[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

penny is not done!!
Author Thread
nadavshomron
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #623
Israel
8/9/2004  7:31 PM
i read here a lot about that 3 guard offence and the new trio of marb+houston+craw but people tend to forget we still have penny who is a great leader and still can play a solid ball.
i think we should look at our guards as the most talented 4 guards in the nba.
penny had a great playoffs and lenny likes him a lot so expect to see a lot of penny this season...
i like the guy and think he can help us get a championship for him and for us.
we will be a force come next season
LJ FOR 4!!!!
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
8/9/2004  8:27 PM
Penny is definitely not done, he proved that in the playoffs to the doubters. I think Lenny will find enough minutes for him as a backup PG and a backup SF.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/9/2004  8:31 PM
I'd play him exclusively at SF and as a backup guard if/when Houston is injured. He's a great role player, but he's not good enough to take minutes away from Marbury, a healthy Houston, or Crawford. This Knicks team is extremely deep. It's one of the very few teams in the league that would struggle to find more than 15 mpg for a player as talented as Penny
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/9/2004  8:41 PM
Phoenix wasn't particularly deep, yet Penny couldn't get off the bench.

I think Penny has a lot of game left--- but robbed of his all-world athleticism, he's nothing more than a very good role player. Good all around skills--- you won't notice much of a dropoff in quality if you called to the bench.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
s3231
USA
8/9/2004  8:58 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'd play him exclusively at SF and as a backup guard if/when Houston is injured. He's a great role player, but he's not good enough to take minutes away from Marbury, a healthy Houston, or Crawford. This Knicks team is extremely deep. It's one of the very few teams in the league that would struggle to find more than 15 mpg for a player as talented as Penny

Yea I agree, we can't really give too much minutes to Penny because he would take away from our 3 guard rotation. We definitely have a ton of depth, which means that Shandon shouldn't get any minutes
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
8/9/2004  9:00 PM
Can I start another thread: Who is better, Penny or H2O?

I really think Penny is better than H2O
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
TheSage
Member: #386
8/9/2004  9:27 PM
Silver -you surprised me witht he playalike comment. Yes, Penny was the possibly the second most talented guard and possibly the the best all around point at his height but his skills have dimishedalthough he does play smart but to put him up against one of the three purest shooters in the league and a guy who has proved to be clutch is a big big stretch.
s3231
USA
8/9/2004  9:42 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Can I start another thread: Who is better, Penny or H2O?

I really think Penny is better than H2O

Penny has always been my favorite basketball player of all time. However, even I have to admit that a healthy Houston is definitely better than Penny is right now. If I was asked who was better in their prime, Penny or Allan, then I would definitely say Penny. He was a top 10 player in the league and he was quickly becoming a superstar until the injuries took over.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/9/2004  10:25 PM
Posted by technomaster:

Phoenix wasn't particularly deep, yet Penny couldn't get off the bench.
Huh? In his last 3 seasons with the Suns he played 26, 31, and 31 mpg.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
8/10/2004  6:02 AM
Cmon Silver! Penny can be a lot of things for this team. He can be a leader, he can hustle, he can make the smart play. But Houston when healthy is a 20ppg scorer, regardless of his lack of rebounding.He can post his man, hes not selfish, he has an awesome midrange game and he can hit those last second threes with his eyes shut.

Dont underestimate him just because he doesnt hustle like we want him to.

Id take a healthy Houston any day of the week.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Silverfuel
USA
8/10/2004  7:00 AM
Posted by firefly:

Cmon Silver! Penny can be a lot of things for this team. He can be a leader, he can hustle, he can make the smart play. But Houston when healthy is a 20ppg scorer, regardless of his lack of rebounding.
I know everyone is getting tired of the Houston bashing but its not just his lack of rebounding, its his refusal to rebound. OH!! I forgot play defense, drive, run without the ball, pass more, get to the line more!!
The problem with the 20ppg is it comes with only jump shots. If he drives a little more and gets to the FT line only twice more a game it would be 24ppg.
He can post his man, hes not selfish, he has an awesome midrange game and he can hit those last second threes with his eyes shut.
POST HIS MAN? Maybe. Not selfish because he is afraid of taking any blame and the last second shots he does get open for, yes he can hit them. I hope he learns to run without the ball like Reggie and Peja. He can shoot with them, why can he not run with them?
Dont underestimate him just because he doesnt hustle like we want him to.
I hate him cause he doesn't hustle. I do not need to underestimate him. He can shoot lights out, no doubt but its quite unfortunate there is no other dimension to him.
Id take a healthy Houston any day of the week.
Unfortunately, so have the knicks.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
8/10/2004  7:04 AM
Who said Penny's done? He is just more likely to play the 3 than than the 2, unless Houston is done.
Silverfuel
USA
8/10/2004  7:07 AM
Posted by Rich:

Houston is done.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/10/2004  9:08 AM
Penny had a few flashes for us last year, but his shooting was pretty abominable- .390%.

Allan last year shot .431% from the three point line.

If Penny can improve that, great- but I don't want someone who can't hit open shots out there if we have Marbury, Houston and Jamal.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
8/10/2004  9:13 AM
Penny is great with limited minutes. If he has to play a lot, his % drops drastically.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/10/2004  10:20 AM
you get smart play, good defense and solid ball handling from Penny at this point. Right now I see him as getting 10-15 minutes at the 3 if Houston is healthy. If Houston isnt healthy Penny will get a lot more time playing the 1/2/3 behind Crawford, Marb and TT.

Penny is an example of a player who was once dominating in the league thats been taken down notches because of injuries. Hopefully he relishes the teaching role and is positive for guys like Ariza and Crawford... because thats how he can help us the most.

I think its a forgone conclusion he's traded in his walk year or we just let his contract expire all together.

I was a little suprised at how bad his shot was... this is the scary thing about Houston... how the knee can affect the jumper.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/10/2004  10:28 AM

Penny had great talent but in my view is the poster boy for all is wrong with the NBA.

Penny was a whiner, got huge bucks, selfish, and when it mattered did not keep himself in shape which contributed to his mounting injuries. Yeah, some players avoid injury when put in the time.

Sorry, I could care less if he was here or not. Dude had no character or personality. They had to make a lil penny doll to market his name. That was funny as hell, and I wish I had a little penny doll. Chris Rock!
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
8/10/2004  11:19 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Penny had great talent but in my view is the poster boy for all is wrong with the NBA.

Penny was a whiner, got huge bucks, selfish, and when it mattered did not keep himself in shape which contributed to his mounting injuries. Yeah, some players avoid injury when put in the time.

Sorry, I could care less if he was here or not. Dude had no character or personality. They had to make a lil penny doll to market his name. That was funny as hell, and I wish I had a little penny doll. Chris Rock!

You are right about Penny being that way with the magic but I dont believe he had that rep in phoenix.You are right,the injuries did bring him down a few notches but I also believe it also forced him to grow up and take stock of himself.Penny was the consumate team player last season and I think he will do even better this year(he even helped recruit Dampier)

Yes Penny is just a very good role player now but thats exactly what we need for him to be.Hopefully his shooting pct will go up next season.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/10/2004  3:34 PM
For what he gets paid, IM glad he can contribute and be a model here.

I should have said he was all wrong for the NBA of the 1990's!
simrud
Member: #474
USA
8/10/2004  8:04 PM
Kick him while he is down some more why don't you, Penny back in the day was one of the best. Attacking his character now, when he is nothing but a shell of himself, is kinda low man.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
penny is not done!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy