker AND Clark?

I dont want Clark at all under any circumstances. Thats how little I think of him. I would rather have Ales on IR all year then have Clark. I would rather have Nazr, Kurt or my mom get any minutes Keon Clark would get. This guy is terrible, has zero skills. He had one good stretch in Tor rebounding and blocking some shots. He was garbage before then, garbage after and garbage now.

I would take the 24 year Swift any day of the week
fishmike
USA
8/10/2004  8:29 AM
...also I understand thats what West said, but nobody offered any insight on my questoin. West just signed Brian Cardinal for 5 years plus. Where is he going to play?
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
8/10/2004  9:11 AM
He doesn't care. Swift can be an asset during the season, heck, coupled with bonzi and fillers you could get a nice deal with that package.

Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
8/10/2004  9:13 AM
Hey Fish. I still can't see why you're so high on Swift. Yes he's a former #2 pick and sure he has a lot of athleticism, but what else does he bring to the table? He's a dumb player, which is not something we need, he's not a center and possibly not even good enough to be a starter. Unless we're looking for another backup to put next to Nazr, I just don't see it. Dampier is a starter, Swift isn't, and that's the bottomline for me. If we can't get Dampier, I consider Swift the consolation, not vice versa.

As for Keon Clark, why are you so down on him? He's really had the injury bug the past few years. I wouldn't say he's been garbage. He's been decent for what you expect from a center. He blocks shots, gets a few points off putbacks and steadies your defense. I wouldn't give him more than part of the MLE at this point, but Clark would not be a bad pickup. My only issue is that Clark *really* only wants to play in warm weather areas, which NY is not.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
8/10/2004  9:23 AM
Fish has a valid point. Logo signed Brian Cardinal a nice hustle player to a long term contract. He plays like Swift except without the crazy athleticism. I don't know how he would find the time to play them both but maybe Swift is their starting PF while Cardinal is the back up? Gasol is of course the starting center with Jake Tsakilidis as the back up. That would make sense to me.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
fishmike
USA
8/10/2004  9:24 AM
a guy I work out with is a Jason Williams fanatic. When Jay went to the Grizz that became his team, and over the past 2-3 years I have seen more Grizz games than any other team beside the Knicks. Stro isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, but he does work his tail off. Also his athleticism is off the charts. I've watched him grow alot in the last few years also. He's developed an excellent mid range shot to go with a couple nice post moves. He's good on the boards and his athleticism and shot blocking has a big impact on the game.

You right he's not a starting center, but moving forward he could be a huge part of the frontcourt rotation because of what he offers. He can guard PFs and most centers.

Picture KT, but able to jump 2 feet higher, block shots with anyone in the NBA and 6 years younger.

As for Clark I have never ever seen him do anything that made me want him on my team. He strikes me as a lazy toker that doesnt take care of himself or really care about basketball.

Solace, nice to hear from you.
fishmike
USA
8/10/2004  9:26 AM
playing Gasol at center is like playing KVH at center. They are both big, they are both good rebounders and neither is close to being a center. your hurting Gasol's impact by asking him to do things he's not comfortable with or built to do.
KNICKSdom
USA
8/10/2004  9:51 AM
HAHAHA I agree it is like putting KVH at center. But sadly what options do they have at center? I would actually let Gasol play center offensively but on D he can switch to guarding the other team's PF while Stro with his strength and shotblocking ability can guard the other team's C a la Ben Wallace. It is all about adjusting the defensive rotations which I think their ancient coach understand it well.
Bonn1997
USA
8/10/2004  9:52 AM
Posted by fishmike:

As for Clark I have never ever seen him do anything that made me want him on my team. He strikes me as a lazy toker that doesnt take care of himself or really care about basketball.
If Baker's given about $3 mil, how would you spend the remaining $1.9 mil of the MLE? I don't think you're going to get someone better than Clark who can give you rebounding, blocked shots, and some put backs
Bonn1997
USA
8/10/2004  9:53 AM
Posted by KNICKSdom:

HAHAHA I agree it is like putting KVH at center. But sadly what options do they have at center?
Their center is Lorenzen Wright
KNICKSdom
USA
8/10/2004  10:03 AM
That's right, I forgot about Wright. It is no wonder Logo wants Dampier as well. Their only true center is Jake Tsakilidis. Stro is still better than Wright and without him that Memphis frontcourt could take a BIG hit. I believe with Logo wanting Dampier which he can easily sign and trade by offering Stro wants a line up of Damp at C and Gasol at PF. How about that?
fishmike
USA
8/10/2004  10:06 AM
If Baker's given about $3 mil, how would you spend the remaining $1.9 mil of the MLE?

I dont use it at all... why do we HAVE to use it?

Save it and then you have a little extra to offer some guy that guys dumped in midseason. Eddie Griffen, Vin Baker.. these kinds of guys.

I'm happy if we just sign Baker and move from there. Hopefully Sweetney has a MONSTER October and can win the starting job.

I'm not even opposed to starting KT at center and Sweetney at PF. Yes its short on height but you have Nazr 6'10 and Baker 6'11 off the bench and both are quality bench players. My biggest beef w/ KT playing center was that he wore down late in games because he just wasnt big enough and strong enough to play center for 35 minutes.. but if you remember that season of starting Eisley, Houston, Spree, Harrington and KT I believe we won 37 games.. we just couldnt close. My point is with the depth of Baker and Nazr it shouldnt be as much as a problem.

Simple fact is we ned a center and KT isnt it, but this seems like the best moving forward. It will inflate KT's #s and value as a guy that can play both spots and Sweetney will get valuable minutes.

This is all about forward thinking, not how to win an extra 2-3 games this season.

Same with Swfit
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

8/10/2004  10:21 AM
Posted by tkf:

I would love swift, but West has put on a good poker face by saying he would match(which I would expect him to say), but he is the kind of player that we need in NY, very long, tall and athletic, can block shots and rebound.. I say we make a run at him...

I want Swift for those same reasons, but I never seen Swift put the ball on the floor and score. I mean post game. He's not quick and aggressive with the ball like K-Mart but he posseses all of K-Marts other skills. He's still not a center.

I still want him though cuz he's at the year in his career now where he has like 4 years experience and he's still not quite 25 yet. Same boat Crawford is in....he's at the brink of being a star or just a career role player. Everytime he's gotten big minutes he's produced big.

Isiah just got what he wanted in the backcourt so now I guess the revamping of the front court be the next thing on the to do list.

[Edited by - enyspree on 08/10/2004 10:28:58]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
speaking of $$$ and athletisicm...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy